List of United States Senators in the 2nd Congress by seniority
The order of service is based on the commencement of the senator's first term, with senators entering service the same day ranked alphabetically. The Senate subsequently assigned a consecutive official number to each Senator, which is the second number given in the table.
During this time, there were no official parties, but senators are labeled as Pro-Administration (P), and Anti-Administration (A).
Terms of Service
|Class||Terms of Service of Senators that will expire in years||States|
|Class 2||Terms of service of Senators that will expire in 1793||CT (), GA (), DE (), MA (), MD (), NC (), NJ (), PA (), RI (), VT (), and VA ().|
|Class 3||Terms of service of Senators that will expire in 1795|
|Class 1||Terms of service of Senators that will expire in 1797||CT (), DE (), KY (), MA (), NJ (), NY (), PA (), RI (), SC (), VT (), and VA ().|
U.S. Senate Seniority List
|Senator (Party-State)||Seniority Date|
|1||1||Richard Bassett (A-DE)||March 4, 1789|
|2||2||Pierce Butler (A-SC)|
|3||3||Charles Carroll (P-MD)|
|4||5||Oliver Ellsworth (P-CT)|
|5||7||William Few (A-GA)|
|6||9||James Gunn (A-GA)|
|7||10||John Henry (P-MD)|
|8||11||Ralph Izard (P-SC)|
|9||12||William Samuel Johnson (P-CT)|
|10||13||John Langdon (P-NH)|
|11||14||Richard Henry Lee (A-VA)|
|12||16||Robert Morris (P-PA)|
|13||18||George Read (P-DE)|
|14||20||Caleb Strong (P-MA)|
|15||21||Paine Wingate (A-NH)|
|16||22||Rufus King (P-NY)||July 16, 1789|
|17||23||Benjamin Hawkins (P-NC)||November 27, 1789|
|18||24||Samuel Johnston (P-NC)|
|19||26||Theodore Foster (P-RI)||June 7, 1790|
|20||27||Joseph Stanton IV (A-RI)|
|21||28||James Monroe (A-VA)||November 9, 1790|
|22||29||Philemon Dickinson (P-NJ)||November 23, 1790|
|23||30||Aaron Burr (A-NY)||March 4, 1791|
|24||31||George Cabot (P-MA)|
|25||32||John Rutherfurd (P-NJ)|
|26||33||Roger Sherman (P-CT)||June 13, 1791|
|27||34||Stephen Row Bradley (A-VT)||October 17, 1791|
|28||35||Moses Robinson (A-VT)|
|29||36||John Brown (A-KY)||June 18, 1792|
|30||37||John Edwards (A-KY)|
|31||38||John Taylor (A-VA)||October 18, 1792|
|32||39||Richard Potts (P-MD)||January 10, 1793|
- 2nd United States Congress
- List of Members of the United States House of Representatives in the 2nd Congress by seniority
- A Chronological List of United States Senators 1789-Present, via www.Senate.gov
- Terms of service of Senators that will expire in 1793.
- Terms of service of Senators that will expire in 1795.
- Terms of service of Senators that will expire in 1797.
- Charles Carroll resigned on November 30, 1792 to remain a State Senator.
- William Samuel Johnson resigned on March 4, 1791.
- Richard Henry Lee resigned on October 8, 1792.