The National Football League (NFL) is a professional American football league, which as of the end of its 2022 season, consists of 32 teams. These teams are divided equally between the National Football Conference (NFC) and the American Football Conference (AFC), and both conferences contain four divisions with four teams each. Since its formation in 1920, as the American Professional Football Association (APFA), NFL game results have been recorded. Games in the NFL can either end with a winner and a loser, or the two teams can tie. Ties are registered as a half-win and a half-loss when calculating the win–loss percentage.
One of only two charter members of the NFL still in existence, the Chicago Bears have played the most games (1,452) and recorded the most ties (42) in NFL regular season history. Their NFC North divisional rivals, the Green Bay Packers have recorded the most wins (790) in NFL history. The league's other still-active charter member, the Arizona Cardinals, have recorded the most regular season losses (790), through the end of the 2022 season. The Dallas Cowboys hold the highest regular season win–loss percentage (.574), with a 550–408–6 record through the end of the 2022 season. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers maintain the lowest regular season win–loss percentage (.404), holding a 299–442–1 record through 2022. Being the most-recently founded franchise in the NFL, the Houston Texans have recorded the fewest games played (338) and wins (142). The Baltimore Ravens have recorded the fewest losses (190). Through the end of the 2022 regular season, the Jacksonville Jaguars are the only team yet to record a tie.
Following the regular season, teams that won their respective divisions, in addition to three wild card teams determined by a conference's next best three teams—regardless of division—qualify for the league's postseason, called the playoffs.[a] Ties cannot occur in the playoffs. The Dallas Cowboys have played in the most playoff games (65), through the end of 2022–23 NFL Wild Card round. The New England Patriots have the most playoff wins (37) and the highest playoff win–loss percentage (.627), with a 37–22 record, as of the end of the same Wild Card round. The New England Patriots have recorded the most playoff losses (31), whereas the New England Patriots have the lowest playoff win–loss percentage (.350), holding a 7–13 record. The Houston Texans have the fewest games played (10), wins (4), and losses (6) in NFL playoff history.
The NFL officially counts and includes the statistical records logged by teams that played in the American Football League (AFL) as part of NFL history. Therefore, these teams' pre-merger win–loss records are accounted for. However, the NFL does not officially count All-America Football Conference statistics, despite the 1950 NFL–AAFC merger.[b]
|Best win–loss record in division|
|Rank||Team||GP||Won||Lost||Tied||Pct.||First NFL season||Division|
|1||Dallas Cowboys||981||562||413||6||.576||1960||NFC East|
|2||Green Bay Packers||1,435||798||599||38||.569||1921||NFC North|
|3||Baltimore Ravens||451||253||197||1||.562||1996||AFC North|
|4||New England Patriots||983||545||429||9||.559||1960||AFC East|
|5||Kansas City Chiefs||990||541||437||12||.553||1960||AFC West|
|6||Chicago Bears||1,469||789||637||42||.552||1920||NFC North|
|7||Miami Dolphins||899||494||401||4||.552||1966||AFC East|
|8||Minnesota Vikings||976||532||433||11||.551||1961||NFC North|
|9||San Francisco 49ers[b]||1,101||587||500||14||.540||1950||NFC West|
|10||Pittsburgh Steelers||1,271||670||579||22||.536||1933||AFC North|
|11||New York Giants||1,404||724||645||35||.528||1925||NFC East|
|12||Indianapolis Colts[c]||1,065||551||505||9||.522||1953||AFC South|
|13||Denver Broncos||983||505||468||10||.519||1960||AFC West|
|14||Las Vegas Raiders||983||503||469||11||.517||1960||AFC West|
|15||Seattle Seahawks||759||392||366||1||.517||1976||NFC West|
|16||Los Angeles Rams||1,234||609||604||21||.502||1937||NFC West|
|17||Los Angeles Chargers||983||502||499||11||.501||1960||AFC West|
|18||Philadelphia Eagles||1,284||627||633||27||.498||1933||NFC East|
|19||Washington Commanders||1,301||633||638||30||.498||1932||NFC East|
|20||Tennessee Titans||983||477||500||6||.488||1960||AFC South|
|21||Buffalo Bills||981||475||498||8||.488||1960||AFC East|
|22||Cleveland Browns[b][d]||1,053||508||534||11||.488||1950||AFC North|
|23||Carolina Panthers||467||219||247||1||.470||1995||NFC South|
|24||New Orleans Saints||885||410||470||5||.466||1967||NFC South|
|25||Cincinnati Bengals||869||397||467||5||.460||1968||AFC North|
|26||Detroit Lions||1,332||588||710||34||.454||1930||NFC North|
|27||New York Jets||983||428||547||8||.439||1960||AFC East|
|28||Atlanta Falcons||899||390||503||6||.437||1966||NFC South|
|29||Arizona Cardinals||1,429||585||803||41||.424||1920||NFC West|
|30||Jacksonville Jaguars||467||197||269||0||.423||1995||AFC South|
|31||Houston Texans||355||145||208||2||.411||2002||AFC South|
|32||Tampa Bay Buccaneers||759||307||451||1||.405||1976||NFC South|
The following is a listing of all 32 current National Football League (NFL) teams ranked by their playoff win–loss percentage, accurate as of the end of the 2022-23 Playoffs.
|Best win–loss record in division||Team active in playoffs|
|1||New England Patriots||59||37||22||.627||2021||AFC East|
|2||San Francisco 49ers||59||36||23||.610||2022||NFC West|
|3||Green Bay Packers||61||36||25||.590||2021||NFC North|
|Baltimore Ravens||28||16||12||.571||2022||AFC North|
|Pittsburgh Steelers||63||36||27||.571||2021||AFC North|
|6||Las Vegas Raiders||45||25||20||.556||2021||AFC West|
|7||Denver Broncos||42||23||19||.548||2015||AFC West|
|8||Dallas Cowboys||66||36||30||.545||2022||NFC East|
|9||Washington Commanders||43||23||20||.535||2020||NFC East|
|10||Carolina Panthers||17||9||8||.529||2017||NFC South|
|Tampa Bay Buccaneers||22||11||11||.500||2022||NFC South|
|Jacksonville Jaguars||16||8||8||.500||2022||AFC South|
|Kansas City Chiefs||42||21||21||.500||2022||AFC West|
|14||Los Angeles Rams||53||26||27||.491||2021||NFC West|
|Philadelphia Eagles||51||25||26||.490||2022||NFC East|
|New York Giants||51||25||26||.490||2022||NFC East|
|17||New York Jets||25||12||13||.480||2010||AFC East|
|18||Indianapolis Colts||48||23||25||.479||2020||AFC South|
|19||Miami Dolphins||42||20||22||.476||2022||AFC East|
|20||Buffalo Bills||38||18||20||.474||2022||AFC East|
|21||Seattle Seahawks||36||17||19||.472||2022||NFC West|
|22||Chicago Bears||37||17||20||.459||2020||NFC North|
|23||New Orleans Saints||23||10||13||.435||2020||NFC South|
|24||Tennessee Titans||39||17||23||.425||2021||AFC South|
|25||Atlanta Falcons||24||10||14||.417||2017||NFC South|
|26||Arizona Cardinals||17||7||10||.412||2021||NFC West|
|27||Minnesota Vikings||52||21||31||.404||2022||NFC North|
|28||Houston Texans||10||4||6||.400||2019||AFC South|
|29||Los Angeles Chargers||31||12||19||.387||2022||AFC West|
|30||Cincinnati Bengals||26||10||16||.385||2022||AFC North|
|31||Cleveland Browns||33||12||21||.364||2020||AFC North|
|32||Detroit Lions||20||7||13||.350||2016||NFC North|
- These parameters to qualify for the NFL playoffs have been in place since the 2020 NFL season.
- The exclusion of AAFC win–loss records affects the Cleveland Browns and the San Francisco 49ers. Therefore, the Browns' regular season win–loss record does not include a 47–4–3 record compiled in the All-America Football Conference from 1946 to 1949, nor does their playoff record include the 5–0 record compiled during the same period. Likewise, the 49ers' AAFC regular season win–loss record of 38–14–2, nor their 1–1 AAFC playoff record are officially counted.
- The Indianapolis Colts' win–loss records include their time as the Baltimore Colts, but the original Baltimore Colts of the AAFC are considered as a separate franchise.
- The NFL considers the current Browns franchise as having been established in 1946, joining the NFL in 1950, suspending operations from 1996 through 1998, and then resuming play as an expansion team in 1999. The Cleveland Browns relocated to Baltimore and were rebranded as the Ravens in 1996; however, the Baltimore Ravens are officially considered a 1996 expansion franchise in terms of team history and records.
- "Chicago Bears Team History". profootballhof.com. Retrieved January 5, 2021.
- "Chicago Bears Franchise Encyclopedia". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved January 5, 2021.
- "Chicago/St. Louis/Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals Franchise Encyclopedia". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved January 5, 2021.
- "Dallas Cowboys Franchise Encyclopedia". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved January 9, 2023.
- "New England Patriots Franchise Encyclopedia". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved January 5, 2021.
- "Houston Texans Franchise Encyclopedia". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved January 5, 2021.
- "Baltimore Ravens Franchise Encyclopedia". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved January 5, 2021.
- "Jacksonville Jaguars Franchise Encyclopedia". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved January 5, 2021.
- Brown, Daniel; Emmons, Mark (November 8, 2011). "49ers great Joe Perry and the stats that don't count". San Jose Mercury Times. Retrieved January 14, 2016.
- "List of all the Pro Football Franchises". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Sports Reference. Retrieved January 13, 2023.