List of Sudbury schools
Sudbury schools practice a form of schooling in which students individually decide what to do with their time, and learn as a by-product of ordinary experience rather than through classes or a standard curriculum. Students have complete responsibility for their own education and the school is run by a direct democracy in which students and staff have an equal vote.
The 'Sudbury' name refers to Sudbury Valley School, founded in 1968 in Framingham, Massachusetts. The Sudbury Valley School has been the inspiration for numerous schools many of which refer to themselves as 'Sudbury schools.'
The Sudbury Valley School formally rejects the idea that there can be an official definition or official list of Sudbury schools and in 2016 ended its earlier practice of linking to other schools which claimed to operate in a manner similar to them. Daniel Greenberg, one of the founders of the Sudbury Valley School has written that there are two things that distinguish a Sudbury Model school: everyone is treated equally and there is no authority other than that granted by the governed. A few schools which refer to themselves as Sudbury Schools continue to publish their own lists of schools for which they feel an affinity; those lists you may find referenced on the web sites of those specific schools.
- 1 Current Schools
- 2 Former schools
- 3 See also
- 4 References
- 5 External links
- Roskilde Sudbury Skole, Roskilde
- École Dynamique, Paris
- Sudbury School Paris, Paris
- Le carré libre, Quimper
- École Démocratique de Paris, Paris
- Le point d'O, Tours
- Ecole Créactive, Montauban (82)
- Ecole Nikola Tesla, Lyon
- Demokratische Schule X, Berlin
- Neue Schule Hamburg, Hamburg
- TING-Schule, Berlin
- Sudbury Schule Ammersee, Munich
- "Kanaf" Democratic School, Golan Heights
- Sudbury Jerusalem, Jerusalem
- Sudbury Haֿ’Ella valley, Valley of Elah
- Nishinomiya Sudbury School, Nishinomiya
- Democratic School Makkuro-kurosuke, Kanzaki, Hyogo
- Shonan Sudbury School, Chigasaki
- Okinawa Sudbury School, Ginowan-shi
- Tokyo Sudbury School, Setagaya
- Yatsugatake Sudbury School, Hokuto, Yamanashi
- Mikawa Sudbury seedome, Okazaki, Aichi
- FOKUS selbstbestimmt lernen, Bottmingen
- Altadena Free School, Altadena, California
- The Diablo Valley School, Concord, California
- The Open School, Orange County, California
- Village Sudbury School, Whittier, California
- Alpine Valley School, Wheat Ridge, Colorado
- The Boulder Sudbury School, Boulder, Colorado
- Sudbury Ft. Collins, Ft. Collins, Colorado (planning stages)
- Arts & Ideas Sudbury School, Baltimore
- Fairhaven School, Upper Marlboro, Maryland
- The Living Water School, Hillcrest Heights, Maryland
- Bergen Sudbury Free School, Bergen County, New Jersey (under development)
- Jersey Shore Free School, Little Silver, New Jersey
- South Jersey Sudbury School, Medford, New Jersey
- The Circle School, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
- Philly Free School, Philadelphia
- Three Rivers Village School, Pittsburgh
- Clearview Sudbury School, Austin, Texas
- Makarios Community School, Dallas, Texas
- Houston Sudbury School, Houston
- Monarch Village Sudbury School, Beaumont, Texas
- The Jefferson Sudbury School, Fairfax, Virginia (planning stages)
- Shenandoah Valley Community School, Harrisonburg, Virginia
- Booroobin Sudbury Democratic Centre of Learning, City of Caloundra, Queensland
- Indigo Sudbury Campus, Edmonton, Alberta (closed in 2009)
- The Beach School, Toronto, Ontario (closed in 2008)
- The Fairfield School, Wolfville, Nova Scotia (closed in 2007)
- Katzenhäusle, Überlingen (2004-2005)
- Sudbury-Lernzentrum Leipzig, Leipzig, (2005-2008)
- Big Rock Sudbury School, Novato, California (archived web page) (closed in 2007)
- Blue Ridge Sudbury School, Lynchburg, Virginia
- Cedarwood Sudbury School, Santa Clara, California (archived web page)
- The Chicago Sudbury School, Chicago, Illinois
- Evergreen Sudbury School, Hallowell, Maine
- Full Circle Community School, Orlando, Florida
- Greenwood Sudbury School, Hampton, Connecticut
- Rising Tide School, Olympia, Washington
- The Trillium School, Indianola, Washington
- Jordan Lake Sudbury School, Cary, North Carolina (archived web page)
- Leeway Sudbury School, La Mesa, California.
- Open Source Learning, Kauai's Sudbury School, Hawaii.
- River Valley Sudbury School, Chester, Connecticut
- Sudbury Valley School
- Sudbury school
- List of democratic schools
- List of Montessori schools
- Lists of schools
- Sudbury Valley School • About SVS - School Days Retrieved September 2, 2013.
- Ellis, Arthur K. (2004). Exemplars of curriculum theory. Eye on Education. ISBN 1-930556-70-5.
- "Education: Class Dismissed". Psychology Today. 2006-05-01. Retrieved September 2, 2013.
Since 1991, more than three dozen Sudbury-type schools have sprouted around the country and the world.
- "Other Schools".
- Greenberg, Daniel (2016). A Place to Grow. Sudbury Valley School Press. ISBN 1-888947-26-8.
- The European Democratic Education Community
- Big Rock Sudbury School at the Wayback Machine (archived October 12, 2007). Retrieved September 2, 2013. "Big Rock Sudbury School is closed as of June 16, 2007, and is no longer in operation... Our thanks go to all of the students, parents, staff and volunteers that made the school a reality, for all the support and passion that went into the school over the four fun even if bumpy years of existence, and for the difference that it made for the almost 70 kids and their families that attended Big Rock Sudbury School during that time. This is the web site as it was at the time of closing."
- Cedarwood Sudbury School at the Wayback Machine (archived October 24, 2007). Retrieved September 2, 2013.
- Jordan Lake Sudbury School at the Wayback Machine (archived February 18, 2012). Retrieved June 28, 2016.