List of web directories
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from List of Web directories)
The following is a list of notable Web directory services.
- Best of the Web Directory – lists websites categorized both by topic and by region. This is a paid for service.
- Hotfrog – one of the largest collections of business directories in the World.
- Jasmine Directory - Human-edited, listing websites by topic and by region.
- JoeAnt – community of editors from the now-defunct Go.com volunteer-edited directory. Charges a fee.
- Sources – general subject web portal for journalists, freelance writers, editors, authors and researchers; in addition to a search engine it includes a subject-based directory.
- World Wide Web Virtual Library (VLIB) – oldest directory of the Web.
- Business.com – Integrated directory of knowledge resources and companies, that charges a fee for listing review and operates as a pay per click search engine.
- Dexigner – online portal for designers, that includes a directory section.
- Library and Archival Exhibitions on the Web – international database of online exhibitions which is a service of the Smithsonian Institution Libraries.
- ProgrammableWeb – resource on APIs that provides a directory of APIs.
- Starting Point Directory – Founded in 1995, relaunched in 2006, charges a fee.
- Virtual Library museums pages – directory of museum websites around the world.
- 2345.com – Chinese web directory founded in 2005. The website is the second most used web directory in China.
- Alleba – Filipino search engine website, with directory.
- Timway – web portal and directory primarily serving Hong Kong.
- AboutUs.org – directory from 2005 to 2013.
- Anime Web Turnpike – was a web directory founded in August 1995 by Jay Fubler Harvey. It served as a large database of links to various anime and manga websites.
- Biographicon – directory of biographical entries.
- DMOZ (also known as Open Directory Project) – largest directory of the Web. Its open content is mirrored at many sites. Offline since March 2017.
- Google Directory – copy of DMOZ directory, with sites listed in PageRank order within each category. Closed in July 2011.
- Humbul – former online service that reviewed and catalogued websites of interest to academics and students in the humanities. It was founded as a humanities communications service in 1985. In July 2006 Humbul was merged into the Intute service, as one half of the Intute Arts and Humanities Group.
- Internet Public Library – librarian-edited directory, product of a merger with the Librarians' Internet Index (LII) in 2010. Closed in June 2015.
- Intute – directory of websites for study and research. Maintenance stopped in July 2011, archives remain available.
- LookSmart – operated several vertical directories from 1995 to 2006.
- Lycos' TOP 5% – from 1995 until 2000 it aimed to list the Web's top 5% of Websites.
- RPG Gateway – part of the RPG Nexxus site network, it was a human-edited global niche directory, specializing in pen-and-paper role playing games and related content.
- Yahoo! Directory – first service that Yahoo! offered. Closed in December 2014.
- Yahoo! Kids – oldest online search directory for children, until its discontinuation as of April 30, 2013.
- Zeal – volunteer-built Web directory; it was introduced in 1999, acquired by LookSmart in 2000, and shut down in 2006.
- List of search engines
- 1337x – directory of torrent files and magnet links used for peer-to-peer file sharing through the BitTorrent protocol.
- Shopping directory