List of Sephardic Jews
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from List of Sephardic People)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2007)|
The following is a list of Sephardic Jews. See also List of Iberian Jews.
- Maurice Berger, cultural historian, art critic, curator (Sephardic Mother ;father non-Sephardic Jew)
- Alain de Botton, Swiss writer and philosopher
- Can Bonomo, Turkish singer
- Alain Boublil, Tunisian-born lyricist of the musical Les Misérables
- Caryl Brahms, writer 
- June Brown. British actress
- Tony Bullimore, British yachtsman
- Neve Campbell (1973 - ) Canadian film and television actress (Scream)
- Isaac & Daniel Carasso, founders of Danone 
- Maurice Abraham Cohen (Educator)
- Inês Pires, Mistress of King John I of Portugal. Ancestor of Dukes and Portuguese Kings of the House of Braganza and many of European royalty and nobility.
- Raphael Meldola (chemist and first president of the Maccabaeans) 
- Frederic Mocatta, philanthropist 
- Daniel Mendoza 19th century Pugilist/Prize fighter
- Murray Perahia American concert pianist
- List of Iberian Jews
- Sephardi Jews
- Lists of Jews
- List of Portuguese
- List of Spaniards
- Spanish Inquisition
- Portuguese Inquisition
- David Serero, Opera singer and Actor. Sephardi descendant from Morocco.
- Peter Sellers, Comedian and Actor. Knight of the Realm. Born Richard Henry Sellers.
- Israel Tsvaygenbaum, Russian-American artist
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
- Lee, Felicia. “Facing Down His Color as a Path to Privilege,” The New York Times (5 May 1999), pp. E1, 10; reprinted as “A Writer Confronts His Color as A Path to Privilege,” in The International Herald Tribune (6 May 1999)
- Obituary, Jewish Chronicle Dec 10, 1982 p.12
- "Bullimore's sister buoyed by rabbis' support", Jewish Chronicle January 24, 1997 p.1
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography: "he was of Portuguese Jewish descent"
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography: "the only son of David Guedalla, an almond broker in Mincing Lane, who came from a Spanish-Jewish family ... He was buried in Golders Green Jewish cemetery"
- Concise Dictionary of National Biography: "born into old, established Jewish family"
- Isabel Violante Pereira, "De Mendo da Guarda a D. Manuel I," Lisbon: Livros Horizonte, 2001. Notice that Inês Pires is only presently presented as a conversa, and that for centuries there was no known doubt regarding her non-Jewish Portuguese ethnicity (which, of course could have been hidden for religious and political reasons, her being the mother of Afonso, 1st Duke of Braganza).
- Encyclopaedia Judaica 11:1290
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography: "The Mocatta family were Jews driven from the Iberian peninsula in 1492"