List of United States Senators in the 3rd Congress by seniority
The order of service is based on the commencement of the senator's first term, with senators entering service the same day ranked alphabetically. The Senate subsequently assigned a consecutive official number to each Senator, which is the second number given in the table.
During this time, there were no official parties, but senators are labeled as Pro-Administration (P), and Anti-Administration (A). Towards the end of the Congress, Stevens T. Mason of Virginia is classified in the Chronological List of United States Senators as a Democratic-Republican (DR) and Henry Latimer of Delaware as a Federalist (F).
Terms of Service
|Class||Terms of Service of Senators that will expire in years|
|Class 3||Terms of service of Senators that will expire in 1795|
|Class 1||Terms of service of Senators that will expire in 1797|
|Class 2||Terms of service of Senators that will expire in 1799|
U.S. Senate Seniority List
|Senator (Party-State)||Seniority date|
|1||2||Pierce Butler (A-SC)||March 4, 1789|
|2||5||Oliver Ellsworth (P-CT)|
|3||9||James Gunn (A-GA)|
|4||10||John Henry (P-MD)|
|5||11||Ralph Izard (P-SC)|
|6||13||John Langdon (A-NH)|
|7||16||Robert Morris (P-PA)|
|8||18||George Read (P-DE)|
|9||20||Caleb Strong (P-MA)|
|10||21||Rufus King (P-NY)||July 16, 1789|
|11||22||Benjamin Hawkins (P-NC)||November 27, 1789|
|12||23||Theodore Foster (P-RI)||June 7, 1790|
|13||24||James Monroe (A-VA)||November 9, 1790|
|14||25||Aaron Burr (A-NY)||March 4, 1791|
|15||26||George Cabot (P-MA)|
|16||27||John Rutherfurd (P-NJ)|
|17||28||Roger Sherman (P-CT)||June 13, 1791|
|18||29||Stephen Row Bradley (A-VT)||October 17, 1791|
|19||30||Moses Robinson (A-VT)|
|20||31||John Brown (A-KY)||June 18, 1792|
|21||32||John Edwards (A-KY)|
|22||33||John Taylor (A-VA)||October 18, 1792|
|23||34||Richard Potts (P-MD)||January 10, 1793|
|24||35||William Bradford (P-RI)||March 4, 1793|
|25||36||Frederick Frelinghuysen (P-NJ)|
|26||37||James Jackson (A-GA)|
|27||38||Samuel Livermore (P-NH)|
|28||39||Alexander Martin (A-NC)|
|29||40||John Vining (P-DE)|
|30||41||Stephen Mix Mitchell (P-CT)||December 2, 1793|
|31||42||James Ross (P-PA)||April 24, 1794|
|32||43||Stevens Thomson Mason (A-VA)||November 18, 1794|
|33||44||Henry Tazewell (A-VA)|
|34||45||Henry Latimer (P-DE)||February 7, 1795|
- A Chronological List of United States Senators 1789-Present, via www.Senate.gov
- Terms of service of Senators that will expire in 1795.
- Terms of service of Senators that will expire in 1797.
- Terms of service of Senators that will expire in 1799.
- George Read resigned September 18, 1793 to become Chief Justice of Delaware.
- James Monroe resigned May 27, 1794 to become Minister to France
- Roger Sherman died January 23, 1793.
- John Taylor resigned May 11, 1794.
- This Pennsylvania seat was vacant from March 4, 1791. Albert Gallatin (A-PA), presented credentials on December 2, 1793, but was declared ineligible on February 28, 1794. He is not included in the Chronological List of United States Senators.
- 3rd United States Congress
- List of Members of the United States House of Representatives in the 3rd Congress by seniority