List of Sites of Special Scientific Interest in Cleveland
This is a list of the Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSIs) in Cleveland, England, United Kingdom. In England the body responsible for designating SSSIs is Natural England, which chooses a site because of its fauna, flora, geological or physiographical features. As of 2006[update], there are 18 sites designated within this Area of Search, of which 12 have been designated due to their biological interest, 4 due to their geological interest, and 2 (Durham Coast and Redcar Rocks) for both.
Natural England took over the role of designating and managing SSSIs from English Nature in October 2006 when it was formed from the amalgamation of English Nature, parts of the Countryside Agency and the Rural Development Service. Natural England, like its predecessor, uses the 1974–1996 county system and as such the same approach is followed here, rather than splitting these sites between the County Durham and North Yorkshire lists. The data in the table is taken from Natural England's website in the form of citation sheets for each SSSI.
For other counties, see List of SSSIs by Area of Search.
|Site name||Reason for designation||Area[A]||Grid reference[B]||Year in which notified||Map[C]|
|Biological interest||Geological interest||Hectares||Acres|
|Hartlepool Submerged Forest||19.7||48.6||1988||Map|
|Lovell Hill Pools||9.2||22.7||1999||Map|
|North York Moors[E]||44,087.7||108,940.7||1998||Map|
|Pinkney and Gerrick Woods||62.7||154.9||1954||Map|
|Seaton Dunes and Common||312.1||771.2||1966||Map|
|South Gare and Coatham Sands||381.2||941.9||1971||Map|
|Tees and Hartlepool Foreshore and Wetlands||255.6||631.7||&||1997||Map|
|Whitton Bridge Pasture||3.2||7.9||2004||Map|
- A Data rounded to one decimal place.
- B Grid reference is based on the British national grid reference system, also known as OSGB36, and is the system used by the Ordnance Survey.
- C Link to maps using the Nature on the Map service provided by Natural England.
- D The Durham Coast site extends into two other counties and so can be found on lists of SSSIs in County Durham and Tyne and Weir.
- E The North York Moors site extends into the county of North Yorkshire and so can be found on the list of SSSIs in North Yorkshire.
- "Notification of SSSIs". Natural England. Archived from the original on 15 May 2012. Retrieved 17 June 2011.
- "SSSIs in Cleveland". Natural England. Retrieved 17 June 2011.
- "County search of SSSIs". Natural England. Archived from the original on 19 August 2010. Retrieved 17 June 2011.
- Natural England citation sheets for each SSSI (PDF files). Retrieved on 17 June 2011.
- "Guide to National Grid". Ordnance Survey. Archived from the original on 2007-10-27. Retrieved 2006-08-07.