List of attacks on Jewish institutions in the United States
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is a list of violent attacks and failed attack plots targeting Jewish institutions in the United States.
- 1957 - November 11: A bomb at Temple Beth-El in Birmingham, Alabama was discovered before it exploded.
- 1958 - February 9: Thirty sticks of dynamite discovered by police in suitcase at Temple Emanuel in Gastonia, North Carolina.
- 1958 - March 16: An explosion caused severe damage to school wing of Temple Beth El in Miami, Florida.
- 1958 - March 16: Bombing of Jewish Community Center in Nashville, Tennessee.
- 1958 - April 28: Bombing of Jewish Center, a synagogue in Jacksonville, Florida.
- 1958 - April 28: A suitcase containing more than 50 sticks of dynamite failed to explode at Temple Beth El in Birmingham, Alabama when overnight rain soaked the explosives. 
- 1958 - October 12: bombing of The Temple in Atlanta, Georgia by white supremacists.
- 1958 - October 14, bomb damaged Temple Anshei Emeth, Peoria, Illinois.
- 1960 - Shooting and firebombing attack on Congregation Beth Israel in Gadsden, Alabama.
- 1967 - series of attacks by white separatists on Beth Israel Congregation in Jackson, Mississippi.
- 1968 - series of attacks by white separatists on Congregation Beth Israel in Meridian, Mississippi.
- 1977 - Shaare Zedek Synagogue (University City, Missouri). Synagogue shooting, 1 dead, 2 seriously injured.
- 1977 - An attack and hostage-taking at B'nai B'rith headquarters in Washington, D.C.
- 1991 - Crown Heights riot
- 1994 - 1994 Brooklyn Bridge shooting shooting attack on a van carrying Chabad-Lubavitch students crossing the bridge as part of an identifiably Jewish convoy of 20 vehicles carrying members of the Chabad-Lubavitch movement.
- 1994 - attacks on Temple Beth Israel in Eugene, Oregon by white separatists
- 1999 - arson attacks on three Jewish congregations in Sacramento, California, including B'nai Israel
- 1999 - Los Angeles Jewish Community Center shooting by a white supremacist
- 2000 - White supremacist Richard Baumhammers shoots out windows at Congregation Beth El, Pittsburgh, and Congregation Ahavath Achim in Carnegie, Pennsylvania.
- 2000 - Arson attack on Temple Beth El in Syracuse, New York. Hate crime by perpetrator who claimed Palestinian descent.
- 2000 - Firebombing of Conservative Synagogue Adath Israel of Riverdale, New York by group of Palestinian-American men.
- 2002 - 2002 white supremacist terror plot
- 2002 - 2002 Los Angeles International Airport shooting - attack on El Al, the airline of Israel.
- 2002 - Another attack on Temple Beth Israel in Eugene, Oregon by white separatists
- 2003 - Molotov cocktail thrown through window at Valley Beth Shalom synagogue in Encino, California
- 2005 - 2005 Los Angeles bomb plot. Failed plan by Muslims to bomb a synagogue.
- 2006 - 2006 Seattle Jewish Federation shooting committed by Naveed Afzal Haq
- 2009 - United States Holocaust Memorial Museum shooting
- 2009 - Bronx terrorism plot to bomb the Riverdale Temple and nearby Riverdale Jewish Center
- 2011 - 2011 Manhattan terrorism plot. Failed plan by Muslims to bomb a synagogue.
- 2014 - Overland Park Jewish Community Center shooting by a Neo-Nazi
- 2016 - 2016 Ohio restaurant machete attack. Islamist attack on a Middle Eastern restaurant displaying an Israeli flag.
- 2018 - Pittsburgh synagogue shooting in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- 2018 - Los Angeles synagogue attack
- 2019 - Shooting at Chabad of Poway synagogue in Poway, California
- Kellman, George. "ANTI-JEWISH AGITATION." The American Jewish Year Book 60 (1959): 44-52. https://www.jstor.org/stable/23602919.
- Webb, Clive (22 June 2009). "Counterblast: How the Atlanta Temple Bombing Strengthened the Civil Rights Cause". Southern Spaces. Retrieved 19 November 2018.
- Sexton, Joe (2 March 1994). "4 Hasidic Youths Hurt in Brooklyn Bridge Shooting". New York Times. Retrieved 24 June 2019.
- Green, David (28 October 2018). "From Lynchings to Mass Shootings: The History of Deadly Attacks on Jews in America". Haaretz. Retrieved 20 November 2018.
- "Arab convicted of hate crimes in temple arson". St. Catharines Standard. AP. 25 November 2003. ProQuest 349554168.
- Rosen, Armin (28 November 2018). "We May Never Know the Motivations of the Man Who Shouted Anti-Semitic Slurs Before Trying to Kill Jews". Tablet. Retrieved 29 November 2018.
- Davis, Kristina; Parvini, Sarah (27 April 2019). "Multiple people shot in attack on Poway synagogue; police detain man for questioning". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 27 April 2019.