List of United Kingdom by-elections (1818–32)
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (January 2013)|
This is a list of parliamentary by-elections in the United Kingdom held between 1818 and 1832, with the names of the previous incumbent and the victor in the by-election.
In the absence of a comprehensive and reliable source, for party and factional alignments in this period, no attempt is made to define them in this article. The House of Commons: 1790-1820 and The House of Commons: 1820-1832 provide some guidance to the complex and shifting political relationships, but those works do not define each member's allegiances.
- See Resignation from the British House of Commons for more details.
Where the cause of by-election is given as "resignation", this indicates that the incumbent was appointed on his own request to an "office of profit under the Crown". Offices used, in this period, were the Stewards of the Chiltern Hundreds or the Manor of East Hendred and the Escheators of Munster or Ulster. These appointments are made as a constitutional device for leaving the House of Commons, whose Members are not permitted to resign. If the vacancy was caused by appointment to another office then this office is noted in brackets.
The c/u column denotes whether the by-election was a contested poll or an unopposed return. If the winner was re-elected, at the next general election and any intermediate by-elections, this is indicated by an * following the c or u. In a few cases the winner was elected at the next general election but had not been re-elected in a by-election after the one noted. In those cases no * symbol is used.
6th Parliament (1818–1820)
7th Parliament (1820–1826)
8th Parliament (1826–1830)
9th Parliament (1830–1831)
10th Parliament (1831–1832)
- List of MPs since 1660
- Return of the name of every member of the lower house of parliament of England, Scotland, and Ireland, with name of constituency represented, and date of return, from 1213 to 1874.
- Parliamentary Election Results in Ireland, 1801-1922, edited by B.M. Walker (Royal Irish Academy 1978) ISBN 0-901714-12-7
- The House of Commons 1790-1820, edited by R.G. Thorne (Secker & Warburg 1986) ISBN 0-436-52101-6
- The House of Commons 1820-1832, edited by D.R. Fisher (Cambridge University Press 2009) ISBN 9780521193146
- History of Parliament: Members 1790-1820
- History of Parliament: Constituencies 1790-1820
- History of Parliament: Members 1820-1832
- History of Parliament: Constituencies 1820-1832