List of Roman wars and battles
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from List of Roman wars)
|This article does not cite any references (sources). (September 2012)|
8th century BC
7th century BC
6th century BC
5th century BC
- 495 BC – Battle of Aricia – consul Appius Claudius Sabinus Inregillensis and P. Servilius Priscus Structus defeat the Aurunci.
4th century BC
- Battle of Allia River (390 BC) – Gauls defeat the Romans, then sack Rome.
3rd century BC
- First Macedonian War (214-205 BC)
2nd century BC
- Battle of Placentia (194 BC) – Roman victory over the Boian Gauls
- Battle of Mutina (193 BC) – Roman victory over the Boii, decisively ending the Boian threat.
- Aetolian War (191-189 BC)
- First Servile War (135-132 BC)
- Second Servile War (104-103 BC)
1st century BC
- Second Mithridatic War (83-82 BC)
- Pompey's Georgian campaign (65 BC)
- Battle of the Teutoburg Forest (9) – German leader Arminius ambushes three Roman legions under Publius Quinctilius Varus.
- Battle of the Weser River (16) - Legions under Germanicus defeat German tribes of Arminius.
The 4th century begins with civil war resulting in the ascendancy of Constantine I, then, after his death, wars with Persia and Germanic tribes, punctuated frequently with more civil wars.
- Civil War – 366 – Battle of Thyatira – The army of the Roman emperor Valens defeats the usurper Procopius.
- Civil War – 388 – Battle of the Save – Emperor Theodosius I defeats the usurper Magnus Maximus.
- Civil War – 394 – Battle of the Frigidus – Theodosius I defeats and kills the usurper Eugenius and his Frankish magister militum Arbogast.
- Civil War – 432 – Battle of Ravenna – Bonifacius defeats rival Roman general Flavius Aetius, but is mortally wounded in the process.
- War with Visigoths – 436 – Battle of Narbonne – Flavius Aetius again defeats the Visigoths led by Theodoric.
- Bennett, J. Trajan: Optimus Princeps. 1997. Fig. 1
- Elton, Hugh and Christos Nüssli, "Imperial Battle Map Index". An Online Encyclopedia of Roman Emperors.
- "Roman Battles" map, platial.com