List of University of North Alabama people
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- James (Jim) H. Davis, Professor of Chemistry at the University of South Alabama, and Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry. Internationally recognized authority on the chemistry of ionic liquids.
- Donald B. Dodd, Emeritus professor of history at Auburn University Montgomery and a noted authority on Southern Unionism in northwest Alabama, particularly the Republic of Winston.
- Lorri Glover, professor of history, Saint Louis University, and author of five books on colonial and post-Revolutionary American history.
- David F. Kern, associate professor and McAdams Frierson Chair of Bank Management at Arkansas State University.
- Thomas L. Maddin (1826-1908), Confederate physician, professor of medicine at the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
- Danny B. Moore, professor, provost and vice president of Academic Affairs, Chowan University.
- Robert C. Snyder, English professor at Louisiana Tech University, 1947-1989.
- David Weir, professor emeritus at Cooper Union, expert on Decadent Movement in literature and its impact on America.
Arts and entertainment
- Walt Aldridge, composer of “There’s No Getting Over Me” and “Holding Her and Loving You”
- Clay Bennett, Pulitzer Prize-winning editorial cartoonist
- Michael Conner Humphreys, portrayed the young Forrest Gump in the film Forrest Gump.
- David Hood, world-renowned bassist, member of Alabama Music Hall of Fame
- Patterson Hood, composer and front man, Drive-by Truckers
- Priyanka Karki, Nepalese actress, former Miss Teen Nepal, VJ, singer, choreographer, model, and dancer
- George "Goober" Lindsey, actor and narrator, founder of George Lindsey Film Festival
- Pam Long, Miss Alabama 1974, scriptwriter of television's Guiding Light
- Michael 'Nick' Nichols ’78, photographer and Editor-at-large, National Geographic
- Thomas Sigismund Stribling, Pulitzer Prize-winning writer
- Glenn Shadix, actor of stage and screen
- Mark Thompson, radio personality, Mark & Brian Morning Show
- Steve Trash, magician, environmental advocate, children's entertainer
- Danny Vinson, actor, best known for role as David Chamber in episode "Live Bait" of The Walking Dead
- John Paul White, Grammy Award-winning singer-songwriter, The Civil Wars
- Darryl Worley, country music singer-songwriter
- Tom York, host of Tom York Morning Show, Emmy Award winner
- Jim Blasingame, founder of Small Business Network, author, syndicated radio show host
- Wendell Wilkie Gunn, first black student admitted to Florence State Teachers College.
Law, government and politics
- Miles C. Allgood (graduated 1898), United States Representative from Alabama (1923–1935)
- Edward B. Almon, United States Representative from Alabama (1915–1933)
- Billy Joe Camp, Alabama Secretary of State, Public Service Commissioner and Gubernatorial Press Secretary
- Mike Curtis, member, Alabama House of Representatives, representing 2nd District
- Ronnie Flippo, former member of the United States Congress
- Paul Hubbert, executive director, Alabama Education Association; 1990 Democratic gubernatorial nominee
- Tammy Irons, member, Alabama Senate, representing 1st District
- Hiram Raleigh Kennedy, physician and member of the Alabama Senate representing the 1st District
- Edward A. O'Neal, Confederate General and Alabama Governor, 1882 to 1886
- Emmet O'Neal, Alabama Governor, 1911 to 1915
- Lawrence Sullivan Ross, Confederate General, Governor of Texas, president of Texas A&M University
- Annette Taddeo, Democratic Party activist; 2008 Democratic nominee for Florida's 18th Congressional District.
- James E. Moore, Major General, Alabama Army National Guard
- Tyrone Bell, former Green Bay Packers defensive back
- Bobby Collins, former NFL player
- Tony Dorsey, pro basketball player with the Newcastle Eagles
- Will Hall, Former Head Coach University of West Alabama and University of West Georgia, currently Offensive Coordinator at University of Louisiana at Lafayette
- Corey Harris, NFL player
- Harlon Hill, former NFL player, namesake of the NCAA Division II Harlon Hill Trophy
- Janoris Jenkins, cornerback, New York Giants
- Marcus Keyes, football player
- Ronald McKinnon, NFL player, Harlon Hill trophy winner and recent inductee into the College Football Hall of Fame
- Evan Oglesby, cornerback, Dallas Cowboys
- Preston Parker, wide receiver, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Israel Raybon, football player
- Wimp Sanderson, former University of Alabama head basketball coach
- Brian Satterfield, former Green Bay Packers running back
- Robert Steele, former NFL wide receiver
- Josh “The Hammer” Willingham, former MLB outfielder
- Smith, William E., "Leo's Tale: University of North Alabama Trivia, Florence, AL, Shoals Heritage Publishers, 2000.
- Allison, John (1905). Notable Men of Tennessee: Personal and Genealogical, with portraits. Atlanta, Georgia: Southern historical Association. pp. 104–106. OCLC 2561350 – via Internet Archive.
- Benner, Judith Ann (1983), Sul Ross, Soldier, Statesman, Educator, College Station, Texas: Texas A&M University Press, p. 37