List of Washington Nationals Opening Day starting pitchers
The Washington Nationals are a Major League Baseball (MLB) franchise based in Washington, D.C.. They play in the National League East division. The team was known as the Montreal Expos from 1969 to 2004. The first game of the new baseball season for a team is played on Opening Day, and being named the Opening Day starter is an honor, which is often given to the player who is expected to lead the pitching staff that season, though there are various strategic reasons why a team's best pitcher might not start on Opening Day. The Nationals have used five different Opening Day starting pitchers in their nine seasons. The five starters have a combined Opening Day record of 1 win, 6 losses and 3 no decisions. No decisions are awarded to the starting pitcher if the game is won or lost after the starting pitcher has left the game, or if the starting pitcher does not pitch at least five innings with the lead. The overall Opening Day record of the team is 4–6.
Liván Hernández and Stephen Strasburg share the team record for most Opening Day starts with three. Hernández has a record of 0–3. He also pitched one Opening Day start for the Montreal Expos, in which he received a no-decision. Hernández is the only pitcher to make an Opening Day start for both the Expos and the Nationals. Strasburg has a record of 1–0 with two no decisions.
As the Washington Nationals, the team played their home games at Robert F. Kennedy Stadium from 2005 to 2007; their only home opener there was a 9–2 loss in 2007 by starter John Patterson. Nationals Park is the team's current field, and it was the site of the team's 2008 season opener, with starting pitcher Odalis Pérez on the mound in a game that the Nationals won 3–2 over the visiting Atlanta Braves.
|Season||Each year is linked to an article about that particular Nationals season.|
|ND (W)||No decision for starter; Nationals won game|
|ND (L)||No decision for starter; Nationals lost game|
|Game score with Nationals runs listed first|
|Location||Stadium in bold for home game|
|Pitcher (#)||Number of appearances as Opening Day starter with the Nationals|
- Bastian, Jordan (March 22, 2010). "Marcum tapped for Jays' Opening Day". MLB.com. Retrieved September 26, 2010.
- Dilbeck, Steve (February 24, 2014). "Dodgers may not start Clayton Kershaw in Sydney". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved February 25, 2014.
- Washington Nationals Opening Day Starters and Results, Baseball-Reference. Accessed October 7, 2008.
- "Florida 12, Washington 6". Yahoo!. Retrieved April 6, 2009.
- "MLB Gameday: Philadelphia Phillies 11, Washington Nationals 1". Major League Baseball. April 5, 2010. Retrieved April 5, 2010.
- Antonen, Mel. "Nationals open new field with 3-2 win", USA Today, March 31, 2008. Accessed October 8, 2008.
- Apr 4, 2005, Nationals at Phillies Play by Play and Box Score, Baseball-Reference. Accessed October 7, 2008.
- Apr 3, 2006, Nationals at Mets Box Score and Play by Play, Baseball-Reference. Accessed October 7, 2008.
- Apr 2, 2007, Marlins at Nationals Play by Play and Box Score, Baseball-Reference. Accessed October 7, 2008.
- Ladson, Bill. "Patterson struggles as Nationals fall", MLB.com, April 2, 2007. Accessed October 8, 2008.
- Mar 30, 2008, Braves at Nationals Box Score and Play by Play, Baseball-Reference. Accessed October 7, 2008.
- "Thursday, March 31, 2011 1:05 pm, Nationals Park".
- "April 5, 2012 Washington Nationals at Chicago Cubs Play by Play and Box Score - Baseball-Reference.com". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved 11 September 2012.
- "April 1, 2013 Miami Marlins at Washington Nationals Play by Play and Box Score - Baseball-Reference.com". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved 17 April 2013.
- "Washington 9, NY Mets 7". Yahoo!. Retrieved 1 April 2014.
- "NY Mets 3, Washington 1". MLB.com. Retrieved 6 April 2015.