List of Taiwanese submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
The Republic of China (Taiwan) has submitted films for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film since 1957, and regularly since 1980. The award is handed out annually by the United States Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to a feature-length motion picture produced outside the United States that contains primarily non-English dialogue. It was not created until the 1956 Academy Awards, in which a competitive Academy Award of Merit, known as the Best Foreign Language Film Award, was created for non-English speaking films, and has been given annually since.
For the purposes of Oscar submissions, AMPAS recognizes Mainland China, Taiwan and Hong Kong as separate entities, and each one regularly submits a film to the competition. Taiwan became the first of the three ethnic Chinese entities to enter the competition in 1957.
Over the years, Taiwan has submitted forty films for Oscar consideration. Three Taiwanese films have been nominated for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film, and all three nominated films were directed by Ang Lee: The Wedding Banquet, Eat Drink Man Woman, and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, which is the only Taiwanese film to have won the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film. Taiwan initially selected Ang Lee's Lust, Caution in 2007, but AMPAS did not accept the film saying that was not a majority-Taiwanese production. Director Chen Kunhou also had three of his films selected to represent Taiwan, but none received an Oscar nomination.
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has invited the film industries of various countries to submit their best film for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film since 1956. The Foreign Language Film Award Committee oversees the process and reviews all the submitted films. Following this, they vote via secret ballot to determine the five nominees for the award. Below is a list of the films that have been submitted by Taiwan for review by the Academy for the award by year and the respective Academy Awards ceremony.
|Film title used in nomination||Original title||Director||Result|
|Amina||Amina (阿美娜)||Yuan Congmei||Not Nominated|
|Lovers' Rock||Qíngrén shí (情人石)||Pan Lei||Not Nominated|
|The Silent Wife||Yǎnǚ qíngxīn (啞女情深)||Lee Hsing||Not Nominated|
|Execution in Autumn||Qiūjué (秋決)||Lee Hsing||Not Nominated|
|Eight Hundred Heroes||Bābǎi zhuàngshì (八百壯士)||Ting Shan-si||Not Nominated|
|The Legend of the Six Dynasty||Liùcháo guàitán (六朝怪談)||Wong Guk-gam||Not Nominated|
|If I Were for Real||Jiǎrú wǒshì zhēnde (假如我是真的)||Wang Toon||Not Nominated|
|The Battle for the Republic of China||Xīnhài shuāngshí (辛亥雙十)||Ting Shan-si||Not Nominated|
|Growing Up||Xiǎo Bì de gùshì (小畢的故事)||Chen Kunhou||Not Nominated|
|Old Mao's Second Spring||Lǎo Mò de dì èr ge chūntiān (老莫的第二個春天)||Lee You-ning||Not Nominated|
|Kuei-Mei, a Woman||Wǒ zhèyàng guòle yìshēng (我這樣過了一生)||Chang Yi||Not Nominated|
|The Heroic Pioneers||Tángshān guò Táiwān (唐山過台灣)||Lee Shing||Not Nominated|
|Osmanthus Alley||Guìhuā xiàng (桂花巷)||Chen Kunhou||Not Nominated|
|My Mother's Teahouse||Chūnqiū cháshì (春秋茶室)||Chen Kunhou||Not Nominated|
|A City of Sadness||Bēiqíng chéngshì (悲情城市)||Hou Hsiao-hsien||Not Nominated|
|Song of the Exile||Kètú qiūhèn (客途秋恨)||Hui, AnnAnn Hui||Not Nominated|
|A Brighter Summer Day||Gúlǐngjiē shàonián shārén shìjiàn (牯嶺街少年殺人事件)||Yang, EdwardEdward Yang||Not Nominated|
|Peach Blossom Land||Ànliàn táohuāyuán (暗戀桃花源)||Lai, StanStan Lai||Not Nominated|
|The Wedding Banquet||Xǐyàn (喜宴)||Lee, AngAng Lee||Nominated|
|Eat Drink Man Woman||Yǐnshí nánnǚ (飲食男女)||Lee, AngAng Lee||Nominated|
|Super Citizen Ko||Chāojí dàguómín (超級大國民)||Wan Jen||Not Nominated|
|Tonight Nobody Goes Home||Jīntiān bùhuíjiā (今天不回家)||Chang, SylviaSylvia Chang||Not Nominated|
|Yours and Mine||Wǒde shénjīngbìng (我的神經病)||Wang Siu-di||Not Nominated|
|Flowers of Shanghai||Hāi shàng huā (海上花)||Hou Hsiao-hsien||Not Nominated|
|March of Happiness||Tiānmǎ cháfáng (天馬茶房)||Lin Cheng-sheng||Not Nominated|
|Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon||Wòhǔ cánglóng (臥虎藏龍)||Lee, AngAng Lee||Won Academy Award|
|The Cabbie||Yùnzhuǎnshǒu zhī liàn (運轉手之戀)||Chen Yiwen, Huakun Zhang||Not Nominated|
|The Best of Times||Měilì shíguāng (美麗時光)||Chang Tso-chi||Not Nominated|
|Goodbye, Dragon Inn||Búsàn (不散)||Tsai Ming-Liang||Not Nominated|
|20 30 40||20 30 40||Chang, SylviaSylvia Chang||Not Nominated|
|The Wayward Cloud||Tiānbiān yìduǒyún (天邊一朵雲)||Tsai Ming-Liang||Not Nominated|
|Blue Cha Cha||Shēnhǎi (深海)||Chen Wen-Tang||Not Nominated|
|Island Etude ||Liànxíqǔ (練習曲)||Chen Huai-en||Not Nominated|
|Cape No. 7||Háijiǎo qīhào (海角七號)||Wei Te-sheng||Not Nominated|
|No Puedo Vivir Sin Ti||Bùnéng méiyǒu nǐ (不能沒有你)||Leon Dai||Not Nominated|
|Monga||Báng-kah (艋舺)||Doze Niu||Not Nominated|
|Seediq Bale||Sài Dé Kè．Ba Lái (賽德克‧巴萊)||Wei Te-sheng||Made January Shortlist|
|Touch of the Light||逆光飛翔||Chang Rong-ji||Not Nominated|
|Soul||失魂||Chung Mong-Hong||Not Nominated|
|Ice Poison||冰毒||Midi Z||Not Nominated|
|The Assassin||刺客聶隱娘||Hou Hsiao-hsien||Not Nominated|
|Hang in There, Kids!||只要我長大||Laha Mebow||Not Nominated|
- List of Academy Award winners and nominees for Best Foreign Language Film
- List of Academy Award-winning foreign language films
- Cinema of Taiwan
- List of Taiwanese films
- "Rule Thirteen: Special Rules for the Foreign Language Film Award". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- "History of the Academy Awards - Page 2". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Archived from the original on 2008-06-22. Retrieved 2008-08-22.
- "Ang Lee - Awards". The New York Times. Retrieved 2008-08-22.
- "'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' Wins Best Foreign Film Oscar". People's Daily. 2001-03-26. Retrieved 2008-08-22.
- Taiwan originally selected Lust, Caution, but AMPAS did not accept the film because it was not a majority-Taiwanese production
- "9 Foreign Language Films Continue to Oscar Race". oscars.org. Retrieved 2011-01-19.
- "9 Foreign Language Films Vie for Oscar". oscars.org. 18 January 2012. Retrieved 2012-01-19.
- Coonan, Clifford (27 September 2012). "'Touch of the Light' to rep Taiwan at Oscars". Variety. Reed Business Information. Retrieved 28 September 2012.
- "Oscars: Taiwan Nominates 'Soul' for Foreign Language Category". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2013-09-16.
- "Taiwan to Take 'Ice Poison' on Foreign-Language Oscar Campaign". Variety. Retrieved 9 September 2014.
- "Taiwan Selects 'The Assassin' as Oscar Entry". Variety. 10 September 2015. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- "Taiwan's indigenous film 'Lokah Laqi' to vie for Oscar award". Focus Taiwan. 22 September 2016. Retrieved 22 September 2016.