List of The Legend of Sword and Fairy characters
Li Xiaoyao (李逍遙; 李逍遥; Lǐ Xiāoyáo) is the protagonist of the game. He comes from a small fishing village, Shengyu Village, in Yuhang County. He is an orphan and was raised by his aunt, who runs a small inn. While serving as the waiter in the inn, he daydreams all the time of becoming a great hero that his parents were rumoured to be. When his aunt suddenly falls ill one day, he learns from three Miao warriors living in his inn that there is a "fairy goddess" living on a mystical island who can heal his aunt. Li then travels across the sea to the island, where he meets the "fairy goddess" — a young maiden called Zhao Ling'er. Zhao's nanny catches him and forces him to marry Zhao and remain on the island forever, but Zhao helps him escape. When he returns home, he saves his aunt with the medicine he got from Zhao, but loses memory of his encounter on the island because earlier on he was tricked into consuming a memory-erasing drug by the Miao warriors. The Miao warriors infiltrate the island, murder Zhao's nanny, kidnap Zhao, and bring her back to the inn. While exploring the inn, Li chances upon Zhao and saves her from the Miao warriors even though he does not recognise her. He agrees to accompany her to southwestern China in search of her mother, who might still be alive.
They arrive in Suzhou and meet Lin Yueru. Li unexpectedly defeats Lin in a martial arts contest and wins her hand-in-marriage. On their wedding night, a giant serpent is sighted and Zhao disappears under mysterious circumstances. Li and Lin believe that Zhao has been captured by a monster, so they set off in search of her and arrive in Sichuan, where they learn that Zhao has been imprisoned by the elders of the Mount Shu Sect in the Demon Prison Tower. Li and Lin break into the tower to save Zhao and learn that she is actually a half-serpent spirit. Nevertheless, they have forged a strong friendship so they combine efforts to escape from the tower as it starts to implode. Lin is fatally crushed by a falling boulder while trying to save Li and Zhao.
The trio are saved by a herbal medicine guru, who reveals to Li that Lin is dead, and that Zhao is pregnant with his child. Li sets off in search of two rare items to save the lives of Zhao and their unborn baby. His quest leads him to Miao territory, where he meets A'nu, who develops a crush on him. At the same time, he sees that the Miao land is plagued by drought and that the Black and White Miao are fighting each other over scarce water resources. Meanwhile, Zhao recovers after Li brings back the items to her. She summons a rainstorm and restores peace to the Miao land. Li, Zhao and A'nu then learn that the drought was actually caused by the evil Leader of the Moon Worshipping Cult, so they confront him. Although they succeed in defeating him eventually, Zhao sacrifices herself to destroy the Water Demon Beast summoned by the villain. In the final scene, Li bids A'nu farewell and wanders around in despair, saddened by the loss of Zhao and Lin.
Zhao Ling'er (趙靈兒; 赵灵儿; Zhào Líng'ér) is the daughter of the king of the Black Miao and the chief priestess of the White Miao, and the sole heir to the throne of the Miao kingdom. She is also a descendant of the goddess Nüwa through her mother, thus she is half-human and half-serpent. She is destined to be the guardian of her land because she possesses the divine powers of her ancestor. Her father, who was deceived by the evil Leader of the Moon Worshipping Cult, believed that her mother was responsible for a drought that plagued the kingdom, so he imprisoned her mother. Zhao was forced into exile and was raised by a loyal servant, Granny Jiang, who is also a half-serpent. They lived in a seclusion on an island in the Eastern Sea which is shielded from mortal eyes by a magic charm.
Zhao meets Li Xiaoyao for the first time when he travels to the island to seek a cure for his aunt. He accidentally peeps at her while she is bathing in a pool and then tries to trick her to help him. Granny Jiang arrives before Li is able to leave and threatens to devour him if he does not marry Zhao and remain on the island forever, but Zhao helps Li escape later. Li loses memory of his encounter on the island because earlier on he was tricked into consuming a memory-erasing drug by the three Miao warriors. Unknowingly, Li's arrival on the island had broken the protective charm and revealed the location of the island. The three Miao warriors, who serve the Leader of the Moon Worshipping Cult, infiltrate the island, murder Granny Jiang, and kidnap Zhao and bring her back to Li's inn. While exploring the inn at night, Li chances upon Zhao and saves her even though he does not recognise her.
Zhao feels despair when Li does not remember her, but they still travel together to find her mother in southwestern China. While passing by Suzhou, Li unexpectedly defeats Lin Yueru in a martial arts contest and wins her hand-in-marriage. On the wedding night, a giant serpent is sighted and Zhao disappears under mysterious circumstances. Believing that Zhao has been captured by a monster, Li and Lin set off to rescue her and eventually find her in a rural village. Later on, Zhao is taken away by Black Miao warriors, who are in turn ambushed by White Miao forces. A battle breaks out between the Black and White Miao and many of them are killed. The leader of the Mount Shu Sect passes by and mistakenly believes that Zhao is responsible for the killings, so he imprisons her in the Demon Prison Tower. Li and Lin eventually rescue her and learn about her true identity. They fight their way out of the tower by destroying its foundations, causing the structure to implode. Lin is mortally wounded while they are escaping from the collapsing tower. After being saved by a herbal medicine guru, Zhao gives birth to Li's daughter. She recovers her mother's magical staff with the help of A'nu and assumes the role of the guardian of her kingdom.
Zhao joins Li and A'nu in the battle against the Leader of the Moon Worshipping Cult. Even though they defeat the villain eventually, Zhao sacrificed herself to destroy the Water Demon Beast summoned by him and perished in the battle.
Lin Yueru (林月如; Lín Yuèrú) is an only daughter from the Lin family of Suzhou. She first meets Li Xiaoyao outside Suzhou when she is thrashing two servants who attempted to elope. Li comes to the servants' aid and frees them after defeating Lin in a fight. He binds her to a tree as punishment and leaves, but returns later to drive away two thugs who tried to molest her. After he frees her, she attacks him with her sword and injures him badly before fleeing in panic. Li survives after Zhao casts a powerful but risky healing spell cast on him.
Around the same time, Lin's father is planning to find a suitable spouse for his daughter, so he stages a martial arts contest for young men to compete with his daughter. They will win her hand-in-marriage if they defeat her. Li is still angry with Lin over the earlier incident so he enters the contest without knowing its purpose and wins Lin's hand-in-marriage. When he tries to leave, Lin's father threatens to kill him if he does not marry Lin, so Li pretends to agree and plans to escape later. This marks the start of a complex love triangle involving Li, Lin and Zhao. On the wedding night, Zhao disappears under mysterious circumstances and a giant serpent is sighted. Li and Lin believe that Zhao has been captured by a monster so they set off to rescue her.
Li and Lin find out that Zhao has been imprisoned in the Demon Prison Tower by the Mount Shu Sect, so they break into the tower to save her and learn about her true identity. During their escape from the tower, the tower collapses on itself and Lin is mortally wounded by a falling boulder and dies later. Li and Lin are saved by a herbal medicine guru, who heals them and asks Li to collect 36 "puppet bugs" without explaining the purpose of doing so. After the final victory over the evil Leader of the Moon Worshipping Cult, as Li returns home in sorrow, an undead Lin is seen waiting for him in the snowfield holding the baby Li Yiru (Li and Zhao's daughter), presumably due to the preserving effect of the puppet bugs.
At the end of the series sequel The Legend of Sword and Fairy 2, the teenage Li Yiru acquires a resurrection pearl after the defeating the final villain, and uses it to definitively revive Lin Yueru. In the MMORPG The Legend of Sword and Fairy Online, Lin is seen as the formal wife of Li Xiaoyao and loving stepmother of Li Yiru.
A'nu (阿奴; Ā'nú) is the daughter of the leader of the White Miao tribes. She is an apprentice sorceress adept in healing and magical spells, and was trained by the Divine Lady, an elderly Miao sorceress.
A'nu first meets Li Xiaoyao when he is on a quest to find two rare items to ensure that Zhao Ling'er experiences a smooth childbirth. After Li fights the Golden Phoenix to take its eggshells, A'nu suddenly appears and snatches the eggs. In surprise, Li falls off the giant tree and becomes unconscious. A'nu uses the same healing spell Zhao used on Li earlier to revive Li. Li wakes up in a delirious state and mistakes A'nu for Zhao, so he hugs and kisses her. A'nu is initially upset by Li's actions, but is moved by his desire to save Zhao's life so she helps him retrieve the other item. She also develops a crush on Li, especially after he disappeared for a month while he was trapped in the past at the temple of Nüwa.
A'nu later joins Li and Zhao in the final battle against the evil Leader of the Moon Worshipping Cult in order to restore peace to the Miao kingdom. Zhao perishes in the battle even though the trio manage to achieve victory. In the ending, A'nu is seen tearfully playing a farewell tune to Li on her flute.
In the sequels, A'nu is revealed to have inherited the leadership of the White Miao tribes. She is reportedly never married, implying her ongoing devoted love for Li.
- Listed in order of appearance in the game
- The Rakshasa Demonic Granny (羅剎鬼婆) is a demon whom Li Xiaoyao fights in his dream at the beginning of the game. The demon is conceived out of Li's grudge against his overbearing aunt. He encounters and fights the demon again later while passing through the illusion realm.
- Aunt Li (李大娘) is Li Xiaoyao's aunt. She was a powerful martial artist in the past and was nicknamed "Iron Palm Flying Phoenix" (鐵掌飛鳳) for her famous "Cloud Penetrating Palm" (穿雲掌) techniques. However, she keeps a low profile now and runs a small inn in Yuhang County. She raised Li Xiaoyao and treats him like her own son, but appears fierce and demanding towards him.
- The leader of the Miao men is the leader of a group of three Black Miao warriors who stay in Li Xiaoyao's inn. They are actually planning to capture Zhao Ling'er. They trick Li into breaking the charm that shields the island where Zhao lives. Before sending Li there, they make him consume a drug, which causes him to lose memory of his adventure on the island after he returns. They raid Zhao's island later and kidnap her and hide her in a bag. Li discovers Zhao while exploring the inn and saves her by defeating the Miao men. The leader later tries to hold Li's aunt hostage, only to be surprised and killed by her.
- The Drunken Sword Immortal (酒劍仙), whose real name is Situ Zhong (司徒鍾), is an elder of the Mount Shu Sect. He first meets Li Xiaoyao when Li found him as a drunkard craving for wine outside the inn. To get him to leave, Li secretly gives him a few sips of leftover wine. He is grateful to Li and tells the boy to meet him a few nights later at a rundown temple outside the village. He teaches Li the Mount Shu Sect's swordplay techniques, which Li relies on for his future adventures.
- Wang Xiaohu (王小虎) is a boy living in the same village as Li Xiaoyao. He looks up to Li as his idol and follows him whenever he can. He is the protagonist in The Legend of Sword and Fairy 2.
- Ding Xianglan (丁香蘭) and Ding Xiulan (丁秀蘭) are the daughters of Uncle Ding (丁大伯), an elderly farmer living next to Li Xiaoyao's inn. Uncle Ding dislikes Li for being a slacker and gets annoyed when he sees his daughters having a crush on Li.
- Granny Jiang (姜姥姥) is a servant of the Miao queen. She is also a half-serpent and knows some magic powers. She brought Zhao Ling'er with her into exile and raised Zhao on an island that is protected from human sight by a magic charm. She is fiercely protective of Zhao and forces Li Xiaoyao to marry Zhao and remain on the island after Li admits that he accidentally saw Zhao bathing. She is severely wounded by the Miao warriors when they raided the island. Li and Zhao return to the island after Li saved Zhao from the Miao warriors. With her last breath, Granny Jiang entrusts Zhao to Li's care and tells them that Zhao's mother may still be alive in the Miao kingdom.
- Liu Jinyuan (劉晉元) is Lin Yueru's cousin. He is very close to Lin and is secretly in love with her, but she regards him as only a relative. He does not know martial arts and is not considered by Lin's father as a prospective son-in-law. He first meets Li Xiaoyao in Suzhou and they become friends. However, when he learns that Li has won Lin's hand-in-marriage, he says to Li coldly that their friendship has ended and leaves in disappointment. He saves Caiyi, a butterfly spirit, by coincidence and she is so grateful to him that she transforms into a woman and marries him. Liu was poisoned when he saved Caiyi from the spider's web and is almost dying. He does not appreciate Caiyi's love for him and treats her coldly. Out of love for Liu, Caiyi sacrifices her powers acquired from 1,000 years of cultivation to increase Liu's lifespan by 10 years.
- Lin Tiannan (林天南) is Lin Yueru's father. He is not only a highly respected martial artist in the jianghu, but also an influential politician. He forces Li Xiaoyao to marry his daughter after Li wins the martial arts contest and threatens to kill him if he does not. On the wedding night, when Zhao Ling'er disappears mysteriously, Li and Lin Yueru set off in search of Zhao, much to his dismay. When he meets Li again later, he fights with him to test his level of proficiency in martial arts and agrees to let his daughter accompany Li after he is convinced that Li can protect her.
- The Serpent Demon (蛇妖男) and Vixen Demoness (狐妖女) are a demon couple living in the Hidden Dragon Cave (隱龍窟). They are slain by Li Xiaoyao and Lin Yueru. They are the parents of Su Mei (the unnamed baby fox), one of the protagonists in The Legend of Sword and Fairy 2.
- Healing Immortal Han (韓醫仙) is a physician living in White River Village (白河村). His daughter finds the unconscious Zhao Ling'er while out collecting herbs and brings her back to his clinic for treatment. Han discovers that Zhao is pregnant but promises her to not tell Li Xiaoyao and Lin Yueru about it. After Zhao recovers, the trio returns the favour by helping eliminating the evil aura surrounding the village. When they return to the village later, they find Han tied up and his daughter taken hostage by Black Miao warriors. Han appears again later to heal Li and Lin after they are wounded during the fight with Elder Shi on Ghost Shadow Mountain (鬼陰山).
- Han Mengci (韓夢慈) is Healing Immortal Han's daughter.
- Little Pebble (小石頭) is a spirit formed from Bodhidharma's prayer beads after 999 years of cultivation. He forces people to become monks after being strongly influenced by Buddhist scriptures. He is defeated by Li Xiaoyao and his friends and decides to transform into a string of prayer beads after being enlightened by Zhao Ling'er. He assists them in defeating the Red Devil King later.
- The Jiangshi King (僵屍王) is a demon living in the General's Tomb (將軍塚) in Black Water Town (黑水鎮). He is defeated and slain by the protagonists.
- The Red Devil King (赤鬼王) is a demon living in the Blood Pool (血池) below the General's Tomb in Black Water Town. He is responsible for causing a plague in the town, which claimed several lives and caused people to transform into zombies. He is defeated and slain by the protagonists. Li Xiaoyao takes the Earth Pearl from him.
- Elder Shi (石長老) is an honourable and highly skilled Black Miao elder who is fiercely loyal to his king. He prevents the evil cleric from killing the queen and helps her escape after she is imprisoned by the king. He is tasked with finding the lost princess, Zhao Ling'er, and he kidnaps Han Mengci to force Zhao to meet him on Ghost Shadow Mountain. He knocks out Li Xiaoyao and Lin Yueru in a fight. Zhao is forced to strike a deal with him for him to spare Li and Lin. He is later ambushed by White Miao warriors led by Gai Luojiao and performs a suicide attack after being cornered.
- Gai Luojiao (蓋羅嬌) is a female White Miao general and A'nu's senior. She is highly skilled in sorcery and toxicology.
- Ji Sanniang (姬三娘) is the leader of a group of female thieves in Yangzhou. When Li Xiaoyao and Lin Yueru discover her secret vault, where she kept the loot, she frames them for the thefts and causes them to be arrested. The governor of Yangzhou detains Lin and orders Li to track down the real thief to prove their innocence. Li returns to Ji's hideout to confront her and defeats and captures her after a fight. The governor releases Lin and imprisons Ji.
- Liu Meiniang (柳眉娘), also known as the Golden Toad Demonic Mother (金蟾鬼母), is a disfigured woman living in the Toad Cave (蟾蜍洞). She has a giant toad demon as her companion. Both Liu and the giant toad are slain by Li Xiaoyao and Lin Yueru when they stumble across the cave.
- The Sword Saint (劍聖), whose real name is Dugu Yuyun (獨孤宇雲), is the leader of the Mount Shu Sect and a highly skilled swordsman. He loathes all demons and mistakenly believes that Zhao Ling'er is responsible for the deaths of the Miao warriors in the battle between Elder Shi and Gai Luojiao's forces. He captures her and imprisons her in the Demon Prison Tower. He realises his mistake later but refuses to admit it even though he secretly rescues Li, Zhao and Lin from the tower after it collapsed, and brings them to the Divine Lady for healing. He retires and passes on his position to Li Xiaoyao in The Legend of Sword and Fairy 2.
- Aunt Yun (雲姨) is Liu Jinyuan's mother and Lin Yueru's aunt. She lives in Chang'an.
- Caiyi (彩依) is a butterfly spirit. She was saved by Liu Jinyuan after getting caught in Venomous Lady's web, and is so grateful to him that she transforms into a woman and marries him to take care of him after he was poisoned by Venomous Lady. She eventually sacrifices all the powers she acquired from 1,000 years of cultivation to extend Liu's lifespan by another 10 years, and transforms back into a butterfly as a result.
- Venomous Lady (毒娘子) is an evil spider demon. She is defeated by the protagonists and is found to have possession of the Thunder Pearl.
- The Golden Toad (金蟾) is a giant toad monster who holds one of the five elemental pearls. He is defeated by the protagonists and loses the pearl to them.
- The Guardian King of Hell (鎮獄明王) is the deity guarding the Demon Prison Tower (鎖妖塔). He is defeated by Li Xiaoyao and Lin Yueru when they break into the tower to rescue Zhao Ling'er.
- Jiang Qing (姜清) is an elder of the Mount Shu Sect. He falls in love with Yue Rouxia, a demon, and is expelled from the sect and imprisoned in the Demon Prison Tower with his lover. Some of his students attempt to save him but none of them survived after entering the tower. Jiang feels guilty for causing so many deaths and has since remained as a bitter undead. Li Xiaoyao encounters Jiang's spirit in the tower and frees him from his state of self-guilt after defeating him in a fight.
- Jiang Wan'er (姜婉兒) is Jiang Qing and Yue Rouxia's daughter. She was born in the Demon Prison Tower and has been living there for 18 years with her father's spirit, until she is set free when the tower collapses. She inherits her parents' swordplay skills and becomes a powerful martial artist. She renames herself Abbess Qingrou (清柔師太) and becomes the founder of the Xianxia Sect (仙霞派) in The Legend of Sword and Fairy 2.
- The Immortal in the Book (書中仙) is a bookworm who, out of thousands of years of cultivation, became a knowledgeable spirit residing in a book. He appears to give Li Xiaoyao advice when Li encounters trouble.
- The Heavenly Devil Emperor (天鬼皇) is a demon chief. He has been imprisoned in the Demon Prison Tower for a long time and is sucked into the Demon Sucking Altar. Li Xiaoyao saves him later and he repays Li's kindness by helping Li lift up a heavy stone door. He escapes after the tower collapses. He feels grateful to Li and regards Li and his family as his benefactors.
- The Dragons of the Seven Stars (七星盤龍) are dragons residing in the seven supporting pillars of the Demon Prison Tower. Li Xiaoyao slays all of them to free Zhao Ling'er and causes the tower to collapse.
- The Divine Lady (聖姑) is an elderly Miao sorceress and A'nu's teacher.
- A'tao (阿桃) is a peach tree spirit residing in Peach Village.
- Song Hewen (宋賀文) is a man who falls in love with A'tao after wandering into Peach Village.
- Wooden Taoist (木道人) is a pine spirit who has been harassing Peach Village.
- The Queen of the Nanman (南蠻王) is the leader of the White Miao. She is A'nu's mother and the widow of the previous clan leader.
- Tang Yu (唐鈺) is a young Han Chinese man who lives with and fights alongside the White Miao. He has a crush on A'nu.
- The Miao Queen (巫后), whose real name is Lin Qing'er (林青兒), is Zhao Ling'er's mother. She is a descendant of the goddess Nüwa and used to be the chief priestess of the White Miao. She sacrificed herself to destroy the Water Demon Beast 10 years ago.
- The Miao King (巫王) is Zhao Ling'er's father and the king of the Black Miao. He is murdered by the Leader of the Moon Worshipping Cult and replaced by a tree demon in disguise.
- The Leader of the Moon Worshipping Cult (拜月教主) is an evil and ambitious Black Miao cleric. He secretly rears the Water Demon Beast and frames the Miao queen for the disaster caused by his monster. He murders the king later, taking over the Miao kingdom until Zhao Ling'er's return. After defeated by the protagonists, he uses his own blood to revive the Water Demon Beast, forcing Zhao Ling'er to sacrifice herself to destroy the monster once and for all.
- The Water Demon Beast (水魔獸) is an ancient water monster summoned by the evil cleric. The monster thrives in places where water is present and its presence spells natural disasters for people near it. Zhao Ling'er sacrifices herself to destroy the monster in the final battle.
- Palace Mistress Lingyue (靈月宮主) was Zhao Ling'er's teacher and a friend of Zhao's mother. She recognised Zhao and Granny Jiang 10 years ago and brought them back to her palace on the island. She taught Zhao most of her skills. She reportedly spent her entire life trying to find Zhao's mother and died long before Li Xiaoyao first set foot on the island.
- (Chinese) New Legend of Sword and Fairy on Baidu Baike
- (Chinese) Li Xiaoyao on Baidu Baike
- (Chinese) Zhao Ling'er on Baidu Baike
- (Chinese) Lin Yueru on Baidu Baike
- (Chinese) A'nu on Baidu Baike
- (Chinese) Other The Legend of Sword and Fairy characters on Baidu Baike