List of University of Calgary people
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2014)|
This is a list of people associated with the University of Calgary.
- 1 Alumni
- 1.1 Archeology
- 1.2 Business Administration/Commerce
- 1.3 Classics
- 1.4 Computer Science
- 1.5 Economics
- 1.6 Education
- 1.7 Engineering
- 1.8 English/Literature/Fine Arts
- 1.9 International Relations
- 1.10 Law
- 1.11 Mathematics
- 1.12 Medicine
- 1.13 Natural Sciences
- 1.14 Philosophy
- 1.15 Political Science
- 1.16 Social Sciences
- 1.17 Sports
- 2 Faculty
- 3 References
Alumni are listed by their department of study.
- Al Duerr, M.B.A.: former Mayor of Calgary
- Jodi Evans, B.Comm.: Olympic Basketball player and Rhodes Scholar
- Dawn Farrell, B. Comm.: President & CEO, TransAlta
- Charlie Fischer, B.Sc (engineering), M.B.A.: former president and CEO of Nexen Inc
- Russ Girling, B. Comm., M.B.A.: President & CEO, TransCanada Corporation
- Gary Kovacs, M.B.A. : CEO of Mozilla Corporation
- Hal Kvisle, M.B.A.: CEO of Talsiman, member of the Trilateral Commission.
- Ezra Levant, B.Comm.: journalist, conservative writer and commentator
- Naheed Nenshi, B.Comm.: also educated at Harvard University, Mayor of Calgary.
- W. Brett Wilson, O.C., M.B.A.: businessman, philanthropist, member of the Order of Canada.
- John Zaozirny, B.Comm.: lawyer, former Minister of Energy for Alberta.
- Michael Lapidge, B.A. : Fellow Emeritus of Clare College, Cambridge University, Medieval Scholar, Fellow of the British Academy and recipient of the Sir Israel Gollancz Prize
- Theo de Raadt, B.Sc. 1992: founder and leader of OpenBSD and other projects developed with University of California at Berkeley and DARPA.
- James Gosling OC, B.Sc. 1977: inventor of the Java programming language.
- Stephen Harper, B.A. 1985, M.A. 1991: Prime Minister of Canada
- Danielle Smith, B.A.: politician, Member of Alberta's Progressive Conservative Party
- Bart Demosky, CFO, Suncor Energy
- Chip Wilson B.A.: founder of Lululemon
- Robert Thirsk, B.Sc. 1985: astronaut.
- Gerald Fuller, B.Sc.: professor of chemical engineering at Stanford University
- Christine Nesbitt, Canadian Olympic gold medalist in long track speed skating
- Klaus-Jurgen Bathe, M.Sc.: pioneer of finite element analysis, professor of mechanical engineering at Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- M. Elizabeth Cannon Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada.
- Garrett Camp, B.Eng., M.Sc. computer science : co-founded StumbleUpon and Uber
- Hatim Zaghloul, M.Sc., Ph.D. (physics): inventor, co-founder of WiLAN
- Jaz Banga, B.Sc.: telecom innovator, founded Feeva Technology Inc under Dr. John Freeman at University of California at Berkley
- Grant Mossop, B.Sc., M.Sc. Director of the Geological Survey of Canada
- Douglas R. Hamilton (Ph.D. '91): NASA flight surgeon and biomedical engineer
- Hiromi Goto, B.A. (English) : Canadian-Japanese author and cultural critic, recipient of Commonwealth Writer's Prize
- Laurel Johannesson, M.F.A. : internationally exhibited visual artist, studied at the Royal College of Art, past Visiting Artist at the American Academy in Rome
- Lynette Loeppky
- Pierre Poilievre, B.A.: Member of Canadian Parliament.
- Diane Ablonczy: LL.B.: Member of Parliament of Canada
- Joanne Archibald : B.A., LL.B. : former Appeal Board Chairperson for Public Service Commission of Canada, appointed to Alberta Human Rights Commission
- Gary Botting: J.D.: lawyer, author, scholar, leading authority on Canadian extradition law
- Joan Brockman : LL.B. : lawyer honoured by the CBA, author, social theorist, professor of criminology
- Neil Brown, Q.C., B.Sc., LL.B.: lawyer, professor of biology, member of Alberta Legislative Assembly
- Scott Cochlan: LL.B. : Partner at Torys LLP
- James M. Dickson, Q.C., P.Eng. : LL.B. : Partner at Stewart McKelvey, named among Lexpert Magazine's Zenith Awards
- Kathleen Ganley: J.D. : Attorney General and Minister of Justice of Alberta
- Eric Greif, LL.B. : noted entertainment lawyer and music producer
- Paul Groarke : LL.B. : criminal lawyer, former member of Canadian Human Rights Commission, professor of philosophy
- Kent Hehr: J.D.: member of Alberta Legislative Assembly
- Paul Jeffrey : LL.B. : Justice at Alberta Court of Queen's Bench
- Alan Jochelson: LL.B. : Partner at Gowlings, former partner at Ernst & Young
- Linda M. Kamerman: LL.B. : Mining & Lands Commissioner of Ontario at Office of the Mining & Lands Commissioner
- Maureen Killoran Q.C., J.D. : Managing Partner at Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt
- Warren Kinsella: LL.B. : Toronto-based lawyer and political consultant, former key strategist for the Liberal Party of Canada
- Anne Kirker, Q.C. : LL.B. : Partner at Norton Rose, named among Top 100 Most Powerful Women in 2014, President of Law Society of Alberta
- Harvey Locke : B.A., LL.B. : internationally recognized conservationist lawyer, named as Canada's 21st century Leader by Time Magazine
- Cecilia Low: LL.M. : Commissioner at Alberta Energy Regulator
- Janice Odegaard : LL.B. : Senior VP and General Counsel for Suncor Energy, named among Top 100 Most Powerful Women in 2014
- Richard O'Gorman : LL.B. : Judge at Alberta Queen's Bench, Assistant Chief Judge of Calgary Family Court
- Hugh O'Reilly: LL.B. : former partner at Torys LLP, former partner at Cavalluzzo Shilton McIntyre Cornish LLP, President & CEO of OPTrust
- William D. McFetridge, Q.C. : LL.B. : Partner at Miles Davison LLP, Arbitrator at Lancaster House, named among Best Lawyers of Canada, alternate Tribunal Chair of Alberta Human Rights Commission, Chair of Board of Inquiry Under Alberta Individual Rights Protection Act
- Stephanie McLean: J.D. : Member of Alberta Legislative Assembly
- Magdalena Muir: LL.M. : named a Canada Fulbright Scholar
- Terra Nicolay: LL.M. : Senior Counsel at Chevron
- Blair Nixon, Q.C. : LL.B. : former partner at Felesky Flynn LLP, former CFO at Walton Global Investments, Justice at Court of Queen's Bench of Alberta
- Patricia Rowbotham LL.B. : Judge at Alberta Court of Appeal
- Irfan Sabir: J.D. : Minister of Human Services of Alberta
- Sergei Scurfield: B.Comm., LL.B.: former Member of Parliament of Canada
- Lisa Silver: LL.M. : LL.B. at Osgoode Hall Law School, Calgary Police Commissioner and former Justice of the Peace, past president of Calgary Jewish Academy
- Linda Taylor (lawyer): B.A., LL.B.: LL.M. at Cambridge University, Executive Director at the United Nations Office of Administration of Justice (OAJ)  
- Nickie Vlavianos: LL.M. : legal scholar, LL.M thesis received Governor General's Gold Medal for best graduate thesis of any faculty in Canada  
- Dwight Duffus, Ph.D. : Goodrich C White Professor of Mathematics at Emory University
- Douglas Wiens, B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D. : recipient of Lester R. Ford Award from Mathematical Association of America, Fellow of American Statistical Association
- Sue Pedersen, M.D.: endocrinologist and world expert on obesity.
- Sanjeev Dutta, M.D.: associate professor at Stanford University.
- D. George Wyse, M.D.: pharmacologist, internationally recognized expert in Cardiac Arrhythmia
- Ashton F. Embry, Ph.D. : noted paleontologist, research scientist at Geological Survey of Canada
- David A Wardle, Ph.D. : ecologist, Fellow of the Royal Society of New Zealand
- Samuel Weiss, Ph.D.: pioneer in neurobiology
- Mingjie Zhang, Ph.D. : recipient of China's State Natural Science Award, Member of Chinese Academy of Science
- Onkar Ghate, M.A., Ph.D.: senior fellow at the Ayn Rand Institute
- Jan Zwicky, B.A.: philosopher, poet.
- Rob Anders, B.A.: Member of Canadian Parliament.
- Ian Brodie, M.A., Ph.D.: political scientist and former Chief of Staff to Prime Minister Stephen Harper
- Sharon Carstairs: Member of the Canadian Senate.
- Susanne Craig, B.A.: journalist for Wall Street Journal and New York Times.
- Zsuzsi Gartner, B.A.: journalist at Globe & Mail
- Paul Gibbard, B.A. : former Canadian Ambassador to Venezuela
- Ray Novak, Ph.D.: Chief of Staff to Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper
- Christopher Manfredi, B.A., M.A. : writer and constitutional scholar, Ph.D. Claremont Graduate School, Dean of Arts at McGill University
- Lee Richardson: former member of the Canadian Parliament, also educated at the University of Oxford
- Murray Smith, B.A.: former Minister of Energy for Alberta.
- Lorne Taylor, B.A. : former Minister of Environment for Alberta
- Imants Barušs, M.Sc. (Psychology) : author, member of New York Academy of Sciences
- Reginald Bibby O.C., M.A.: celebrated sociologist, member of the Order of Canada
- Keith Hampton, B.A. (Sociology) : recipient of International Communication Association award, taught at MIT and University of Pennsylvania
- Jim Hawkes, M.Sc. (Psychology): chief aid to PM Joe Clark, leader of Progressive Conservative Party of Canada, Government Whip in House of Commons of Canada
- Sunday Omony, B.A. (Communications), Activist and plus-size model
- Michael J. Neufeld, B.A. : historian and author, Ph.D. at Johns Hopkins University, curator of the Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum
- Kristina Groves, Olympic Silver Medalist in speed skating.
- Chris le Bihan. Olympic Bronze Medalist
- Christine Nesbitt. Olympic Gold Medalist
- Arne Dankers. Olympic Silver Medalist
- J. P. Izquierdo, Canadian football player
- Steve Rodehutskors, Canadian football player
- Greg Vavra, former Canadian Football League quarterback
Faculty are listed by their academic department.
- Kathleen Mahoney, Q.C., LL.B., LL.M., Diploma in International Human Rights Law (University of Cambridge, Institut International des Droits de l'Homme, Strasbourg), Fellow of The Royal Society of Canada, Human Rights Fellow (Harvard Law School), Counsel to Bosnia Herzegovina at the International Court of Justice, named Expert Advisor to InterAction Council of Former Heads of State and Government, Secretary of the National Academy of Social Sciences for the Royal Society of Canada.
- Jack Mintz, Ph.D., (cross-appointed to School of Public Policy), former President and CEO of C.D. Howe Institute, widely published consultant to World Bank, IMF and OECD, Special Advisor to Canadian Dept of Finance (1984-86), Independent Director of Imperial Oil Ltd. since 2005, named among worlds top experts in tax policy by UK Magazine (2004), named among five most influential experts in regulation by the Financial Post (2012), Research Fellow at Oxford University.
- Ian Brodie, Ph.D., Former Chief of Staff to the Prime Minister of Canada. (sessional lecturer)
- Barry F. Cooper: member of the Calgary School.
- Tom Flanagan: member of the Calgary School, advisor to Preston Manning and Stephen Harper.
- Rainer Knopff: member of the Calgary School.
- Ted Morton: member of the Calgary School, Alberta MLA.
- Károly Bezdek: Canada Research Chair and Director of the Centre for Computational and Discrete Geometry in the Faculty of Science.
- Morley D. Hollenberg: pharmacologist, Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada 
- Quentin Pittman: neuroscientist (fever research)
- Eldon Smith: cardiologist, Advisory Board Chair of the Libin Cardiovascular Institute of Alberta
- John L. Wallace: pharmacologist (inflammation research), Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada  & entrepreneur (co-founder of Nicox, founder of Antibe Therapeutics )
- Michael Walsh: molecular biologist, Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada http://www.rsc.ca/documents/media/2009%20New%20Fellows%20(Citations).pdf[dead link]
- Samuel Weiss: neuroscientist, Director of the Hotchkiss Brain Institute
- D. George Wyse: cardiologist and pharmacologist, Distinguished Scientist of the Heart Rhythm Society
- Tayler, Theresa (June 23, 2011). "Fiercely real role model; Local fashion model lends her talent to humanitarian work.". Canwest News Service.