List of Reading F.C. records and statistics
Reading Football Club hold the record for the number of successive league wins at the start of a season, with a total of 13 wins at the start of the 1985–86 Third Division campaign and also the record for the number of points gained in a professional league season with 106 points in the 2005–06 Football League Championship campaign. Reading finished champions of their division on both of these occasions.
The club's largest win was a 10–2 victory over Crystal Palace on 4 September 1946 in the Football League Third Division South. Reading's heaviest loss was an 18–0 defeat against Preston North End in the FA Cup 1st round on 27 January 1894.
The player with the most league appearances is Martin Hicks with a total of 500 from 1978 to 1991. The most capped player is Kevin Doyle, who earned 26 for Ireland while at the club. The most league goals in total and in a season is Ronnie Blackman with 158 from 1947 to 1954 and 39 in 1951–52 respectively. The player with the most league goals in a game is Arthur Bacon with 6 against Stoke City in 1930–31. The first Reading-based player to play in the World Cup is Bobby Convey at the 2006 World Cup with the United States. The record time for a goalkeeper not conceding a goal is Steve Death at 1103 minutes in 1978–79, which is a former English league record.
Reading's highest attendance at Elm Park was in 1927, when 33,042 spectators watched Reading beat Brentford 1–0. The highest attendance at the Madejski Stadium is 24,160 for the Premier League game with Tottenham Hotspur on 16 September 2012.
The highest transfer fee received for a Reading player is the £7 million 1899 Hoffenheim paid for Gylfi Sigurdsson on 31 August 2010. The most expensive player Reading have ever bought was Emerse Fae, who cost £2.5m from Nantes on 2 August 2007.
- Highest league finish:
- Premier League 2007, 8th Place
- Most league appearances: Martin Hicks (500, 1978 to 1991)
- Most league goals: Ronnie Blackman (158, 1947 to 1954)
- Most league goals in a season: Ronnie Blackman (39, 1951–52)
- Most league goals in a game: Arthur Bacon (6 vs. Stoke City, 1930–31)
- Most penalties: Ray Reeves (22)
- Record transfer fee paid: £2.5m Emerse Fae from Nantes
- Record transfer fee received: £7.0m Gylfi Sigurdsson to 1899 Hoffenheim on 31 August 2010
- Most capped player (while at Reading): Kevin Doyle
- First Reading-based player to play in World Cup: U.S. international Bobby Convey (2006)
- Record time for goalkeeper not conceding a goal: Steve Death - 1103 minutes, 1978–79 (former English league record)
The following players have played more than 398 times for Reading, in all competitions.
The following players have scored more than 85 times for Reading, in all competitions.
- Biggest win: 10–2 v Crystal Palace (4 September 1946, Football League Third Division South)
- Heaviest defeat: 18–0 v Preston North End (27 January 1894, FA Cup 1st round)
- Longest winning sequence at the start of a season: 13 victories in 1985–86.
- Most points in a single season in any English professional league: 106 points (2005–06)
- Worst ever start to a game by a team in English football – three goals conceded after 5 minutes and 41 seconds v. Manchester United, FA Cup Fifth round replay 2007.
- "Club Honours and Records". Reading F.C. 11 July 2012. Retrieved 15 September 2012. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "club" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- "Points record". The Football League. Retrieved 7 May 2012.
- "Reading 2–1 QPR". BBC Sport. 30 April 2006. Retrieved 4 May 2006.
- "Reading Internationals". Royals' Record. Retrieved 6 May 2012.
- "United stretch lead after Van der Sar record". CNN world sport. Cable News Network. 31 January 2009. Retrieved 19 April 2012.
- van Eijden, Han (2011). "Elm Park Reading". Old Football Grounds. Archived from the original on 30 June 2009. Retrieved 1 June 2011.
- "Reading FC News - Record Attendance Set". Reading Football Club. 16 September 2012. Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- "Sigurdsson leaving in Club record deal". Reading Football Club. 31 August 2010. Retrieved 6 May 2012.
- "Fae joins for club record fee". 2 August 2007. Retrieved 3 August 2007.
- Moore, Glenn (28 February 2007). "'It is not often there is honour in defeat' says proud Coppell". London: The Independent. Retrieved 24 July 2007.