List of Prime Ministers of Canada by religious affiliation
In early Canadian history, religion played an important role in politics. The Conservative Party of Canada was composed mainly of Anglicans and conservative French-Canadian Catholics while the Liberal Party of Canada was backed by reform-minded French-Canadian Catholics and non-Anglican English Canadians. In more recent years, religion has played a background role in Canadian politics. Modern Prime Ministers have been reticent about discussing their faith.
- 1 Christian (23 PMs, 40 mandates)
- 2 See also
- 3 References
Christian (23 PMs, 40 mandates)
Roman Catholic (10 PMs, 18 mandates)
- Sir John Thompson (Conservative)
- Born a Methodist but converted to Catholicism when he married.
- Sir Wilfrid Laurier (Liberal)
- Strongly anti-clerical.
- Louis St. Laurent (Liberal)
- Pierre Trudeau (Liberal)
- Believer in Catholic Personalism.
- Joe Clark (Conservative)
- John Napier Turner (Liberal)
- Brian Mulroney (Conservative)
- Jean Chrétien (Liberal)
- Strongly anti-clerical in his youth.
- Paul Martin (Liberal)
- Came into conflict with the Vatican over his support for the Civil Marriage Act.
- Justin Trudeau (Liberal)
Anglican (4 PMs, 8 mandates)
- Sir John A. Macdonald (Conservative)
- Raised Presbyterian, converted in 1875.
- Sir John Abbott (Conservative)
- Sir Robert Borden (Conservative)
- Raised Presbyterian.
- Kim Campbell (Conservative)
- Does not attend church and once stated that she was "uneasy about organized religion"
Presbyterian (3 PMs, 6 mandates)
- Sir Mackenzie Bowell (Conservative)
- Orange Order leader.
- Arthur Meighen (Conservative)
- William Lyon Mackenzie King (Liberal)
- Also a believer in various forms of mysticism.
Baptist (3 PMs, 4 mandates)
- Alexander Mackenzie (Liberal)
- Sir Charles Tupper (Conservative)
- John Diefenbaker (Conservative)
United Church of Canada (2 PM, 3 mandates)
- Richard Bedford Bennett (Conservative)
- Lester B. Pearson (Liberal)
- Was a Methodist before that denomination merged into the United Church of Canada.
Christian and Missionary Alliance (1 PM, 3 mandates)
- Stephen Harper (Conservative)
- Religion in Canada
- Religious affiliations of Chancellors of Germany
- Religious affiliations of Prime Ministers of the Netherlands
- Religious affiliations of Presidents of the United States
- Brown, Robert Craig (2004). "Borden, Sir Robert Laird". Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online. Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 7 December 2006.
- Glassford, Larry A. (2004). "Meighen, Arthur". Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online. Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 7 December 2006.
- Campbell, Colin (20 February 2006). "The church of Stephen Harper". Macleans. Archived from the original on 14 November 2006. Retrieved 7 December 2006.