List of Sekirei characters
The Sekirei manga features an extensive cast of characters created by Sakurako Gokurakuin. The story centers on Minato Sahashi, a high school graduate trying to get into college, who becomes involved with Musubi, one of 108 Sekirei: super-powered humanoids that are predominantly female with unique powers who must fight in a battle royal called the Sekirei Plan. He becomes her Ashikabi, a human with special genes that allow him to activate a Sekirei's powers through "winging", which can be a mouth-to-mouth kiss. Minato soon leads a team of Sekirei residing mostly at Maison Izumo, a boarding house in North City, and must face opponents in the form of other Sekirei, many of whom have teamed with other Ashikabi and are spread throughout the districts of North City as well as other cities. Overseeing the Plan is a group called Mid Bio Informatics (MBI). New Sekirei and characters are also introduced in the media adaptations including the anime series and the video game series. Sekirei characters have had mixed reception among the Japanese and international anime communities.
- 1 Main characters
- 2 Mid Bio Informatics
- 3 South City
- 4 East City
- 5 West City
- 6 Other characters
- 7 Works cited
- 8 References
Minato Sahashi (佐橋 皆人 Sahashi Minato) is a high school graduate who had failed the college entrance exams twice. After meeting Musubi at the start of the series, he becomes an Ashikabi.Ch. 0 Over the course of the story, he "wings" several Sekirei and they share a residence in Maison Izumo where he has his own room. Originally he has a passive and somewhat cowardly personality, but over time, due to the kindness and love of his Sekirei and his desire to protect them, he becomes more confident and "manly".[volume & issue needed] He often places himself in the path of danger to protect his Sekirei from harm and avoids situations that pose a high risk of danger to prevent his Sekirei from engaging in needless fighting. Although many of his Ashikabi peers consider these actions cowardly, Minato finds that these traits endear his Sekirei to him even more. Minato's known family consists of: his mother Takami, his grandmother (whom Minato's mother stated could live another 100 years) and his younger sister Yukari. It is later revealed that Hiroto Minaka, MBI's director and CEO, is Minato's father.Ch. 100, 102
Minato has "winged" six Sekirei, each of whom physically reacted to him prior to winging, with the first five choosing him as their Ashikabi. Musubi, Kusano and Matsu were winged in the game's "First Stage", and Tsukiumi, Kazehana and Homura were winged in the "Second Stage", earning him recognition as the strongest Ashikabi in the northern part of the city. As a result, he received the title "Ashikabi of the North" (北の葦牙 Kita no Ashikabi), with few using his given name as a result of Minato being falsely described as an Ashikabi with a "shady" background. Many individuals think that Minato is somehow the key to foiling MBI's ultimate plans for the Sekirei. By the end of the Third Stage, Minato is seen with some advantages against the other remaining contestants as he is the only Ashikabi with two Jinki in his possession, one having been stolen by Matsu and the other won in battle, and for having winged the most Sekirei among the single numbers, totaling four (not including Musubi who inherited the powers of Yume, another single number), while receiving guidance from Miya (who, despite not participating in the Sekirei Fight, is known as the strongest Sekirei of all). During the final stage, Minato is chosen among the remaining Ashikabi to represent them in the final match at the Heavenly Palace to save all Sekirei and their Ashikabi. He and Musubi journey to The Heavenly Palace to fight Miya for the prize; the rest of his Sekirei join their life-forces with Musubi, defeating Miya. After the final battle, Musubi/Yume becomes the new Guardian of the Heavenly Palace and Minato must return without her. In the year that follows, Minato finally passes the entrance examination to the university, has a part-time job at MBI (now run by his mother Takami in the absence of Minaka) and is determined to learn as much about Sekirei as he can in order to "destroy this system binding these Sekirei and remove the leash on these girls." He continues to live at Izumo Inn with his other Sekirei, reuniting with Musubi a year later.
Musubi (結, Sekirei #88) is the main heroine of the series. She met Minato when she literally fell out of the sky onto him while being chased by Hikari and Hibiki. Musubi specializes in hand-to-hand combat which utilizes her greatly enhanced strength, enforced by the heavy combat gloves she always wears. Musubi's outfit consists of a short red skirt and upper clothes resembling those traditionally worn by mikos. She is quite naive, often saying things she doesn't understand and is the most "childish" of Minato's Sekirei (even more so than Kusano), yet at times can be insightful. Musubi is the most "competitive" of Minato's Sekirei, often showing great eagerness to fight other Sekirei, but never fails to be polite as she would usually introduce herself and then ask for permission first before fighting them. A running gag in the story is how her clothing always ends up in tatters and her sexy curves are revealed after every fight. After hearing Tsukiumi say that she is Minato's wife, she decides that she is his wife too.Ch. 24 She eats a lot and is a fairly decent cook (but only curry in large amounts). Because Musubi eats so much food to maintain her energy level, Miya's nickname for Musubi is "Airheaded Glutton".Ch. 54 During moments of extreme emotion (such as anger or jealousy), the image of a ferocious bear appears behind her, which may be the result of her being Miya's disciple. Musubi's known attacks are the Bear Fist (熊拳 Kuma-ken) Ch. 66 and Bear Meteor (熊拳 Kuma Ryūsei) Ch. 87 and her Norito is "By the fists of my contract, let my Ashikabi's perils be shattered!" After all Ashikabi start losing their strength on Kamikura island, Musubi is chosen from among Minato's Sekirei to represent them in the final fight atop the Heavenly Palace against Miya for the prize in order to save all the Sekirei and their Ashikabi. After accomplishing this and staying to becoming the new power of the Heavenly Palace in order to restore all of the fallen Sekirei, she returns to Minato's side a year later.
Kusano (草野, Sekirei #108), commonly referred to as "Kuu-chan" or "Ku", is the youngest of Minato's Sekirei, and is also known as the "Green Girl" (緑の少女 Midori no Shōjo) by other Sekirei due to her having the power to control plants, making them grow at an accelerated rate and to unnaturally large proportions, and typically using them to ensnare or disable her opponents without hurting them.. At the beginning of the story, she was hiding in a botanical garden after being traumatized when Mikogami attempted to forcibly wing her. Kusano communicated with Minato telepathically and led him through the garden until he found her. Kusano refers to Minato as Onii-chan (big brother), and is the most attached to him. She does not like fighting or quarreling and she can be seen stopping them when they start. She is also very impressionable and often copies Musubi, Tsukiumi and Kazehana's mannerisms. She is extremely determined to be Minato's wife when she grows up, and is highly possessive of him at times, even hissing at her fellow Sekirei when they start to get too close to him Ch. 30 (and on occasion biting Minato himself when she thinks he is paying more attention to others of his Sekirei).
Kusano's use of various plants is highly imaginative and extremely effective, but her MBI adjustments were never completed, which is why whenever she's sad or upset her powers rage out of control. She has a sibling-like relationship with #107 Shiina, despite the fact that his power is the natural opposite of hers. In the manga, when Minato initially brought her to Izumo Inn, Miya, believing that he had kidnapped her, drew and pointed a sword at Minato's face (a detail not used in the anime); however, Kusano's growling stomach and later falling asleep at the dinner table brought out her motherly instincts, and Miya insists that Kusano share her room, to make sure, as per her wicked sense of humor, that Minato doesn't do anything indecent with Kusano; however, Kusano often sneaks into Minato's room to share his futon with him and any of his other Sekirei who have done likewise. Her name literally means "A Grass Field", and Miya's nickname for Kusano is "Little Foster Daughter".Ch. 54
Matsu (松, Sekirei #02) is a bespectacled Sekirei wearing a light peach dress that closely resembles a cheongsam. Matsu has the power to access and analyze any electronic device on a telepathic level,Ch. 72 but does not have yet the power to control them.Ch. 73 Matsu has genius-level computer and hacking skills, and utilizes a vast network of satellites and spying devices to gather large amounts of information, once even succeeding in hacking MBI's mainframe computer. Ch. 17, 21 Matsu refers to herself as the "Sekirei of Perceptiveness" and addresses everyone using the "-tan" suffix (i.e. Minato→Mina-tan). However, in sharp contrast to her high intellect, Matsu is very perverted, often using her resources to peep on people and often tries to "experiment" (implicit sexual acts) with Minato, Ch. 16 with most calling her the "Shameless" Sekirei as a result. One of her favorite hobbies is watching the mayhem Minato and his other Sekirei cause every day. Matsu serves as Minato's unofficial strategist and tactician, using her vast network of information to aid him but rarely venturing outside of the Inn. Her name literally means "Pine" and Miya's nickname for her is "Perverted Four-Eyes".Ch. 54
Prior to the beginning of the story, Matsu was a member of the first Discipline Squad led by Miya. Ch. 71 Later, she stole the #8 Jinki, leading her to live in a secret room at Izumo Inn to avoid being captured by MBI.Ch. 79 Her Jinki (numbered #2) was a prize for the winner of the second match of the Third Stage, and ended up in the hands of the Ashikabi of the East after the winner was attacked.Ch. 80
Tsukiumi (月海, Sekirei #09) is a Sekirei with a tsundere personality and a Western appearance that first appeared to Minato in a dream saying that she would kill him.Ch. 19 She wears a black and white dress and brown boots over black thigh-high stockings with brown garters. Tsukiumi's initial resentment is a result of her desire to be the strongest without the need to be winged by an Ashikabi. She is also under the false belief that "winging" means having sex with an Ashikabi; this misunderstanding is cleared up after the two finally meet and she decides to become his Sekirei.Ch. 23 The most aggressive of Minato's Sekirei, she refers to herself as Minato's "true wife" and is very possessive of him; she is also very quick to nearly drown Minato over trifling matters. Tsukiumi has a very short temper and rarely smiles; she does, however, have an honorable side, and is a strong adherent to the fundamental rule that Sekirei combat is one-on-one. She also goes to great lengths to prevent innocent civilians or bystanders from getting caught up in Sekirei fights. Tsukiumi's speech differs from the other Sekirei in Minato's party, as she speaks old-style Japanese; this was mirrored in the English dub of the anime by having her speak Shakespearian English. Minato's feelings for her are quite complex: he tells her at one point that to him she is "so beautiful, so strong, so stylish...[he] thought that you were too good for someone pathetic like me" and that he's "working hard to become an Ashikabi...a person worthy of you".Ch. 136
In the beginning of the series, Tsukiumi has a one-sided rivalry with Homura stemming from a defeat when they first meet. Homura always refuses a rematch saying that she should concentrate on finding her Ashikabi. Since being winged by Minato, Tsukiumi looks forward to a rematch with Homura.Ch. 14 Tsukiumi once confided to Miya that she still wants to be the strongest, but now it's so she can be with Minato forever.Ch. 36
Tsukiumi has the ability to control and manipulate water, as well as the ability to gather large quantities of water out of the air. Her name literally means "Moon Sea" (not to be confused with lunar mare (月の海 Tsuki no Umi)), and Miya's nickname for Tsukiumi is "Faucet with Legs".Ch. 54 Her known attacks are Yamata no Orochi (ヤマタノオロチ, "Eight-Headed Snake"), Ch. 66 Water Arrow (水の矢 Mizu no Ya), Ch. 47 Hydra Blast, Ch. 46 Water Blade (水ノ劔 Mizu no Tsurugi), Ch. 46 Water Celebration (水祝 Mizu Iwai), Ch. 37 Water Dragon (水龍 Suiryū), Ch. 32 and Steam Dragon (with Homura).Ch. 87 Her Norito is "This water represents my pledge! Purify the evil residing in my Ashikabi!"
Kazehana (風花, Sekirei #03) is a tall and extremely buxom Sekirei and wears an extremely tight-fitting and revealing purple dress with a hemline that ends just below the tops of her thighs (Miya's nickname for Kazehana is "Obscene Exhibitionist"Ch. 54). Her first encounter with Minato was to stumble into his bed in a drunken stupor. She takes an immediate interest in Minato, surmising that he could be Hiroto Minaka's son because Minato possesses the same hand shape and cheek bones, but she keeps this belief to herself. Despite experiencing physical reactions to Minato, Kazehana initially keeps her distance, hoping that Minato will display some "manliness". After witnessing Minato's concern and love for his Sekireis, Kazehana chooses him as her Ashikabi.Ch. 50
Kazehana displays an extremely relaxed personality, preferring to spend most of her time lounging and drinking sake, and often becomes giddy when discussing matters of love. However, when she becomes serious she displays a lot of power and lets nobody (with the exception of Minaka, Miya, and Minato) talk down to her. Kazehana knew about Uzume's secret, and while she didn't condone Uzume's actions, she understood Uzume's motivations (love for her Ashikabi).Ch. 67 Along with Matsu, Kazehana was a member of the first Discipline Squad.Ch. 71, pages 15-16 Prior to meeting Minato, she had an unrequited love with Minaka, but was rejected because he loved someone else.Ch. 50
Kazehana has the ability to control and manipulate wind, which also grants her a limited ability of flight; her name literally means "Wind Flower". Her Jinki (numbered #3) was a prize for the winner of the third match of the Third Stage and is currently in Minato's hands (which is his second Jinki). Ch. 95 Her known attacks is the Flower Whirlwind (花旋風 Hana Senpū), Ch. 72 Flower Dance (花の舞 Hana no Mae), Flower Feast (花宴), Long Sword of Wind (風の大刀 Kaze no Tachi),Ch. 106 and Cherry Flower (花桜), and her Norito is "By the Four Winds of the contract, My Ashikabi's dark clouds will be blown away!"
Homura (焔, Sekirei #06) was the self-titled "Sekirei Guardian" who protected unwinged Sekirei during the first two stages (this mission was given to him by Takami), usually from Hikari and Hibiki.Ch. 0, page a13 Prior to being winged, Homura's power and gender were unstable. Even after his body started becoming female (called "feminization" in the manga), Homura continued to think and act as a man.
For a long time, Homura lived under the alias Kagari (篝) and worked as a host club entertainer in an effort to find a "female Ashikabi" and few knew his real identity. Homura began reacting to Minato just before Kazehana became his fifth Sekirei, but it became more obvious afterward. This caused Homura a great deal of stress over his potential Ashikabi being a male.Ch. 18 At the end of the Second Stage, it was revealed that he was the last unwinged Sekirei.Ch. 60 Homura left the Inn to kill Minaka in order to bring an end to the Sekirei Plan; however, before he could reach the MBI Tower he was attacked by multiple Sekirei attempting to capture him. Refusing to be a trophy in Minaka's "Game", Homura attempted to commit suicide through self-immolation just before Minato and his Sekirei arrived.Ch. 64 Refusing to let Homura sacrifice himself, Minato winged him, saving his life and causing his power to finally stabilize. As a result, Minato received the power to determine Homura's gender and mentality, but chose to let Homura remain who he is and what he wanted to be, earning Homura's respect.Ch. 68 After the final battle, Homura, due to his/her hermaphroditic body, is no longer a "host", and has instead gotten a part-time job as a bartender at a small bar (where he is as popular as ever with the female clientele even though he no longer dates them); he is also once again the Sekirei Guardian, but is at peace with himself to the point where he is finally able to tell Minato that Minato really is Homura's chosen Ashikabi.Ch. 186
Homura has the ability to control and manipulate fire and has a habit of smoking when anxious (he lights his cigarettes with his own power). He is quite powerful, as Tsukiumi speculates him to be the strongest unwinged Sekirei prior to being winged by Minato. His name literally means "flame", referring to his element, and his known attacks are Fire Dragon (炎龍 Enryū), Steam Dragon (スチームドラゴン Suchīmu Doragon, with Tsukiumi),Ch. 87 Sword of Flame (炎の剣 Honoo no Tsurugi),Ch. 106 Fire Snake (蛇炎 Jaen), and Fire Wall (炎の壁 En no Yan). His Norito is "These are the flames of my pledge! Burn the karma of my Ashikabi!"
Miya Asama (浅間 美哉 Asama Miya, Sekirei #00, renumbered #01) is the landlady of Izumo Inn and the oldest Sekirei. Takehito, her husband, worked at MBI as a researcher, but died. She also stated that she left MBI due to the events that caused his death. She states she never refuses anyone needing shelter; however, she prohibits fighting and obscenity in her house, although she passively does eavesdropping using a rubber duck speaker with glasses and a #2 on its forehead that she refers to as "Duck-san" (made by Matsu). Currently, only Kusano, Matsu, Kazehana and Homura know of Duck-san, but they have all been "warned" (i.e. threatened) by her not to tell the others of it. She trains both Musubi and Tsukiumi to help them win Sekirei battles. Whenever she becomes angry, annoyed, if any person breaks the rules of the house, or when she is making threats, a demonic visage appears behind her, and is frightening enough to scare even Homura and Tsukiumi into submission; it is possible that she learned this technique from Takehito doing it first, which made her smile at for the first time. She is the only Sekirei who was never winged because Takehito, the man she loved, wasn't an Ashikabi.Ch. 139 It is shown in a flashback that Seo interrupted her just before she was about to kiss Takehito while he was napping, and possibly had interrupted at other times too which would explain why she loathes him. However, because he was Takehito's friend and had taught her how to cook delicious food, she allows him to visit, eat free meals and sponge off supplies. Minaka hasn't tried to get her winged like Homura due to honoring a last request by Takehito (also, he might be too scared to mess around with her or Izumo Inn for fear of her wrath).
It is strongly implied that Miya is the strongest Sekirei, even referred to by #4 Karasuba as "another dimension". Miya was the leader of the first Discipline Squad (known as the "S-Plan Guardians") and displayed the power to sink several large warships. She is a swordswoman of unrivaled skill, with the ability to produce powerful directed shock waves with a swing of her sword. Due to her fearsome reputation, which has earned her the title "Hannya of the North" (北の般若 Kita no Hannya), no Ashikabi or Sekirei has dared to attack Izumo Inn. She violently conceals her true identity and past from others, with only members of the first Disciplinary Squad and Homura knowing the truth before she shares her secret with Minato. When Minato asked about Sekirei #01, Miya cryptically responded by saying that "she" died along with Takehito. Her Jinki (numbered #1) was a prize for the winner of the first match of the Third Stage and it is currently in the hands of the South. During the last stage, Miya reappears at the top of the Heavenly Palace as the final opponent of the Sekirei Fight, claiming that the winners of the Last Stage, i.e. Minato and Musubi, can only obtain the prize by proving themselves in combat and defeating her. She is defeated by Musubi (thanks to Minato's other Sekirei joining their life-forces with her) and replaced by Musubi/Yume as the Guardian of the Heavenly Palace. She returns to Izumo Inn, but because of the severing of her long-term connection with the Heavenly Palace she is a semi-invalid and still unwinged; however, Minato hopes that one day he will be able to revive Takehito so that Miya can be reunited with (and "winged" by) her "true" Ashikabi.
Uzume (鈿女, Sekirei #10) is a Sekirei originally living at Izumo Inn when Minato and Musubi first arrived. Uzume's Ashikabi is a young girl named Chiho Hidaka (日高 千穂 Hidaka Chiho, Voiced by: Sayori Ishizuka (Japanese); Kara Edwards (English)), who is confined to a hospital due to an unknown illness. Uzume shows deep love towards Chiho, which is entirely reciprocated. Musubi first encounters her after sharing the same bath with the other Sekirei, with Uzume seeing Musubi's Sekirei crest and revealing to her that she is also a Sekirei. This turned out to be a bad move, since Musubi was taught to immediately challenge another Sekirei as soon as she encounters one, and resulted in Musubi attacking first before Uzume managed to escape and find Minato; the "fight" was eventually broken up by Miya. Uzume has a large collection of costumes at the Inn, which she made herself and which were worn to entertain Chiho. Higa, who is using Chiho's medical treatment as leverage for Uzume's cooperation, manipulates her into using her powers to eliminate other Sekirei. She develops a friendly rivalry with Kazehana, whom Uzume refers to as "Nee-san".
Near the end of the Second Stage, Uzume leaves Izumo Inn, realizing she can no longer be friends with Minato's group. She unwillingly fights Minato and his Sekirei in the hunt for Sekirei #06 (Homura) and when she is forced to steal Minato's Jinki after the 3rd match in Third Stage, visibly bothered and saddened. She visits Chiho a few times after she leaves Izumo Inn, in tears because she has to fight her friends against her own will. When the East tries to steal Minato's Jinki at Izumo Inn she sacrifices herself in order to save Minato, getting stabbed in the back by Sekirei #31 (Sai) and eventually dying in Minato's arms; similarly in the anime, she sacrifices herself to save Musubi. In the manga, this was made all the more tragic because Minato had just told her that his Sekirei had moved Chiho from Higa's hospital to MBI's hospital, thus freeing Uzume from Higa's control. In both the manga and anime, before her termination is complete she begs Minato to look after and protect Chiho, and Minato tearfully promises her to do so. Her termination devastates Minato and his Sekirei deeply but also motivates Minato to win the Sekirei Plan in order to restore her to life.Ch.111 Uzume's spirit appears idly sitting on Izumo Inn's rooftop when Minato is temporarily "terminated" during the Kamikura Island battle. She says he is not supposed to be there yet, questioning why Minato's Sekirei are letting their Ashikabi be in such place. She also tells him that he can only bring one Sekirei to the final battle at Kouten.Ch.177 After the final battle, she is restored along with all of the other fallen Sekirei, but because of the long period of time she spent "terminated" she awakens without her memories. Minato's plan is to reunite Uzume with Chiho (who has come to live at Izumo Inn after her complete cure), but after she has been restored she prematurely sneaks out of the MBI facility and makes her own way to Izumo Inn (which he had told her about), where she and Chiho are joyfully reunited.Ch.184
Uzume fights using a costume composed of long strips of cloth, which also serves to hide her face and identity, earning her the nickname "The Veiled Sekirei" (比礼の鶺鴒 Hire no Sekirei). She is very swift in terms of fighting, being able to dodge continuous attacks from the likes of Musubi (though she still wasn't properly trained at the time) along with the other Sekirei she bested on Higa's orders. Uzume primarily uses her veil to increase the range of her attacks, giving her a tremendous advantage over many melee-type fighters, but is fairly useless against Sekirei with abilities of elemental manipulation like Kazehana and Tsukiumi. Her known attack is Shawl Lance (ショールランス Shōru Ransu) and her Norito is "By the veil of my contract, destroy the nightmare of my Ashikabi!"
Mid Bio Informatics
Mid Bio Informatics (MBI) is a powerful conglomerate founded by Hiroto Minaka, with their headquarters in Teito Tower (帝都塔 Teitō-tō).
Hiroto Minaka (御中 広人 Minaka Hiroto) is the eccentric chairman and founder of MBI, with his motto being: "Fight & fight until one is left". He, along with Takami, discovered the Sekirei and because of this, he feels that this entitles him to be the "Game Master" of the Sekirei Plan. Takami states that he has always been thought of as a "super genius", but in reality she thinks that he is insane, and his actions throughout the story seem to support this. It is hinted by Seo that he might have had something to do with Takehito's death, or at the very least did nothing to prevent it. In chapter 100 of the manga, it is revealed that Minaka is the illegitimate father of Minato (and of Yukari in chapter 102), but only because Takami refuses to allow him into her family. In the final stage, Hiroto is revealed to be an Ashikabi too, using his powers to fill the quota of Ashikabi needed to activate the Jinki before all others die, by carrying Minato's second Jinki with him. However, he apparently has not winged any Sekirei. During the final battle, he is aboard the Sekirei Ship when he is knocked unconscious; he is utterly disconsolate when he wakes up and finds out that the game has finished without his having seen it, and he remains in total seclusion and completely incommunicado aboard the ship on Kamikura Island for an entire year, leaving Takami totally in charge of MBI operations. In the final chapter, he finally snaps out of his funk and pilots the ship to the Heavenly Palace, where he is able to release Musubi (possibly using jinki) so she can return to Minato.
Takami Sahashi (佐橋 高美 Sahashi Takami) is the mother of Minato and Yukari, MBI's head researcher, and the person in charge of the Sekirei Plan. Before the beginning of the series, Takami, along with Hiroto, discovers the Sekirei ship and later gives birth to Minato and Yukari out of wedlock with Minaka due to her refusal to allow Minaka to be part of their family. She later reveals that she lied about working at a pharmaceutical company to Minato when she takes him in temporary custody after the escape plan. Whenever she is angry or making jokes, she makes a demonic facial visage, a trait that is shared with Yukari. She is also the adjuster of Homura (together with Takehito), Musubi, Shiina and Kusano, possibly out of shame as she frequently expresses doubt and disgust at Hiroto for what he is doing. She has a long scar over her left eye, which she received from Yomi while trying to protect Kusano. Her relationship with her children is somewhat unclear, as Minoto says that when he and Yukari were younger Takami was always busy at her job and never around much, and she frequently gives him "tough love" most of the time, such as cutting down his allowance when he is moving from his old apartment and lecturing him over the phone, but there seems no doubt that she does care deeply for her children and it is possible that she has always seen great potential in Minato, as when after Kusano's emergence she told Homura (with a faint smile) that she knew more about Kusano's Ashikabi than anyone elseCh. 10 and her acceptance of Minato's decision to learn everything about Sekirei so that he can one day free them all, although she warns him to never become like Minaka.Ch. 185
Takehito Asama (浅間 建人 Asama Takehito) is Miya's late husband who was friends with Seo. An MBI researcher, he was the discoverer of the winging system, the Norito, and the existence of the Ashikabi. Together with Takami, he was the adjuster of the first Discipline Squad, consisting of Miya, Matsu, Kazehana, Karasuba, and Mutsu. He once confessed to Homura that he believed an Ashikabi's power is the power of fate. He was against Hiroto's idea of the Sekirei Plan. He also designed Izumo Inn, which he helped Seo build. It is implied by Miya that his death may have something to do with her leaving MBI. Takehito was the first to use a "Demonic Visage" while talking to Seo over the phoned, which made Miya smile for the first time.
In the manga, it was revealed that Takehito died sacrificing himself to protect all the Sekireis from a failed experiment of the Jinki. Because Karasuba was the one who suggested the method for Takehito to sacrifice himself, Miya blamed Takehito's death partially on Karasuba and thus creating the tension between the two Sekirei. He currently remains in the MBI laboratory in a state of suspended animation, and Minato hopes that he will one day be able to revive Takehito so he can be reunited with Miya.
Natsuo Ichinomiya (壱ノ宮 夏朗 Ichinomiya Natsuo) is the Ashikabi of all three members of the third Discipline Squad and works as a clerk in MBI's pharmaceutical department. During the start of the escape plan, he was expecting something exciting. Karasuba stated he's never been wrong with his intuitions. He explained to Minato why it is forbidden for Sekirei to attack an Ashikabi and what will happen if an Ashikabi dies (but knows that Haihane and Bentisubasa would attack an Ashikabi regardless of the consequences); he then tells Minato that if he (Natsuo) were to be killed, it would eliminate the whole Discipline Squad. Natsuo is a carefree person, and even his Sekirei say so. It is also stated by Haihane that he is homosexual, for the reason his lover, a doctor, volunteered to serve in a war zone and was killed.Ch. 44 After the third stage is completed, Minaka presents the last remaining Jinki to him for his services enforcing the Sekirei Plan, thus qualifying him and his Sekirei for the fourth and final stage.
Tsukiumi's Adjuster is the special advisor in the MBI who is more of a mad scientist than Takehito. Tsukiumi lived with her and she referred to her as "baa-san" ("old lady"). She, like Miya and Takehito, can make a demonic facial visage and is very strict, making Tsukiumi tremble with fear every day. She is very young-looking despite her old age (stated to be 70). She made her first appearance in the Special Chapter of Volume 9, in which Minato and his Sekirei asked Tsukiumi about her. It is hinted that she may be Minato's grandmother due to her personality and age.
The Discipline Squad (懲罰部隊 Chōbatsu Butai) is an elite group of Sekirei in charge of preventing any Sekirei or Ashikabi to withdraw from the Sekirei Plan. The first Discipline Squad, known as the "S-Plan Guardians", was initially formed by the MBI from the first five awoken Sekirei to protect the Sekirei that have yet to mature and awaken from enemy forces. Miya was the group's leader, with Matsu, Kazehana, Karasuba, and Mutsu following her. After its break-up, the second Discipline Squad was formed, with Yume as the leader and Karasuba with the same goals. After Yume's death, the third (and current) Discipline Squad, consisting of Karasuba, Haihane, and Benitsubasa, was formed.
- Karasuba (鴉羽, Sekirei #04)
- Voiced by: Romi Park (Japanese); Christine Auten (English)
- Known as the "Black Sekirei" (黒い鶺鴒 Kuroi Sekirei) and "MBI's dog" (M・B・Iの狗 MBI no Inu), Karasuba is the leader of the third Discipline Squad wielding a nodachi and the oldest active member. In the past, Karasuba was a member of the first Discipline Squad and teamed up with Yume in the second Discipline Squad. It is later revealed that Karasuba wanted to fight and defeat Yume and, as a result, resents Yume for "disappearing" before they could settle their rivalry. Ch. 52 This unsettled matter appears to have heavily influenced Karasuba's actions throughout the story. In the past, Karasuba seems to bear a contempt for humans, deeming them an "unnecessary species", evidenced when she killed a numerous number of soldiers during her mission to rescue Musubi. This continues with the current storyline, though at a much lesser extent. She maintains a "friendly" relationship with Musubi (whom she calls "Mū-chan"), and the two have made a promise to be the last two Sekirei standing. After the escape plan and the failure of Haihane and Benitsubasa, she tried to kill both of them. Karasuba and Miya do not associate well with each other (Miya not allowing her to set foot in Maison Izumo) and tend to come close to fighting each other at the mere appearance of the other. Her name means "Raven Feather". Her Norito is "This is the blade of my pledge. Exterminate the sworn enemies of my Ashikabi!"Ch. 147 Karasuba and Musubi have their long awaited face-off in the Final Stage of the Sekirei Fight, with Musubi ending up victorious. After her defeat, Karasuba claims that she has lost all reason to live once being defeated by Musubi, until Minato makes her realize that she still has feelings for her Ashikabi Natsuo, renewing her will to move on. She is currently still in suspended animation at MBI Headquarters.
- Haihane (灰翅, Sekirei #104)
- Voiced by: Mitsuki Saiga (Japanese); Clarine Harp (English)
- Known as the "Blue Sekirei" (蒼い鶺鴒 Aoi Sekirei), Haihane is a member of the third Discipline Squad, with her weapons being her gauntlets that have scythe-like claws for fingers. After her fight with Tsukiumi, she develops a hatred for her because she almost drowned. She wears a tattered kimono over her bandaged body, giving her a Grim Reaper-like appearance. She is also prone to laughing to the point that it hurts her stomach, and loves to tease Benitsubasa about her small breasts. She is also forgetful, once forgetting that she had her claws on while trying to block her ears, resulting in her stabbing herself in the head. She attacked Shigi even though the rules say not to attack an Ashikabi. Her name means "Ash Feather" and her attacks are Zankako no Tsume ("Talons of Execution") and Seikei no Tsume ("Claws of Execution").
- Benitsubasa (紅翼, Sekirei #105)
- Voiced by: Shizuka Itō (Japanese); Anita Neukar (English)
- Known as the "Red Sekirei" (緋い鶺鴒 Akai Sekirei), Benitsubasa is another member of the third Discipline Squad and the most aggressive and hotheaded of the three. Like Musubi, she is a hand-to-hand fighter, but as stated by Haihane they are complete opposites. After her fight with Yume (believing her to still be Musubi), she conceives a deep hatred for Musubi after she was almost thrown across the border (which was actually Yume's doing). She has a habit of sticking her tongue out while fighting and hates stupid people. She wears a kimono-like shirt with one sleeve missing and has pink hair in a side ponytail with two daisy clips. She also has an inferiority complex about her small breasts, which would often be the butt of Haihane's jokes (the fact that most of Minato's Sekirei are extremely large-chested doesn't help any and causes her to go berserk, as seen in the OVA). Out of the three Discipline Squad members, she is the only one who "loves" her Ashikabi, as she wants Natsuo to "open his eyes" (make him like women), then kill both Haihane and Karasuba so she can have him all to herself. Although the rules say not to attack Ashikabi, she attacked Minato because she thinks that "it'll be better to get rid of him". Her name means "Crimson Wings" and her attacks are Shock Wave, Pulverizer (粉☆砕), Gekishin (激☆震, "Extreme Quake"), and Blood Festival (血☆まつり Chi Matsuri).
- Yume (結女, Sekirei #08)
- Voiced by: Saori Hayami (Japanese); Alexis Tipton (English)
- Yume was the leader of the second Discipline Squad and teamed up with Karasuba in the past. Ch. 72 She rescued Musubi and Kaho when they were children and saved Musubi's life by giving her "Tama", the core which gives the Sekirei life and use their powers. Yume bears an uncanny resemblance to Musubi as seen in Karasuba's memories. Yume refers to herself as the Sekirei of Fate (縁の鶺鴒 Enishi no Sekirei), and is a "Defender of Love". Yume possessed light-based powers used in conjunction with her super strength and hand-to-hand combat.
- When Musubi lost her Sekirei crest fighting Benitsubasa, Yume's soul temporarily took control of her body, beat the Discipline Squad, and was able to restore Musubi's crest. In the anime, she asked Minato to "teach love to these little birds" (a reference to the Sekirei), and said that she was awakened by Minato's warm and gentle spirit. Her Jinki (numbered #8) was stolen by Matsu from the MBI and was handed to Minato later, Ch. 79 with Homura currently holding it for him for the time being. When Minato holds her Jinki, he sees what he believes to be Musubi (in reality, Yume) in a revealing pose saying "I will always protect you". After, when Musubi and Minato were alone, Yume took over and explained it was "an ancient memory carved into your genes". Yume then tells Minato that she will always protect him before releasing her control. Her name (結女) means "Woman of Bonds", and Musubi (結, meaning 'union') inherited part of her name. Yume's Sekirei crest is unique, as it does not appear on her back, rather it appears on her exposed torso with her number on it.
Hayato Mikogami (御子上 隼人 Mikogami Hayato) is a 15-year-old Ashikabi controlling the southern part of the city. He has been shown to have no tolerance for failure and is one of the more complex characters, with his personality being fairly different with each of his appearances. In his first appearance, he seemed to be very cruel, only caring about "winging" Kusano and calling Yomi useless, whereas in his second appearance he seemed easygoing and carefree. Like Tsukiumi, Mikogami also strongly follows the rules for the Sekirei Plan. He appeared with his Sekireis and chased off Uzume when she attempted to take the Jinki Minato won in the third match of the Third Stage. He made no attempt to take it from Minato either, stating that he will take it in a fair match. He seems to be a collector of rare items, like getting rare-ability Sekirei and getting all excited when the Jinki were called extremely valuable. He also shows that while he likes collecting Sekirei, he hates losing them, as when they are terminated they leave him, making him lonely, claiming that having Sekirei by his side is far more interesting than other humans. To that purpose, he states that his wish is to bring back #43 and #38, and make all the terminated Sekirei his.
Sekirei from South City
- Mutsu (陸奥, Sekirei #05)
- Voiced by: Daisuke Matsubara (Japanese); Robert Howard (English)
- One of the few male Sekirei seen other than Shiina and Homura. He was once a member of the First Discipline Squad. Mutsu carries a sword with him as his weapon, but seldom draws it. The few times he has been in action, he has been shown to slam the butt of the scabbard to the ground, creating shockwaves and large fissures, suggesting that he may possess earth-based powers. His only attack shown is Hasaiten (破砕点, "Smashing Point").
- Akitsu (秋津, numberless Sekirei, former Sekirei #07)
- Voiced by: Yu Kobayashi (Japanese); Jenny Jaffe (English)
- A "disused" Sekirei with the Sekirei crest appearing on her forehead instead of her back, with Homura referring to her as "Discarded Number". She is possibly a spontaneously-winged Sekirei, and so she can't be winged by an Ashikabi or use the Norito (it is useless from the MBI's point of view). Akitsu's power is very strong, allowing her to fight on par with Sekirei like Homura, whom she has encountered 3 times so far. Despite the fact that she can't be winged, she considers Mikogami her Ashikabi because he took her in, and she fears being thrown away again, later showing true loyalty when he asks her to flee and abandon him for her own safety, refusing and staying to protect him instead. Mikogami proclaimed his love for her making her Sekirei mark disappear from her forehead and eligible to be winged. Soon after she uses all her strength to eliminate Shanada's 3 Sekirei. She appears to be forgetful; at one point it was noticed she didn't wear any panties and it was first assumed she was ordered to do so by Hayato, but then she revealed it was simply because she forgot to put them on. Like her power, Akitsu has a very cold and melancholic personality. A recent flashback chapter revealed that Akitsu was Sekirei #07, but her MBI tuning failed resulting in her crest appearing on her forehead. Her name means "Autumn Port". Her norito is "This is the ice of my pledge. Shatter the misfortunes of my Ashikabi...!"
- Himeko (日姫子, Sekirei #15)
- A Sekirei dressed in a kimono that made her debut in chapter 76 during the first round of the Third Stage. She is very compassionate, crying at the Thunder Twins' troubled life. She uses a large double-sided blade as a weapon.
- Mitsuha (Sekirei #38)
- A Sekirei that made her debut in chapter 13, chasing Shiina with Akitsu. Ch. 13 She uses a whip as her weapon, and threatens to take Homura to Mikogami to be winged when he prevents her from getting Shiina.Ch. 14 She was terminated by Karasuba/the Disciplinary Squad at some point before the Third Stage.Ch. 153
- Mitsuki (蜜姫, Sekirei #39)
- A Sekirei that made her debut in chapter 76 during the first round of the Third Stage. She bears a striking resemblance to Mitsuha (#38), which even surprised Hikari and Hibiki when they first met. She uses multiple strings made by the MBI to constrict her opponents.
- Taki (多姫, Sekirei #65)
- Voiced by: Ao Takahashi (Japanese); Elizabeth Evans (English)
- A Sekirei that made her debut in chapter 76 during the first round of the Third Stage. She has the power to create a smoke screen (Mist), causing confusion to her opponents. Her known attack is Kiri no Tobari (氷霧, "Curtain of Mist")
- Yomi (夜見, Sekirei #43)
- Voiced by: Kana Ueda (Japanese); Kristi Kang (English)
- A Sekirei ordered by Mikogami to kidnap the "Green Girl" (Kusano). She was defeated by Musubi in the fight over Kusano at the arboretum, and lost her Sekirei crest. Homura refers to her as "Pest"Ch. 07 and Mikogami called her "a useless one" after her termination. She uses a surprisingly brittle death scythe as her weapon (Musibi easily snapped it during their fight), and can create a vacuum using a blade even with her scythe broken. She seems to have a rather perverted and sadistic nature, as is demonstrated when she systematically strips Musubi's clothes off before becoming Musubi's first vanquished opponent, and when she mercilessly attacked Takami and injured her left eye when she first tried to acquire Kusano for her Ashikabi.Ch. 08
- Juuza (Sekirei #103)
- A Sekirei who made her debut in Chapter 152. She wears a kimono, and carries a gun. She is terminated (along with Mitsuki) by Yune on Kamikura Island. Ch. 152 But is later resurrected by Kusano's norito. Her norito is "This is the gun of my pledge, shoot down and kill the target of my Ashikabi". Ch. 175
- Momo (Sekirei #?)
- A Sekirei who made her debut in Chapter 152. She was terminated by Chiyo on Kamikura Island. Ch. 152 But is later resurrected by Kusano's norito. Her norito is "this is the dagger of my pledge, slaughter the enemy of my Ashikabi". Ch. 175
- Voiced by: Takuma Takewaka (Season 1), Junichi Suwabe (Season 2) (Japanese); Jerry Jewell (English)
- Izumi Higa (氷峨 泉 Higa Izumi) is the manipulative Ashikabi controlling the eastern part of the city. He is shown to be rather amoral, having no qualms about forcing other Sekirei into obeying him and turning them against each other with carefully constructed lies. His motives hint that he may be intending to take over MBI. He apparently doesn't tolerate his Sekirei disobeying him. He appears to be blackmailing Uzume, forcing her to do his bidding by holding her Ashikabi Chiho hostage. In addition, there are rumors suggesting that he has a large number of Sekireis at his disposal. Higa also has several Ashikabis (with their own respective Sekirei) that serve under him. At one time, Higa confronts Yukari and Shiina with several of his Sekirei and Ashikabi, incapacitating Shiina and taking Yukari prisoner, also asking her to marry him. When Yukari berates him for breaking the rules of the Sekirei Plan, Higa simply remarks that he has no interest in being associated with such a "farce".Ch. 70 He meets Minato during the third match of the Third Stage and asks him to join forces against the MBI, which Minato soon declines, with Higa stating that they're both "too stubborn" (referring to both Minato and Yukari). It is later revealed that he is the heir to a powerful rival pharmaceutical company competing against MBI, and that his family owns the hospital where Chiho is being treated.
- Voiced by: Kenji Takahashi (Japanese); Eric Vale (English)
- Kakizaki (柿崎 Kakizaki) is a bespectacled man who serves as Higa's "secretary" and is also an Ashikabi. He attempts to claim Homura so that Higa can wing him and is accompanied by two of Higa's Sekirei. During the battle for Homura, Kakizaki is restrained by Kusano's vines. Kakizaki also serves as Uzume's "handler", relaying orders from Higa and continually reminding her that Chiho's life is at stake if she fails.
- Voiced by: Kana Asumi (Japanese); Jasmine Mendigo (English)
- Yukari Sahashi (佐橋 ユカリ Sahashi Yukari) is Minato's younger sister and a college student who is enrolled in Shinto Women's University. Yukari has a very strong and confident personality unlike her older brother, and came to Tokyo to attend university and be closer to her mother and brother. She has a strong interest in handsome men, especially bishōnen; this interest, however, is mostly a result of her hidden feelings for Minato, whom she cares for deeply (although she'll never openly express or even admit to it). There are quite a few times when she displays an extremely perverted nature (such as wanting to fondle Musubi's chest every time they meet and [in the anime] Tsukiumi's). She is Shiina's Ashikabi and is helping him search for Kusano. Her forceful reputation and merciless attack style as well as a penchant for displaying a demonic facial visage has earned her the title of "Devil Ashikabi" (悪魔の葦牙 Akuma no Ashikabi). Together she and Shiina are known as the "most evil" pair and are the second-most feared after "the Hannya of the North", carrying a bounty of 1,000,000 Yen by a vengeful Ashikabi whose Sekirei had fought them and lost.Ch. 25 Yukari was later lured and taken prisoner by Izumi Higa in order to use Shiina's power for himself.Ch. 70 Unaware of what Shiina was being made to do in her absence, she later escaped Higa's clutches by starting a fire in the room where she was being held and jumping through the window before being rescued by Shiina, at which time she confessed her true feelings for him. During the final match of the third stage, Yukari discovers that Minato is also an Ashikabi and "the Ashikabi of the North", and that Kusano is his Sekirei (although at first she mistook him for a pedophile that was molesting Kusano and intended to kill him herself).Ch. 131 Curiously, she once wished for such a pairing to occur. With the third stage ended, Yukari leaves the city with Shiina to evade the Disciplinary Squad, who by that time have been ordered to terminate all Sekirei not qualified for the final stage, but she and Shiina return in Chapter 163 to defend the MBI headquarters from invasion by armed troops.
Sekirei from East City
- Shiina (椎菜, Sekirei #107)
- Voiced by: Sayori Ishizuka (Japanese); Maxey Whitehead (English)
- Yukari's Sekirei; he is searching for Kusano, with whom he has a very close, sibling-like relationship, despite the fact that his power is the natural opposite of hers.Ch. 14 His power, while not officially named, allows him to emit an energy wave that instantly disintegrates most forms of matter, including metal, wood, fabric, and even human flesh to a limited degree. He met Yukari after he was attacked by Mikogami's Sekirei and was saved by her with assistance from Homura; later, he was finally "winged" by Yukari when Mikogami tried to force him to emerge. He shudders at the idea of almost being Mikogami's Sekirei and thinks of Yukari as a bright shining light in his life. Like Kusano, Shiina dislikes violence and has expressed extreme remorse for hurting Sekirei he has defeated. Due to the overwhelming power of his ability, he is called the "Death God Sekirei" (死神のセキレイ Shinigami no Sekirei), and he and Yukari they are ironically considered to be the "most evil pair" in the city. Shiina and Yukari's reputation and power have become so fearsome that they attract the attention of Izumi Higa, who encountered them shortly after they arrived in the North City attempting to find the last unwinged Sekirei, hoping it would turn out to be Kusano (who, of course, already had an Ashikabi in Minato), but was later revealed to be Kagari/Homura. Higa captured them and tried to coerce Shiina into working for him by making Shiina believe that Yukari loved Higa and not him, but they both escaped. His only known attack is World's End Garden (ワールド・エンド・ガーデン Wārudo Endo Gādin) and his Norito is "By the corpse of my pact, may my Ashikabi's perils wither." His name means "Chinquapin Greens", sharing the same plant motif with Kusano. He and Kusano finally are reunited aboard the ship Minato during the Third Stage battle for the jinkiCh. 131 (with both Minato and Yuakri shocked at finding out that they are both Ashikabis), and he and Yukari decide to quit the Sekirei Plan and escape.Ch. 133
- Kochou (胡蝶 Kochōu, Sekirei #22)
- Kochou is Kakizaki's Sekirei.Ch. 134 In chapter 126, Homura hints that she possesses the same hacking ability as Matsu does, which is later confirmed during the second stage battles on Kamikura Island.
Higa's Sekirei include:
- Toyotama (豊玉, Sekirei #16) - She uses a spear as her weapon.[ch. 81,82] In the anime, she assumes Sai's role of eliminating Uzume from the Sekirei Plan. Toyotama is voiced by Eimi Okada in Japanese and Maeghan Albach in English.
- Ichiya (壱哉, Sekirei #18) - [ch. 81,82] Ichiya is voiced by Tomoko Nakamura in Japanese and Anastasia Muñoz in English.
- Katsuragi (葛城, Sekirei #86) wears a tight-fitting leotard and speaks in a melancholic voice. She fights Musubi when the Sekirei try to acquire Homura for Higa, but is defeated by Musubi's Bear Fist, and loses her Sekirei crest. Katsuragi is voiced by Hisako Kanemoto in Japanese and Luci Christian in English.
- Kujo (九条 Kujō, Sekirei #??) appears in the third match of the Third Stage but is terminated by Homura.[ch. 88]
- Oshino (Sekirei #85) is defeated by Benitsubasa with a single punch.Ch. 88
- Oriha (織刃, Sekirei #101) speaks in a sing-song voice and fights using several bladed disks. She fights Tsukiumi when her group tries to acquire Homura for Higa. In the Third Stage, she is knocked down by Haihane but appears later to attack Minato.Ch. 93 She later faces Tsukiumi but loses to her Norito attack.Ch. 94 Her catchphrase is "These flying gears represent my pledge! Cut away the enemies before my Ashikabi!" Oriha is voiced by Yuka Iguchi in Japanese and Katie Caruso in English.
- Kaie (Sekirei #62) fights Kazehana in the attack against Maison Izumo during the Final Match.Ch. 127
- Kaiha (Sekirei #??) first appears in chapter 127, fighting Homura during the attack against Maison Izumo during the Final Match,Ch. 127 and then is named in chapter 157, during the fight on Kamikura Island.Ch. 157 Her weapons are two huge blades.Ch. 127
- Sai (紗緯, Sekirei #31) is one of the two who attack Izumo Inn during the rescue of Chiho.Ch. 104 She fights with a blade attached to a long thread.Ch. 106 Sai terminates Uzume when Uzume moves to prevent her from killing Minato.Ch. 106 Then she loses her crest, between the damage Homura did to her and the effort it took to throw her blade.Ch. 107
- Shitodo (鵐, Sekirei #40) is the other who attacks Izumo Inn during the rescue of Chiho.Ch. 104 She fights using long, thick blades and is terminated by Kazehana during the fight.Ch. 106
- ?? (Sekirei #79) is terminated by Tsukiumi during the rescue of Chiho; she is attacked so suddenly that she has no time to draw or even reveal her weapon.Ch. 105
- ?? (Sekirei #??) is terminated by Tsukiumi during the rescue of Chiho; she uses tonfa.Ch. 105
- Voiced by: Kisho Taniyama (Japanese); Charles Baker (English)
Nishi Sanada (真田 西 Sanada Nishi) is the Ashikabi controlling the western part of the city. His first name literally means "West" and it is his real name, not a nickname. Ch. 76 Despite his rough appearance, he is shown to be overly emotional and protective around his Sekirei almost to the point of embarrassment. His appearance and personality are similar to that of Seo's and their similarities resulted in them getting into a comical fist fight during the first match of the Third Stage, after which they gained some respect for each other. He manages to secure one Jinki during the final match of the Third Stage, thus qualifying him and his Sekirei for the Final Stage. He rides a motorcycle. He's also nineteen years old, according to Mikogami's sources Ch. 152 - the same age as Minato.
Sekirei from West City
- Kujika (くじか, Sekirei #48)
- Voiced by: Hilary Couch (English)
- A dark-skinned Sekirei with blonde hair wearing a leather swimsuit with two white stars on her bra. She debuts in chapter seventy-four.
- Kuzuri (くずり, Sekirei #??)
- Voiced by: Madeleine Broseh (English)
- A dark-skinned Sekirei with dark hair. She debuts in chapter seventy-five during the first round of the stage three battle of the Sekirei Plan.
- Shijime (しじめ, Sekirei #106)
- Voiced by: Lindsay Seidel (English)
- A Sekirei mentioned in chapter 77 as "that child" by Kujika and Kuzuri and the third Sekirei in Sanada's party.Ch. 77
- Chiyo (Sekirei #14)
- Wielding a scythe, she is a Sekirei kept concealed by Sanada until the Final Round. She fights with a vicuous and bloody demeanor, much to her Ashikabi's chagrin.
- Yuna (Sekirei #17)
- Wielding a whip, she is a Sekirei kept concealed by Sanada until the Final Round. Just like Chiyo, her bloodlust is a source of concern for him.
- Hatae (Sekirei #20)
- Wielding short blades, she is the third of Sanada's secret Sekirei and is just as vicious as the other two.
- Kaoru Seo (瀬尾 香 Seo Kaoru)
- Voiced by: Nakai Kazuya (drama CD), Katsuyuki Konishi (Japanese); Ian Sinclair (English)
- Seo is the Ashikabi of Hikari and Hibiki. He was Takehito Asama's friend.Ch. 21 Miya apparently has a very low opinion of him, easily referring to him as "trash" or "scum" right in front of his face. He works as a freelancer, whose motto is "We'll solve your problem for a price", and also takes various odd jobs and manual labor. He detests how MBI works and its CEO (Minaka) and sometimes eats for free at Izumo Inn when he is low on money (for which his Sekirei constantly apologize). Seo has a gruff, wild look, but he is a very good man to rely on. It has been said that he has an "ability" given to him by Takehito,Ch. 22, 74 the cancellation of a Sekirei's abilities, as shown during his brief fight with TsukiumiCh. 22 and during his meeting with Sanada. We find out later that he doesn't actually need to grab the Sekirei to use his power, during the Final Match of the Third Stage.Ch. 122 While Seo is aware that Minato is an Ashikabi, he makes no aggressive action against him and they usually just have friendly conversations with each other, saying "I liked you from the start" for some reason. He is able to tell the number of Sekirei a person has by his "strong nose", which may be an element of the power.Ch. 21 He mentioned that he built Matsu's secret room for Takehito.Ch. 21 Seo is the one who finds the last remaining Jinki thus ending the Third Stage and qualifying him and his Sekirei for the Final Stage. However, Seo and his Sekirei end up against Musubi, Tsukiumi and Matsu in the first match and they are thrown away from the island by Minato's Sekirei to a nearby boat, thus disqualifying them from the Sekirei Fight. After the final battle, he proves that Ashikabis and Sekireis are inter-fertile as he becomes the father of two sets of male twins. Ch. 185
- Hikari (光, Sekirei #11) and Hibiki (響, Sekirei #12)
- Hikari Voiced by: Yuko Kaida (Japanese); Brittney Karbowski (English)
- Hibiki Voiced by: Michiko Neya (Japanese); Cherami Leigh (English)
- Twin sisters that have power over electricity and Seo's Sekirei. In the First and Second stages, they seek to fight unwinged Sekirei. It is later stated by Homura that, although they are the underdogs, they have more expertise in fighting. In the anime, Hikari is seen wearing violet or blue suits (darker ones in the manga), while Hibiki is seen wearing purple or pink suits (brighter ones in the manga). Hikari is more emotional and has a short temper (and larger breasts) unlike her sister, who is practically the leader of the pair. They are aware that Seo is not the most impressive Ashikabi (which gives them the reputation of being the Sekirei of the "Loser Ashikabi") and they are constantly apologizing to Miya for Seo's sponging meals and food off of her, but they both care for him and are willing to defend him. Ironically, they refuse to let Seo wing any other Sekirei (their method of prevention being to strike the latter with lightning). They are nicknamed the "Thunder and Lightning Twins", in reference to their names (their names can also mean "light and sound" allegorically), and their Norito is "The thunderclap of our oath, destroy the disasters that befall our Ashikabi!" Both are eliminated from the Sekirei Fight when they are thrown away from the island with their Ashikabi by Musubi, and a year later are each the mother of male twins (it is never specified which set of twins belongs to which mother) named Raimei, Raigou, Raizou and Raiden, all of whom have inherited their mothers' powers of lightning (usually electrocuting their father Seo). Ch. 185
- Haruka Shigi (鷸 ハルカ Shigi Haruka) and Kuno (久能, Sekirei #95)
- Shigi Voiced by: Nobuhiko Okamoto (Japanese); Josh Grelle (English)
- Kuno Voiced by: Satomi Akesaka (Japanese); Kate Bristol (English)
- Haruka Shigi is a 19-year-old ronin college student who, like Minato, wishes to enroll in Tokyo University but has failed the entrance examination twice. Kuno, his Sekirei, is a weak, klutzy crybaby whose main ability is her voice, using it to either confuse their enemy or block their attacks. With her Norito, she can drain the energy from her enemies while putting them to sleep, but it seems to have a weak effect from a long distance. Shigi desires to defend her and wants to withdraw from the Game by leaving Tokyo before MBI's soldiers could capture them, and sought Minato and Kaoru's help to escape Tokyo, which eventually succeeded despite being injured along with Kuno during an encounter with the Disciplinary Squad. Before the final stage begins, Minato receives a letter from them, learning that they are now living with Shigi's parents in Kyoto and are rooting for him to win. They return in Chapter 163 to defend the MBI headquarters from invasion by armed troops. In the year after the final battle, Shigi and Kuno return to Tokyo and Shigi passes the university entrance examination.Ch. 185 Kuno's Norito is "The vow of my song, light the path of my Ashikabi!"
- Kaho (Sekirei #87)
- A Sekirei who takes part in the final match of the third stage along her Ashikabi Orihiko Oosumi (Oosumi Orihiko). She survives the final match when the Jinki obtained by Minato rolls over to Kaho and she grabs it, thus making her immune to the special wavelength created by Minaka to terminate all disqualified Sekirei at the place. Kaho is known for being very strong and her weapon of choice is a naginata. She was rescued by Yume along with Musubi when they were children. Just like Musubi, she vows to defeat Karasuba by herself, thus she refuses to return the Jinki to Minato, as it qualifies her to confront Karasuba in the Final Stage. In the first match of the Final Stage, Kaho is defeated by Karasuba and entrusts Musubi with their dream of one of them winning the Sekirei Fight and releasing the others. Her Norito is "This is the dance of my pledge. Slash the calamities of my Ashikabi!"Ch. 147
- Narashino (習志野, Sekirei #74)
- Voiced by: Mikako Takahashi (drama CD)
- A Sekirei whose Ashikabi is Osamu Tsudanuma (津田沼修 Tsudanuma Osamu). Her only appearance so far is in an Omake, where she convinces her Ashikabi that they should go after Yukari and Shiina for the 1,000,000 yen bounty. Her power remains a mystery, since she was blown away (but not terminated) by just one attack from Shiina. Later it is revealed that both Narashino and Osamu managed to flee Tokyo just like Shigi and Kuno.
- Saki (サキ, Sekirei #55)Vol. 7, p.181
- A Sekirei that only appeared in the manga with a one page of profile on her.
- Yashima (八嶋, Sekirei #84)
- Voiced by: Yōko Hikasa (Japanese); Lindsay Seidel (English)
- A Sekirei who wields a massive hammer as her personal weapon. Her Ashikabi is Junichi Tanigawa (谷川 じゅんいち Tanigawa Jun'ichi, Voiced by: Shunzo Miyasaka (Japanese); Newton Pittman (English)), who treated her as nothing more than a possession, both verbally and physically abusing her. Despite using a Norito to power up, she was defeated by Shiina's Death Garden and lost her Sekirei crest. Her Norito is "The hammer of my pledge! Shatter the enemy of my Ashikabi!", enabling her to use her Gravity Hammer (グラビティーハンマー Gurabitī Hanmā) attack. After the final battle and all of the fallen Sekirei have been restored, she refuses to immediately return to her former Ashikabi despite his attempts, telling Homura that she probably will be winged again by Junichi but "instead of getting winged without reason and offering [herself] like a slave, this time [she wants] to do it properly or it will have no meaning" and she wants to make Junichi think hard about it this time.Ch. 186
- Natsu (夏, Sekirei #72)
- The third Sekirei defeated by Uzume on the instructions of Higa.
- Ikki (伊岐, Sekirei #19)
- A Sekirei who wielded dual kodachi as weapons. She was defeated and nearly killed by Karasuba with a sword thrust through her chest. She only appears on one page of chapter 53.
- Namiji (波路, Sekirei #73)
- Voiced by: Ayumi Fujimura (Japanese); Dana Schultes (English)
- A Sekirei wielding a massive halberd. She and her Ashikabi Koji Takano (高野 広次 Takano Kōji, Voiced by: Atsushi Abe (Japanese); Viktor Walker (English)) were winners of the second match of the Third Stage. She was defeated by Shiina and Uzume on the instructions of Higa.
- Nanaha (七葉, Sekirei #78)
- A Sekirei whose Ashikabi, Yoichi Himura (日村 容一 Himura Yōichi, Voiced by: Kazuyuki Okitsu (Japanese); Brandon Potter (English)), went to Minato for help in escaping the city. After Minato, who is insulted by Himura's condescending attitude towards Shigi and Kuno, refuses to help them, she is soon defeated by Karasuba.
- Chiho Hidaka (日高 千穂 Hidaka Chiho)
- Voiced by: Sayori Ishizuka (Japanese); Kara Edwards (English)
- A young girl staying at the Hiyamakai Hospital, which is owned by Higa Izumi, who is suffering from an aggressive virus that will eventually kill her if it continues to spread. The disease that she was diagnosed with crippled her to the point where she had had to be confined to bed, but on occasion she is allowed to move about in a wheelchair, and the medication that she takes merely prevents the spreading of the virus but doesn't heal her; this fact is used as leverage against Uzume by Higa, who continually threatens to discontinue Chiho's treatment if Uzume does not obey him.
- Chiho lost both of her parents in a terrible accident when she was very young, which rendered her suicidal until she met Uzume, who encouraged her to continue living. In the manga, Chiho first met Uzume when Uzume was running from MBI, and the two began to trust each other almost immediately; after that, Uzume visited her everyday with her costumes, and Chiho eventually became Uzume's Ashikabi. In the anime, Chiho mistakenly thought Uzume was about to commit suicide by jumping off the hospital roof and tried to stop her, causing them both to fall; Uzume saved them both, but realized that Chiho was her destined Ashikabi and allowed Chiho to "wing" her. Chiho deeply cares for Uzume and admits this openly, when it's revealed that she has romantic feelings for Uzume, but she feels ashamed that she can't do anything as an Ashikabi for Uzume due to her illness.
- Chiho had no idea that she was being used by Higa so that Uzume would commit crimes, and Uzume deliberately kept the truth hidden from her in order to protect her, stating multiple times that Chiho didn't need to know. However, Matsu uncovered the truth and Chiho's identity, and Minato and his Sekirei began a secret operation to rescue Chiho and free Uzume from Higa's control. The plan succeeded (although Uzume was unfortunately terminated and Chiho, although far away, was aware of it),Ch. 107 and Chiho was moved to the safety of an MBI facility, where she remained until a complete and total cure for her condition was found by MBI. After the conclusion of the Final Stage and her release from the hospital, she came to live at Izumo Inn (which Minato had told her about), where she and Uzume (who had been revived) were eventually joyfully reunited.
Video game characters
- Kuruse (来瀬, Sekirei #54)
- Voiced by: Haruka Tomatsu
- A young Sekirei who is a trident-based fighter. She has the ability to use multiple tridents by conjuring them in order to launch them as projectiles. Eventually becomes an ally of Minato and his Sekirei.
- Yahan (夜半, Sekirei #57)
- Voiced by: Ayahi Takagaki
- A black-haired, dark-skinned Sekirei who uses teleportation to help her fight as her unarmed combat skills are considered to be average. She uses a dagger when fighting in conjunction with her abilities. Her Ashikabi is Reiji Koya (甲屋 玲治 Koya Reiji, Voiced by Yuichi Nakamura).
- Aka-chan (赤ちゃん)
- Voiced by: Haruka Tomatsu
- An abandoned baby found by Minato and his Sekirei, she is the target of the two Sekirei due to an unknown ability.
- ^ "Ch." is shortened form for chapter and refers to a chapter number of the Sekirei manga
- ^ "Ep." is shortened form for episode and refers to an episode number of the Sekirei anime
- "Sekirei English Cast". Funimation Entertainment. Archived from the original on 2011-01-29. Retrieved September 22, 2010.
- Sekirei - 365 Days Without A Girlfriend, Chapter 2
- Rojas, Justin (September 30, 2010). "Evil Rojas Strikes Again". Funimation Entertainment. Archived from the original on October 3, 2010. Retrieved September 30, 2010.
- "オリジナルストーリーを引っさげて『セキレイ』がPS2で登場！" (in Japanese). Dengeki Online. 2009-07-24. Archived from the original on August 26, 2010. Retrieved 2010-08-25.
- "Characters Page: 2-2, Official Sekirei: Gifts from the Future Alchemist Website" (in Japanese). Alchemist. Retrieved 2010-08-25.