List of Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's characters
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The following is a list of characters from the Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's anime series.
Names refer to the 4K Media English version, with the original Japanese names presented in the descriptions where available. Some international releases feature alternative names.
Main characters 
The main characters of the show are Signers (シグナー Shigunā), people who bear the Mark of the Crimson Dragon, a deity worshiped by a pre-Incan civilization that defended the world from the Red Nova and the Earthbound Immortals with the help of the Signer Dragons, powerful dragons that have been turned into Duel Monsters cards that the current Signers now possess. Signers are chosen by the Crimson Dragon to protect the world from evil.
- Yusei Fudo (不動 遊星 Fudō Yūsei) is a young man who was born in the Tops district of New Domino City, but was sent to the Satellite in an effort to save him. After he arrived in the Satellite, he was raised by his adoptive mother Martha alongside other orphans like Jack and Crow. When he travels to New Domino City in order to retrieve his Stardust Dragon from Jack Atlas, he soon discovers that he is a Signer, a person chosen to bear the mark of the Crimson Dragon. While he initially bears the mark of the Crimson Dragon's tail, it is replaced with the Dragon Head following his battle with Goodwin signifying him as the new leader of the Signers. Yusei is a cool, attractive, calm and collected duelist who believes no card is useless, and is admired by many people. He values his friends above all. Yusei uses a Junk Deck which focuses on managing small monsters of various levels in order to summon out powerful Synchro Monsters, such as Junk Warrior. His key card is Stardust Dragon, his Signer dragon, and he later obtains two further evolutions: the powerful Majestic Star Dragon and the Accel Synchro monster, Shooting Star Dragon. At the end of the series, he is able to perform a Limit Over Accel Synchro to summon his strongest monster, Shooting Quasar Dragon. At the end of the series, he becomes a scientist and remains in New Domino City to look after the place everyone will return to when they fulfill their dreams. Yusei is the most powerful Duelist/Turbo Duelist in the series of Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's.
- In the manga, Yusei Fudo enters the D1GP for a chance to duel Jack Atlas again after losing to him once and to save his friend Sect Ijuin after he is kidnapped by the Skeleton Knight. Yusei still uses a Junk deck but with new Warrior monsters such as Lightning Warrior and Mighty Warrior. Later on he gains a Duel Dragon version of Stardust Dragon called Stardust Spark Dragon.
- Voiced by: Takanori Hoshino (Japanese); Ed Paul (English)
- Jack Atlas (ジャック・アトラス Jakku Atorasu) is known as the "Master of Faster" ("King of Riding Duels" in the Japanese version), and was once Yusei's best friend. However, they became bitter rivals after Jack stole Yusei's Stardust Dragon, Duel Runner and left for New Domino City. As a former resident of the Satellite, he must hide his past from the rest of society. Jack is defeated by Yusei in the championship round of the Fortune Cup. He starts off as very arrogant and cruel, but his conscience is revived thanks to Carly Carmine, who heals his wounded heart and teaches him to "let the real Jack Atlas live", and become a good person. It is later revealed that he fell in love with Carly. His signature card is his Signer dragon, Red Dragon Archfiend (Red Demon's Dragon in the Japanese version) which, when granted the power of the Signers, can be upgraded to Majestic Red Dragon. He later achieves Burning Soul, an ability which can summon out Red Nova Dragon. He plays a "Power" Deck, focusing on quickly summoning powerful monster to obliterate his opponent's defenses. Jack is one of the six Signers, and carries the Crimson Dragon's Wings. Mina, Carly, and the waitress Stephanie are all attracted to Jack. Jack continues to compete in Duel Circuits around the world at the end of the series in hopes to become the top Turbo Duelist in the world. Jack is the second most powerful Duelist/Turbo Duelist in the series of Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's, second only to Yusei.
- In the manga, Jack Atlas is a powerful Turbo Duelist called the King that is known and feared by many. Unlike the anime, Yusei and Jack do not know each other priorly. Jack uses a King deck based around summoning his ace monster Dark Highlander. Jack also owns the Duel Dragon version of Red Dragon Archfiend called Hot Red Dragon Archfiend which was stolen from him as a kid by Kalin Kessler but it was later given back to him.
- Voiced by: Shintarō Asanuma
- Crow Hogan (クロウ・ホーガン Kurō Hōgan) is one of Yusei's best friends. His parents died when he was little, and he was alone until Duel Monsters gave him friends and taught him how to read. He was given the nickname Crow by some other young duelists, since his first card was a Blackwing. He passes his knowledge on to a group of children he looks after, and he steals to provide for them. He later becomes a member of the Enforcers (Team Satisfaction in the Japanese version) with Yusei, Jack, and Kalin, but he quits due to Kalin taking the fun out of dueling. His custom Duel Runner, Blackbird, has a built-in Flying Formation used to cross large gaps and can also fire hooks to change direction. After facing Goodwin alongside Yusei and Jack, Crow inherits Yusei's Tail Birthmark, becoming a Signer. He uses a Blackwing deck that can quickly summon monsters (a.k.a. "swarming") and use their abilities to win a duel, and his main Synchro Monsters are Blackwing Armed Wing, Blackwing - Silverwind the Ascendant, and Blackwing Armor Master. He later obtains his own Signer Dragon, Black-Winged Dragon. At the end of the series, he becomes part of the police force in New Domino City. He then leaves New Domino City to participate in Duel Circuits.
- In the manga, Crow Hogan enters the D1GP in hopes of giving his younger brother Yoshi the courage to go through a serious operation. He is a skilled duelist capable of summoning two or three Synchro Monsters in a single turn. Crow uses a Blackwing Deck but with new monsters like the Blackwing Tamers. Later on, he gains his own Duel Dragon: Blackfeather Darkrage Dragon.
Akiza Izinski 
- Voiced by: Ayumi Kinoshita (Japanese); Bella Hudson (English)
- Akiza Izinski, known as Aki Izayoi (十六夜 アキ Izayoi Aki) in Japan, appears as a cold and pathologically sadomasochistic girl with the power to bring the monsters and magic of Duel Monsters to life, a psychic power ability only used through anguish and cruelty to get revenge on those who mistreated her. Because of her abilities, she is called the "Black Rose" ("Black Rose Witch" in the Japanese version). Previously, Akiza chose to distance herself from people, believing her power to be caused by the Dragon birthmark she possesses, but she became kinder after her second duel with Yusei, whom she eventually falls in love with. She is the third Signer and carries one of the Crimson Dragon's claws. Her deck is based around Plant-Type Monsters, and she holds the "Black Rose Dragon" which is her Signer Dragon. She, along with Leo, Luna, and their friends, attends the Duel Academy after the Dark Signers' defeat and later becomes a Turbo Duelist, acting as a reserve member of Team 5D's in the WRGP. At the end of the series, despite graduating the Duel Academy at the top of her class, Aki leaves New Domino City to study and become a doctor in Europe. Before leaving, she meets Yusei one more time to confess her love for him, but decides not to. They share words with each other and before they say goodbye. In the future, she becomes a doctor and promises herself she'll reunite with Yusei again.
- In the manga, Aki is a popular and powerful psychic duelist at the Queen's Duel Academy. She is so popular that she is given the title; Queen of Queens. She enters the D1GP tournament in hopes of dueling Jack Atlas again but she was defeated by Kalin Kessler before she could reach him. Aki uses a Plant/Angel based deck featuring monsters such as Queen Angel of Roses and Rosaria, The Stately Fallen Angel. Later on, she would be given her own Duel Dragon by Rex Goodwin called Black Rose Moonlight Dragon.
- Voiced by: Ai Horana (Japanese); Cassandra Lee Morris (seasons 1-2), Eileen Stevens (seasons 3-4) (English)
- Leo, known as Lua (龍亞 Rua) is the lively and blundering twin brother of Luna. He plays a "Morphtronic" deck ("D-Former" in the Japanese version), with transforming monsters that have different abilities in attack and defense position, and his key card is Power Tool Dragon. He idolizes both Yusei and Jack and is always looking after his sister Luna. During a life-or-death battle against Aporia, Leo's desire to protect Luna makes him the sixth and final Signer, with the Mark of the Crimson Dragon's Heart. He also comes into possession of the final Signer dragon and true form of Power Tool Dragon: Life Stream Dragon. Life Stream Dragon is also a Synchro Tuner monster which Yusei can use to summon out his strongest monster, Shooting Quasar Dragon. At the end of the series, Leo and Luna both leave New Domino City to be with their parents. He also begins his career as a Turbo Duelist and starts to participate in Duel Circuits.
- In the manga, Leo along with his sister, is a eliminator hired by Rex Goodwin to remove any weak Duelists from the D1GP and to find people that can wield the Duel Dragon cards. Abandoned by their parents when they were young, Leo and Luna entered underground Turbo Dueling to earn money to survive. At first they were a great success but Luna came down with an unknown illness and Leo had to Duel by himself to get enough money to pay for her medicine. Without his sister to cheer him on, Leo began to lose horribly causing people that bet on him to become angry and beat him up. Lazar approached Leo and offered him a job to pay for his sister's medicine. In Duels, both Leo and Luna share a Duel Runner and the same deck consisting of his "Morphtronic" Spell and Trap cards and her "Forest" monster cards. Leo's ace monster is the Duel Dragon: Power Tool Mecha Dragon.
- Voiced by: Yuka Terasaki (Japanese); Cassandra Lee Morris (seasons 1-2), Eileen Stevens (seasons 3-4) (English)
- Luna, Luca (龍可 Ruka) in Japan, is the calm and collected twin sister of Leo. She plays a "Fairy/Spirit" deck, and gained the ability to speak with Duel Monster spirits after an incident that occurred eight years ago. At a young age, Luna fell into a coma and entered the Realm of Duel Monster Spirits, where she met Ancient Fairy Dragon and promised to protect her. Although she had since forgotten this experience, she comes to remember after the Fortune Cup, and later returns to the Duel Monster Realm to free Ancient Fairy Dragon from Devack's control. She dislikes dueling, as speaking to monster spirits tires her. She is also one of the six Signers. Her birthmark is one of the Crimson Dragon's Claws. Her Signer dragon is the Ancient Fairy Dragon, which she retrieved after defeating Devack. At the end of the series, Luna and Leo both leave New Domino City to be with their parents and attend a school in the future.
- In the manga, Luna along with her brother, is a eliminator hired by Rex Goodwin to remove any weak Duelists from the D1GP and to find people that can wield the Duel Dragon cards. Abandoned by their parents when they were young, Leo and Luna entered underground Turbo Dueling to earn money to survive. At first they were a great success but Luna came down with an unknown illness though she does become better. In Duels, both Luna and Leo share a Duel Runner and the same deck consisting of his "Morphtronic" Spell and Trap cards and her "Forest" monster cards. Luna's ace monster is the Duel Dragon: Ancient Pixie Dragon.
- Mina Simington / Mikage Sagiri (狭霧 深影（さぎりみかげ） Sagiri Mikage)
- Voiced by: Aiko Aihashi (Japanese); Carrie Keranen (English)
- Mina is Rex Goodwin's secretary who was sent to watch over Jack Atlas while he was the King of Duelists. She is often very concerned over Jack and tries her best to be useful, despite Jack's cold attitude towards her. She is the only one who knows that Jack's feelings for Carly are his true motivation for fighting the Dark Signers. She has shown to have feelings for Jack (though he doesn't seem to reciprocate) and envies Carly for the attention he gives her. Following the Dark Signers incident, she becomes a chief in the Special Security Investigation with Trudge as her assistant.
- Tetsu Trudge / Tetsu Ushio (牛尾 哲 Ushio Tetsu)
- Voiced by: Kōji Ochiai
- Tetsu is a Security Officer who observes the residents of Satellite. He initially duels using a "Guard" deck, but after his first clash with Yusei, he upgrades to a specially-designed "Pursuit" deck, with uses Goyo Guardian as its main Synchro of choice. He is violent, but also takes great pride in being a duelist, and for this Yusei respects him. After losing to Yusei, Trudge vows to defeat and arrest him, no matter how long it takes. After the first confrontation between Yusei and the Dark Signers (through a Shadow Drone), Trudge falls under their control, becoming a Shadow Drone himself. He challenges Jack to a duel while Jack is still recovering from his injuries from the Fortune Cup finals match against Yusei. Trudge uses a Worm-based deck that focuses on Deck Destruction. Just like the other brainwashed Dark Signers, Trudge returns to normal after being defeated by Jack. He later reappears to help Mina spy on Jack and brings the signers to Martha's place where he develops a deeper respect for the people of Satellite. He is also shown to have a crush on Mina, and is incredibly jealous of Jack. As time goes on, Trudge becomes less hateful and shows more concern for his allies. Following the Dark Signer incident, he becomes Mina's assistant in an Investigation unit. He is also an examiner who tests those looking to acquire a license for Turbo Duels. It has been revealed that he is the same Tetsu that picked on Yugi Mutou at Domino High, in the Yu-Gi-Oh! original series.
- In the dubbed version, Tetsu has a rivalry with Yusei going for some time. The pilot dub shown at Comic-Con referred to him by his Japanese name, Ushio, rather than Trudge.
- In the manga, Tetsu was a contestant in the D1GP who managed to reach the second stage of the tournament. However he was defeated by Leo and Luna shortly afterwards.
- Carly Carmine / Carly Nagisa (カーリー・渚 Kārī Nagisa)
- Voiced by: Aki Kanada 
- First appearing in season 2, Carly is a reporter who came from the country to seek out her dreams. In the English dub, she is a blogger working as an intern who hopes to become a true reporter. She has long black hair and wears thick glasses. She tends to get pushed around by others as she attempts to obtain a big scoop and is generally called "Stutter Stammer Carly" due to her nervousness. She uses a "Fortune Fairy" Deck to predict her fortune and get tips for the day. Despite her anxiety, she is a truly good person and gets her happiness from seeing others try hard.
- She safeguards Jack for a short while and garners some affection for him, but he leaves her behind to avoid getting her involved with the Signer battles. However, she infiltrates the Arcadia Movement and ends up being killed after plummeting through a window as a result of Sayer's Psychic Monsters during their duel (In the dub, her fall was prevented by the Dark Signers). She is revived as a Dark Signer herself, with an alternate vengeful personality. She brandishes a birthmark of the Hummingbird, a "Fortune Lady" deck with monsters that grow gradually stronger with each turn, and the Earthbound Immortal Aslla Piscu, which destroys all her opponents' monsters and inflicts damage accordingly should it ever leave the field. She is never shown with any Dark Synchro monsters. Despite the new persona, the true Carly still exists within her and desires to be with Jack. She ends up dueling Jack, and she shows him a vision in which they are together as Dark Signers, but Jack aims to reach her true desires. He confesses his love for her and is willing to sacrifice himself to make her understand. While he manages to reach her, the Earthbound Immortal takes over Carly and Jack is forced to fight her. Jack tries to play the trap Shock Wave to destroy his Majestic Red Dragon that would cause the duel to end in a tie, but Carly activates one of her trap cards before Jack, ending the duel with her as the loser. Carly tells Jack that she will always be cheering him on and that she loves him, before dying. She is revived by Goodwin as he fades away. She reappears in the third season, occasionally helping Jack out. While her memories of her time as a Dark Signer have disappeared, her feelings for Jack have not.
- Carly makes a brief cameo in the manga. She can be seen in the stands cheering when Jack Atlas appears.
- Lazar / Yeager (イェーガー Yēgā)
- Voiced by: Tetsuya Yanagihara (Japanese); Gary Mack (English)
- Lazar is Goodwin's assistant and Director of the Neo Domino Security Division. He comes from a family of clowns and enjoys eating cup ramen. In the third season, he pledges allegiance to the Three Emperors of Yliaster, but later goes into hiding with his wife and son when he learns more about their plans. While generally composed, he gets rather jittery under pressure. He uses a 'Jester Deck', which focuses on sealing Synchro monsters. After his hideout is discovered by Team 5D's, he decides to cooperate with them. After Yliaster is defeated, Lazar becomes the first elected Mayor of New Domino City when a civilian government is established in the city, replacing the Public Security Maintenance Bureau.
- Rally Dawson (ラリー・ドーソン Rarī Dōson)
- Rally is a young boy who idolizes his friend Yusei. He steals a chip to assist Yusei in his duel against Jack. In return, Yusei helps him out when Rally is targeted by Security because of the marker on his cheek. While Rally's main deck is never seen, his specialty is 'One Shot' monsters. Rally gave one of his monsters, Turbo Booster, to Yusei for good luck. During Yusei's duel with Roman, Roman uses Rally as a human shield. Rally uses One Shot Cannon to destroy the Earthbound Immortal Uru, thereby sacrificing himself to save Yusei. Rally returns when Yusei defeats Roman.
- Greiger / Bommer (ボマー Bomā)
- Voiced by: Keiji Hirai (Japanese); Sean Schemmel (English)
- Greiger is a physically well-built Duelist, first seen in the Fortune Cup tournament, battling first against Leo (who was posing as Luna), then against Crow in a Turbo Duel, although he was trying to duel Yusei. He is from Central America, and he believes his village was used by Goodwin as the site of an "experiment" to summon the Crimson Dragon. The experiment completely destroyed the village, resulting in the disappearance of Greiger's younger brother and sister. Greiger is enraged to learn the truth prior to his match with Yusei, and he attempts to take revenge on Goodwin for his village's destruction.
- When Greiger loses, he reveals the truth to the audience before using his Duel Runner to rocket toward the box room to take out Goodwin. Yusei stops Greiger, who is soon arrested by Security for his attempt on Goodwin's life. Grieger is publicly labeled insane to discredit his word against Goodwin and sentenced to death. However, he is later set free by Devack and brought before Roman. Roman makes him a Dark Signer and gives him the whale birthmark to exract vengeance on their mutual enemies Goodwin and Yusei. While hunting them, Greiger ends up dueling Crow, and he learns that the Dark Signers caused his village's destruction, and its residents, including his brother and sister, are being used for his Earthbound Immortal's summoning. Crow defeats the Earthbound Immortal to free Greiger's people. Defeated, Greiger tells Yusei to beat the Dark Signers before he disappears. Greiger later returns after Goodwin's defeat.
- In the manga, Greiger was once called "The Undefeated Giant" but he was defeated by Jack Atlas who mocked him for not being any challenge to him. Greiger enters the D1GP for a chance to get revenge on Jack. His first opponent was Yusei Fudo. Despite putting up a good fight, he lost to Yusei and blamed the loss on himself for being too focused on his revenge on Jack.
- Greiger's deck is fairly solid, focusing on his three "Reactor" monsters, who can inflict damage the first time their opponent summons a monster, or activate a Spell or Trap card each turn. His Ace Monsters are his "Flying Fortress SKY FIRE", which is a combination of his three Reactor monsters, and his Synchro Monster "Dark Strike Fighter". While a Dark Signer, Greiger brandishes the Earthbound Immortal Chacu Challua, which can inflict damage in defense mode with half of its defense points and prevent its opponents from attacking. He also controls a Dark Synchro monster, Dark Fleet Top, which special summons Flying Fortress SKY FIRE from his graveyard each turn. In the manga Greiger uses a fusion-based deck that allows him to summon fusion monsters more quickly.
- Sherry LeBlanc (シェリー・ルブラン Sherī Ruburan)
- Voiced by: Erika Nakagawa (Japanese); Eileen Stevens (English)
- Sherry is a Turbo Duelist from a rival team, who hopes to recruit Yusei to her team. She belonged to a rich family until her parents were killed by Yliaster when she was young, and she is now under the care of her butler, Elsworth. She enters the WRGP with Elsworth as her only teammate to learn about Yliaster and find out more about her parents' death. However, during a mission with Yusei and Bruno, she becomes separated from them in a wormhole and ends up in an alternate dimension where she meets ZONE. Sherry is shown the twisted future and becomes ZONE's ally after offering to rewrite her past so her parents didn't die. However, she is defeated by Aki and Crow and shown the light. She uses a "Fleur Sacred Knight" deck, with her key monster being Chevalier de Fleur.
- In the manga, Sherry is a Psychic Duelist and one of the best alongside Aki in Duel Academy Sanctuary. However Aki would leave the academy as she became disgusted with the way the duelists treated others. Sherry holds a grudge against Aki because of this as she believed that she ran away from her responsibility. Sherry plays a Magical Elf deck based on guessing cards in her opponent's hands. As a Psychic Duelist she has an ability called "Hand Scan" which as the name implies allows her to look into her opponents hand and see whichever card they are holding.
- Kalin Kessler / Kyosuke Kiryu (鬼柳 京介 Kiryū Kyōsuke)
- Voiced by: Yūki Ono (Japanese); Marc Diraison (English)
- Kalin was once the leader of a group called The Enforcers ("Team Satisfaction" in the original dub) with Yusei, Jack and Crow. The group would go around battling rival duel gangs (In the English dub, The Enforcers defeat Satellite gangs in order to make Satellite a safer place; after defeating all the gangs, Kalin finds Security as the enemy). As time went on however, he became a bit more sadistic against his opponents and started going out of control and hurting his opponents as a result, which caused Crow, Jack and Yusei to leave. Kalin decides to provoke Security and Murders a Security officer. When Yusei tries to take the blame for it, his attempt fails and Kalin is arrested. Misunderstanding the situation and believing Yusei had sold him out, he later becomes a Dark Signer, branded with the Giant birthmark, in order to get his revenge on Yusei. Their first duel is canceled due to a malfunction on Yusei's Duel Runner, but he loses his second duel with Yusei, when Yusei's feelings allows him to synchro summon Majestic Star Dragon. He forgives Yusei before disappearing. In the 4kids version he admits he was wrong to think that Yusei sold him out.
- He is revived after Goodwin's defeat, but still has memories of being a Dark Signer and the crimes he committed. He goes to a place called Crash Town looking for a way to die, and ends up dueling Yusei again. They are soon both captured and taken to work in a mine, though Yusei manages to free him. While assisting two siblings, West and Nico, in rescuing their father, Kalin regains his will to live.
- In the manga, Kalin was once a prisoner in a facility owned by Rex Goodwin. He and Jack Atlas dueled each other to earn their freedom but Kalin threw the match as he didn't want to leave the other kids behind. As a reward for winning, Goodwin gave a Duel Dragon card to Jack. Annoyed by this, Kalin steals the card and destroy the facility with explosives. Kalin would meet Jack years later and gives back the card he stole from him. Then they decide to have a Duel to settle the scores between them.
- He uses an "Infernity" Deck that specializes in effects when the player has 0 cards in his hand. His Dark Signer deck additionally has two key monsters: a Dark Synchro Monster called Hundred Eyes Dragon, which can gain the effects of the monsters in his graveyard, and the Earthbound Immortal Ccapac Apu, which inflicts additional damage for every monster it destroys. His Dark Signer birthmark is based on the giant Nazca line. In Crash Town, it is revealed that he has his own Ace, the Synchro Monster Infernity Doom Dragon. In the manga, Kalin still uses an Infernity deck but with new monsters and he supports his deck with the Void trap card series. His Ace monster is the Duel Dragon: Void Ogre Dragon.
- Rex Goodwin is the leader of the Yliaster cell working in New Domino City and the Director of Sector Security. He, alongside his brother Roman, was an assistant to Professor Fudo during the Zero Reverse accident. With his elitism, he transformed the city into a hierarchical society. He shows interest in the Signers, and he explains their significance to Jack prior to holding the Fortune Cup to gather the remaining Signers and awaken their powers. Rex is shown to be aggressive if necessary, but he usually has a calm demeanor. A legendary Turbo Duelist, Goodwin lost his left arm around the time he didn't finish Daedalus Bridge (the only means for the Satellite to be connected with New Domino City) and had it replaced with a cybernetic one which doubles as his duel disk. He additionally possesses his brother's severed arm with the head part of the Mark of the Dragon. In the dub he claims to be the fifth signer, but it is not actually so. But after the deaths of the Dark Signers, Rex reveals himself to have become one of them during a duel with Roman, having the condor birthmark on his back and control of the Earthbound Immortal Wiraqocha Rasca. Furthermore, he integrates his brother's arm onto himself to gain the power of a Signer as part of his plan to use both the Earthbound Immortals and the Crimson Dragon to recreate the world in his image. He is defeated by the joint efforts of Yusei, Jack and Crow, and passes onto the afterlife with Roman. His ace is the Synchro Monster Sun Dragon Inti and the Dark Synchro Monster Moon Dragon Quilla.
- In the manga, Rex Goodwin hosts the D1 Grand Prix or D1GP for short in order to find the Emperor of Turbo Duels. But as he reveals to Yusei, the real reason for the tournament is to gather Duelists that can wield the power of the Duel Dragons to save the world from The Skeleton Knight. Rex uses a Celestial deck based on trapping his opponents in a loop. His Duel Dragon is Ascension Sky Dragon. It has an effect that is similar to Slifer the Sky Dragon from the original series which is to gain attack points based on how many cards the user is holding in his hand.
- Roman Goodwin (ルドガー・ゴドウィン Rudogā Godowin)
- Roman is the leader of the Dark Signers. He possesses a birthmark resembling the Spider Nazca line and can use it send out spiders that can possess civilians, turning them into Dark Signers, and giving them Shadow powers and Dark Tuner and Synchro Monsters. The spiders can also be used as a means of surveillance, reporting all they have found once they return to their owner. Roman reveals himself to be Rex Goodwin's big brother and an assistant to Professor Fudo (Yusei's Father), until he met a mysterious man from Yliaster. The man told him to look into Ener-D's light and learn about the Earthbound Immortals' battle against the Crimson Dragon. Though revealed to be the Fifth Signer, Roman betrays Professor Fudo and causes the Zero Reverse incident after ripping his own arm off and giving it to Rex, telling him to unite the Signers. The resulting explosion transforms Roman into a Dark Signer.
- Like Rex, Roman has a bionic arm, which he uses to trigger explosives. He is defeated by Yusei, but before he dies, he triggers an explosion that sends Yusei down into the pool Ener-D. His deck focuses around Spider type monsters, and specializes in changing an opponent's monster into defense mode to obtain counters for summoning his Earthbound Immortal Uru. Uru can control an opponent's monster by sacrificing one of his own. Roman is later defeated by Yusei, but he sets off an explosive in his mechanical arm before crumbling to dust, so that Yusei would fall into the gate to the Netherworld. His spirit remains in the world until Goodwin is defeated, at which point Roman joins his brother in the afterlife. His ace is the Dark Synchro Underground Arachnid.
- Roman appears in the manga and is revealed to be the Skeleton Knight.
- Devack (ディマク Dimaku)
- Devack is another Dark Signer who has Ancient Fairy Dragon in his possession. Devack hates the Signers although his reason for doing so is never explained. He possesses the birthmark of the monkey and the Earthbound Immortal Cusillu. During the chaos surrounding Carly and Misty's duels, he frees Greiger, who was being escorted by Sector Security and recruits him for the Dark Signers. He duels Leo and Luna in the Spirit World, but is defeated and turns to dust when Luna reappears and reclaims Ancient Fairy Dragon. He is the first Dark Signer to be defeated, when he is beaten by Leo and Luna. After Goodwin's defeat, Devack is revived.
- Like his birthmark, his deck features Monkey monsters, including the Dark Synchro Monster Zeman the Ape King, which focuses around increasing the power of his monsters in play through the number of monsters in his graveyard. He is also able to use captured spirits from the Spirit World in order to summon his Earthbound Immortal Cusillu, who can avoid destruction and cut its opponent's life points in half if Devack sacrifices his other monsters in order to do so.
Originally led by Goodwin, Yliaster (イリアステル Iriasuteru, also Iliaster) was an organization of Star Guardians, who are said to bring peace to the world and worship the Crimson Dragon. Their true purpose, however, is to steer the world to change the future, which was destroyed by Dr Fudo's creation of Ener-D (Momentum in Japanese). In the third season, the founding Yliaster members come from the future with the purpose of setting things right. They hope to accomplish this by harnessing energy from Turbo Duels during the WRGP to power the Ark Cradle, which will be used to destroy Ener-D, and ultimately New Domino City and Satellite, and thus undo the calamity Ener-D had caused.
- Aporia (アポリア)
- Aporia is an android from the future, one of the last remaining humans after the Ener-D explosion. On the verge of death, Aporia allowed Z-ONE split him into three incarnations, in order to go back into past and alter it. The three incarnations, known as the Three Emperors of Yliaster, are also known as the three tragedies of Aporia's lifetime, because they are the embodiments of intregral moments of his despair. During the end of the WRGP, the Three Emperors combined back into Aporia, who appears in the peak of his life. Aporia duels against Yusei and loses, with his body being damaged as a result. He is repaired by Z-ONE and duels Jack, Leo and Luna in order to protect the Ark Cradle. He is defeated by them, and they show him that hope is stronger than despair. As a result, Aporia becomes filled with hope and decides to face Z-ONE in a duel. Aporia loses and is destroyed as a result. His Turbo Deck is a composite of the Emperors' Meklord Emperor decks, which have the ability to absorb Synchro Monsters, along with the strongest Meklord Emperor, Meklord Astro Mekanikle. His Standing Deck focuses on effect damage, and features Meklord Armies, and his key monster, Meklord Astro Dragon Asterisk.
- Jakob / José (ホセ Hose)
- Voiced by: Takayuki Sugō
- Jakob is the de facto leader of the Three Emperors of Yliaster. He is the incarnation of Aporia's later years, and his despair of being one of the last four living humans in his time. His ace monster is Meklord Emperor Granel, which can use the power of the Synchro Monsters it absorbs.
- Lester / Luciano (ルチアーノ Ruchiāno)
- Voiced by: Hitomi Yoshida
- The youngest in the group, Lester has the ability to shape-shift, and appears initially in the series as a teen with long red hair tied in a single braid. He has a rather sadistic personality. He is particularly skillful at creating illusions. It is later revealed he is the incarnation of Aporia's preteen years, and his despair of becoming an orphan. Lester's ace monster is Meklord Emperor Skiel. He transfers into Duel Academy in order to get close to Luna, and ends up dueling both her and Leo. After the duel, Lester wipes the memories of the Duel Academy students so they behave like he doesn't exist. He is also the first character in the series to use a Duel Board.
- Primo / Placido (プラシド Purashido)
- Voiced by: Masakazu Nemoto (Japanese); Jason Griffith (English)
- Primo is the incarnation of Aporia's late teenage years, and his despair of losing his girlfriend. His ace monster is Meklord Emperor Wisel. He has dark-gray hair and the ability to control machines. He carries a sword that can be used to open portals, or can be used as a futuristic duel disk. He has Lazar steal a Duel Runner program from Yusei, and install it into a large number of Duel Bots. He eventually uses these Duel Bots to force Turbo Duelists to crash, in order to speed up a process that Yliaster was planning. Primo is eventually defeated by Yusei and is critically damaged, but Z-ONE repairs him.
- Bashford / Tetsuzo Kuzuyama (屑山鉄蔵 Kuzuyama Tetsuzō)
- Bashford is an old man from Satellite. After his wife leaves with his son, Adam/Goki, he becomes attached to his house, which features booby traps and an old-fashioned duel ring. After dueling Crow, he stays at Martha's. Bashford uses a Scrap-Iron deck, which contains a family of Junk monsters and several 'Scrap-Iron' trap cards.
- Rudolph Heitmann (ルドルフ・ハイトマン Rudorufu Haitoman)
- Rudolph is the Vice Chancellor of Duel Academy. He dislikes students with low-level monsters. He seems to have inherited the Ancient Gear deck used by Vellian Crowler from Yu-Gi-Oh! GX, which has been updated through the years.
- Don Piero / Garome (ガロメ)
- Pierro is a loan shark who swindles people out of their cards. Similar to his job, his deck consists of accountant-esque monsters and specialises on placing Loan Tokens on the opponent's field.
- Blitz (ナーヴ Nāvu)[a]
- Blitz Boylston is a friend of Yusei and an inhabitant of Satellite. He has a strong sense of justice.
- Nervin (ブリッツ Burittsu)
- Nervin is a friend of Yusei and an inhabitant of Satellite. Nervin is shown with glasses and dreadlock hair, and is described as analytical. He is prone to worrying. For some reason him and Blitz have their names swapped in the dub.
- Tank / Taka (タカ)
- Tank is a friend of Yusei and an inhabitant of Satellite. He has a jolly personality.
- Sly (スライ Surai)
- Sly is a student at Duel Academy. He is an anti-social boy, who tends to be by himself. He often gets dragged around by Luna and tries to steal Yusei's Stardust Dragon card.
- Bob (ボブ Bobu)
- Bob is a student at Duel Academy. He is friends with Leo and Luna.
- Patty (パティ Pati)
- Patty is a student at Duel Academy. She has blonde hair, green eyes and dark skin. She is friends with Luna and Leo.
- Maria Bartlet (マリア Maria)
- Maria Bartlet is a teacher at Duel Academy. She has short red hair and grey eyes.
- Zora (ゾラ)
- Zora is a friend of Martha's and the landlady of a house that Yusei, Jack and Crow stay at in the third season. She gets annoyed by the disturbances of the crew's engineering, but she seems to have a soft side for Yusei.
- Chancellor (校長先生 Kōchō sensei)
- The head of Duel Academy.
- Sect Ijuin (伊集院セクト Ijūin Sekuto)
- Sect is a Turbo duelist who looks up to Yusei Fudo like a big brother. However after getting a shadow card from the Skeleton Knight, he believes that Yusei looks down on him for being weak. He uses an Insect deck and has an ant-themed Duel Runner. Later on he gains a new Duel Runner and uses a Hell-themed deck. His ace monster is the Duel Dragon: Beezle of the Diabolic Dragons. It has a stronger form called Beelzeus of the Diabolic Dragons. In the Japanese version Sect has a habit of saying "Ari" (アリ, "ant"). Originally the creators planned to give him an ant-themed deck, but instead they gave him an insect-themed deck. The Duel Runner and the speech in the Japanese version are remnants of the ant theme.
- "あにてれ：遊☆戯☆王ファイブディーズ". www.tv-tokyo.co.jp. Retrieved October 30, 2017.
- "Yusei Fudo". www.yugioh.com. Retrieved October 30, 2017.
- "Jack Atlas". www.yugioh.com. Retrieved October 30, 2017.
- "Crow Hogan". www.yugioh.com. Retrieved October 30, 2017.
- "Akiza Izinski". www.yugioh.com. Retrieved October 30, 2017.
- EverythingGeekCast (August 7, 2017). "Everything Geek Podcast Special Guest Interview- Cassandra Lee Morris". Retrieved October 30, 2017 – via YouTube.
- "Leo". www.yugioh.com. Retrieved October 30, 2017.
- "Luna". www.yugioh.com. Retrieved October 30, 2017.
- Everything Geek podcast:
- profile writeup: "Carrie Keranen". Everything Geek Podcast. Retrieved March 31, 2016.
- podcast: "Everything Geek Podcast LIVE Show 7th February 2015 – Carrie Keranen interview". Everything Geek (Podcast). February 7, 2015. Retrieved March 31, 2016 – via Mixlr.com.
- Carrie Keranen [@CarrieKeranen] (May 1, 2015). "@ED_Rider yes! I did both!!! I forgot about misty! I so rarely play bad guys" (Tweet). Retrieved November 17, 2015 – via Twitter.
- "Tetsu Trudge". www.yugioh.com. Retrieved October 30, 2017.
- Yu-Gi-Oh! 10th Anniversary Animation Book
- "Lazar". www.yugioh.com. Retrieved October 30, 2017.
- "Rally Dawson". www.yugioh.com. Retrieved October 30, 2017.
- "Greiger". www.yugioh.com. Retrieved October 30, 2017.
- "Sherry LeBlanc". www.yugioh.com. Retrieved October 30, 2017.
- "Kalin Kessler". www.yugioh.com. Retrieved October 30, 2017.
- "Rex Goodwin". www.yugioh.com. Retrieved October 30, 2017.
- "Roman Goodwin". www.yugioh.com. Retrieved October 30, 2017.
- "Devack". www.yugioh.com. Retrieved October 30, 2017.
- "Jakob". www.yugioh.com. Retrieved October 30, 2017.
- "Lester". www.yugioh.com. Retrieved October 30, 2017.
- "Primo". www.yugioh.com. Retrieved October 30, 2017.
- "Bashford". www.yugioh.com. Retrieved October 30, 2017.
- "Rudolph Heitmann". www.yugioh.com. Retrieved October 30, 2017.
- "Don Piero". www.yugioh.com. Retrieved October 30, 2017.
- "Blitz Boylston". www.yugioh.com. Retrieved October 30, 2017.
- "Nervin". www.yugioh.com. Retrieved October 30, 2017.
- "Tank". www.yugioh.com. Retrieved October 30, 2017.
- "Sly". www.yugioh.com. Retrieved October 30, 2017.
- "Bob". www.yugioh.com. Retrieved October 30, 2017.
- "Patty". www.yugioh.com. Retrieved October 30, 2017.
- "Maria Bartlet". www.yugioh.com. Retrieved October 30, 2017.
- "Zora". www.yugioh.com. Retrieved October 30, 2017.
- "Chancellor". www.yugioh.com. Retrieved October 30, 2017.
- Hikokubo, Masahiro (writing) and Masashi Sato (art). Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Volume 1. Viz Media. 206.