List of Presidents of the United States by date of death
The following is a list of Presidents of the United States by date of death, plus additional lists of presidential death related statistics. Forty-four persons have served as President of the United States since the office came into existence in 1789. Of these, thirty-eight have died.
United States Presidents by date, cause, and place of death
|= Died in office.|
|Note: Some times of death are approximate, and all are given in local times.|
Died same year, day, date, or age
- 1826: Thomas Jefferson and John Adams, both on July 4 at 12:45 PM and 6:00 PM respectively
- 1862: John Tyler and Martin Van Buren, on January 18 and July 24 respectively
- 1901: Benjamin Harrison and William McKinley, on March 13 and September 14 respectively
- March 8: Millard Fillmore in 1874 and William Howard Taft in 1930
- July 4: John Adams and Thomas Jefferson in 1826, and James Monroe in 1831
- December 26: Harry Truman in 1972 and Gerald Ford in 2006
- 93: Gerald Ford and Ronald Reagan
- 90: John Adams and Herbert Hoover
- 78: Andrew Jackson and Dwight D. Eisenhower
- 71: John Tyler and Grover Cleveland
- 67: George Washington, Benjamin Harrison and Woodrow Wilson
- 64: Franklin Pierce and Lyndon B. Johnson
- 63: Ulysses Grant and Franklin D. Roosevelt
- 60: Theodore Roosevelt and Calvin Coolidge
- 57: Chester A. Arthur and Warren G. Harding
Died before predecessor(s)
3rd President Thomas Jefferson (died 12:45 PM on July 4, 1826)
- Five hours and fifteen minutes before 2nd President John Adams (died 6:00 PM on July 4, 1826)
5th President James Monroe (died July 4, 1831)
- James Madison (died June 28, 1836) 4 years, 360 days before 4th President
7th President Andrew Jackson (died June 8, 1845)
- John Quincy Adams (died February 23, 1848) 2 years, 260 days before 6th President
9th President William Henry Harrison (died April 4, 1841)
10th President John Tyler (died January 18, 1862)
- Martin Van Buren (died July 24, 1862) 187 days before 8th President
11th President James K. Polk (died June 15, 1849)
12th President Zachary Taylor (died July 9, 1850)
14th President Franklin Pierce (died October 8, 1869)
- Millard Fillmore (died March 8, 1874) 4 years, 151 days before 13th President
15th President James Buchanan (died June 1, 1868)
16th President Abraham Lincoln (died April 15, 1865)
20th President James A. Garfield (died September 19, 1881)
21st President Chester A. Arthur (died November 19, 1886)
- Rutherford B. Hayes (died January 17, 1893) 6 years, 59 days before 19th President
25th President William McKinley (died September 14, 1901)
- Grover Cleveland (died June 24, 1908) 6 years, 284 days before 22nd & 24th President
28th President Woodrow Wilson (died February 3, 1924)
- William Howard Taft (died March 8, 1930) 6 years, 33 days before 27th President
29th President Warren Harding (died August 2, 1923)
32nd President Franklin D. Roosevelt (died April 12, 1945)
- Herbert Hoover (died October 20, 1964) 19 years, 191 days before 31st President
34th President Dwight D. Eisenhower (died March 28, 1969)
- Harry S. Truman (died December 26, 1972) 3 years, 273 days before 33rd President
35th President John F. Kennedy (died November 22, 1963)
40th President Ronald Reagan (died June 5, 2004)
- Gerald Ford (died December 26, 2006) 2 years, 204 days before 38th President
- Wallenborn, White McKenzie, M.D. (November 5, 1997). "George Washington's Terminal Illness: A Modern Medical Analysis of the Last Illness and Death of George Washington". The Papers of George Washington. University of Virginia.
- The Complete Book of U.S. Presidents.
- "Jefferson's Cause of Death". Thomas Jefferson Foundation. Retrieved August 27, 2014.
- Jane McHugh; Philip A. Mackowiak (March 31, 2014). "What Really Killed William Henry Harrison?". The New York Times. Retrieved August 27, 2014.
- Widmer, Edward L. (2008). Ark of the liberties: America and the world. New York: Hill and Wang. p. 120. ISBN 978-0-8090-2735-4. OCLC 191882004. Retrieved August 2, 2009.
- Dusinberre, William (2003). Slavemaster President: The Double Career of James Polk]. ISBN 0-19-515735-4.
- "President Zachary Taylor and the Laboratory: Presidential Visit from the Grave". Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
- Jones, Jeffrey M.; Jones, Joni L. "Presidential Stroke: United States Presidents and Cerebrovascular Disease (John Tyler)". Journal CMEs. CNS Spectrums (The International Journal of Neuropsychiatric Medicine). Retrieved August 31, 2014.
- "Former President Ulysses S. Grant dies". History. Retrieved September 1, 2014.