List of academicians educated at the United States Military Academy
The United States Military Academy (USMA) is an undergraduate college in West Point, New York that educates and commissions officers for the United States Army. This list is drawn from alumni of the Academy who became university educators or administrators, such as Dennis Hart Mahan (class of 1824), George Washington Custis Lee (class of 1854), Dwight D. Eisenhower (class of 1915), and Wesley Posvar (class of 1946).
- Note: "Class year" refers to the alumni's class year, which usually is the same year they graduated. However, in times of war, classes often graduate early.
^ a: Special Collections: Biographical Register of the Officers and Graduates of the U. S. Military Academy. West Point, NY: United States Military Academy Library. 1950.
- Inline citations
- "Prof. Horace Webster" (PDF). The New York Times. 14 July 1871. Retrieved 2009-06-06.
- "Dennis Hart Mahan". Smithsonian Institution. Retrieved 2009-06-13.
- C., J. (1868). "Obituary: Alexander Dallas Bache". Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society. Royal Astronomical Society. 28 (1): 72–75. Retrieved 2008-03-05.
- Dupuy, Trevor N.; Johnson, Curt; Bongard, David L. (1992). Harper Encyclopedia of Military Biography (1 ed.). Castle Books. p. 601. ISBN 0-7858-0437-4.
- "Commanders of the Corps of Engineers". United States Army Corps of Engineers. Archived from the original on 22 May 2009. Retrieved 2009-05-31.
- Trowbridge, W. P. (2005). Memoir of William A. Norton 1810–1883. National Academies Press. pp. 191–199.
- "Benjamin Stoddert Ewell". The New York TImes. 21 June 1894. Retrieved 2009-06-13.
- "West Point Fifty Years Ago". University of Chicago. Retrieved 2009-06-06.
- "Brigadier General Montgomery C. Meigs". Army Quartermaster Corps. Archived from the original on 10 June 2010. Retrieved 2009-06-14.
- Wise, Jennings Cropper (1915). The Military History of the Virginia Military Institute from 1839 to 1865. Lynchburg, VA: J. P. Bell Company, Inc. pp. 55–56. Retrieved 2009-06-13.
- "Bushrod Johnson". National Park Service. Retrieved 2009-06-14.
- "Josiah Gorgas (1818-1883)". Smithsonian Institution. Retrieved 2009-09-28.
- "About Us". Harvard School of Engineering and Applied Sciences. Archived from the original on 14 July 2009. Retrieved 2009-06-14.
- "Daniel Harvey Hill". Civil War Home. Retrieved 2009-06-06.
- Eicher, John H.; Eicher, David J. (2001). Civil War High Commands. Stanford University Press. pp. 493–494. ISBN 0-8047-3641-3.
- Nofi, Albert A. (1995). A Civil War Treasury: Being a Miscellany of Arms and Artillery, Facts and Figures, Legends and Lore, Muses and Minstrels, Personalities and People. Da Capo Press. pp. 347–348. ISBN 0-306-80622-3.
- Eicher, John H.; Eicher, David J. (2001). Civil War High Commands. Stanford University Press. pp. 316, 517. ISBN 0-8047-3641-3.
- "Medal of Honor Recipients, Civil War (A–L)". Army Center of Military History. Retrieved 2009-04-04.
- "Civil War Medal of Honor Citations Last names starting with "H" and "I"". American Civil War. Retrieved 2009-04-03.
- Gordon, William (1914). Major-General George Washington Custis Lee. Richmond, VA: Virginia Historical Society. p. 8. Retrieved 2009-04-19.
- Wakelyn, Jon L. (1977). Biographical Dictionary of the Confederacy. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press. p. 282. ISBN 0-8371-6124-X.
- Warner, Ezra J. (1959). Baton Rouge, LA, ed. Generals in Gray: Lives of the Confederate Commanders. Louisiana State University Press. pp. 183–184, 345. ISBN 0-8071-0823-5.
- "Medal of Honor Recipients Civil War (M–Z)". Army Center of Military History. Archived from the original on 23 February 2009. Retrieved 2009-04-02.
- Tagg, Larry (1998). The Generals of Gettysburg. New York City: Savas Publishing: Da Capo Press. pp. 50–51. ISBN 1-882810-30-9. Retrieved 2009-04-11.
- "Prof. Chaplin's New Post; He will be Chancellor of the Washington University", New York Times, 30 August 1891.
- "John Wilson Ruckman". University of Illinois Alumni Association at Urbana. Retrieved 2009-06-15.
- "Biography of Dwight D. Eisenhower". The White House. The White House. Retrieved 2008-09-06.
- Bernstein, Adam (29 August 2006). "Robert McDermott; Air Force Academy Dean". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2009-04-01.
- "Schenly Plaza, Schenley Park & Environs" (PDF). University of Pittsburgh. Archived from the original (PDF) on 27 June 2010. Retrieved 2009-06-22.
- "General James R. Allen". United States Air Force. 1983. Archived from the original on 12 December 2012. Retrieved 2009-06-22.
- "Lieutenant General Charles R. Hamm". United States Air Force. Archived from the original on 12 December 2012. Retrieved 2009-06-22.
- Roch, Jessica (1 September 2005). "ST president speaks candidly". Cauldron Online. University of St. Thomas. Retrieved 2009-06-23.
- "John Mearsheimer". The Globalist. Archived from the original on 14 July 2009. Retrieved 2009-06-23.