|U.S. cities with significant Korean-American populations|
Cities with significant Korean American populations represent municipalities with critical masses of Korean Americans in their total urban or suburban populations. Information is based on the 2005-2009 American Community Survey or as specified in each table. The list includes those who have emigrated from South Korea as well as Korean Americans of multiple generations. There are numbers of North Koreans living in the United States, despite North Korean citizens being unable to freely emigrate out of their country. As of 2009, Americans of Korean descent made up about 0.4% of the population, or 1,307,000 people.
The four metropolitan areas with the highest Korean American populations as per the 2009 American Community Survey were the Greater Los Angeles Combined Statistical Area (300,000), the Greater New York Combined Statistical Area (200,000), the Washington-Baltimore Metropolitan Area (93,000), and the Dallas-Fort Worth Metropolitan Area (80,000)]. Southern California and the New York City Metropolitan Area have the largest populations of Koreans outside of the Korean Peninsula. Among Korean Americans born in Korea, the Los Angeles metropolitan area had 226,000 as of 2012; Greater New York (including Northern New Jersey) was home to 153,000 Korean-born Korean Americans; and metropolitan Washington, 60,000.
By percentage, the Korean American population of Bergen County, New Jersey, in the New York City Metropolitan Area, was 6.3% by the 2010 United States Census, the highest of any county in the United States. In 2010, Bergen County, host to the county's highly ranked Academies magnet public high school as well as to the North American headquarters operations of South Korean chaebols including Samsung, LG Corp, and Hanjin Shipping, was home to all of the nation's top ten municipalities by percentage of Korean population and an absolute total of 56,773 Korean Americans. The concentration of Korean Americans in Palisades Park, New Jersey, within Bergen County, was the highest of any municipality in the United States in 2010, at 52% of the population. The city of Los Angeles contained the highest Korean American population of any city proper in 2010, approximately 108,282.
The list of large cities (population greater than 250,000) with a Korean-American population of at least 1% of the total population.
|Rank||City||State||Korean-Americans 2010||Percentage 2010||Korean-Americans 2015||Percentage 2015|
|5||New York City||New York||96,741||1.2%||91,729||1.1%|
List of medium-sized cities (population between 100,000 and 250,000) with a Korean-American population of at least 1% of the total population.
Municipalities with density of at least 500 Korean Americans per square mile in 2010
Top ten municipalities as ranked by Korean-American percentage of total population in 2010
|1||Palisades Park||Bergen County||New Jersey||51.5%|
|2||Leonia||Bergen County||New Jersey||26.5%|
|3||Ridgefield||Bergen County||New Jersey||25.7%|
|4||Fort Lee||Bergen County||New Jersey||23.5%|
|5||Closter||Bergen County||New Jersey||21.2%|
|6||Englewood Cliffs||Bergen County||New Jersey||20.3%|
|7||Norwood||Bergen County||New Jersey||20.1%|
|8||Edgewater||Bergen County||New Jersey||19.6%|
|9||Cresskill||Bergen County||New Jersey||17.8%|
|10||Demarest||Bergen County||New Jersey||17.3%|
- Koreatown, Manhattan
- Koreatown, Long Island
- Koreatown, Los Angeles, California
- Koreatown, Palisades Park
- Koreatown, Fort Lee
- List of U.S. cities with Asian American majority populations
- List of U.S. cities with significant Chinese American populations
- History of the Korean Americans in Los Angeles
- Korean Americans in New York City
- Koreans in Chicago
- Korean diaspora
- Tech companies in the New York metropolitan area
- "KTV Plus Key Points" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-08-19. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- Chi-Hoon Kim (2015). Savoring Gotham: A Food Lover's Companion to New York City: A Food Lover's... ISBN 9780190263638. Retrieved April 24, 2016.
New York City has the second-largest Korean population outside of Korea with...
- Pyong Gap Min (2006). Asian Americans: Contemporary Trends and Issues. SAGE Publications. p. 236. ISBN 978-1-4129-0556-5.
Ahn, Daniel. "Profiling Culture: An Examination of Korean American Gangbangers in Southern California". Asian American Law Journal. University of California Berkeley School of Law. 11. Retrieved April 16, 2016.
Charles K. Armstrong (22 August 2013). The Koreas. Routledge. p. 82. ISBN 978-1-136-16132-2.
Rough Guides (2 May 2011). The Rough Guide to California. Penguin. p. 89. ISBN 978-1-4053-8302-8.
- Jie Zong and Jeanne Batalova (December 3, 2014). "Korean Immigrants in the United States - Table 1. Top Concentrations by Metropolitan Area for the Foreign Born from Korea, 2008-12". Migration Policy Institute. Retrieved April 16, 2016.
- Karen Sudol and Dave Sheingold (2011-10-12). "Korean language ballots coming to Bergen County". North Jersey Media Group. Retrieved 2011-10-13.
- Tanza Loudenback (2016-03-29). "The 50 smartest public high schools in America". Business Insider. Retrieved 2016-03-29.
- "America's Top High Schools 2015". Newsweek. Retrieved 2015-08-19.
- "Welcome to the Bergen County Academies". Bergen County Technical Schools. Archived from the original on October 27, 2014. Retrieved October 27, 2014.
- "Samsung Electronics America, Inc. Company Profile". Hoover's Inc. Retrieved June 26, 2015.
- Michael W. Curley, Jr. (February 7, 2017). "LG breaks ground on Englewood Cliffs HQ". NorthJersey.com - part of the USA TODAY network. Retrieved March 6, 2017.
- Richard Newman (September 20, 2016). "Stranded container ship gets go-ahead to dock in Elizabeth". NorthJersey.com via Gannett. Retrieved September 22, 2016.
- James O'Neill (February 22, 2015). "Mahwah library hosts Korean tea ceremony to celebrate new year". North Jersey Media Group. Retrieved February 22, 2015.
- RICHARD PÉREZ-PEÑA (2010-12-15). "PALISADES PARK JOURNAL As Koreans Pour In, a Town Is Remade". The New York Times Company. Retrieved 2011-10-13.
- "Los Angeles city, California QuickLinks". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on April 15, 2012. Retrieved October 27, 2014.
- "Korean Population by County, Island and Census Tract in the State of Hawaii: 2010" (PDF). Ohadatabook.com. Retrieved 27 May 2018.
- "Palisades Park borough, New Jersey QuickLinks". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on May 13, 2014. Retrieved June 24, 2014.