List of active Indian military aircraft
List of active Indian military aircraft is a list of military aircraft currently in service with the Indian Armed Forces. Figures are sourced from Flight International (Flightglobal.com). For a list of Previous Aircraft used by the Indian Military see List of historical aircraft of the Indian Air Force.
Indian Air Force
|Fighter aircraft (567)|
|Sukhoi Su-30MKI|| Russia
|Air superiority fighter||Su-30MKI||194||Total 272 on order (to be delivered by 2018). All aircraft to be upgraded to "Super Sukhoi" status. Upgrades would include AESA radar among other things.|
|Mikoyan MiG-29||Soviet Union||Air superiority fighter||MiG-29 (9.12B)
|To be Upgraded to MiG-29UPG Standard.|
|HAL Tejas||India||Multirole fighter||Mark I
|8||8 delivered with 40 more on order. Total 294 Mk I and Mk II aircraft may be ordered to equip 14 squadrons to replace the MiG-21 and MiG-27 fleets.|
|Dassault Mirage 2000||France||Multirole fighter||M2000H
|49||59 Mirage 2000's including 10 trainers were acquired. The current fleet of 49 will be upgraded to Mirage 2000-5 Mk2 standard between 2011 and 2020.|
|Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-21|| Soviet Union
|254||125 Upgraded Bisons to be phased out by 2025. Mig-21 FL was phased out in December 2013.|
|Ground-attack aircraft (227)|
|Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-27 Bahadur||Soviet Union||Ground-attack aircraft||MiG-27ML||79||To be phased out by 2017.|
|SEPECAT Jaguar|| France
|Undergoing upgrades to prolong service life.|
|Transport aircraft (228)|
|C-17 Globemaster||United States||Strategic transport||Globemaster III||5||5 more on order.|
|Ilyushin Il-76 Candid||Soviet Union||Strategic transport||Il-76MD||17|
|C-130J Super Hercules||United States||Tactical transport||C-130J||6||6 more ordered in December 2013.|
|Hawker Siddeley HS 748|| United Kingdom
|Tactical transport||HS 748-100||58||To be replaced under a $2.4 billion program.|
|Antonov An-32 Cline||Soviet Union||Light tactical transport||An-32||96||A light, short ranged tactical transport. Currently being upgraded in Ukraine to prolong service life.|
|Boeing 737||United States||Airliner (passenger)||B 737-200||4||One 737-200 ADV and Three 737-700 BBJ1 used for VIP transport|
|Dornier Do 228|| Germany
|Utility transport||Do 228-201||40|
|IAI Astra 1125||Israel||VIP transport||1125 Astra||2|
|Special-mission aircraft (14)|
|Beriev A-50 Phalcon|| Israel
|Airborne early warning & control||A-50E/I||3||2 more on order.|
|EMB-145 AEWCS|| Brazil
|Airborne early warning & control||1||3 ordered, with one delivered. Undergoing testing by DRDO and IAF. All 3 expected to be in service by 2015.|
|Ilyushin Il-78 MKI||Russia[Note 2]||Aerial refueling||IL-78MKI||7|
|Gulfstream III||United States||Reconnaissance||IV SRA-4||3|
|Training aircraft (179)|
|BAE Hawk|| United Kingdom
|Trainer aircraft||Hawk 132||70||53 more on order.|
|HAL HJT-16 Kiran||India||Trainer aircraft||HJT-16
|81||To be phased out by 2017.|
|Pilatus PC-7||Switzerland||Trainer aircraft||Mk II||28||75 ordered, with a possible order for another 37, and a follow up order of an additional 100.|
|HAL HPT-32 Deepak||India||Trainer aircraft||Current fleet of around 70 aircraft grounded. Being replaced by Pilatus PC-7 trainer aircraft, of which 75 have been ordered.|
|HAL Rudra||India||Attack helicopter||ALH-WSI||4||Total of 16 on order.|
|HAL Light Combat Helicopter||India||Attack helicopter||LCH||2||65 on order.|
|Mil Mi-35 Hind-E||Soviet Union||Military helicopter||Mi-35||20||Will be replaced by 22 Boeing AH-64 Apache attack helicopters.|
|Soviet Union||Transport helicopter||Mi-8
|187||19 Mi-17V5 delivered by February 2014, of the total 59 ordered for the Air Force in December 2012.|
|Mil Mi-26 Halo||Soviet Union||Transport helicopter||Mi-26||3||Will be complemented by Boeing CH-47 Chinook of which 15 is being ordered.|
|AgustaWestland AW101||Italy||Transport helicopter||AW101||3||12 originally planned, however deal was cancelled in January 2014 due to corruption charges.|
|HAL Dhruv||India||Utility helicopter||Dhruv||47||65 more on order.|
|HAL Cheetah|| France
|Utility helicopter||SA 315B
|HAL Chetak|| France
Army Aviation Corps (India)
|HAL Rudra||India||Attack helicopter||ALH-WSI||20||Total of 60 on order, first 20 to be delivered by 2013.|
|HAL Light Combat Helicopter||India||Attack helicopter||LCH||114 on order.|
|HAL Lancer|| France
|Light attack helicopter||12||Developed from HAL Cheetah.|
|Mi-17V Hip||Soviet Union||Transport Helicopter||6|
|HAL Dhruv||India||Utility helicopter||64||160 on order.|
|HAL Chetak|| France
|Utility helicopter||SA 316B Chetak||60||To be replaced.|
|HAL Cheetah|| France
|Utility helicopter||SA 315B Cheetah
|48||To be replaced. 22 HAL Cheetal on order|
Indian Coast Guard
|Fixed-wing aircraft (38)|
|Dornier Do 228|| India
|Maritime surveillance, search and rescue||Do 228-101||38||By 31 July 2013.|
|HAL Dhruv||India||Utility helicopter||9|
|HAL Chetak|| India
Unmanned Aerial Vehicles
Note: The Indian Armed Forces operate a number of Unmanned aerial vehicles split between the three service branches.
|Unmanned aerial vehicles|
|IAI Harpy||Israel||Unmanned combat air vehicle||A small UCAV that homes into enemy radar emissions - destroying both itself and the enemy radar. In service with Indian Air Force.|
|IAI Harop||Israel||Unmanned combat air vehicle||10||A small UCAV that homes into enemy radar emissions - destroying both itself and the enemy radar. In service with Indian Air Force.|
|IAI Heron||Israel||Unmanned aerial vehicle||Heron I
|50+||In service with Indian Air Force and Indian Navy. 15 more ordered in December 2013.|
|DRDO Lakshya||India||Target drone||39||A small target drone in service with the Indian Air Force and Indian Navy.|
|DRDO Nishant||India||Unmanned aerial vehicle||12+||In service with the Indian Army.|
|IAI Searcher||Israel||Unmanned aerial vehicle||Searcher II
|100+||In service with the Indian Army.|
- List of historical aircraft of the Indian Air Force
- Currently active military equipment by country
- Military of India
- Indian Air Force
- Indian Naval Air Arm
- Future of the Indian Air Force
- "World Air Forces 2014". Flightglobal.com
- Hackett, James (2013). The Military Balance 2013, Chapter 6 - Asia. Oxfordshire: Routledge, IISS. p. 301. ISBN 978-1857436808. As of March 2013.
- "Russia tests upgraded MiG fighter jet for India | Defense | RIA Novosti". En.rian.ru. 4 February 2010. Retrieved 2012-12-13.
- "Tejas Fires Missile, Clears Final Test; Big Step in Bangalore on December 20". The New Indian Express. 8 December 2013. Retrieved 9 December 2013.
- "Tejas LCA sprints towards IAF's frontline squadron". Business Standard. 9 December 2013. Retrieved 9 December 2013.
- Shukla, Ajai (11 February 2014). "IAF will buy 14 Tejas squadrons, lowering costs". Business Standard. Retrieved 13 February 2014.
- "First upgraded Mirage fighter for IAF undergoes flight test". brahmand.com. 27 October 2013. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Fighters - Mirage to Rafale". SP's Aviation. February 2013. Retrieved 28 July 2013.
- "India approves $2.4 billion French Mirage jet upgrade". Dawn. 2011-07-14. Retrieved 2013-07-27.
- "MIG-21 Aircraft". PIB. 17 December 2013. Retrieved 31 December 2013.
- "IAF Transformation: Happening but delay on MMRCA is worrying". India Strategic. October 2013. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- "IAF planning to phase out MiG-27 combat planes by 2017". Indian Express. 2 October 2012. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- Achievements of Ministry of Defence During the Year 2013 (Dec 19, 2013)
- "India to buy 6 more Lockheed Martin C-130J Super Hercules transport planes for its Air Force". December 23, 2013.
- "India clears $2.4 billion plan to buy cargo planes for Air Force". Daily News & Analysis. 24 July 2012. Retrieved 24 July 2012.
- "Boeing 737". Bharat Rakshak. Retrieved 3 September 2013.
- "IAF - Our strength". Indian Air Force. Retrieved 3 September 2013.
- "Second Brazilian plane with Indian AEW&C System flown". The Hindu. 5 April 2012. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- "Second Embraer Plane with Indian AEW&C Tested Successfully". Defence Now. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- "Aero India 2013: IAF aims to conquer the skies". India Today. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- "Indian Navy receives first Hawk Jet Trainer". The Hindu Business Line. 23 September 2013. Retrieved 11 October 2013.
- "Pilatus PC-7 gives boost to IAF Academy". The Hindu. 13 December 2013. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- Pilatus joins IAF pilot training squad
- "First batch of Mi-17 V-5 helicopters delivered to India". IndRus.in. 13 February 2014. Retrieved 13 February 2014.
- Nothing But The Very Ancient For India - Strategypage.com, 15 March 2013
- "Indian military aviation 2012 OrBat". Milaviapress.com. Retrieved 2012-12-13.
- Navy receives first of P-8I maritime surveillance aircraft
- "Navy Inducts Boeing Poseidon-8I to Tighten Coastal Security". May 16, 2013.
- "Boeing Delivers 2nd P-8I Maritime Patrol Aircraft (MPA) to Indian Navy". November 15, 2013.
- "Indian Navy Commissions First Advanced Light Helicopter (Dhruv) Squadron". November 12, 2013.
- "Army gets attack helicopters as India eyes China threat". NDTV.com. Retrieved 2012-12-13.
- Upgraded HAL Cheetal Helicopters for Indian Army - Armedforces-International.com, 19 December 2012
- "Coastguard inducts fourth Dornier for coastal surveillance". PTI. 31 July 2013. Retrieved 2 August 2013.
- "Hindustan Aeronautics Limited delivers 'Lakshya-1' aircraft to Bharat Dynamics Limited". Indian Express. 27 July 2013. Retrieved 3 August 2013.
- International Institute for Strategic Studies; Hackett, James (ed.) (3 February 2010). The Military Balance 2010. London: Routledge. ISBN 1857435575.