List of Watford F.C. players
Watford Football Club is an English association football club based in Watford, Hertfordshire. Formed as Watford Rovers in 1881, and renamed West Hertfordshire in 1893, the team joined the Southern League in 1896. West Hertfordshire merged with local rivals Watford St. Mary's for the start of the 1898–99 season, adopting the club's present name. Between 1898 and 1920, Watford competed in the Southern League, winning the championship in 1914–15. The Southern League was suspended for the next four seasons due to the First World War. On the league's resumption in 1919–20, Watford finished as runners up on goal average. At the start of 1920–21, Watford joined the Football League Third Division, and transferred to the Third Division South when the league was reorganised the following season. They have played in the Football League ever since, with the exception of 1939–1946, when competitive football was suspended due to the Second World War, and the 1999–2000 and 2006–07 seasons, when they competed in the Premier League. In addition to the latter two seasons, the club also competed in the top division of English football between 1982 and 1988, achieving their highest league placing of second in the 1982–83 season.
Many of Watford's individual records are held by former centre forward Luther Blissett. He has made more Watford appearances (503, including substitute appearances) and scored more goals for the club (186) than anyone else. His corresponding totals in the Football League (415 appearances and 148 goals) are also Watford records. Cliff Holton has scored the most goals for Watford in a single season; 48 in all competitions in the 1959–60 season, including 42 in the Football League. Eddie Mummery's five-goal haul against Newport County on 5 January 1924 is the club record for goals scored by a player in a Football League match. Watford's most-used goalkeeper is Skilly Williams, who played for the club 341 times between 1913 and 1926. John Barnes and Kenny Jackett share the record for the most international caps won while playing for Watford. Barnes made his first 31 England appearances before transferring from Watford to Liverpool in 1987. Jackett, a one-club man, made the same number of appearances for Wales. Seven people have played competitively for the club while managing them: John Goodall, Harry Kent, Fred Pagnam, Neil McBain, Bill Findlay, Ken Furphy, and most recently Mike Keen between 1973 and 1975.
This list contains players who have made 50 or more competitive appearances for Watford, since the merger of West Hertfordshire and Watford St Mary's. Non professional players (or any player who has not signed a first team contract) such as Ayman Kiani or any other academy player(s) are not on the list.[a] It includes appearances and goals in the Premier League, Football League, Southern Football League, FA Cup, Football League Cup, Football League Trophy, Full Members Cup, UEFA Cup and Anglo-Italian Cup. Appearances and goals in other competitions or non-competitive matches are not included. The table does not include appearances and goals from 1939–40; the season was abandoned after three matches due to the Second World War, and playing records from those matches were annulled.
|Player still at the club|
|Won the Player of the Season award. Multiple symbols denote multiple wins.|
|[PM]||Spent time as player-manager|
|*||Player holds club record(s)|
|Apps||Number of appearances for Watford|
Current players' statistics correct at end of 2013–14 season.
|Name||Position||Years at Watford[c]||Apps||Goals||International honours[d]||Notes/refs|
|Abdi, AlmenAlmen Abdi||MF||2012-||92||23||Switzerland||—|
|Adams, ChrisChris Adams||OF||1954–1956||82||6||None||—|
|Allen, MalcolmMalcolm Allen||CF||1985–1988||58||13||Wales||—|
|Almunia, ManuelManuel Almunia||GK||2012–2014||81||0||None||—|
|Anderson, TommyTommy Anderson||IF / OF||1957–1958, 1965||75||16||Scotland schoolboys|||
|Angella, GabrieleGabriele Angella||DF||2013-||81||10||Italy under-21||—|
|Anya, IkechiIkechi Anya||MF||2012-||103||9||Scotland||—|
|Ardley, NealNeal Ardley||MF||2002–2005||128||7||England under-21|||
|Armstrong, GerryGerry Armstrong||CF||1980–1983||97||19||Northern Ireland||—|
|Armstrong, JimmyJimmy Armstrong||HB||1933–1939||201||2||None||[e]|
|Ashby, BarryBarry Ashby||DF||1989–1994||127||3||None||—|
|Aston, CharlieCharlie Aston||FB||1905–1908||110||1||None||—|
|Badenoch, GeorgeGeorge Badenoch||HB / OF||1903–1906||89||10||None||—|
|Badger, BertBert Badger||HB||1906–1908||56||5||None||—|
|Bangura, AlAl Bangura||MF||2005–2009||78||1||Sierra Leone|||
|Bardsley, DavidDavid Bardsley||DF||1983–1987||121||9||England||—|
|Barnes, JackJack Barnes||OF||1931–1933||83||11||None||—|
|Barnes, JohnJohn Barnes*||MF||1981–1987||296||85||England||[f]|
|Barnett, TommyTommy Barnett||IF||1928–1939||431||160||None||[e]|
|Barnshaw, BobBob Barnshaw||HB||1914–1921||61||4||None||—|
|Bassett, TedTed Bassett||OF||1919–1921||73||9||None||—|
|Bateman, ColinColin Bateman||FB||1954–1957||56||0||None||—|
|Battocchio, CristianCristian Battocchio||MF||2012-||66||7||Italy under-21||—|
|Bazeley, DarrenDarren Bazeley||DF / MF||1990–1999||281||27||England under-21||—|
|Bell, BobbyBobby Bell||FB||1957–1964||300||2||None||—|
|Bennett, TedTed Bennett||GK||1953–1956||86||0|| Great Britain
|Benning, MickyMicky Benning||OF||1959–1962||122||15||None||—|
|Betts, ArthurArthur Betts||FB||1907–1910||100||0||None||—|
|Bewley, DaveDave Bewley||FB||1953–1956||120||1||None||—|
|Biggar, BillyBilly Biggar||GK||1904–1910||234||1||None||—|
|Blissett, LutherLuther Blissett*||CF||1976–1983, 1984–1988, 1991–1993||503||186||England||[h]|
|Bolton, IanIan Bolton||DF / MF||1977–1983||287||36||None|
|Bond, DennisDennis Bond||HB / MF||1964–1966, 1972–1977||301||42||England youth|||
|Booth, DennisDennis Booth||MF||1977–1980||117||2||None||—|
|Bouazza, HameurHameur Bouazza||FW||2004–2007||100||13||Algeria|||
|Bowie, JimmyJimmy Bowie||IF||1952–1955||130||40||None||—|
|Brooks, JoeJoe Brooks||FB||1903–1907||114||0||None||—|
|Brown, RolandRoland Brown||OF||1901–1904||61||5||None||—|
|Brown, RoyRoy Brown||HB / CF||1953–1957||147||41||None||—|
|Brown, TommyTommy Brown||IF / HB||1949–1953||113||12||None||—|
|Brown, WilliamWilliam Brown||FB||1928–1935||241||0||None||—|
|Bulling, ChrisChris Bulling||HB||1911–1914||68||5||None||—|
|Bulling, HaroldHarold Bulling||FB||1911–1915||103||1||None||[i]|
|Bunce, FreddieFreddie Bunce||OF||1955–1962||173||40||England youth||—|
|Butler, DaveDave Butler||DF||1970–1975||186||3||None||—|
|Butler, SteveSteve Butler||CF||1991–1992||73||9||England C||—|
|Callaghan, NigelNigel Callaghan||MF||1980–1987, 1991||298||52||England B|||
|Carter, WilfWilf Carter||HB||1920–1925||131||4||None||—|
|Cassetti, MarcoMarco Cassetti||DF||2012-2014||81||1||Italy||—|
|Catleugh, GeorgeGeorge Catleugh||HB||1954–1964||318||16||None||—|
|Chamberlain, AlecAlec Chamberlain||GK||1996–2007||288||0||None|
|Chambers, JamesJames Chambers||DF||2004–2007||106||2||England youth|||
|Chapman, BillyBilly Chapman||OF||1928–1934||232||10||None||—|
|Charlery, KenKen Charlery||CF||1992–1993||53||13|| Saint Lucia
|Chung, SammySammy Chung||HB / CF||1957–1965||243||24||None||—|
|Coffill, PeterPeter Coffill||MF||1975–1977||69||7||None||—|
|Collins, TonyTony Collins||OF||1950–1953, 1957||112||10||None|||
|Cook, BobbyBobby Cook||OF||1951–1952||56||9||None||—|
|Cook, LeeLee Cook||MF||2001–2004||64||7||None||—|
|Cook, MauriceMaurice Cook||CF||1953–1958||218||77||None||—|
|Cother, JackJack Cother||FB||1898–1905||123||0||None||—|
|Coton, TonyTony Coton||GK||1984–1990||291||0||England B|
|Cowie, DonDon Cowie||MF||2009–2011||94||9||Scotland|||
|Cox, NeilNeil Cox||DF||1999–2005||248||21||England under-21|||
|Craker, LaurieLaurie Craker||MF / DF||1973–1976||72||4||None||—|
|Crisp, RonRon Crisp||HB / IF||1961–1965||101||17||None||—|
|Cumner, HoraceHorace Cumner||OF||1948–1950||66||7||Wales||—|
|Daniels, ArthurArthur Daniels||OF||1926–1930||146||17||None||—|
|Davies, TaffyTaffy Davies||OF / IF||1931–1950||312||72||Wales wartime||[e][j]|
|Davies, TomTom Davies||HB||1933–1937||61||3||None||—|
|Davison, JoeJoe Davison||FB||1927–1931||147||2||None||—|
|Deeney, TroyTroy Deeney||FW||2010–||220||81||None||—|
|DeMerit, JayJay DeMerit||DF||2004–2010||213||10||USA|||
|Devan, BillBill Devan||IF||1933–1937||95||34||None||—|
|Devlin, PaulPaul Devlin||MF||2003–2006||88||6||Scotland|||
|Dixon, TommyTommy Dixon||CF||1911–1913||80||26||None||—|
|Downes, BobbyBobby Downes||MF||1974–1979||230||22||None||—|
|Doyley, LloydLloyd Doyley||DF||2001–||443||2||Jamaica|||
|Drysdale, JasonJason Drysdale||DF / MF||1989–1994||160||11||England youth||—|
|Dublin, KeithKeith Dublin||DF||1990–1994||190||2||England youth||—|
|Dunderdale, LenLen Dunderdale||CF||1938–1939, 1946–1948||81||36||None||[e]|
|Dyche, SeanSean Dyche||DF||2002–2005||78||0||None||—|
|Dyer, BruceBruce Dyer||CF||1993–1994, 2003–2005||116||23||England under-21|||
|Eames, WallyWally Eames||FW||1901–1907||66||17||None||—|
|Easton, ClintClint Easton||MF||1996–2001||79||2||England under-20|||
|Eddy, KeithKeith Eddy||DF / MF||1966–1972||274||31||None||—|
|Edmonds, GeorgeGeorge Edmonds||CF||1913–1920, 1926–1927||112||60||None||[i]|
|Eggleston, TommyTommy Eggleston||HB / FB||1948–1952||186||9||None||—|
|Eggleton, JimmyJimmy Eggleton||HB||1923–1926||52||2||None||—|
|Ellington, NathanNathan Ellington||FW||2007–2011||56||5||None||—|
|Ekstrand, JoelJoel Ekstrand||DF||2012-||100||2||Sweden||—|
|Endean, BarryBarry Endean||CF||1968–1971||93||37||None||—|
|Eustace, JohnJohn Eustace||MF||2008–2013||168||16||None||—|
|Evans, RalphRalph Evans||IF||1937–1948||96||32||None||[e]|
|Falconer, WillieWillie Falconer||MF||1988–1991||116||13||Scotland youth||—|
|Farley, JohnJohn Farley||MF||1971–1974||115||9||None||—|
|Farnen, LesLes Farnen||HB||1946–1949||81||0||None||[e]|
|Farrall, AlecAlec Farrall||MF||1966–1967||56||11||England schoolboys||—|
|Fayers, TinyTiny Fayers||HB||1908–1910||69||2||England amateur||—|
|Findlay, BillBill Findlay||HB||1932–1939||137||6||None||[PM]
|Fisher, KenKen Fisher||HB||1947–1951||110||2||None||—|
|Fitzgerald, ScottScott Fitzgerald||FW||2003–2005||59||12||None||—|
|Foster, BenBen Foster||GK||2005–2007||81||0||England||
|Forestieri, FernandoFernando Forestieri||FW||2012-||90||21||Italy under-21||—|
|Foster, ColinColin Foster||DF||1994–1996||78||8||None||—|
|Foster, CyrilCyril Foster||IF||1925–1928||71||24||None||—|
|Foster, JackJack Foster||CF||1905–1907||59||30||None||—|
|Francis, DamienDamien Francis||MF||2006–2008||57||9||Jamaica|||
|Franks, ColinColin Franks||MF||1969–1973||124||9||None||—|
|Fuller, EddieEddie Fuller||HB||1927–1929||59||0||None||—|
|Furlong, PaulPaul Furlong||CF||1992–1994||91||41||England C|
|Furphy, KenKen Furphy||DF||1964–1968||111||1||None||[PM]
|Fyfe, GeorgeGeorge Fyfe||HB / FW||1905–1910||128||7||None||[i]|
|Gallimore, LenLen Gallimore||FB||1937–1946||75||0||None||[e]|
|Garbett, TerryTerry Garbett||FW||1966–1971||231||50||None||—|
|Garner, AlanAlan Garner||DF||1975–1979||232||16||None|
|Garvey, BrianBrian Garvey||MF||1965–1970||201||2||None||—|
|Gayle, MarcusMarcus Gayle||DF/FW||2002–2005||115||9||Jamaica||
|Geidmintis, TonyTony Geidmintis||DF||1976–1978||61||0||None||—|
|Gibbs, NigelNigel Gibbs||DF||1983–2002||491||7||England under-21|
|Glass, StephenStephen Glass||MF||2001–2003||69||5||Scotland|||
|Goodall, JohnJohn Goodall*||IF||1903–1907||69||17||England||[PM]
|Goodeve, KenKen Goodeve||DF||1974–1976||73||5||None||—|
|Graham, DannyDanny Graham||FW||2009–2011||98||41||England under-20||
|Graham, LesLes Graham||IF||1955–1957||94||32||None||—|
|Green, AlbertAlbert Green||IF||1913–1915||50||13||None||[i]|
|Gregory, FredFred Gregory||FB||1911–1926||333||17||None||[i]|
|Gregory, TonyTony Gregory||OF / HB||1960–1963||119||17||England youth||—|
|Gregory, ValVal Gregory||HB||1911–1920||161||16||None||[i]|
|Grieve, JockJock Grieve||HB||1909–1911||68||1||None||—|
|Hale, DixieDixie Hale||MF||1967–1970||113||10||None||—|
|Hand, JamieJamie Hand||MF||2001–2006||61||0||None||—|
|Hare, CharlieCharlie Hare||CF||1898–1900||55||35||None||—|
|Harley, JonJon Harley||DF||2008–2010||83||2||England under-21|||
|Harmer, TommyTommy Harmer||IF||1960–1962||74||7||England B||—|
|Harper, JoeJoe Harper||HB||1946–1952||170||1||None||—|
|Harris, GeorgeGeorge Harris||OF||1962–1966||178||60||None||—|
|Harris, TommyTommy Harris||FB||1936–1948||102||6||None||—|
|Harrison, SteveSteve Harrison||DF||1978–1981||102||0||None||—|
|Harrop, JackJack Harrop||FB||1956–1960||117||0||None||—|
|Hartburn, JohnnyJohnny Hartburn||OF||1949–1951||71||21||None||—|
|Helguson, HeiðarHeiðar Helguson||FW||1999–2005, 2009, 2010||228||75||Iceland||
|Henderson, DariusDarius Henderson||FW||2005–2008||117||31||None||—|
|Henderson, MickMick Henderson||DF||1979–1982||67||0||None||—|
|Hessenthaler, AndyAndy Hessenthaler||MF||1991–1996||217||15||England C||—|
|Hewitt, JoeJoe Hewitt||GK||1927–1931||110||0||None||—|
|Hill, JohnnyJohnny Hill||OF||1898–1900||55||19||Scotland junior||[n]|
|Hitch, AlfAlf Hitch||HB||1906–1908||72||2||None||—|
|Hoban, TommieTommie Hoban||DF||2011-||57||2||Republic of Ireland under-21||—|
|Hoddinott, FrankFrank Hoddinott||CF||1919–1921||54||32||Wales||—|
|Hodges, GlynGlyn Hodges||MF||1987–1990||102||19||Wales|
|Hodson, LeeLee Hodson||DF||2009–2013||91||1||Northern Ireland|||
|Hogg, JonathanJonathan Hogg||MF||2011-2013||84||0||None||—|
|Holden, RickRick Holden||MF||1988–1989||54||10||None||—|
|Holdsworth, DavidDavid Holdsworth||DF||1988–1996||303||14||England under-21||—|
|Holland, TomTom Holland||GK||1930–1932||73||0||None||—|
|Holton, CliffCliff Holton*||CF||1958–1961, 1965–1966||163||104||None||[o]|
|Horsfield, ArthurArthur Horsfield||CF||1975–1977||83||16||England youth||—|
|Horsman, FredFred Horsman||FB||1919–1924||138||0||None||—|
|Hoskins, WillWill Hoskins||FW||2007–2010||70||9||England under-20|||
|Houghton, BillyBilly Houghton||HB||1964–1966||51||3||England youth||—|
|How, TrevorTrevor How||DF||1975–1979||101||2||None||—|
|Howfield, BobbyBobby Howfield||CF||1957–1959, 1962–1963||99||24||None|||
|Hubbard, ArchieArchie Hubbard||IF||1908–1909||53||20||None||—|
|Hyde, MicahMicah Hyde||MF||1997–2004||286||44||Jamaica|||
|Jackett, KennyKenny Jackett*||DF / MF||1980–1990||428||34||Wales||[f]|
|James, DavidDavid James||GK||1990–1992||98||0||England||
|James, GeorgeGeorge James||CF||1930–1933||94||76||None||—|
|Jenkins, RossRoss Jenkins||MF||2008–2014||95||2||England under-20|||
|Jenkins, RossRoss Jenkins||CF||1972–1983||398||142||None|
|Jennings, BillyBilly Jennings||CF||1970–1974||100||37||England youth|
|Jennings, PatPat Jennings||GK||1963–1964||52||0||Northern Ireland||—|
|Johnson, JoeJoe Johnson||FB||1920–1924||102||1||None||—|
|Johnson, RichardRichard Johnson||MF||1991–2003||277||22||Australia|||
|Jones, BrynBryn Jones||FB / DF||1963–1966||99||1||None||—|
|Jones, JimmyJimmy Jones||FB||1947–1954||167||0||Wales amateur||—|
|Jones, TommyTommy Jones||OF||1935–1946||131||26||Wales||[e]|
|Joslyn, RogerRoger Joslyn||MF||1974–1979||214||21||None||—|
|Keen, MikeMike Keen||DF||1972–1975||136||6||None||[PM]
|Kelly, FrankFrank Kelly||OF||1905–1909||50||8||None||—|
|Kelly, JimmyJimmy Kelly||HB||1950–1954||123||4||None||—|
|Kennedy, JimJim Kennedy||HB||1913–1915||52||3||None||—|
|Kennedy, PeterPeter Kennedy||MF||1997–2001||134||22||Northern Ireland|||
|Kent, HarryHarry Kent||HB||1909–1913||69||9||None||[PM]
|King, MarlonMarlon King||FW||2005–2008||87||37||Jamaica||
|Laing, BobbyBobby Laing||OF||1950–1952||60||8||None||—|
|Lane, BillyBilly Lane||IF||1932–1936||127||68||None||[e]|
|Larkin, BunnyBunny Larkin||HB||1962–1964||57||3||None||—|
|Lavin, GerardGerard Lavin||DF||1992–1995||147||3||Scotland under-21||—|
|Law, BillyBilly Law||OF||1906–1908||66||7||None||—|
|Lee, RichardRichard Lee||GK||2001–2010||110||0||None||—|
|Lees, WalterWalter Lees||DF||1968–1976||253||11||Scotland junior||—|
|Lewis, BernieBernie Lewis||MF||1967–1970||57||9||Wales under-23||—|
|Lewis, JimJim Lewis||FB||1931–1939||116||0||None||[e]|
|Lindsay, BillyBilly Lindsay||FB||1903–1906||68||0||None||—|
|Lindsay, JimmyJimmy Lindsay||MF||1971–1973||73||13||None||—|
|Linton, JimmyJimmy Linton||GK||1959–1963||87||0||None||—|
|Livesey, CharlieCharlie Livesey||CF||1962–1965||71||28||None||—|
|Loach, ScottScott Loach||GK||2008–2012||163||0||England under-21|||
|Lockett, ArthurArthur Lockett||FB||1908–1912||154||1||England||—|
|Lohman, JanJan Lohman||MF||1981–1986||81||10||Netherlands under-21||—|
|Lowe, HarryHarry Lowe||IF||1929–1935||130||47||None||[e]|
|Lugg, RayRay Lugg||MF||1969–1972||67||6||None||—|
|John McClelland||DF||1984–1989, 1990||234||3||Northern Ireland||
|Mackay, MalkyMalky Mackay||DF||2005–2008||61||5||Scotland|||
|MacLaine, JimmyJimmy MacLaine||IF||1908–1911||107||35||None||—|
|Jim McLaren||GK||1933–1939||208||0||Scotland schoolboys||—|
|Joe McLaughlin||DF||1990–1992||53||2||Scotland under-21||—|
|Frank McPherson||CF||1928–1930, 1933–1936||102||75||None|||
|Mahon, GavinGavin Mahon||MF||2002–2008||215||7||None|
|Main, SandySandy Main||HB||1904–1911||75||1||None||—|
|Mancini, TerryTerry Mancini||HB||1961–1965||76||0||Republic of Ireland||—|
|Mariappa, AdrianAdrian Mariappa||DF||2005–2012||247||4||Jamaica||
|Mayes, AlanAlan Mayes||CF||1974–1979||157||36||None||—|
|Meadows, JohnnyJohnny Meadows||HB / IF||1951–1960||236||46||None||—|
|Mercer, KeithKeith Mercer*||CF||1973–1979||154||53||None||
|Millen, KeithKeith Millen||DF||1994–1999||191||6||None||—|
|Miller, KevinKevin Miller||GK||1994–1997||151||0||None|
|Mitchell, FrankFrank Mitchell||HB||1952–1957||205||0||None||—|
|Mitchell, TommyTommy Mitchell||OF||1912–1914||63||9||None||—|
|Mooney, TommyTommy Mooney||DF / FW||1994–2001||287||64||None|
|Moralee, JamieJamie Moralee||CF||1994–1996||61||7||None||—|
|Moran, JackJack Moran||FB||1932–1935||106||0||None||—|
|Morgan, LewLew Morgan||RB||1946–1947||54||0||Scotland schoolboys||—|
|Morgan, TomTom Morgan||HB||1935–1938||113||6||None||—|
|Morris, HarryHarry Morris||HB||1925–1928||50||4||None||—|
|Morris, MarkMark Morris||DF||1987–1989||53||2||None||—|
|Morrissey, PatPat Morrissey||CF||1971–1974||117||29||Republic of Ireland under-23||—|
|Morton, GeoffGeoff Morton||GK||1948–1951||113||0||None||—|
|Mummery, EddieEddie Mummery*||IF / HB||1921–1925||126||23||None||[t]|
|Murray, SeanSean Murray||MF||2010-||84||14||Republic of Ireland under-21||—|
|Ngonge, MichelMichel Ngonge||FW||1998–2000||57||11||Democratic Republic of the Congo|||
|Nicholas, KenKen Nicholas||FB||1959–1964||219||6||England youth||—|
|Nidd, FredFred Nidd||FB / GK||1900–1902||60||0||None||[i]|
|Nielsen, AllanAllan Nielsen||MF||2000–2003||113||19||Denmark|||
|Noel-Williams, GiftonGifton Noel-Williams||FW||1996–2003||193||41||England under-18|||
|Nogan, LeeLee Nogan||CF||1991–1994||117||30||Wales||—|
|Nolan, PhilPhil Nolan||IF||1947–1954||95||8||None||—|
|Nosworthy, NyronNyron Nosworthy||DF||2011-2014||61||2||Jamaica|||
|O'Brien, MickMick O'Brien||HB||1931–1933||71||6|| Ireland
|O'Brien, VicVic O'Brien||FB||1934–1946||202||10||None||[e]|
|O'Toole, John-JoeJohn-Joe O'Toole||MF||2007–2009||66||12||Republic of Ireland under-21|||
|Oliver, HarryHarry Oliver||FB / HB||1948–1952||128||4||England schoolboys||—|
|Oliver, KenKen Oliver||CF||1963–1964||63||28||None||—|
|Owen, BrianBrian Owen||MF||1963–1970||170||20||None||—|
|Packer, MikeMike Packer||DF||1968–1973||77||2||None||—|
|Page, RobRob Page||DF / DF||1993–2001||252||3||Wales||
|Pagnam, FredFred Pagnam||CF||1921–1927||157||74||None||[PM]
|Palmer, SteveSteve Palmer||MF[v]||1995–2001||272||9||None|
|Paton, JohnnyJohnny Paton||OF||1952–1955||91||17||Scotland schoolboys||—|
|Paton, TommyTommy Paton||HB||1948–1952||149||1||None||—|
|Penrice, GaryGary Penrice||CF||1989–1991, 1995–1997||93||22||None|||
|Phillips, KevinKevin Phillips||CF||1994–1997||65||25||England|||
|Pollard, BrianBrian Pollard||MF||1977–1979||85||8||England youth||—|
|Porter, AndyAndy Porter||HB||1960–1963||80||4||None||—|
|Porter, GaryGary Porter||MF / DF||1984–1997||472||57||England under-21|
|Poskett, MalcolmMalcolm Poskett||CF||1980–1982||80||31||None||—|
|Prior, GeorgeGeorge Prior||FB||1924–1930||189||3||None||—|
|Priskin, TamásTamás Priskin||FW||2006–2009||82||19||Hungary|||
|Pritchett, KeithKeith Pritchett||DF||1976–1982||171||9||None||—|
|Pudil, DanielDaniel Pudil||DF||2012-||108||3||Czech Republic||—|
|Putney, TrevorTrevor Putney||MF||1991–1993||65||2||None||—|
|Ramage, CraigCraig Ramage||MF||1994–1997||120||29||England under-21||—|
|Rankin, AndyAndy Rankin||GK||1971–1979||329||0||England under-23|
|Reed, AlfAlf Reed||HB||1935–1939||133||5||None||[e]|
|Reilly, GeorgeGeorge Reilly||CF||1983–1985||61||19||None||—|
|Rice, PatPat Rice||DF||1980–1984||137||1||Northern Ireland||—|
|Richardson, JackJack Richardson||HB||1898–1909||179||5||None||[n]|
|Richardson, KevinKevin Richardson||MF||1986–1987||50||2||England||—|
|Rigg, TommyTommy Rigg||GK||1946–1948||85||0||None||—|
|Roberts, IwanIwan Roberts||CF||1986–1990||83||12||Wales||—|
|Robinson, PaulPaul Robinson||DF||1996–2003||252||9||England under-21|||
|Roeder, GlennGlenn Roeder||DF||1989–1991||86||3||England B||—|
|Ronald, PeterPeter Ronald||IF||1914–1921||102||29||None||—|
|Rostron, WilfWilf Rostron||DF||1979–1989||404||30||England schoolboys|
|Saphin, RegReg Saphin||GK||1951–1954||59||0||None||—|
|Scullion, StewartStewart Scullion||MF||1966–1971, 1973–1976||348||55||None|||
|Sharp, AlbieAlbie Sharp||FB / HB||1898–1901||69||3||None||—|
|Sheppard, BillBill Sheppard||IF||1927–1929||95||39||None||—|
|Sherwood, SteveSteve Sherwood||GK||1977–1987||269||1||None||—|
|Sherwood, TimTim Sherwood||MF||1987–1989||51||2||England|||
|Shipwright, BillBill Shipwright||FB / HB||1954–1959||153||0||None||—|
|Shittu, DannyDanny Shittu||DF||2006–2008||75||11||Nigeria|||
|Sims, SteveSteve Sims||DF||1978–1984, 1986–1987||219||8||England B||
|Sinnott, LeeLee Sinnott||DF||1983–1987||95||2||England under-21||—|
|Slade, RegReg Slade||FB||1921–1929||124||0||None||—|
|Slater, BertBert Slater||GK||1965–1969||152||0||None||—|
|Smart, AllanAllan Smart||FW||1998–2001||64||13||None||—|
|Smith, BertBert Smith||HB||1925–1927||55||1||Ireland||—|
|Smith, FrankFrank Smith||IF / HB||1921–1931||341||31||None||—|
|Smith, TommyTommy Smith||FW||1997–2003, 2006–2009||306||64||England under-21||
|Soloman, JasonJason Soloman||DF||1989–1995||116||6||England youth||—|
|Sordell, MarvinMarvin Sordell||FW||2009–2012||81||27|| England under-21
|Spring, MatthewMatthew Spring||MF||2005–2007||53||9||None||—|
|Squires, ArthurArthur Squires||IF||1909–1913||116||25||None||[i]|
|Steele, EricEric Steele||GK||1979–1984||65||0||England youth||—|
|Stephenson, JimmyJimmy Stephenson||OF||1922–1927||209||20||None||—|
|Sterling, WorrellWorrell Sterling||MF||1983–1988||122||17||None||—|
|Stewart, AlexAlex Stewart||FB||1910–1915||160||4||None||[i]|
|Stewart, JordanJordan Stewart||MF||2005–2008||117||2||England under-21|||
|Stirk, JohnJohn Stirk||DF||1978–1979||60||0||England youth||—|
|Strain, JockJock Strain||HB||1921–1927||193||6||None||—|
|Swann, JackJack Swann||CF||1925–1927||59||31||None||—|
|Talbot, BrianBrian Talbot||MF||1985–1986||59||8||England||—|
|Tattersall, WallyWally Tattersall||OF||1910–1912||72||8||None||—|
|Taylor, LesLes Taylor||MF||1980–1985||211||20||None|
|Taylor, MartinMartin Taylor||DF||2010–2012||95||10||England under-21|||
|Tennant, JimmyJimmy Tennant||OF||1902–1905||92||21||Scotland junior||—|
|Terry, SteveSteve Terry||DF||1980–1988||208||20||None||—|
|Thomas, DaveDave Thomas||CF||1948–1950||111||43||None||—|
|Thomas, RodRod Thomas||FW||1988–1992||95||9||England under-21||—|
|Thompson, CyrilCyril Thompson||CF||1951–1953||83||41||None||—|
|Tőzsér, DánielDániel Tőzsér||MF||2014-||66||5||Hungary||—|
|Train, RayRay Train||MF||1978–1982||112||4||None||—|
|Turner, PeterPeter Turner||IF||1904–1907||108||22||Scotland junior||—|
|Underwood, DaveDave Underwood||GK||1952–1953, 1956–1957, 1960–1963||192||0||None|||
|Uphill, DennisDennis Uphill||CF||1959–1960||58||36||None||—|
|Vernazza, PaoloPaolo Vernazza||MF||2000–2004||108||3||England under-21|||
|Vydra, MatějMatěj Vydra||FW||2012-13, 2014-||92||38||Czech Republic||—|
|Walker, MickyMicky Walker||GK||1968–1973||159||0||Wales under-23||—|
|Walker, PeterPeter Walker||CF||1954–1962||183||42||None||—|
|Walley, TomTom Walley||HB||1967–1971, 1976–1977||248||18||Wales|||
|Wallington, ErnieErnie Wallington||OF / IF||1921–1922||53||5||None||—|
|Walsh, JimmyJimmy Walsh||DF||1974–1977||70||0||None||—|
|Walters, TomTom Walters||CF||1935–1938||59||25||None||[e]|
|Ward, DaiDai Ward||CF||1962–1963||66||32||Wales||—|
|Ward, DarrenDarren Ward||DF||1996–2001, 2008||77||4||None|||
|Warner, JackJack Warner||IF||1926–1930||115||25||None||—|
|Waterall, TommyTommy Waterall||OF||1914–1921||112||20||None||—|
|Webber, DannyDanny Webber||FW||2002, 2003–2005||80||21||England under-20|||
|Webster, JoeJoe Webster||GK||1910–1914||148||0||None|||
|Welbourne, DuncanDuncan Welbourne*||HB / DF||1963–1974||457||25||None||[x]|
|West, ColinColin West||CF||1985–1986||56||23||None||—|
|White, CharlieCharlie White||IF||1909–1925||372||86||None||[i]|
|Wigg, RonRon Wigg||CF||1970–1973||110||27||None||—|
|Wilkinson, FredFred Wilkinson||HB||1919–1921||74||1||None||—|
|Wilkinson, JohnJohn Wilkinson||OF||1921–1923||65||7||None||—|
|Wilkinson, PaulPaul Wilkinson||CF||1988–1991, 1995||159||55||England under-21|||
|Williams, JohnnyJohnny Williams||DF||1964–1975||419||2||None||—|
|Williams, SkillySkilly Williams*||GK||1913–1926||341||0||None||[i][y]|
|Williamson, LeeLee Williamson||MF||2007–2009||78||5||None||—|
|Wilson, TugTug Wilson||CF / HB||1951–1957||51||12||None||—|
|Wood, MickyMicky Wood||HB / IF||1898–1901||61||2||None||[n]|
|Woodroffe, LewLew Woodroffe||IF / OF||1947–1951||64||6||None||—|
|Woodward, ArthurArthur Woodward||HB / GK||1926–1939||420||18||None||[e]|
|Woolliscroft, ArthurArthur Woolliscroft||IF||1930–1933||67||16||None||—|
|Wooter, NordinNordin Wooter||FW||1999–2002||70||3||Netherlands under-21|||
|Yeates, MarkMark Yeates||MF||2011-2013||66||7||Republic of Ireland B|||
|Young, AshleyAshley Young||MF||2003–2007||110||22||England|||
- Appearances made before the start of the 1898–99 season are not included, because West Hertfordshire and Watford St Mary's competed in the FA Cup as separate entities.
- For more information, see Formation (association football).
- Years given denote the span between a player's first and last peacetime appearance—they do not take into account appearances for Watford while peacetime competitions were suspended due to the First and Second World Wars. Where a player spent multiple periods at the club, these periods are denoted as multiple ranges of years.
- Where a player did not compete internationally, no country is denoted. Only the highest level of international competition is given, except where a player competed for more than one country, in which case the highest level for each country is shown. Between 1926 and 1950, two competing teams claimed to represent the island of Ireland.
denotes players who played for the Irish Football Association team.
denotes players who played for the Football Association of Ireland team.
For more information, see Ireland national football team (1882–1950) and Republic of Ireland national football team.
- Also played for Watford during the Second World War.
- Barnes and Jackett share the record for the most senior international caps won by a player while at Watford. Barnes made 31 appearances for England while at Watford; Jackett made 31 appearances for Wales during his one-club career.
- Bennett played for Great Britain at the 1952 Summer Olympics.
- Blissett holds the record for the most total appearances and goals for Watford. He also holds the club's records for the most Football League games and goals (415 games, 148 goals).
- Also played for Watford during the First World War.
- Davies played for the senior Wales team in a wartime international match. Matches played during the Second World War were not subsequently recognised as full internationals, and are regarded as "unofficial".
- Findlay was player-manager between 1937 and 1944, and continued managing until 1947.
- Furphy was player-manager for the entirety of his Watford playing career, and continued as manager until 1971.
- Goodall was player-manager for the entirety of his Watford playing career. He continued managing the club until 1910. He is the oldest player ever to play for the club; on his last appearance he was 44 years 87 days old.
- Player made additional appearances for West Hertfordshire prior to the start of the 1898–99 season.
- Holton holds the Watford record for the most goals in a season; 48 in 1959–60. His 42 goals in the Football League that season is also a club record.
- Keen was player-manager between 1973 and 1975, and continued as manager until 1977.
- Kent was player-manager between 1910 and 1913, and continued to manage the club until 1926.
- McBain player-managed the club between 1929 and 1931. He continued managing until 1937, and returned for a second spell as manager between 1956 and 1959.
- Mercer was the youngest player to play for Watford in a competitive match, aged 16 years 125 days.
- Mummery holds the record for the most goals by a Watford player in a Football League match. He scored five times against Newport County on 5 January 1924.
- Pagnam was player-manager between 1926 and 1927, and continued managing until 1929.
- Although primarily a midfielder, Palmer played in every position for the club during the 1997–98 season.
- Sordell played for Great Britain at the 2012 Summer Olympics.
- Welbourne holds the Watford record for the most consecutive league games (280).
- Williams has played more games in goal for Watford than anyone else.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Players of Watford FC.|
- Jones, Trefor (1996). The Watford Football Club Illustrated Who's Who. T.G. Jones. ISBN 0-9527458-0-1.
- Jones, Trefor (1998). Watford Season by Season. T.G. Jones. ISBN 0-9527458-1-X.
- Phillips, Oliver (1991). The Official Centenary History of Watford FC 1881–1991. Watford Football Club. ISBN 0-9509601-6-0.
- Positions, playing statistics and career spans from 1898–99 to 1997–98 sourced to: Jones, Watford Season by Season. pp. 225–241. Players with multiple spells at the club are cited individually.
- Positions, playing statistics and career spans from 1998–99 onwards sourced to: "Watford player appearances". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 26 April 2016. Career spans for players with multiple spells at the club are cited individually.
- International representation up to and including May 1996 sourced to: Jones, The Watford Football Club Illustrated Who's Who. pp. 279–284. Players who made their international debut after May 1996 are cited individually.
- Players of the Season up to 2010–11 sourced to: "Former Watford Players of the Season". Watford Football Club. Archived from the original on 18 July 2011. Retrieved 16 May 2012. Subsequent winners are cited individually.
- Jones, The Watford Football Club Illustrated Who's Who. p. 238.
- Jones, The Watford Football Club Illustrated Who's Who. p. 9.
- Phillips, The Official Centenary History of Watford FC 1881–1991. p. 52.
- "History: Chronology". Watford Football Club. 13 April 2011. Archived from the original on 5 October 2009. Retrieved 16 April 2011.
- "Watford FC club records". Watford Football Club. Archived from the original on 5 October 2011. Retrieved 25 June 2010.
- Jones, The Watford Football Clubs Illustrated Who's Who. p. 123.
- "Watford's great goalkeepers". Watford Football Club. Retrieved 25 June 2010.
- Turbervill, Huw (5 November 2008). "John Barnes and Luther Blissett linked with Watford return". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 9 May 2011.
- "Coca-Cola League 1 Play-Off Final". Bradford City Football Club. 24 May 2009. Retrieved 16 April 2011.
- Jones, The Watford Football Club Illustrated Who's Who. pp. 267–274.
- Phillips, The Official Centenary History of Watford FC 1881–1991. p. 18.
- Jones, Watford Season by Season. p. 209.
- Jones, Watford Season by Season pp. 116–125.
- "Newcastle move for Watford hot shot Graham in their hunt for strike power". Mail Online. 11 May 2011. Retrieved 15 May 2011.
- Smith, Frank (30 October 2009). "Watford skipper Adrian Mariappa backs Lloyd Doyley to break Hornets duck with Vicarage Road screamer". Watford Observer. Retrieved 10 March 2011.
- "Academy graduates". Watford Football Club. 6 January 2009. Archived from the original on 22 January 2009. Retrieved 9 May 2011.
- Jones, Watford Season by Season. p. 61.
- Affleck, Kevin (26 January 2007). "Young windfall 'will not develop any stand'". Watford Observer. Retrieved 12 August 2012.
- Byrne, Peter (1996). Football Association of Ireland: 75 years. Dublin: Sportsworld. p. 59. ISBN 1-900110-06-7.
- Ryan, Sean (1997). The Boys in Green: the FAI international story. Edinburgh: Mainstream Publishing. p. 31. ISBN 1-85158-939-2.
- Jones, The Watford Football Club Illustrated Who's Who. p. 24.
- Warren, Dan (9 January 2003). "Why England will win Euro 2008". BBC Sport. Retrieved 5 March 2010.
- Jones, The Watford Football Club Illustrated Who's Who. pp. 256–262.
- "Alhassan Bangura". FIFA. Retrieved 1 March 2010.
- Jones, The Watford Football Club Illustrated Who's Who. p. 39.
- Jones, The Watford Football Club Illustrated Who's Who. p. 41.
- Jones, The Watford Football Club Illustrated Who's Who. p. 43.
- "Nigeria 1–0 Algeria". BBC Sport. 30 January 2010. Retrieved 30 June 2010.
- Jones, The Watford Football Club Illustrated Who's Who. pp. 253–256.
- Jones, The Watford Football Club Illustrated Who's Who. p. 51.
- Fudge, Simon. "Baggies accept Chambers request". Sky Sports. Retrieved 6 March 2011.
- Lane, Pete (8 June 2010). "Ken Charlery". Peterborough United Football Club. Archived from the original on 17 July 2011. Retrieved 6 March 2011.
- Jones, The Watford Football Club Illustrated Who's Who. p. 59.
- "Don Cowie: A squad". Scottish Football Association. Retrieved 7 January 2011.
- Jones, The Watford Football Club Illustrated Who's Who. p. 281.
- "DeMerit joins Whitecaps FC". Vancouver Whitecaps FC. Retrieved 7 January 2011.
- "Paul Devlin: Scotland". Scottish Football Association. Retrieved 1 March 2010.
- Tongue, Steve (26 May 2013). "Watford seek repeat of 2006". The Independent. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- Jones, The Watford Football Club Illustrated Who's Who. p. 75.
- "Bruce Dyer". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 7 March 2011.
- "Wycombe player profiles". BBC Three Counties. 21 July 2005. Retrieved 12 August 2012.
- Jones, The Watford Football Club Illustrated Who's Who. p. 78.
- "Ben Foster". The Football Association. Retrieved 7 January 2011.
- Brooks, Ricky (4 October 2008). "Damien Francis announces retirement". Goal.com. Retrieved 6 March 2011.
- "AFC Wimbledon 1st team squad". AFC Wimbledon. Archived from the original on 11 February 2009. Retrieved 27 February 2010.
- "Squad profiles: Stephen Glass". BBC Sport. Retrieved 1 March 2010.
- "Graham hits his peak". The Football Association. 28 February 2005. Retrieved 29 June 2010.
- Matthews, Anthony (30 April 2011). "Danny Graham is Player of the Season". Watford Observer. Retrieved 10 May 2011.
- "Harley completes Fulham switch". BBC Sport. 8 August 2001. Retrieved 6 March 2011.
- "Félagsmaður" [United Iceland appearances] (in Icelandic). Football Association of Iceland (KSÍ). Retrieved 7 January 2011.
- "Heidar Helguson". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 7 March 2011.
- Jones, Watford Season by Season. pp. 24–27.
- Smith, Frank (10 February 2011). "Watford scholar Adam Thompson makes full Northern Ireland debut and Marvin Sordell scores for England Under-20s". Watford Observer. Retrieved 6 March 2011.
- Jones, The Watford Football Club Illustrated Who's Who. p. 123.
- "Scunthorpe have second Will Hoskins bid rejected". BBC Sport. 12 January 2011. Retrieved 6 March 2011.
- Jones, The Watford Football Club Illustrated Who's Who. p. 125.
- Ward, David (14 July 2010). "Billaricay: Major coup for Town as Micah Hyde signs". Essex Chronicle. Retrieved 6 March 2011.
- "David James". The Football Association. Retrieved 16 January 2012.
- "Ross Jenkins". The Football Association. Retrieved 6 March 2011.
- "Johnson begins the long road to fitness". Watford Football Club. Archived from the original on 18 July 2011. Retrieved 6 March 2011.
- Courtney, Barrie (2 March 2005). "Northern Ireland international results 2000–2005". Rec.Sport.Soccer Statistics Foundation (RSSSF). Retrieved 6 March 2011.
- "Marlon King". Jamaica Football Federation. Retrieved 27 February 2010.
- "Ecuador 3–2 England U21". BBC Sport. 10 February 2009. Retrieved 5 March 2010.
- Fordham, Jonny (27 August 2009). "Reading FC sign Grzegorz Rasiak and Jobi McAnuff". Reading Post. Retrieved 6 March 2011.
- Jones, The Watford Football Club Illustrated Who's Who. p. 153.
- "Malky Mackay: Scotland". Scottish Football Association. Retrieved 1 March 2010.
- Jones, The Watford Football Club Illustrated Who's Who. p. 158.
- "Mariappa wins Player of the Season award". Waford Observer. 28 April 2012. Retrieved 12 August 2012.
- "Hornets duo help Jamaica to victory". Watford Observer. 21 May 2012. Retrieved 21 May 2012.
- Courtney, Barrie (2 February 2005). "1996 matches: Africa". Rec.Sport.Soccer Statistics Foundation (RSSSF). Retrieved 6 March 2011.
- Mamrud, Roberto; Stokkermans, Karel (11 December 2009). "Denmark:Record international appearances". Rec.Sport.Soccer Statistics Foundation (RSSSF). Retrieved 26 February 2010.
- Culley, Jon (1 February 1999). "Football: That was the weekend that was". The Independent. Retrieved 12 August 2012.
- "Watford international round-up". Watford Observer. 12 September 2012. Retrieved 5 October 2012.
- "Colchester sign O'Toole on loan". BBC Sport. 2 September 2009. Retrieved 6 March 2011.
- Alpuin, Luis Fernando Passo (6 November 2009). "Wales record international players". Rec.Sport.Soccer Statistics Foundation (RSSSF). Retrieved 26 February 2010.
- Tongue, Steve (31 October 2000). "Palmer the all-rounder ready for United test". The Independent. Retrieved 6 March 2011.
- "Gary Penrice". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 7 March 2011.
- "Kevin Phillips". The Football Association. Retrieved 6 March 2011.
- "Ipswich sign Priskin from Watford". BBC Sport. 7 August 2009. Retrieved 6 March 2011.
- "Paul Robinson". West Bromwich Albion Football Club. Retrieved 6 March 2011.
- Jones, The Watford Football Club Illustrated Who's Who. p. 206.
- "Oldest England debutants". ITV Sport. 5 October 2010. Retrieved 6 March 2011.
- Tucker, Steve (24 December 2010). "Danny Shittu is top of Dave Jones' wishlist". Western Mail. Retrieved 7 January 2011.
- Jones, The Watford Football Club Illustrated Who's Who. p. 211.
- Williams, Richard (1 September 2000). "Joe Cole fires young England". The Guardian. Retrieved 6 March 2011.
- "Tommy Smith". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 7 March 2011.
- Fletcher, Paul (26 July 2012). "London 2012: Great Britain denied by late Senegal strike". BBC Sport. Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- "Bolton sign Marvin Sordell from Watford in permanent deal". BBC Sport. 1 February 2012. Retrieved 6 February 2012.
- "Sheffield United: Jordan Stewart interview". Yorkshire Evening Post. 15 March 2010. Retrieved 6 March 2011.
- Wallace, Sam (29 February 2008). "Martin Taylor: 'What Eduardo has said has shown that he is a great man'". The Independent. Retrieved 6 March 2011.
- Jones, The Watford Football Club Illustrated Who's Who. p. 230.
- Atkin, Ronald (2 March 2003). "Vernazza rises from the trauma to dream of an Arsenal reunion". The Independent. Retrieved 6 March 2011.
- Jones, The Watford Football Club Illustrated Who's Who. p. 233.
- "Darren Ward". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 7 March 2011.
- "Watford sign Webber". BBC Sport. 28 March 2002. Retrieved 6 March 2011.
- "Danny Webber". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 7 March 2011.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 22 September 2015. Retrieved 2013-04-29.
- Jones, The Watford Football Club Illustrated Who's Who. p. 238.
- Jones, The Watford Football Club Illustrated Who's Who. p. 242.
- Staniforth, Tommy (14 September 1999). "Football: Watford in record buy as Wooter signs for pounds 950,000". The Independent. Retrieved 6 March 2011.
- Fitzmaurice, Aiden (11 January 2010). "Flood gates open as Yeates departs Teesside". Evening Herald. Via HighBeam (subscription required).
- "Ashley Young". The Football Association. Retrieved 7 January 2011.