List of artificial islands
This is a list of artificial islands. Currently, artificial islands are an expensive -- but in some cases lucrative -- option for many cities which lack land (such as Tokyo's Odaiba and Fukuoka's island city project). In the future they may be common sites as many cities (especially Asian cities) around the world face severe urban land shortages and congestion. Eventually, this may make man-made islands a logical option.
Below is a list of several artificial or man-made islands.
- 1 Disputed
- 2 Australia
- 3 Austria
- 4 Azerbaijan
- 5 Bahrain
- 6 Bolivia
- 7 Bulgaria
- 8 Canada
- 9 China
- 10 Denmark
- 11 France
- 12 Germany
- 13 Hong Kong
- 14 India
- 15 Italy
- 16 Japan
- 17 Macau
- 18 Maldives
- 19 Mexico
- 20 Montenegro
- 21 Malaysia
- 22 Netherlands
- 23 Panama
- 24 Peru/Bolivia
- 25 Philippines
- 26 Poland
- 27 Qatar
- 28 Russia
- 29 Singapore
- 30 Solomon Islands
- 31 South Africa
- 32 South Korea
- 33 Sri Lanka
- 34 Tonga
- 35 United Arab Emirates
- 36 United Kingdom
- 37 United States
- 38 See also
- 39 References
- Mischief Reef - currently being converted into an island by China. Also claimed by Vietnam, the Philippines and Taiwan.
- Fiery Cross Reef - currently being converted into an island by China. Also claimed by Vietnam, the Philippines and Taiwan.
- Heirisson Island, Swan River, Western Australia – created from pre-existing smaller islands via reclamation
- Durrat Al Bahrain
- Amwaj Islands
- Reef Island (Also known as Lulu Island)
- Bahrain Bay
- Diyar Al Muharraq
- Bahrain Lagoon
- Passport Island (aka Embankment No. 4; shared with Saudi Arabia)
- See #Peru/Bolivia
- In Varna, a portion of the southern industrial and port zone on a 2-km wide isthmus between the Black Sea and Lake Varna became an artificial island in 1976 when it became separated from the shore by two navigable canals.
- Île Notre-Dame, in Montreal
- René-Levasseur Island, an impact crater in Quebec isolated when two pre-existing natural lakes were connected by the formation of Manicouagan Reservoir (see also Daniel-Johnson Dam)
- Ontario Place East and West Island, Toronto, Ontario
- Dongjiang, an island at Bohai Bay, near Beijing, 33.5 km², for cargo transfer and wetlands reconstruction.
- Flakfortet, Copenhagen harbour
- Middelgrundsfortet, Copenhagen harbour (also known as Middelgrunden)
- Trekroner Fort, Copenhagen harbour
- Hong Kong International Airport - partially man-made, and partially on the original Chek Lap Kok.
- Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre - new wing on a man-made island off the coast of the old wing at Wan Chai.  
- An artificial island in the artificial Inspiration Lake in the former Penny's Bay
- Macau Ferry Terminal - an artificial island connected by a skyway to another artificial island, and further connected by another skyway to Shun Tak Centre.
- A former knoll in the Shek Pik Reservoir
- A former knoll in the Shing Mun (Jubilee) Reservoir
- Shui Keng Teng - a former knoll isolated from the mainland after construction of High Island Reservoir
- Former knolls and hills in the Tai Lam Chung Reservoir
- The central tower of Ting Kau Bridge stands on an artificial island in the Rambler Channel.
- The west tower of Tsing Ma Bridge stands on an artificial island in the Ma Wan Channel 
- Duplicate Tsing Yi South Bridge - two artificial islets to the south of two bridge columns, to prevent ships from colliding with the bridge. 
- MOSE Project An artificial island was created in Lido inlet as part of the flood defenses for Venice
- Chubu Centrair International Airport (2000-2005)
- Dejima in Nagasaki (Historic) (1634)
- Dream Island (Yume No Shima) (1939)
- Islands for Tokyo Disneyland in Urayasu
- Islands for Haneda International Airport runway expansion.
- Heiwa Island, in Tokyo Bay
- Island City, Fukuoka (Hakata) harbour
- Kansai International Airport (1994)
- Kisarazu Island for Tokyo Bay Aqua-Line
- Kobe Airport
- New Kitakyushu Airport
- Nagasaki Airport
- Odaiba, Tokyo Bay
- Painuhama-cho (南ぬ浜町), Ishigaki-shi, Okinawa-ken
- Port Island, Kobe harbour
- Rokko Island, Kobe harbour
- The Second Sea Fortress, Tokyo Bay (The first and second fortresses were sunk)
- Macau International Airport
- Islets in the Lagos Nam Van
- Spiral Island, a small floating island
- The Lady Of the Rocks / Gospa od Skrpjela, a small island contribute to Our Lady of the Rocks, situated in the Bay Of Kotor.
Nineteen artificial islands in the Gulf of Finland for fortresses
- Coral Island
- Jurong Island, formed by the amalgamation of seven natural islands
- Paradise Island
- Pearl Island
- Pulau Punggol Barat
- Pulau Punggol Timor
- Pulau Semakau
- Sandy Island
- Treasure Island
- Island in Kamfers Dam, constructed as a flamingo breeding island
- Colombo Port City (2014-)
- Former Republic of Minerva
- Burj al-Arab, a hotel on a small artificial island.
- The Palm Islands (The Palm, Jumeirah, The Palm, Jebel Ali, and The Palm, Deira). The Palm Jebel Ali has had most of its land filled, but both the Palm Jebel Ali and the Palm Deira projects are on hold as of 2013.
- The World Islands, currently uninhabited.
- Dubai Waterfront
- The Universe
- Several hundred crannógs in Scotland
- Gaillard Island, is an artificially created island located in Mobile Bay near Mobile, Alabama. It was built by the United States Army Corps of Engineers, using sand and mud dredged from the Mobile Bay ship channel and elsewhere. The island is an important site for colonial nesting seabirds and shore birds in coastal Alabama and has been the only nesting site for brown pelicans (Pelecanus occidentalis) in Alabama - first discovered in 1983.
- Northstar Island, an island built for oil drilling and extraction from the Northstar Oil Pool in the Beaufort Sea.
- Tom Sawyer Island, Frontierland, Disneyland theme park
- Balboa Island (Newport Beach)
- Treasure Island (San Francisco Bay)
- Rincon Island (off Ventura County Coast)
- THUMS Islands (also called Astronaut Islands) - four artificial island oil platforms (off Long Beach Harbor)
- Coast Guard Island (Oakland Estuary, San Francisco Bay area)
- Isola di Lolando (Miami) - Failed artificial island construction project.
- Hibiscus Island (Miami Beach) (1922)
- Palm Island (Miami Beach)
- Peanut Island (Riviera Beach) (1918)
- Star Island (Miami Beach)
- Venetian Islands (Miami Beach) - Includes Belle Isle, Biscayne Island, Di Lido Island and Flagler Monument Island.
- Fisher Island (Miami)
- Watson Island (Miami)
- Dodge Island (Miami)
Sunset islands 1 sunset island 2 sunset island 3 sunset island 4 Brickell Key Island
- Shippingport, a former town now within the boundaries of Louisville that became an island in 1825 when the Louisville and Portland Canal was built as a bypass of the Falls of the Ohio.
- http://english.people.com.cn/200503/28/eng20050328_178481.html N. China port city to create artificial island in 4 years
- http://dome.mit.edu/handle/1721.3/150194 https://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisjunker/4887773292 http://hkgalden.com/view/111843 http://hk.epochtimes.com/b5/11/5/3/136124.htm "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-01-28. Retrieved 2016-01-22. "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-08-24. Retrieved 2016-01-22. http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/8618398/img/8618398.bmp http://images.epochhk.com/20110503/a4-4.jpg "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-01-28. Retrieved 2016-01-22.
- http://news.rthk.hk/rthk/ch/component/k2/1234477-20160108.htm http://newsstatic.rthk.hk/images/mfile_1234477_1_L_20160108174620.jpg
- http://www.yearbook.gov.hk/1997/photo/ch14/il.jpg http://my.tdctrade.com/photolib/hk/0400005L.jpg http://www.tsingma.com.hk/Web_pages/Intro_tmca/ting_kau_bridge.jpg Satellite view
- http://www.skyscrapers.cn/images/asia/cn/hk/Tsing_Ma_Bridge4.jpg Satellite view