Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Thyateira and Great Britain
|Archdiocese of Thyateira and Great Britain|
The Archdiocese of Thyateira and Great Britain is an Archdiocese of the Eastern Orthodox Church, part of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople. Its present[when?] head is Archbishop Gregorios Theocharous. Its jurisdiction covers those Orthodox Christians living in Great Britain, the Republic of Ireland, the Isle of Man, and the Channel Islands. The adherents are largely of Cypriot Greek descent, some mainland Greek migrants and their descendants, and more recently English converts along with a few Poles and Belarusians. The Archbishop Gregorios himself is a Cypriot whose ancestral village of Marathovounos in the district of Famagusta is occupied by the Turkish army. The Archdiocese is based at Thyateira House, in the Bayswater district of London.
Archbishops of Thyateira and Great Britain
Several archbishops have served the diocese since 1922 including:
- Germanos Strenopoulos (1922—1951)
- Athenagoras Kavadas (1951—1962)
- Athenagoras Kokkinakis (1963—1979)
- Methodios Fouiyas (1979—1988)
- Archbishop Gregorios Theocharous (from 1988)
Parishes and monasteries
As of 2017[update] there are 108 parishes and monasteries in the UK including:
- Greek Orthodox Church of St Nicholas, Toxteth Liverpool
- Birmingham Orthodox Cathedral
- Patriarchal Stavropegic Monastery of St. John the Baptist, Essex
- St Mary's Greek Orthodox Church, Wood Green
- St Sophia's Cathedral, London
- Greek Orthodox Church of the Virgin Mary Eleousa, Nottingham
- Greek Orthodox Church of the Annunciation, Manchester
- THEOCHAROUS, Archbishop Gregorios (His Eminence The Most Rev. Gregorios). ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who. 1992 (online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. (subscription required)
- "Archdiocese of Thyateira and Great Britain". thyateira.org.uk.
- Kiminas, Demetrius (2009). The Ecumenical Patriarchate: A History of Its Metropolitanates with Annotated Hierarch Catalogs. Wildside Press LLC.
|This Eastern Orthodox Christianity-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|