List of arrested journalists in Turkey
231 journalists have been arrested after July 15, 2016 alone.  According to Sweden-based advocacy group Stockholm Center for Freedom that tracks cases of prosecutions of Turkish journalists, in the year 2018, 122 journalists received a jail sentence.
List of arrested journalists
This article needs to be updated.December 2014)(
The following is a non-exhaustive list of arrested journalists in Turkey: A new updated and searchable list of jailed journalists is compiled by Stockholm Center for Freedom which stated that 165 journalists were arrested, 75 convicted and 148 wanted as of 30 December 2018.
|Name||Media||Position||Date arrested||Status||Background info|
|Abdulcebbar Karabeğ||Azadiya Welat||correspondent in Mersin||2010-09-26||Released on 2012-11-02 ||detained at the closed prison of Hatay|
|Abdullah Çetin||Dicle Haber Ajansı||correspondent in Kurtalan||2011-12-16||Released on 2014-06-25||detained at the D-Type prison in Diyarbakır|
|Abdullah Civan||Today's Zaman||2016-9-2||Convicted on 2017-5-26||convicted to 10 years and 5 months, detained in Izmir|
|Abdullah Kılıç||Meydan||correspondent||2016-07-25||Convicted and jailed pending trial||Sentenced to 6 years and 3 months on 8 March 2018. Imprisoned in the Silivri prison, İstanbul |
|Abdülkader Civan||Today's Zaman||2016-09-02||Convicted||Sentenced to 10 years and 5 months on the 26 May 2017|
|Ahmet Altan||Taraf||journalist||2016-09-10||Convicted/Jailed Pending Appeal||Accused of spreading subliminal messages announcing the military coup. Sentenced to life in prison with solitary confinement in 2018.|
|Ahmet Akyol||Dicle Haber Ajansı||correspondent in Adana||2011-05-09||Released on 2012-11-06||Was detained at the M-Type prison in Ceyhan, Adana|
|Ahmet Birsin||Gün TV||general coordinator||2009-04-14||Convicted||Sentenced to 21 years for administrating a terrorist organization in March 2017|
|Ahmet Böken||TRT||2016-08-18||Convicted||Sentenced to 9 years and 9 months in prison.|
|Ahmet Torun||TRT||Sentenced to 7 years and 5 months in prison.|
|Ali Konar||Azadiya Welat||correspondent in Elazig||2010-05-27||Convicted||Sentenced to 7 years and 6 months on 22 October 2015|
|Ali Özparun||TRT||jailed pending trial|
|Ali Ünal||Yeni Hayat||2016-08-16||Convicted on the 2018-11-14, pending trial||Sentenced to 19 years and 6 months, detained in the F Type prison Buca Kırıklar|
|Arif Çelebi||Released on 2014-05-08 ||detained during 7 years and 8 months|
|Aykut Yildir||TRT||jailed pending trial|
|Ayşe Oyman||Özgür Gündem||editor||2011-12-24||Released on 2014-03-03||detained at the L-Type women prison in Bakırköy, Istanbul|
|Aytekin Gezici||Seyhan Belediyesi||2016-08-26||detained pending appeal||sentenced to 9 years in prison on the 16 February 2018|
|Aziz Tekin||Azadiya Welat||correspondent in Mardin||2012-01-29||Arrested||detained at the E-Type prison in Mardin|
|Bayram Kaya||Yeni Hayat||2016-07-29||Arrested, jailed pending trial||sentenced to 6 years and 3 months on the 8 March 2018|
|Bayram Namaz||Atılım||writer||2006-09-10||Released on 2014-05-08 ||detained during 7 years and 8 months at the F-Type prison in Edirne|
|Bedri Adanır||Aram Yayınları, Hawar||general director||2010-01-08||Released on 2012-11-27 ||detained during 689 days at the D-Type prison in Diyarbakır|
|Cengiz Kapmaz||Özgür Gündem||writer||2011-11-26||Convicted|
|Cengiz Dogan||Azadiya Welat||2009-04-20||Convicted||Sentenced to 17 years and 1 month in prison.|
|Çağdaş Kaplan||Dicle Haber Ajansı||correspondent in Istanbul||2011-12-20||Released on 2013-02-11||detained at the F-Type prison in Kandira|
|2016-08-06||Convicted||Sentenced to 6 years 3 months imprisonment on 8 March 2018|
|Davut Uçar||Etik Ajans||director||2011-12-24||Arrested||detained at the F-Type prison in Kandira|
|Deniz Yıldırım||Aıdinlik||Chief editor||2009-11-09||Released in March 2014||sentenced for leaking a phone conversation of Erdogan to the media|
|Deniz Yücel||Die Welt, taz||journalist||2017-02-14||Released on 2018-02-16||jailed in Istanbul|
|Derek Stoffel||CBC News||journalist||2013-06-12||Released on 2013-06-12 |
|Dilşah Ercan||Azadiya Welat||correspondent in Mersin||2011-12-24||Arrested||detained at the M-Type prison in Ceyhan, Adana|
|Dilek Demiral||Özgür Gündem||journalist||2010-09-26||Released on 2014-03-03||detained at the L-Type women prison in Bakırköy, Istanbul|
|Ebru Umar||Metro, Libelle||journalist, writer, columnist||2016-04-23||(Partly) released on 2016-04-24||Dutch journalist, arrested because of insulting Turkish president Erdoğan. Umar is prohibited to leave Turkey for the Netherlands awaiting further investigation.|
|Eda Akıllı Şanlı||Bizim Antalya||columnist||2016-07-25||Released pending trial the 2016-12-18|
|Ekrem Dumanlı||Zaman Gazetesi||general director||2014-12-14||Released on 2014-12-19|
|Emre Soncan||Zaman||correspondent||2016-07-24||Convicted, jailed pending trial||sentenced to 10 years and 5 months on 10 April 2018|
|Enis Berberoğlu||Zaman||14 June 2017||Released on 20 September 2018||Sentenced to 25 years on 14 June 2017, the sentence was lowered to 5 years and 10 months on 13 February 2018. Released until the end of his term as MP of the Turkish Parliament.|
|Erdal Süsem||Eylül||editor||2010-02-10||Convicted||Convicted to life in prison|
|Erol Zavar||Odak||director||2007-01-20||Arrested||detained at the F-Type prison in Sincan, Ankara|
|Ertuğ Bozkurt||Dicle Haber Ajansı||editor||2011-12-24||Arrested||detained at the F-Type prison in Kandira|
|Fatih Özgür Aydın||2011-07-25||Arrested|
|Fatma Koçak||Dicle Haber Ajansı||director||2011-12-24||Arrested||detained at the L-Type women prison in Bakırköy, Istanbul|
|Faysal Tunç||Dicle Haber Ajansı||correspondent in Sirnak||2007-04-05||Convicted||Sentenced twice to 6 years and 3 months|
|Ferhat Çiftçi||Azadiya Welat||correspondent in Gaziantep||2011-02-16||Arrested||detained at the H-Type women prison in Gaziantep|
|Füsun Erdoğan||Özgür Radyo||general coordinator||2006-09-10||Released on 2014-05-08 ||detained during 7 years and 8 months at the T-Type prison in Kandira|
|Gülnaz Yıldız||Mücadele Birliği||2012-04-26||Convicted||Sentenced to 3 years and 9 months in prison|
|Gülsen Aslan||Dicle Haber Ajansı||correspondent in Batman||2012-02-20||Released on 2012-10-15||detained at the M-Type prison in Batman|
|Habip Güler||Zaman||correspondent||2016-07-25||Convicted, jailed pending trial||sentenced to 6 years and 3 months on 8 March 2018. Detained in Silivri Prison.|
|Hakan Soytemiz||2010-09-25||Released on 2012-09-24|
|Halil İbrahim Balta||Zaman, Yarına Bakış||correspondent||2016-07-25||Convicted, jailed pending trial||sentenced to 6 years and 3 months on 8 March 2018|
|Hanim Büşra Erdal||Yeni Hayat||2016-07-29||Convicted, jailed pending trial||sentenced to 6 years and 3 months on 8 March 2018|
|Hamit Dilbahar||Azadiya Welat||writer||2010-02-13||Convicted||Sentenced to 16 years imprisonment.|
|Hamza Güneri Gök||TRT||2017-01-30||Convicted||Sentenced to 6 years and 3 months on the 26 February 2019.|
|Hasan Özgüneş||Azadiya Welat||writer||2011-10-28||Arrested||detained at the F-Type prison in Kandira|
|Hatice Duman||Atılım||director||2003-04-01||Convicted||sentenced to life imprisonment. Detained at the M-Type prison in Gebze|
|Hayati Yildiz||Azadiya Welat||2017-03-01||Released pending trial||Released pending trial 20 September 2017|
|Hidayet Karaca||Samanyolu TV||owner||2014-12-14||Convicted||sentenced to 31 years imprisonment on 3 November 2017.|
|Hüseyin Deniz||Evrensel||correspondent||2011-12-24||Released on 2014-03-27||detained at the F-Type prison in Kandira|
|İlker İlkan||Azadiya Welat||2016-09-09||Released pending trial||Released 12 October 2017|
|Ismail Yıldız||Dersim||director||2011-12-24||Released on 2013-02-11||detained at the F-Type prison in Kandira|
|Kadri Gürsel||Cumhuriyet||journalist||2016-10||Released on 2017-09-25||He was accused, together with other Cumhuriyet staff, in the case on terrorism charges, with the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK), the Revolutionary People’s Liberation Party-Front (DHKP-C), and the Fethullahist Organization (FETÖ) among the groups named in the indictments.|
|Kamuran Sunbat||Dicle Haber Ajansı||correspodent||11-09-2011||Arrested||the former Cukurova correspondent of the pro-Kurdish Dicle News Ajansi (DiHA), was arrested in 2011. He was convicted over alleged links to outlawed Kurdish militant groups and is currently serving a sentence of 11 years, 11 months in prison. |
|Kenan Baş||Zaman||correspondent||2016-07-25||Released on 29 March 2017, pending trial|
|Kenan Karavil||Radyo Dünya||general director||2009-12-11||Released on 2010-10-22||detained at the F-Type prison in Kürkçüler, Adana|
|Kenan Kırkaya||Dicle Haber Ajansı||correspondent in Ankara||2011-12-24||Released on 2014-03-27||detained at the F-Type prison in Kandira|
|Mazlum Dolan||Dicle Haber Ajansı||correspondent in Diyarbakır||2016-02-19||Released pending trial||released after serving 15 months in Diyarbakir Prison|
|Mazlum Özdemir||Dicle Haber Ajansı||editor||2011-12-24||Released on 2014-03-27||detained at the F-Type prison in Kandira|
|Mediha Olgun||Sözcü||2017-05-26||Released pending trial||Released pending trial 22 September 2017|
|Mehmet Akif Öztürk||TRT||2019-02-26||Sentenced to 8 years and 9 months in prison|
|Mehmet Anıl||Etkin Haber||2016-10-07||Released pending trial the 2016-12-14|
|Mehmet Baransu||Taraf||correspondent and columnist||2015-03-02||detained at the Metris Prison|
|Mehmet Dener||2016-07-22||Released pending trial 2017-03-24|
|Mehmet Emin Yıldırım||Azadiya Welat||general director||2011-12-24||Released on 2014-03-27||detained at the F-Type prison in Kandira|
|Mehmet Güneş||Türkiye Gerçeği||writer||???-??-??||Released on 2012-10-05 ||detained during 310 days at the F-Type Tekirdağ number 2 prison|
|Mehmet Haberal||Kanal B||owner||2009-04-17||Arrested|
|Mehmet Yeşiltepe||Devrimci Hareket||writer||2009-04-30||Arrested||detained at the F-Type prison in Tekirdağ|
|Miktat Algül||Mersin Mezitli FM (radio) and Ulus Newspaper||2010-05-17||Arrested||Sentenced to 60 years and 5 months in prison.|
|Murat Aksoy||journalist||2017-04||Released on 2017-10-25||Jailed pending trial over suspected links to the FETÖ media network. He was accused of "being a member of a terror group" and of "participating in a coup attempt."|
|Murat Öztürk||Çorum Manşet||2016-08-21||Released pending trial||Released pending trial 16 May 2017|
|Musa Kart||Yürüyüş||2012-09-18||Arrested||detained in Silivri Prison|
|Mustafa Balbay||Cumhuriyet||correspondent in Ankara||2009-03-06||Released on 2013-12-09||detained at the E-type prison in Sincan, Ankara for 4 years and 277 days|
|Mustafa Gök||Ekmek ve Adalet||correspondent in Ankara||2004-02-19||Convicted||Sentenced to life in prison for attempting to change the constitutional order by force.|
|Mustafa Ünal||Yeni Hayat||2016-07-29||Convicted||Sentenced to 10 years and 6 months on 8 July 2018|
|Mümtazer Türköne||Yarına Bakış||03-08-2016||Convicted||Sentenced to 10 years 6 months on 6 July 2018|
|Nahide Ermiş||Demokratik Modernite||board member||2011-12-24||Released on 2014-01-14||detained at the L-Type women prison in Bakirköy, Istanbul|
|Nazlı Ilıcak||Bulvar, Bugün, Hurriyet||publisher, journalist||2016-07-29||Convicted/Jailed Pending Appeal||Sentenced to life in prison with solitary confinement in 2018|
|Nedim Türfent||Dicle Haber Ajansı||correspondent in Van||2016-05-12||Convicted||Sentenced to 8 years and 9 months in prison on 15 December 2017|
|Nevin Erdemir||Özgür Gündem||editor||2011-12-24||Released on 2014-03-27||detained at the L-Type women prison in Bakirköy, Istanbul|
|Nilgün Yıldız||Dicle Haber Ajansı||correspondent in Mardin||2011-12-24||Arrested||detained at the L-Type women prison in Bakirköy, Istanbul|
|Nurettin Fırat||Özgür Gündem||writer||2011-12-24||Arrested||detained at the F-Type prison in Kandira|
|Nuri Yeşil||Azadiya Welat||correspondent in Tunceli||2010-05-27||Arrested||detained at the E-Type prison in Elbistan|
|Oktay Candemir||Dicle Haber Ajansı||journalist||2011-12-24||Released on 2012-11-16||detained at the F-Type prison in Kandira|
|Olgun Matur||Bizim Antalya||owner||2016-07-25||Arrested|
|Ömer Çelik||Dicle Haber Ajansı||correspondent in Istanbul||2011-12-24||Arrested||detained at the F-Type prison in Kandira|
|Ömer Çiftçi||Demokratik Modernite||owner||2011-12-24||Released on 2013-02-11||detained at the F-Type prison in Kandira|
|Ömer Faruk Çalışkan||Özgür Halk||general director||2008-07-19||Arrested||detained at the F-Type prison in Kandira|
|Ozan Kılınç||Azadiya Welat||Editor||2010-07-22||Convicted||Sentenced to 32 years in prison.|
|Özlem Ağuş||Dicle Haber Ajansı||correspondent in Adana||2011-12-24||Arrested||detained at the women prison in Karatas, Adana|
|Pervin Yerlikaya||Dicle Haber Ajansı||correspondent in Istanbul
|2011-12-24||Released on 2013-02-11||detained at the L-Type prison in Bakirköy, Istanbul|
|Ramazan Pekgöz||Günlük||editor||2011-12-20||Released in 2014-05-12|
|Sadık Topaloğlu||Dicle Haber Ajansı||correspondent in Urfa||2011-12-24||Arrested||detained at the F-Type prison in Kandira|
|Saša Petricic||CBC News||journalist||2013-06-12||Released on 2013-06-12 |
|Selahattin Aslan||Demokratik Modernite||2011-12-24||Arrested||detained at the F-Type prison in Kandira|
|Selma Tatli||Zaman||2018-11-28||Arrested pending trial|
|Semiha Alankuş||Demokratik Modernite||2011-12-24||Released on 2014-03-27||detained at the F-Type prison in Kandira|
|Sevcan Atak||Özgür Halk||editor||2010-06-18||Arrested||Sentenced to 7 years and 6 months in prison.|
|Seyithan Akyüz||Azadiya Welat||correspondent in Adana||2009-12-11||Arrested||sentenced in 4 trials to 21 years and 9 months in total.|
|Sibel Güler||Özgür Gündem||journalist||2011-12-24||Released on 2014-03-03||detained at the L-Type women prison in Bakirköy Istanbul|
|Sinan Aygül||Dicle Haber Ajansı||correspondent in Bitlis||2011-01-23||Released on 2012-11-07||detained at the E-Type prison in Muş|
|Şirin Çoban||Azadiya Welat||2016-09-09||Released pending trial||Released on 12 October 2017|
|Soner Yalçın||OdaTV, Hürriyet||owner, journalist||2011-02-14||Released on 2012-12-27 ||detained at the L-Type prison in Silivri|
|Sultan Şaman||Hevîya Jinê||editor||2012-02-07||Arrested||detained at the M-Type prison in Batman|
|Şahabettin Demir||Dicle Haber Ajansı||correspondent in Van||2010-09-05||Convicted||Sentenced to 15 years in prison.|
|Serkan Canbaz||TRT||2016-12-30||Convicted||Sentenced to 6 years and 10 months 15 days in prison on 16 February 2019.|
|Şükrü Sak||Akıncı Yol ve Baran Dergisi||general director||2010-04-26||Arrested||detained at the E-Type prison in Sivas|
|Tayip Temel||Azadiya Welat||writer||2011-10-08||Arrested||detained at the D-Type prison in Diyarbakir|
|Tuncay Özkan||ex-Kanaltürk||owner||2008-09-27||Arrested||detained at the L-Type prison in Silivri|
|Turabi Kişin||Özgür Gündem||editor||2012-01-02||Arrested||detained at the F-Type prison in Kandira|
|Turgut Usul||TRT||presenter||2018-01-04||Arrested||jailed pending trial.|
|Turhan Özlü||Ulusal Kanal||general director||2011-10-08||Arrested||detained at the L-Type prison in Silivri|
|Ünal Tanik||Rotahaber||18-01-2017||Arrested||Sentenced to 6 years 3 months imprisonment on 8 March 2018.|
|Vedat Demir||Yarına Bakış||columnist||2016-08-03||Released on 2017-02-17||detained at the Silivri Prison|
|Yalçın Küçük||writer||2011-03-07||Arrested||detained at the L-Type prison in Silivri|
|Yüksel Genç||Özgür Gündem||writer||2011-12-24||Arrested||detained at the L-Type women prison in Bakirköy, Istanbul|
|Zehra Doğan||Jinha||journalist||2017 - March||Arrested/ released on the 24 - 02 - 2019||sentenced to 2 years 9 months and 22 days|
|Zeynep Kuray||Birgün||correspondent in Istanbul||2011-12-24
||Released on 2013-04-26||detained at the L-Type women prison in Bakirköy, Istanbul|
|Ziya Çiçekçi||Özgür Gündem||owner||2011-12-24||Released on 2013-02-11||detained at the F-Type women prison in Kandira|
|Zuhal Tekiner||Dicle Haber Ajansı||owner||2011-12-24||Released on 2013-02-11||detained at the L-Type women prison in Bakirköy, Istanbul|
Grounds for prosecution
Kemalist and / or nationalist journalists were arrested on charges referring to the Ergenekon case and several left-wing and Kurdish journalists were arrested on charges of engaging in propaganda for the PKK listed as a terrorist organization. After the corruption operation in 17/25 December 2013 and in particular after coup attempt of 15 July, the apartments of journalists were raided and sent to prison. The journalists such as Mehmet Baransu, Ece Sevim Ozturk, who were investigating the ‘ Coup attempt’, were arrested. Media organizations such as Zaman newspaper, Cihan News Agency and Samanyolu TV, which were affiliated to the Fethullah Gülen group, were confiscated. Journalists working in these institutions were imprisoned. Life imprisonment was given to journalists such as Hidayet Karaca and Ahmet Altan. With the dozens of published decrees, newspapers, TV, radio, magazine, website was closed. The legal framework on organised crime and terrorism is imprecise and contains definitions which are open to abuse, leading to numerous indictments and convictions. Moreover, its interpretation by prosecutors and courts is uneven and is not in line with the European Convention on Human Rights or the case-law of the European Court of Human Rights, according to the European Commission. No clear distinction is made between incitement to violence and the expression of nonviolent ideas. The application of Articles 6 and 7 of the Anti-Terror Law in combination with Articles 220 and 314 of the Turkish Criminal Code leads to abuses; in short, writing an article or making a speech can still lead to a court case and a long prison sentence for membership or leadership of a terrorist organisation. Together with possible pressure on the press by state officials and the threat of possible firing of critical journalists, this situation can lead to a widespread self-censorship. Frequent website bans are a cause for serious concern and there is a need to revise the law on the internet.
Most journalists are in prison based on the following laws:
- The Anti-Terror Law of Turkey (also known as Terörle Mücadele Yasası, TMY), Articles 5 and 7 relating to articles of the Criminal Code on terrorist offences and organizations or assisting members of or making propaganda in connection with such organizations, as well as the lengthening of sentences;
- The Criminal Code of Turkey (also known as Türk Ceza Kanunu, TCK), Article 314 on establishing, commanding or becoming member of an armed organization with the aim of committing certain offences.
3 types of journalists targeted
According to a report published by the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ), Turkish authorities are engaging in widespread criminal prosecution and jailing of journalists, and are applying other forms of severe pressure to promote self-censorship in the press. The CPJ has found highly repressive laws, particularly in the penal code and anti-terror law; a criminal procedure code that greatly favors the state; and a harsh anti-press tone set at the highest levels of government. Turkey’s press freedom situation has reached a crisis point. This reports mentions 3 types of journalists targeted:
- investigative and critical reporters: victims of the anti-state prosecutions : The government’s broad inquiry into the Ergenekon plot ensnared investigative reporters. But the evidence, rather than revealing conspirators, points to a government intent on punishing critical reporters.
- Kurdish journalists: Turkish authorities conflate support for the Kurdish cause with terrorism itself. When it comes to Kurdish journalists, newsgathering activities such as fielding tips, covering protests, and conducting interviews are evidence of a crime.
- collateral damages of the general assault on the press: The authorities are waging one of the world’s biggest anti-press campaigns in recent history. Dozens of writers and editors are in prison, nearly all on terrorism or other anti-state charges.
Concerns persisted over the rights of the defence, lengthy pre-trial detention and excessively long and catch-all indictments, leading to significantly enhanced public scrutiny of the legitimacy of these trials.
A report issued by the OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media describes a number of concerns concerning the case of arrested journalists in Turkey:
- Courts often impose exceptionally long imprisonment sentences. The longest conviction is 166 years and the longest jail sentence sought for a journalist is 3,000 years.
- Many journalists face double life sentences if convicted, some without possibility for parole. Courts do not tend to grant pre-trial release of defendants.
- There is concern that arrests and long pre-trial detentions without conviction are used as a form of intimidation.
- Pre-trial detentions remain very long. In some cases journalists held in prison for up to three years are still awaiting trial. Some journalists have been imprisoned for more than five years while their trial is ongoing.
- Journalists often face several trials and are often convicted for several offences. There is one journalist who faces 150 court cases.
- Media outlets reporting about sensitive issues (including terrorism or anti-government activities) are often regarded by the authorities as the publishing organs of illegal organizations. Courts often consider reporting about such issues as equal to supporting them.
- Journalists are often imprisoned in F-tipi cezaevi (F-type high security prisons), where they have to serve their time with the most dangerous criminals. It is also not uncommon to punish journalists with solitary confinement for extended time periods.
- List of prosecuted Turkish writers
- List of journalists killed in Turkey
- Censorship in Turkey
- Human rights in Turkey
- Human rights in Europe
- International Freedom of Expression Exchange
- Media freedom in Turkey
- Turkey's media purge after the failed July 2016 coup d'état
- Committee to Protect Journalists 2014 prison census: 220 journalists jailed worldwide Archived 17 December 2014 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved on October 8, 2012
- "Journalism in Jail | Turkey Purge". turkeypurge.com. Archived from the original on 13 February 2017. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- SCF (1 January 2019). "112 journalists given various jail sentences in Turkey in 2018". Stockholm Center for Freedom. Archived from the original on 4 January 2019. Retrieved 4 January 2019.
- The European Federation of Journalists List of journalists in Turkish prisons Archived 2012-09-24 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved on 8 October 2012
- Evrensel Gazeteci Karabeğ ve Çat’a tahliye Archived 2014-05-08 at the Wayback Machine, retrieved on 17 November 2012
- "KCK'den Biri Gazeteci 4 Kişiye Tahliye". Bianet. Archived from the original on 30 December 2016. Retrieved 30 December 2016.
- "Jailed and wanted Journalists in Turkey- Updated List". Stockholm Center for Freedom. Archived from the original on 21 December 2018. Retrieved 2 January 2019.
- "2016 prison census: 259 journalists jailed worldwide". Committee to Protect Journalists. Archived from the original on 31 December 2016. Retrieved 30 December 2016.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 21 December 2018. Retrieved 26 December 2018.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Shaheen, Kareem (16 February 2018). "Turkey sentences journalists to life in jail over coup attempt". The Guardian. Archived from the original on 25 June 2018. Retrieved 24 June 2018.
- "BIA Media Monitoring 2012 / Full Text". Bianet. Archived from the original on 30 December 2016. Retrieved 30 December 2016.
- Staff, Editorial (29 March 2017). "111 people sentenced to jail in main KCK case in Turkey's Kurdish region". Kurd Net - Ekurd.net Daily News. Archived from the original on 4 January 2019. Retrieved 4 January 2019.
- "Journalist Ali Konar Sentenced to over 7 Years in Jail". www.coe.int. Archived from the original on 4 January 2019. Retrieved 4 January 2019.
- Hürriyet Daily News Three journalists, including Füsun Erdoğan, released over duration of detention Archived 8 May 2014 at the Wayback Machine, retrieved on 8 May 2014
- "Turkish courts release eight journalists in two days - Committee to Protect Journalists". cpj.org. Archived from the original on 9 May 2017. Retrieved 13 May 2017.
- Bianet Bedri Adanır Özgür Archived 30 November 2012 at the Wayback Machine, retrieved on 28 November 2012
- Office of the OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media (July 2015). "Table of imprisoned journalists and examples of legislative restrictions on freedom of expression and media freedom in Turkey". OSCE. Archived from the original on 17 July 2015.
- "Kurdish journalists, media workers released in Turkey". Committee to Protect Journalists. Archived from the original on 31 December 2016. Retrieved 30 December 2016.
- "Aydınlık Chief Editor Deniz Yıldırım Freed". Anatolia Turk News. Archived from the original on 29 July 2019. Retrieved 29 July 2019.
- Oltermann, Philip (1 March 2017). "Angela Merkel urged to ban Erdoğan over jailed German journalist". Archived from the original on 1 March 2017. Retrieved 2 March 2017 – via The Guardian.
- CBC CBC News, CBC correspondents released from detention in Turkey Archived 15 June 2013 at the Wayback Machine, retrieved on 18 June 2013
- NOS Het weekend van Ebru Umar: opgepakt, vrijgelaten, maar nog niet vrij Archived 27 April 2016 at the Wayback Machine, retrieved on 1 May 2016
- "Journalists Arrested in Major Clampdown following Failed Coup in Turkey". Platform to promote the protection of journalism and safety of journalists. Archived from the original on 11 January 2019. Retrieved 10 January 2019.
- "Turkish journalist on arrest of colleagues: 'After awhile it starts to feel like a Kafka novel'". Archived from the original on 7 July 2017. Retrieved 13 May 2017.
- Williams, Yohuru (17 February 2015). "Speaking Truth to Power in Turkey: An Interview with Ekrem Dumanli". Huffington Post. Archived from the original on 14 September 2015. Retrieved 13 May 2017.
- "CHP MP Enis Berberoğlu Released". Bianet. Archived from the original on 22 September 2018.
- Avenue, Committee to Protect Journalists 330 7th; York, 11th Floor New; Ny 10001. "Turkey's Press Freedom Crisis". cpj.org. Archived from the original on 11 December 2018. Retrieved 11 January 2019.
- "34 Detention Order for 34 Former TRT Staff". Bianet. 12 July 2017. Archived from the original on 14 July 2017.
- Refugees, United Nations High Commissioner for. "Refworld | 2014 prison census - Turkey: Faysal Tunç". Refworld. Archived from the original on 5 January 2019. Retrieved 5 January 2019.
- "November 15 Day of Imprisoned Writers: 1 Poet, 2 Journalists-Writers from Turkey". Bianet. Archived from the original on 17 November 2018.
- "Journalist Receives Life-Time Imprisonment". Bianet.
- "KCK basın davasında gece yarısı tahliyesi". Cumhuriyet. Archived from the original on 30 December 2016. Retrieved 30 December 2016.
- "Turkish court releases prominent journalist Kadri Gürsel from jail". Archived from the original on 26 October 2017. Retrieved 26 October 2017.
- Luque, Javier. "Cases". Free Turkey Journalists. Retrieved 30 November 2019.
- "Adana'daki KCK davasında 2 tahliye". Hürriyet. Archived from the original on 30 December 2016. Retrieved 30 December 2016.
- Greenslade, Roy (5 March 2015). "Turkish journalist arrested over military coup scoop he wrote in 2010". The Guardian. Archived from the original on 25 February 2017. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- Bianet Devrimci Karargahta dört tahliye Archived 8 October 2012 at the Wayback Machine, retrieved on 9 October 2012
- "Istanbul court releases journalist Aksoy, singer Taş, teacher Aydın in Gülen-linked probe". Archived from the original on 26 October 2017. Retrieved 26 October 2017.
- "Mustafa Balbay serbest!". Habertürk. Archived from the original on 30 December 2016. Retrieved 30 December 2016.
- "Jailed and wanted Journalists in Turkey- Updated List". Stockholm Center for Freedom. Archived from the original on 21 December 2018. Retrieved 26 July 2019.
- "Gazeteci Ermiş Tahliye Edildi". Bianet. Archived from the original on 30 December 2016. Retrieved 30 December 2016.
- Bianet 34 tutukludan ikisine tahliye Archived 19 November 2012 at the Wayback Machine, retrieved on 16 November 2012
- Avenue, Committee to Protect Journalists 330 7th; York, 11th Floor New; Ny 10001. "Turkey must justify widespread arrests of journalists". cpj.org. Archived from the original on 11 January 2019. Retrieved 11 January 2019.
- Avenue, Committee to Protect Journalists 330 7th; York, 11th Floor New; Ny 10001. "Turkey releases five more journalists". cpj.org. Archived from the original on 11 January 2019. Retrieved 11 January 2019.
- Bianet Soner Yalçın, Imprisoned Journalist, Released Archived 15 March 2013 at the Wayback Machine, retrieved on 12 January 2013
- SCF (4 January 2018). "Turkish court sends TRT presenter Usul to prison over alleged links to Gülen movement". Stockholm Center for Freedom. Archived from the original on 26 May 2019. Retrieved 26 May 2019.
- "6 akademisyen tahliye edildi". Cumhuriyet. 17 February 2017. Archived from the original on 3 June 2017. Retrieved 2 June 2017.
- "Zeynep Kuray tahliye edildi". OdaTV. Archived from the original on 30 November 2016. Retrieved 3 June 2016.
- The European Commission Turkey Progress Report 2012 Archived 31 October 2013 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved on 11 October 2012
- Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (April 2012). "Main findings of the table of imprisoned journalists in Turkey". The Office of the Representative on Freedom of the Media. Archived from the original on 6 April 2012. Retrieved 26 October 2012.
- Committee to Protect Journalists Turkey's Press Freedom Crisis Archived 7 April 2016 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved on October 22, 2012
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Political prisoners in Turkey.|
- List of journalists in jail as of Jan 28 2017. (turkeypurge.com)
- Turkey’s Press Freedom Woes Worse Than You Think. (stockholmcf.org) This page has several PDF reports that include list of journalists in jail as of Jan 24, 2018.
- A list of arrested journalists throughout the history of Turkey up to November 2016, compiled by Turhan Güney of Cumhuriyet (bianet.org)