List of The Jungle Book characters
This is a list of characters that appear in Rudyard Kipling's Jungle Book story collection, its sequel The Second Jungle Book, and the various film adaptations based on those books. Characters include both human and talking animal characters.
In the Mowgli stories
- Jungle characters - The following characters reside in the jungle.
- Seeonee Wolf Pack
- Akela (अकेला Akēlā, "alone"; Indian wolf) - The leader of the wolf pack.
- Raksha (रक्षा Rakṣā, "protection"; Indian wolf) - Also called Mother Wolf, she Mowgli's adoptive mother.
- Father Wolf (Indian wolf) - Raksha's mate and Mowgli's adoptive father. In the 1967 film, he is named "Rama", meaning "pleasant" and "supreme".
- Grey Brother (Indian wolf) - The oldest of Father Wolf and Raksha's cubs.
- Leela (लीला līlā; Indian wolf) - The grand-daughter of Akela.
- Baloo (भालू Bhālū, "bear"; sloth bear) - Mowgli's best friend. In Kipling's book, he is described as a sleepy old brown bear, who teaches Mowgli the law of the jungle. In the 2016 film, Baloo is described to be a sloth bear.
- Bagheera (बघीरा Baghīrā; بگیڑہ Bagīrah, "black panther"; black panther variety of Indian leopard) - Mowgli's mentor.
- Bandar-log (बन्दर-लोग Bandar-lōg, "monkey-folks"; grey langurs) - A group of monkeys who are treated as pariahs for their scatterbrained anarchy. They kidnap the very young Mowgli, who is rescued by Bagheera, Baloo, and Kaa.
- Ko (को Kō; Indian crow) - Only mentioned
- Kaa (का Kā; Indian rock python) - Mowgli's wise mentor and friend, though also feared throughout the jungle for his mesmerising "hunger dance". In both Disney films, Kaa is an antagonist who tries to eat Mowgli only to fail at every turn.
- Hathi (हाथी Hāthī, "elephant"; Indian elephant) - The leader of the jungle's elephants and the individual called "The True Master of The Jungle".
- Hathi's sons (Indian elephants) - The unnamed sons of Hathi.
- Tabaqui (तंबाकूवी Taṃbākūvī; "Dish-Licking Dog"; golden jackal) - He feeds on scraps from either Shere Khan or the wolves of the Seeonee Pack. In some adaptations, he is a hyena. Tabaqui is the only friend of Shere Khan as well as Shere Khan's spy and messenger. He is killed by Grey Brother after the Grey Brother interrogates him into admitting both what Shere Khan plans to do and where and then crushes the jackal's back in "Tiger! Tiger!". While Tabaqui doesn't appear in the animated Disney movie adaptions, he does appear in The Jungle Book: Mowgli's Story voiced by Stephen Tobolowski and depicted as a spotted hyena.
- Mang (मङग Maṅg, "go"; bat)
- Pappu (पपु Papu, "protector"; red bear-cat)
- Shere Khan (शेर खान شیر خان Śhēēr Khān, "tiger Khan" ("Khan" is a common title of Indian Muslim lordship and royalty); Bengal tiger), - A man-eating Royal Bengal Tiger who is the main villain and the archenemy of Mowgli. He is often known as "a chief among tigers" and in multiple adaptations as the one called "The King of Tigers". Despite being born with a withered leg and derisively nicknamed "Lungri" ("The Lame One") by his own mother, Shere Khan is aggressive, arrogant, self-centered, and sees himself as the rightful lord of the jungle. Tabaqui is his only friend.
- Rama (रमा Ramā; water buffalo)
- Mysa (मौसा Maisā, "uncle"; water buffalo)
- Chil (चील Cīl, "kite"; brahminy kite), in earlier editions called Rann (रण Raṇ, "battle")
- Ikki (इकी Ikī; Indian porcupine) - In earlier editions, he was called Sahi (साही Sāhī, "porcupine"). Ikki appeared in the 2016 film voiced by Garry Shandling in one of his final works before he passed away. In the film, Ikki was a hoarder and the first one to notice the emergence of the Peace Rock.
- Tha (था Thā, "He was"; Indian elephant) - The first of the elephants according to Hathi
- Thuu (थू Thū; Indian cobra) - Also called White Hood, Thuu a blind albino cobra. Mowgli gives him the derisory epithet "Thuu" (meaning "it has dried") upon discovering that the supposedly deadly cobra's fangs are in fact withered and dried up from age and disuse.
- Phaona (फवाना Phavānā; Indian wolf) - Phao's father
- The Dholes
- Oo (ऊ Ū; turtle)
- Jacala (जाचला Jacalā, "obstacle"; Indian crocodile) - In "Red Dog", it is stated that Mowgli broke a knife on Jacala's back during a protracted fight with him.
- Mao (मवा Mavā; Indian peacock) - In earlier editions, he was called Mor (मोर Mōr, "peacock").
- Won-Tolla (Indian wolf) - An outlier who warns Mowgli's tribe of the dholes
- Chikai (चीकै Cīkai, "squeak"; rat)
- Phao (फवा Phavā; Indian wolf) - Son of Phaona, leader of The Free People.
- Ferao (फोडवा Phōṛavā, "woodpecker"; scarlet woodpecker)
- Seeonee Wolf Pack
- Human characters - The following characters are known humans.
- Messua - The wife of the richest man of the human village, who decides to adopt the wild Mowgli, believing that he is their long-lost son Nathoo.
- Messua's husband - An unnamed man who is the richest man of the village. In The Jungle Book 2, he is depicted as the father of Shanti and Ranjan while also being voiced by John Rhys-Davies.
- Nathoo (नत्थू Natthū) - The long-lost son of Messua and her husband, who has been snatched by a tiger.
- Buldeo (बलदेव Baladēvā) - The elderly chief hunter of Messua's village. He is boastful, arrogant, greedy and superstitious, and he is furious when Mowgli, who knows what the jungle is really like, contradicts some of his own more fanciful stories about the jungle. He hopes to kill Shere Khan so he can get a substantial reward placed out as a bounty for the tiger's skin. There were plans for him to appear in the animated Disney film, but he got scrapped.
- Kamya (काम्या Kāmyā) - One of the village boys who herds buffalo along with Mowgli.
- "The White Seal"
- "Toomai of the Elephants"
- Kala Nag (elephant)
- "Her Majesty's Servants"
- Two-Tails (elephant)
- Billy (battery-mule)
- Vixen (a small dog)
The following characters appear in the Disney adaptions:
- Winifred - Colonel Hathi's wife and the mother of Hathi Jr. who serves as Hathi's second-in-command of the Jungle Patrol. She is voiced by Verna Felton in the first movie and by Kath Soucie in "Jungle Cubs."
- Hathi Jr. - The baby elephant who is the son of Hathi and Winifred and is a good friend of Mowgli. He is voiced by Clint Howard in the first movie and by Jimmy Bennett in The Jungle Book 2.
- King Louie - The orangutan who leads the Bandar-log. In the 2016 film, he is a Gigantopithecus. He is voiced by Louis Prima in the first movie, Jim Cummings in TaleSpin, Jason Marsden in Season One of Jungle Cubs, Cree Summer in Season Two of Jungle Cubs, and Christopher Walken in the 2016 film.
- Flunkey - King Louie's monkey servant. He is voiced by Leo De Lyon in the fist film and by Jim Cummings in The Jungle Book 2.
- Buzzie, Dizzy, Flaps, and Ziggy the Vultures - They are four vultures who closely resemble the Beatles because of their shaggy moptop haircuts and Liverpool accents. Buzzie resembles Ringo Starr, Dizzy resembles George Harrison, Flaps resembles Paul McCartney, and Ziggy resembles John Lennon. Their song "That's What Friends Are For" was sung in the style of a barbershop quartet instead of a Beatles song. Disney was originally going to have The Beatles voice them, but John Lennon refused the offer. Buzzie was voiced by J. Pat O'Malley in the first film and by Jim Cummings in The Jungle Book 2. Dizzy is voiced by Lord Tim Hudson in the first film and by Baron Davis in The Jungle Book 2. Flaps is voiced by Chad Stuart in the first film and by Jeff Bennett in The Jungle Book 2. Ziggy is voiced by Digby Wolfe in the first film and by Jess Harnell in The Jungle Book 2.
- Shanti (named only in The Jungle Book 2) - The girl whose song "My Own Home" lured Mowgli into the Man Village in the 1967 film. Shanti later serves as his ally/love interest in the sequel. She is depicted as the daughter of Messua and her husband. Shanti is voiced by Darleen Carr in the first film and by Mae Whitman in The Jungle Book 2.
- Ranjan (The Jungle Book 2) - Mowgli's adopted younger brother. He is depicted as the daughter of Messua and her husband. Ranjan is voiced by Connor Funk.
- Lucky (The Jungle Book 2) - The vultures' friend who loves to annoy Shere Kahn as seen in The Jungle Book 2. He is voiced by Phil Collins.
- Rocky the Rhino - Rocky is an Indian rhinoceros. In the earlier production of the first film, Rocky was to appear in the same scene as the Vultures where he would've been voiced by Frank Fontaine. Unfortunately, his part got scrapped. Rocky did appear in the 2016 film voiced by Russell Peters where he was among the animals observing the Water Truce. After telling Mowgli to watch himself after being backed into him upon being accidentally pricked by Ikki's quills, Rocky tells Raquel that Mowgli is a man-cub.
- Raquel the Rhino (2016 film) - The daughter of Rocky the Rhino. She is voiced by Madeleine Favreau.
- see http://www.shabdkosh.com/en2hi/search.php?ts=1221774293378&e=शेर – according to Erika Klemm: Hindi-deutsches Wörterbuch (Leipzig 1971) शेर means "lion" or "tiger"
- "Lost Character: Rocky the Rhino", The Jungle Book Platinum Edition Disc 1
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The Jungle Book characters.|