This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2023)
- Brian Aker, MySQL Director of Technology
- Ken Arnold, Sun Microsystems Laboratories, co-author of "The Java Programming Language".
- Carol Bartz, head of SunFed, Sun service and worldwide operations; Autodesk CEO, Yahoo! CEO
- Andy Bechtolsheim, Sun co-founder, systems designer and Silicon Valley investor
- Joshua Bloch, author of Effective Java
- Jon Bosak, chair of the original XML working group
- Jeff Bonwick, slab-allocator, vmem and ZFS
- Steve Bourne, creator of the Bourne shell
- Tim Bray, Director of Web Technologies
- David J. Brown, SUN workstation and Solaris
- Paul Buchheit, engineer at Sun from May 1997 to August 1997; Creator of Gmail
- Bryan Cantrill, of 2005 Technology Review "Top 35 Young Innovators", co-inventor of DTrace.
- Alfred Chuang, co-founder of BEA Systems
- Danny Cohen, co-creator of Cohen-Sutherland line clipping algorithms, coined the computer terms "Big Endians" and "Little Endians" (Endianness)
- Danese Cooper, Open Source specialist
- James Duncan Davidson, creator of the Tomcat web container and the Ant build tool
- L. Peter Deutsch, founder of Aladdin Enterprises and creator of Ghostscript
- Whitfield Diffie, Chief Security Officer, co-inventor of public-key cryptography
- Robert Drost, one of Technology Review's 2004 "Top 100 Young Innovators"
- Dan Farmer, computer security researcher
- Marc Fleury, creator of the JBoss application server
- Ned Freed, email systems researcher, co-author of several MIME RFCs
- Richard P. Gabriel, Lisp expert and founder of Lucid, Inc.
- John Gage, Chief Researcher and former Science Officer; first Sun salesman
- John Gilmore, co-founder of the Electronic Frontier Foundation and Cygnus Solutions
- Gary Ginstling, music industry executive
- James Gosling, co-inventor of Java; creator of NeWS networked extensible window system; author of first (proprietary) Unix Emacs implementation
- Todd Greanier, software architect, author and instructor
- Brendan Gregg, author of DTrace: Dynamic Tracing in Oracle Solaris, Mac OS X and FreeBSD, Systems Performance: Enterprise and the Cloud
- Kim Jones, Vice President of Global Education, Government and Health Sciences; CEO of Sun UK from 2007; CEO of Curriki
- Bill Joy, Sun co-founder and architect of BSD Unix, vi editor
- Susan Landau, mathematician and cybersecurity expert
- Adam Leventhal, co-inventor of DTrace
- Peter van der Linden, former manager of kernel group, author of numerous Java and C books
- Chris Malachowsky, co-founder of NVIDIA
- Clark Masters EVP, Enterprise Systems and Father of the E10K, President of SunFed
- Craig McClanahan, creator or the Apache Struts framework and architect of Tomcat's servlet container, Catalina
- Scott McNealy, co-founder and Chairman of the Board of Sun; CEO from 1984-2006
- Larry McVoy, CEO of BitMover
- Björn Michaelsen, Director at The Document Foundation
- Mårten Mickos, CEO of MySQL AB from 2001 until Sun acquisition in 2008
- Jim Mitchell, Vice President and Sun Fellow
- Ian Murdock, Vice President of Developer and Community Marketing, founder of Debian
- Satya Nadella, CEO of Microsoft
- Patrick Naughton, co-creator of Java
- Jakob Nielsen, web-design usability authority
- Peter Norvig, Director of Research Google
- Greg Papadopoulos, Executive Vice President and CTO
- Radia Perlman, sometimes known as the "Mother of the Internet"
- Simon Phipps, Chief Open Source Officer
- Kim Polese, prominent dot-com era executive
- Curtis Priem, co-founder of NVIDIA
- George Reyes, former CFO of Google, Inc.
- David S. H. Rosenthal, early X Window System developer and original designer of the ICCCM
- Wayne Rosing, project lead for the Apple Lisa; Sun hardware development manager and manager of Sun Labs
- Bob Scheifler, leader of X Window System development from 1984 to 1996
- Eric Schmidt, former Sun Chief Technology Officer, chairman and former CEO of Google, Inc., and co-developer of lex
- Jonathan I. Schwartz, former President and CEO of Sun
- Mike Shapiro, co-inventor of DTrace
- Bob Sproull, computer graphics pioneer
- Guy L. Steele, Jr., co-inventor of the Scheme programming language and member of IEEE standards committees of many programming languages
- Bert Sutherland, manager of Sun Labs, Xerox PARC, BBN Computer Science Division
- Ivan Sutherland, computer graphics pioneer
- Bruce Tognazzini, computer usability consultant
- Marc Tremblay, microprocessor architect and Sun's employee with the most awarded patents
- Bud Tribble, former VP of software development at NeXT, current VP of software technology at Apple
- William Yeager, software architect, inventor of the multi-protocol router.
- "Gary Ginstling: Executive Director National Symphony Orchestra". The Kennedy Center. Retrieved 8 February 2023.
- Lindquist, David (June 5, 2017). "Symphony CEO Gary Ginstling will lead National Symphony Orchestra". IndyStar. Retrieved 8 February 2023.