List of active separatist movements in South America
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This is a list of currently active separatist movements in South America. Separatism includes autonomism and secessionism. What is and is not considered an autonomist or secessionist movement is sometimes contentious. Entries on this list must meet three criteria:
- They are active movements with living, active members.
- They are seeking greater autonomy or self-determination for a geographic region (as opposed to personal autonomy).
- They are the citizen/peoples of the conflict area and not comes from other country.
Under each region listed is one or more of the following:
- De facto state: for regions with de facto autonomy from the government
- Proposed state: proposed name for a seceding sovereign state
- Proposed autonomous area: for movements toward greater autonomy for an area but not outright secession
- De facto autonomous government: for governments with de facto autonomous control over a region
- Government-in-exile: for a government based outside of the region in question, with or without control
- Political party (or parties): for political parties involved in a political system to push for autonomy or secession
- Militant organisation(s): for armed organisations
- Advocacy group(s): for non-belligerent, non-politically participatory entities
- Ethnic/Ethno-religious/Racial/Regional/Religious group (s): for information on what group of people calls for change for each individual movement listed
- Proposed State: es:Wallmapu
- Proposed State: Republic of Santa Cruz
- Pressure Group: Santa Cruz Youth Union
- Proposition: Independence of Santa Cruz from Bolivia, or receiving greater autonomy.
- Proposed state: Pernambuco
- Pressure Group: GEAPI - Grupo de Estudo e Avaliação Pernambuco Independente (Independent Pernambuco Study and Evaluation Group)
- Proposition: To separate Pernambuco from Brazil and create the Republic of Pernambuco once the mentioned state was already a Republic (the first of Portuguese language) in 1817 and seeks once again its political, economic and social independence of Brazil.
- Proposed state: São Paulo
- Pressure Groups: Free Sao Paulo, Movimento República de São Paulo, Movimento São Paulo Independente.
- Proposition: To separate the São Paulo state from Brazil, creating The Republic of São Paulo. To organize and promote free debate and studies on the degree of autonomy of the State of São Paulo in the Brazilian federation and the current model of federalism in Brazil, as well as on the implementation of a new model of the Confederate States, and discuss foster actions aimed at bringing the public discussion of the federation, to foster growth stock elements of the typical culture São Paulo, organize debates and events on the political representation of the State of São Paulo in the current model of federation, among other actions.
- Proposed state: Sul
- Proposed State: es:Wallmapu
- Proposed state: San Andrés y Providencia
- Proposed state: French Guiana
- Pressure groups: Decolonization and Social Emancipation Movement
- Proposition: Independence of Guiana from France, or becoming an overseas territory of France.
- Proposed state: Zulia
- "Movimento República de São Paulo". Movimento República de São Paulo. Retrieved 2011-04-10.