List of web directories
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from List of Web directories)
The following is a list of Web directory services for which Wikipedia has articles.
- Best of the Web Directory – Lists content-rich, well-designed Websites categorized both by topic and by region. This is a paid for service.
- DMOZ (a.k.a. Open Directory Project) – The largest directory of the Web. Its open content is mirrored at many sites, including the Google Directory until July 20, 2011.
- JoeAnt – A community of editors from the now-defunct Go.com volunteer-edited directory.
- Internet Public Library – Librarian-edited directory, product of a merger with the Librarians' Internet Index (LII) in 2010
- World Wide Web Virtual Library (VLIB) – The oldest directory of the Web.
- Hotfrog – One of the largest collections of business directories in the World
- Business.com – Business directory that charges a fee for review and operates as a Pay per click search engine.
- Starting Point Directory – Founded in 1995, relaunched in 2006, charges a fee.
- AboutUs.org – a directory from 2005 to 2013.
- Biographicon – a directory of biographical entries
- LookSmart – Operated several vertical directories from 1995 to 2006.
- Google Directory – Copy of DMOZ directory, with sites listed in PageRank order within each category. Closed in July 2011.
- Intute – Directory of websites for study and research. Maintenance stopped in July 2011, archives remain available.
- Lycos' TOP 5% – From 1995 until 2000 it aimed to list the Web's top 5% of Websites.
- Yahoo! Directory – The first service that Yahoo! offered. Closed in December 2014.
- Zeal – Volunteer-built Web directory. It was introduced in 1999, acquired by LookSmart in 2000, and shut down in 2006.