List of University of Calgary people
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
This is a list of people associated with the University of Calgary.
- 1 Alumni
- 1.1 Archeology
- 1.2 Business Administration/Commerce
- 1.3 Classics
- 1.4 Computer Science
- 1.5 Economics
- 1.6 Engineering
- 1.7 English/Literature/Humanities/Fine Arts
- 1.8 International Relations
- 1.9 Kinesiology
- 1.10 Law
- 1.11 Mathematics
- 1.12 Medicine
- 1.13 Natural Sciences
- 1.14 Political Science
- 1.15 Social Sciences
- 1.16 Social Work/Library Studies/Education/ECE
- 1.17 Sports
- 1.18 Olympians
- 1.19 Other
- 2 Faculty
- 3 References
Alumni are listed by their department of study.
- Peter Mathews, B.A. : Mayanist, MacArthur Fellow at Yale University
- Ronald Wright: award-winning Cambridge University-educated author and historian
- Al Duerr, M.B.A.: Mayor of Calgary
- Charlie Fischer, B.Sc (engineering), M.B.A.: president and CEO of Nexen Inc
- Russ Girling, B. Comm., M.B.A.: President & CEO, TransCanada Corporation
- Gary Kovacs, M.B.A. : CEO of Mozilla Corporation
- Hal Kvisle, M.B.A.: CEO of Talsiman, member of the Trilateral Commission.
- Ezra Levant, B.Comm.: journalist, conservative writer and commentator
- Devant Maharaj, B.Comm., : former Senator and Minister of Food Production, Trinidad and Tobago.
- Naheed Nenshi, B.Comm.: also educated at Harvard University, Mayor of Calgary.
- Rob Renner, B.Comm : Minister of Environment for Alberta
- Jonathan Scott, B.Comm.: actor known for his work on Property Brothers.
- W. Brett Wilson, O.C., M.B.A.: businessman, philanthropist, member of the Order of Canada.
- John Zaozirny, B.Comm.: lawyer, Minister of Energy for Alberta.
- Michael Lapidge, B.A. : Medieval Scholar, Fellow Emeritus of Clare College, Cambridge University; Fellow of the British Academy, recipient of the Sir Israel Gollancz Prize
- Theo de Raadt, B.Sc. 1992: founder and leader of OpenBSD and other projects developed with University of California at Berkeley and DARPA.
- James Gosling OC, B.Sc. 1977: inventor of the Java programming language.
- Radford M. Neal, B.Sc., M.Sc. : Research Chair in Statistics and Machine Learning
- John Anderson, B.A. : Rhodes Scholar
- Stephen Harper, B.A. 1985, M.A. 1991: Prime Minister of Canada
- Danielle Smith, B.A.: politician, Member of Alberta's Progressive Conservative Party
- Chip Wilson B.A.: founder of Lululemon
- Robert Thirsk, B.Sc. 1985: astronaut.
- Gerald Fuller, B.Sc.: professor of chemical engineering at Stanford University
- Christine Nesbitt, Canadian Olympic gold medalist in long track speed skating
- Klaus-Jurgen Bathe, M.Sc.: pioneer of finite element analysis, professor of mechanical engineering at Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- M. Elizabeth Cannon Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada.
- Garrett Camp, B.Eng., M.Sc. computer science : co-founded StumbleUpon and Uber
- Hatim Zaghloul, M.Sc., Ph.D. (physics): inventor, co-founder of WiLAN
- Grant Mossop, B.Sc., M.Sc. Director of the Geological Survey of Canada
- Bernadette Andrea, B.A., M.A. : C. Jacobs Endowed Professor in Literature at University of Texas, Ph.D. at Cornell University
- Derek Michael Besant, B.F.A. : internationally acclaimed artist, member of Royal Canadian Academy of Arts
- John Campbell, M.A. : held Wilde Professorship of Mental Philosophy, lecture's at UC Berkeley
- Onkar Ghate, M.A., Ph.D. (philosophy): senior fellow at the Ayn Rand Institute
- Don Gillmor, B.A. : writer, Governor General's award, Canadian National Magazine Awards, appeared in The Walrus & Rolling Stone
- Hiromi Goto, B.A. (English) : Canadian-Japanese author and cultural critic, recipient of Commonwealth Writer's Prize
- Laurel Johannesson, M.F.A. : internationally exhibited artist, studied at the Royal College of Art, Visiting Artist at the American Academy in Rome
- Rosa Marchitelli, B.A. (English) : CBC journalist in Vancouver
- Robert McKim, M.A. : professor of Religion, Ph.D. from Yale University
- Helen McLean, M.A. : painter
- L.R. Wright, (Writing) : mystery writer, recipient of Edgar Allen Award
- Jan Zwicky, B.A.: philosopher, poet
- Maurice Yacowar, B.A. : film theorist, authored seminal studies on Woody Allen, Mel Brooks, and Paul Morrissey
- Pierre Poilievre, B.A.: Member of Canadian Parliament.
- Diane Ablonczy: LL.B.: Member of Parliament of Canada
- Gary Botting: J.D.: lawyer, author, scholar, leading authority on Canadian extradition law
- Joan Brockman : LL.B. : lawyer honoured by the CBA, author, social theorist, professor of criminology
- Neil Brown, Q.C., B.Sc., LL.B.: lawyer, professor of biology, member of Alberta Legislative Assembly
- Kathleen Ganley: J.D. : Attorney General of Alberta
- Eric Greif, LL.B. : noted entertainment lawyer and music producer
- Kent Hehr: J.D.: Cabinet Minister in Canadian Parliament
- Janet Keeping : LL.B. : architect from MIT and Leader of the Green Party of Alberta
- Warren Kinsella: LL.B. : Toronto-based lawyer and political consultant, key strategist for the Liberal Party of Canada
- Kirk Lamb: LL.B. : Princeton University alumnus, Chairman of Canadian Junior Hockey League, sports lawyer at Burnet, Duckworth & Palmer LLP
- Harvey Locke : B.A., LL.B. : internationally recognized conservationist lawyer, named as Canada's 21st century Leader by Time Magazine
- Riaz Mamdani : J.D. : Pharmacist, corporate lawyer, CEO of property developer Strategic Group
- Stephanie McLean: J.D. : Alberta Cabinet Minister
- Magdalena Muir: LL.M. : named a Canada Fulbright Scholar
- Valerie R. Prather, Q.C. : LL.B. : Partner at Bennett Jones LLP, focus in professional negligence, published scholar on medical law and bioethics, lecturer in the Faculty of Medicine
- Patricia Rowbotham LL.B. : LL.M. from Cambridge University, Judge at Alberta Court of Appeal
- Irfan Sabir: J.D. : Minister of Human Services of Alberta
- Christine E. Silverberg : J.D. : first female Chief of Calgary Police Services, Woman of Valour Award from B'nai B'rith
- Linda Taylor (lawyer): B.A., LL.B.: LL.M. at Cambridge University, Executive Director at the United Nations Office of Administration of Justice (OAJ)  
- Nickie Vlavianos: LL.M. : legal scholar, LL.M thesis received Governor General's Gold Medal for best graduate thesis of any faculty in Canada  
- Paul M. Williams : LL.B. : Cambridge University alumnus, Energy & Finance lawyer at Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP, Los Angeles CA office
- Barbara M Young : LL.B. : Justice at the Supreme Court of British Columbia
- Dwight Duffus, Ph.D. : Goodrich C White Professor of Mathematics at Emory University
- Douglas Wiens, B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D. : recipient of Lester R. Ford Award from Mathematical Association of America, Fellow of American Statistical Association
- Ian H. Witten, M.Sc. : B.A. at Cambridge University, inventor of WEKA, Fellow of the Royal Society of New Zealand
- Sue Pedersen, M.D.: endocrinologist and world expert on obesity.
- William Gnam, M.D. : psychiatrist, Harvard trained health economist, Rhodes Scholar
- D. George Wyse, M.D.: pharmacologist, internationally recognized expert in Cardiac Arrhythmia
- Cyrille Barette, Ph.D. : biologist, recipient of Prix Sceptique from Sceptiques du Québec
- Graeme I. Bell, B.SC., M.Sc. : Human Geneticist, Professor of Biomedical Sciences at the University of Chicago
- Terry Duguid, M.Sc. (Env. Des.) : Member of Canadian Parliament
- Ashton F. Embry, Ph.D. : Geological Survey of Canada scientist, fossil named in his honour
- Bogdan Knezevic, B.Sc. : neuroscientist, Rhodes Scholar
- Kenneth B. Storey, B.Sc : molecular biologist, appointed to Royal Society of Canada, member of American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Professor Joseph Sung(PhD 1991), Vice-Chancellor / President of the Chinese University of Hong Kong(CUHK) and Mok Hing Yiu Professor of Medicine, CUHK
- Umesh Varshney, Ph.D. : molecular biologist at Indian Institute of Science, member of Indian National Science Academy
- Alice Vrielink, B.Sc., M.S.c. : Vice President of Society of Crystallographers (Australia & New Zealand), member of American Crystallographic Association, Ph.D. from the University of London
- David A Wardle, Ph.D. : ecologist, Fellow of the Royal Society of New Zealand
- Samuel Weiss, Ph.D.: pioneer in neurobiology
- Mingjie Zhang, Ph.D. : recipient of China's State Natural Science Award, Member of Chinese Academy of Science
- Rob Anders, B.A.: Member of Canadian Parliament.
- Ian Brodie, M.A., Ph.D.: political scientist and former Chief of Staff to Prime Minister Stephen Harper
- Sharon Carstairs: Member of the Canadian Senate.
- Susanne Craig, B.A.: journalist for Wall Street Journal and New York Times.
- Kyle Fawcett, B.A. : Minister of Energy for Alberta
- Zsuzsi Gartner, B.A.: journalist at Globe & Mail
- Paul Gibbard, B.A. : Canadian Ambassador to Venezuela
- Pat Kelly, B.A. : Member of Canadian Parliament
- Mercedes Stephenson, B.A. : journalist and military analyst
- Ray Novak, Ph.D.: Chief of Staff to Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper
- Christopher Manfredi, B.A., M.A. : writer and constitutional scholar, Ph.D. Claremont Graduate School, Dean of Arts at McGill University
- Lee Richardson: member of the Canadian Parliament, also educated at the University of Oxford
- Murray Smith, B.A.: Minister of Energy for Alberta.
- Lorne Taylor, B.A. : Minister of Environment for Alberta
- Imants Barušs, M.Sc. (Psychology) : author, member of New York Academy of Sciences
- Reginald Bibby O.C., M.A.: celebrated sociologist, member of the Order of Canada
- George Brizan, CGM CBE : Prime Minister of Grenada
- Eliana Coldham, B.Sc. (Psychology): recipient of Rhodes Scholarship
- Keith Hampton, B.A. (Sociology) : recipient of International Communication Association award, taught at MIT and University of Pennsylvania
- Jim Hawkes, M.Sc. (Psychology): chief aid to PM Joe Clark, leader of Progressive Conservative Party of Canada, Government Whip in House of Commons of Canada
- Robert Janes, Ph.D. : Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Museum Management and Curatorship, Lieutenant Governor's Award, Fellow of Canadian Museums Association
- Zhang Ling, M.A. : novelist, recipient of The People's Literature Award in China
- Michael J. Neufeld, B.A. : historian and author, Ph.D. at Johns Hopkins University, curator of the Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum
- Anita Vandenbeld, B.A. : international advisor with United Nations organizations, Member of Canadian Parliament
- Douglas Wiebe, B.A. : associate professor of epidemiology at Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, senior fellow at Leonard Davis Institute of Health Economics
- Erin Weir, M.A. : economist with Privy Council, Member of Canadian Parliament
Social Work/Library Studies/Education/ECE
- Allison Beveridge, Olympic Bronze Medalist, (cycling)
- Arne Dankers. Olympic Silver Medalist
- Kristina Groves, Olympic Silver Medalist in speed skating
- Jan Hudec, Olympic Bronze Medalist (2014 Sochi, Alpine Skiing)
- Chris le Bihan. Olympic Bronze Medalist
- Kirsti Lay, Olympic Bronze Medalist, cycling
- Christine Nesbitt. Olympic Gold Medalist
- Mark Tewksbury, Olympic Gold Medalist (swimming)
- Erica Wiebe, Olympic Gold Medalist
- Sukh Chungh, Canadian football player
- J. P. Izquierdo, Canadian football player
- Steve Rodehutskors, Canadian football player
- Greg Vavra, former Canadian Football League quarterback
- Kate O'Brien (cyclist), Canadian track cyclist and bobsledder
Faculty are listed by their academic department.
- Anna-Maria Hubert, Legal scholar specializing in international marine law and adjudication of science, Research Fellow at Institute for Science, Innovation and Society (InSIS) at the University of Oxford.
- Ian Brodie: former advisor to the Canadian Prime Minister, Strategic Advisor to the Inter-American Development Bank.
- Barry F. Cooper: member of the Calgary School.
- Tom Flanagan: member of the Calgary School, advisor to Preston Manning and Stephen Harper.
- Rainer Knopff: member of the Calgary School.
- Ted Morton: member of the Calgary School, Alberta MLA.
- Arthur W. Knudsen: researcher on the Manhattan Project, is credited by the Physics Dept. for creating the laboratory system used by the dept. today.
- Károly Bezdek: Canada Research Chair and Director of the Centre for Computational and Discrete Geometry in the Faculty of Science.
- Richard K. Guy : combinatorial game theorist, discovered unistable polyhedron with John Horton Conway.
- Morley D. Hollenberg: pharmacologist, Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada 
- Quentin Pittman: neuroscientist (fever research)
- Eldon Smith: cardiologist, Advisory Board Chair of the Libin Cardiovascular Institute of Alberta
- John L. Wallace: pharmacologist (inflammation research), Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada  & entrepreneur (co-founder of Nicox, founder of Antibe Therapeutics )
- Michael Walsh: molecular biologist, Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada https://web.archive.org/web/20100613170937/http://www.rsc.ca/documents/media/2009%20New%20Fellows%20%28Citations%29.pdf
- Samuel Weiss: neuroscientist, Director of the Hotchkiss Brain Institute
- D. George Wyse: cardiologist and pharmacologist, Distinguished Scientist of the Heart Rhythm Society