List of attacks related to post-secondary schools
This is a list of attacks related to postsecondary schools, such as universities or colleges. These are attacks that occurred on school property or related primarily to school issues or events. A narrow definition of the word attacks is used for this list, excluding warfare, robberies, gang violence, political or police attacks (as related to protests), accidents, single suicides, and murder-suicides resulting from rejected suitors/spouses. Incidents that involved only staff who work at the school have been classified as belonging at List of workplace killings. It also excludes events where no injuries take place, if an attack is foiled. Each account needs a valid reliable source or it may be deleted.
College and university school incidents
1800 – 1999
|Date||Location||Country||Attackers||Casu- alties[a]||Dead||Injured||Incident Description|
|April 16, 1874||Lebanon, Kentucky||United States||John L. Anderson||1||1||John R. Breckinridge, son of the late Robert Jefferson Breckinridge, was shot to death at the Law school in Lebanon, Kentucky, by John L. Anderson, the Mayor's son, who was reportedly "crazed with liquor".|
|October 10, 1892||Kansas City, Kansas||United States||Fred Basset||2||2||At Kansas University, two students, E. Higgins and Jack Craycroft, were shot after football practice while cutting through property owned by law student, Fred Basset. Basset said they were warned not to trespass on his farm.|
|June 7, 1925||Baton Rouge, Louisiana||United States||1||1||Oscar B. Turner, a professor of agronomy, was murdered by an axe-wielding assailant on the campus of Louisiana State University.|
|June 4, 1930||Cambridge||United Kingdom||Douglas Newton Potts, 19||3||3||Student Douglas Potts shot dead Dr. Alexander Wollaston and Detective Sergeant Willis at King's College before committing suicide.|
|June 4, 1936||Bethlehem, Pennsylvania||United States||Wesley Crow||2||2||Wesley Crow shot and killed his Lehigh University English instructor, C. Wesley Phy. Crow went to Phy's office and demanded that Phy change his grade to a passing mark. Crow committed suicide after shooting Phy.|
|November 13, 1949||Columbus, Ohio||United States||James Heer||1||1||Ohio State University freshman James Heer of Euclid, Ohio grabbed a handgun from the room of a Delta Tau Delta fraternity brother and shot and killed Jack McKeown, 21, of Norwood, Ohio, an Ohio State senior and fraternity brother.|
|July 14, 1952||New York City, New York||United States||Bayard Peakes||1||1||Bayard Peakes shot and killed secretary Eileen Fahey with a pistol at the office of American Physical Society at Columbia University. Peakes was reportedly upset that the APS had rejected a pamphlet he had written.|
|May 15, 1954||Chapel Hill, North Carolina||United States||3||1||2||Putnam Davis Jr. was shot and killed during a fraternity house carnival at the Phi Delta Theta house at the University of North Carolina. William Joyner and Allen Long were also shot and wounded during the exchange of gunfire in their fraternity bedroom. The incident took place after an all-night beer party.|
|January 11, 1955||Swarthmore, Pennsylvania||United States||Robert Bechtel, 20||1||1||After some of his dorm mates urinated on his mattress Bob Bechtel, a 20-year-old student at Swarthmore College, used a shotgun to kill fellow student Holmes Strozier.|
|August 1, 1966||Austin, Texas||United States||Charles Whitman, 25||49||18||31||University of Texas Clock Tower shootings. After killing his wife and mother, Charles Whitman used a rifle and shot from the observation deck of the University of Texas at Austin's Tower; he killed 15 people and wounded 31 others before being shot dead by police.|
|November 12, 1966||Mesa, Arizona||United States||Robert Benjamin Smith, 18||7||5||2||Bob Smith, 18, took seven people hostage at Rose-Mar College of Beauty. Smith ordered the hostages to lie down on the floor in a circle. He shot them in the head with a pistol. Four women and a three-year-old girl died, one woman and a baby were injured but survived. Police arrested Smith after the massacre. Smith had reportedly admired Richard Speck and Charles Whitman.|
|January 7, 1969||Cambridge, Massachusetts||United States||1||1||23-year-old anthropology graduate student, Jane S. Britton was beaten to death in her 6 University Road apartment at Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts. She was the daughter of Radcliffe Administrative Vice President J. Boyd Britton. Her killer has never been apprehended.|
|August 24, 1969||Alor Akar||Malaysia||5||3||2||A 23-year-old teacher at a vocational school in Alor Akar, Kuantan attacked several sleeping students in the school hostel. He killed three students and wounded two others, one of them critically, with a dagger. The teacher surrendered and was later arrested by police.|
|November 28, 1969||State College, Pennsylvania||United States||1||1||22-year-old graduate student Betsy Aardsma was stabbed to death in the Pattee Library at the Pennsylvania State University in State College, Pennsylvania. Her killer was never apprehended.|
|November 11, 1971||Spokane, Washington||United States||Larry J. Harmon, 21||6||2||4||Former MIT student Larry J. Harmon, 21, entered St. Aloysius Roman Catholic Church on the Gonzaga University campus armed with a rifle. Harmon killed the caretaker, 68-year-old Hilary Kunz, and wounded four more people before police officers shot and killed him.|
|November 13, 1971||Guatemala City||Guatemala||17||2||15||A 21-year-old student killed two people with a machete at an agricultural school near Guatemala City. He wounded 15 others before being overpowered by other students.|
|October 12, 1974||Stanford, California||United States||1||1||19-year-old Arlis Perry was stabbed to death with an ice pick in Stanford Memorial Church on the grounds of Stanford University by an unknown assailant.|
|December 24, 1974||Sofia||Bulgaria||Branimir Donchev, 17||16||6||10||6 students were killed and 10 others wounded, among them several foreign students, when 17-year-old Branimir Donchev began shooting with a pistol in a university hostel in Sofia. Donchev was subdued and arrested by police.|
|February 17, 1976||Beirut||Lebanon||Najim Najim||3||2||1||Robert Najemy and Raymond Ghosn, two deans at the American University of Beirut, were shot and killed by former student Najim Najim, who had been expelled for radical activity. Najim took six people hostage, and threatened to kill the hostages and himself with hand grenades. Three hours later he surrendered to police. When Najim was led out of the building he was shot and wounded by Joseph Cherbeka, a friend of dean Ghosn.|
|February 19, 1976||Los Angeles, California||United States||Neil Jordan Liebeskind, 18||9||1||8||During a test Neil Liebeskind, a student at a Los Angeles computer school, opened fire at his fellow students with a shotgun, killing Fernando E. Alcivar, 24, and wounding several others. Alcivar was sitting next to the intended target. When trying to escape, Liebeskind was apprehended by Howard Barnes, a security guard. Told to drop his gun, Liebeskind fired at Barnes, hitting him; Barnes returned fire, critically wounding the shooter.|
|January 15, 1978||Tallahassee, Florida||United States||Ted Bundy, 31||4||2||2||Ted Bundy entered the Florida State University Chi Omega sorority house at approximately 3 a.m. and killed two sleeping women, Lisa Levy and Margaret Bowman. He also bludgeoned two other Chi Omegas, Karen Chandler and Kathy Kleiner. Bundy was a serial killer and had killed several other women before this event.|
|August 18, 1978||Stanford, California||United States||Theodore Streleski, 42||1||1||Theodore Streleski murdered his mathematics professor, Karel deLeeuw at Stanford University by bludgeoning him with a ball-peen hammer. He was found to have a hit list containing deLeeuw's name.|
|October 6, 1979||Columbia, South Carolina||United States||Mark Houston, 19||7||2||5||Mark Houston opened fire inside a dormitory during a party at the University of South Carolina, killing two partygoers and injuring five.|
|March 26, 1980||Big Rapids, Michigan||United States||Thomas Kakonis, 20||1||1||Robert Brauer, Business Professor, was shot to death by student Thomas Kakonis, 20, at Ferris State College. Robert Brauer had failed Kakonis on an examination. Kakonis was the son of an associate dean at the college.|
|April 17, 1981||Ann Arbor, Michigan||United States||Leo Kelly, 22||2||2||Psychology Major Leo Kelly set off several Molotov cocktails into the hallway of Bursley Residence Hall at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, setting off the fire alarm. He shot at fleeing residents with a shotgun, fatally wounding two persons. Kelly was found guilty on two murder counts, and was sentenced to life in prison.|
|December 17, 1983||Ithaca, New York||United States||Su Yong Kim||2||2||Non-student Su Yong Kim entered the Low Rise 7 dormitory and killed Cornell University first-year women Young Hee Suh and Erin Nieswand with a rifle.|
|August 12, 1985||New York City, New York||United States||Van Anthony Hull, 29||5||1||4||Student Van Hull shot one person dead, injured another four at the New York City Technical College and kept police at bay for about an hour, before being taken into custody. The shooting was said to be related to a dispute over financial aid.|
|September 8, 1986||New Orleans, Louisiana||United States||Cindy Marie Piccot, 21||2||2||Cindy Marie Piccot entered the Coastal Training Institute and shot dead 20-year-old student Shamette Allen with a .38 caliber pistol before committing suicide. The motive for the shooting was revenge for an earlier attack in which Shamette Allen set Cindy Marie Piccot on fire.|
|February 4, 1987||Northridge, California||United States||Fawwaz Abdin, 25||2||2||Associate Professor of Computer Science at California State University, Northridge, Djamshid Asgari, was confronted in a stairwell in the Engineering Building by a graduate student, Fawwaz Abdin, 25. Abdin was angry over a grade Dr. Asgari had given him a year earlier, putting him on academic probation. He demanded the grade be changed, Dr. Asgari refused, and Abdin shot him twice and then killed himself. Dr. Asgari later died at the Northridge Hospital.|
|December 6, 1989||Montreal, Quebec||Canada||Marc Lépine, 25||29||15||14||École Polytechnique massacre. Marc Lépine took a hunting rifle into École Polytechnique de Montréal, shooting nine women and killing six in one room. He went through the school, killing 14 women and injured 4 men and 10 women before turning the gun on himself. It is the worst mass murder event in Canadian history, on or off a school campus.|
|November 27, 1990||Heraklion, Crete||Greece||Giorgos Petrodaska- lakis, 32||3||3||Theoretical physicist Basilis C. Xanthopoulos and his colleague Stephanos Pnevmatikos were shot to death by 32-year-old post-graduate student Giorgos Petrodaskalakis at the University of Crete. He then committed suicide.|
|November 1, 1991||Iowa City, Iowa||United States||Gang Lu, 28||7||6||1||University of Iowa shooting After his dissertation did not win a certain academic award, Ph.D. physics student Gang Lu shot six people before committing suicide. Five were killed, including three professors. A student employee was paralyzed.|
|July 8, 1993||Ogden, Utah||United States||Mark Duong, 28||4||1||3||28-year-old student Mark Duong shot and injured three people, one of them a Weber State police officer, at a grievance hearing at Weber State University. Doung was shot by the police officer and died at the scene.|
|April 5, 1994||Aarhus||Denmark||Flemming Nielsen, 35||5||3||2||35-year-old Flemming Nielsen, a student at Aarhus University, entered the cafeteria of the University armed with a shotgun. He shot and killed two female students and wounded two others. Soon afterward he went to the men's room and committed suicide.|
|December 8, 1994||Quezon City||Philippines||1||1||Dennis Venturina, of Sigma Rho, was beaten to death by members of Scintilla Juris, a rival fraternity, on the campus of the University of the Philippines.|
|May 28, 1995||Cambridge, Massachusetts||United States||Sinedu Tadesse, 20||3||2||1||Sinedu Tadesse stabbed her roommate, 20-year-old Trang Phuong Ho, to death with a hunting knife inside a dormitory at Harvard University. Tadesse also attacked one of Ho's visiting friends, 26-year-old Thao Nguyen, severely injuring her as well. Tadesse hanged herself.|
|August 15, 1996||San Diego, California||United States||Frederick M. Davidson, 36||3||3||San Diego State University shooting. Frederick M. Davidson, shot Dr. Chen Liang, Dr. Constantinos Lyrintzis, and Dr. D. Preston Lowrey during a meeting at which he was to defend his master's thesis. He pleaded guilty to three counts of murder and is serving a life term in state prison.|
|August 26, 1996||San Antonio, Texas||United States||Gregory Heath Tidwell, 25||2||2||25-year-old Gregory Heath Tidwell stormed into the John Peace Library at the University of Texas at San Antonio on the first day of fall classes, shooting 54-year-old Stephen Sorenson four times, killing him. Tidwell then turned the weapon upon himself and committed suicide.|
|October 16, 1996||West Lafayette, Indiana||United States||Jarrod Allen Eskew, 19||2||2||On October 15, 1996, Jay Severson, 27, a Wiley Hall counselor at Purdue University caught Jarrod Allen Eskew, 19 of Crawfordsville, Indiana cutting cocaine in his dorm room. Severson called the Purdue Police Department but Eskew had fled. He returned the next day with a sawed off shotgun while under the influence of both marijuana and cocaine, and fatally shot Severson in the head. He then barricaded himself and shot himself in his room.|
|March 8, 1997||Kamyshin||Russian Federation||Sergei Lepnev||8||6||2||First year cadet Sergei Lepnev of the Russian Military School opened fire on his classmates, killing six and wounding two.|
|February 19, 1999||Quezon City||Philippines||1||1||Niño Calinao, a senior journalism major at the University of the Philippines was shot dead by suspected UP Sigma Rho fraternity members after being mistaken for a member of a rival fraternity.|
2000 – 2009
|Date||Location||Country||Attackers||Casu- alties[a]||Dead||Injured||Incident Description|
|February 10, 2000||Quezon City||Philippines||1||1||Den Daniel Reyes was stabbed to death during a fight between two rival fraternities at the University of the Philippines.|
|August 28, 2000||Fayetteville, Arkansas||United States||James Easton Kelley||2||2||James Easton Kelley shot and killed professor John Locke in his office at the University of Arkansas before committing suicide.|
|September 28, 2000 and February 3, 2001||Washington, District of Columbia||United States||Joseph Mesa Jr., 20||2||2||19-year-old Eric Franklin Plunkett was found beaten to death inside his dorm room at Gallaudet University in September 2000. In February 2001, 19-year-old Benjamin Varner, an RA in the same dorm, was found stabbed to death. Authorities prosecuted Joseph Mesa Jr., who was found guilty of two counts of first-degree murder.|
|January 19, 2001||Toronto, Ontario||Canada||1||1||Professor David Buller, 50, was stabbed to death outside his office at the University of Toronto by an unknown assailant.|
|January 16, 2002||Grundy, Virginia||United States||Peter Odighizuwa, 43||6||3||3||Appalachian School of Law shooting. Odighizuwa, a native-born Nigerian and former student at the Appalachian School of Law, shot and killed its dean, a professor, and a student and wounded three other students. After running out of ammunition, he was tackled and subdued by a student. He pleaded guilty to murder charges and received multiple life sentences.|
|October 21, 2002||Melbourne||Australia||Huan Xiang||7||2||5||Monash University shooting. Huan Xiang, a commerce student at the university, armed with five loaded handguns, opened fire in a tutorial room. He killed two students, William Wu and Steven Chan, and seriously wounded five others. Xiang was found not guilty of murder due to mental illness, and was ordered committed to a psychiatric hospital.|
|September 13, 2003||Nanning||China||8||8||A female student, who was suspended for one year after trying to commit suicide, stabbed eight classmates in a dormitory at Guangxi Teachers' College. Three of the victims were critically injured.|
|February 4, 2004||Remanso||Brazil||5||2||3||A 17-year-old youth shot and killed 13-year-old Farlley Bastos Almeida, who had previously ridiculed him, and then forced a taxi driver to take him to a nearby EDP school. There he shot and killed 23-year-old Ana Paula Feitosa de Almeida and wounded two others before being subdued by two students. A woman, afraid of getting shot, jumped out of a window in the third floor and broke her legs. In custody the youth stated that he sympathized with Islamic terrorists and had intended to kill at least a hundred people.|
|Feb. 13–15, 2004||Kunming||China||Ma Jiajue, 23||4||4||Biochemistry student Ma Jiajue stabbed four other students to death in a dormitory at Yunnan University. He was found guilty of murder and executed on June 17, 2004.|
|December 28, 2005||Bangalore||India||Unknown gunmen||5||1||4||2005 Indian Institute of Science shooting. Prof. Munish Chandra Puri was killed and four others injured after two or more unidentified gunmen opened fired at the Indian Institute of Science.|
|September 13, 2006||Montreal, Quebec||Canada||Kimveer Gill, 25||21||2||19||Dawson College shooting. Kimveer Gill had opened fire at Dawson College, near downtown Montreal. One victim (Anastasia De Sousa) died later in the next day at the hospital due to her serious injuries, while another 19 were injured, eight of whom were listed in critical condition, with six requiring surgery. The gunman later committed suicide.|
|April 16, 2007||Blacksburg, Virginia||United States||Seung-Hui Cho, 23||58||33||25||Virginia Tech massacre. Cho, a senior English-studies major, killed 32 people (27 students and 5 faculty members) on the campus of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University in two separate incidents, about two hours apart. Another 25 people were injured at Norris, some when they jumped from second-story windows to escape. Cho committed suicide after police breached the main entrance doors. The attack is the deadliest peacetime shooting incident by a single gunman in U.S. history, on or off a school campus.|
|May 8, 2007||Bundoora, Victoria||Australia||Sarah Jean Cheney, 23||1||1||Sarah Jean Cheney stabbed Jemma Clancy, a 27-year-old behavioral science student, three times with a steak knife. The incident occurred in the Borchardt library at the Bundoora campus of La Trobe University. Sarah Jean Cheney did not know Jemma Clancy personally and expressed that she just desired to kill someone. Jemma Clancy was taken to hospital in a serious but stable condition.|
|December 9, 2007||Arvada, Colorado||United States||Matthew J. Murray, 24||10||5||5||Matthew J. Murray attacked the Youth With A Mission missionary training school in Arvada, Colorado, killing two and wounding two others. He drove to the New Life Church in Colorado Springs, Colorado where he killed two more people and wounded three before being shot by a security guard. Murray then committed suicide.|
|February 8, 2008||Baton Rouge, Louisiana||United States||Latina Williams, 23||3||3||Latina Williams, a 23-year-old nursing student, opened fire of six rounds with a revolver in a classroom at Louisiana Technical College in Baton Rouge before committing suicide. She fatally shot classmates Karsheika Graves and Taneshia Butler.|
|February 14, 2008||DeKalb, Illinois||United States||Steven Phillip Kazmierczak, 27||27||6||21||Northern Illinois University shooting. 27-year-old former student Steven Kazmierczak opened fire with a shotgun and three semi-automatic handguns at Cole Hall on the campus of Northern Illinois University, in DeKalb, killing 5 students and wounding 20 other students and the class instructor. 17 of the injuries were gunshot-related, while other persons were injured escaping the scene. Kazmierczak then fatally shot himself.|
|September 23, 2008||Kauhajoki||Finland||Matti Juhani Saari, 22||12||11||1||Kauhajoki school shooting. 22-year-old culinary arts student Matti Saari opened fire at the Kauhajoki School of Hospitality of Seinäjoki University of Applied Sciences, in Kauhajoki, Finland, using a pistol. Nine students and a teacher died in the shooting, and he set their bodies and school property on fire. Saari then shot himself in the head, later dying at Tampere University Hospital.|
|October 26, 2008||Conway, Arkansas||United States||Kawin Brockman, 19; Kelcey Perry, 19; Mario Toney, 20, and Brandon Wade, 20||3||2||1||2008 University of Central Arkansas shootings. A shooting took place on the campus of University of Central Arkansas, in Conway, outside the Arkansas Hall dormitory. Two students—Ryan Henderson, 18, and Chavares Block, 19—were both fatally shot. A third person, a 19-year-old campus visitor, was shot and wounded in the leg.|
|February 7, 2009||Houston, Texas||United States||Jeremy Lee Pierce, 32||1||1||Jeremy Lee Pierce, a 32-year-old student at University of Houston, fatally shot Joe Tall, a 47-year-old homeless man, at the campus bus stop. Pierce has been charged with murder.|
|March 2, 2009||Nanyang Avenue||Singapore||David Hartanto Widjaja, 21||2||1||1||Nanyang Technological University Professor Chan Kap Luk was stabbed in the arm and back in his office by David Hartanto Widjaja. Widjaja then slit his wrists and jumped off the five-story engineering building where he died. Professor Luk was taken to the National University Hospital and treated.|
|April 2, 2009||Radford, Virginia||United States||Phillip Eugene Beale Sr., 42;||1||1||Phillip Beale and an unidentified individual murdered a drug dealer near the campus of Radford University after arguing with him. Radford police arrested Beale and are seeking to identify his accomplice.|
|April 9, 2009||Agios Ioannis Rentis, Athens||Greece||Dimitris Patmanidis, 19||4||1||3||OAED Vocational College shooting. Dimitris Patmanidis, a 19-year-old car electronics student at the Manpower Employment Organisation of Greece (OAED), a vocational college in a suburb of Athens, Greece, went to school armed with two pistols and a knife. Patmanidis critically shot an 18-year-old student; shot two pedestrians, and fled to a park where he committed suicide. This school shooting is one of the first ever to occur in Greece.|
|April 26, 2009||Hampton, Virginia||United States||Odane Maye, 18||3||3||Odane Maye, an 18-year-old former student, entered Hampton University while armed with three handguns. Maye stalked a pizza delivery man, whom he shot at a dormitory. Maye next shot the dorm manager, and last himself in an unsuccessful suicide attempt; both victims survived. Maye was arrested three days later after being hospitalized and was arraigned the next day on seven counts—aggravated malicious wounding and various firearms offenses.|
|April 28, 2009||Richmond, Virginia||United States||2||2||Two students at Virginia Union University were stabbed. Police say the suspect, whose name has not been released, is not a VUU student.|
|April 30, 2009||Baku||Azerbaijan||Farda Gadirov, 29||23||13||10||Azerbaijan State Oil Academy shootings. Farda Gadirov, a 29-year-old Georgian citizen, opened fired with a semi-automatic pistol at the Azerbaijan State Oil Academy, in Baku. Seven students and five faculty members were killed, another 10 were injured. Gadirov committed suicide after the attack.|
|May 18, 2009||Cambridge, Massachusetts||United States||Jabrai Jordan Copney, 20; Jason Aquino, 23; Blayn Jiggetts, 19||1||1||Justin Cosby, 21, of Cambridge, was invited into a Harvard dormitory to sell the suspects marijuana. They tried to rob him, then shot him. Copney turned himself in four days later. Copney was convicted of murder. His girlfriend, Brittany Smith '09, 21, pleaded guilty to assisting after the fact, firearm possession and misleading a grand jury. Jiggetts pleaded guilty to manslaughter, armed robbery and firearm possession; Aquino to manslaughter, armed robbery and misleading a grand jury.|
|September 2, 2009||San Bruno, California||United States||Germaine Benjamin, 18;
Dimaryea McGhee, 20;
Jacori Bender, 18
|1||1||A student was shot after an argument escalated between two groups of young males in the parking lot of Skyline College, in San Bruno, a suburb of San Francisco, California. Police arrested three suspects on September 3.|
|October 8, 2009||Los Angeles, California||United States||Damon Thompson, 20||1||1||A 20-year-old female student of a chemistry laboratory at the University of California, Los Angeles was stabbed multiple times, including having her throat slashed, during class. A teaching assistant stopped the bleeding and called for help. The victim was transported to the hospital and needed surgery but was expected to recover. Police arrested Damon Thompson after the attack.|
|October 18, 2009||Storrs, Connecticut||United States||John William Lomax III, 21||1||1||Jasper Howard, a 20-year-old cornerback for the UConn Huskies, was stabbed to death on the campus of the University of Connecticut, outside the Student Union Center. On October 21, police arrested John William Lomax III, 21, and charged him with murder. Three other men were also arrested in connection with the murder.|
|November 26, 2009||Pécs||Hungary||4||1||3||A 23-year-old pharmacology student at the University of Pécs opened fire inside the biophysics research institute at the university. A 19-year-old student was killed and a student, a teacher, and a cleaning woman were wounded in the shooting. The gunman was arrested by police about one hour after the attack.|
|December 4, 2009||Vestal, New York||United States||Abdulsalam S. al-Zahrani, 46||1||1||Richard T. Antoun, 77, a professor of anthropology and specialist in Islamic and Middle Eastern studies, was stabbed to death inside his office at Binghamton University. Police arrested 46-year-old graduate student Abdulsalam S. al-Zahrani and charged him with second-degree murder. Al-Zahrani pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of first-degree manslaughter and was sentenced to 15 years in prison. After al-Zahrani is released, he will be deported to his native Saudi Arabia.|
2010 – 2016
|Date||Location||Country||Attackers||Casu- alties[a]||Dead||Injured||Incident Description|
|January 13, 2010||Perpignan||France||Unknown, 26||4||1||3||A 26-year-old Chinese sociology student killed a secretary and wounded three teachers with a knife at the University of Perpignan. The student was arrested by police.|
|May 18, 2010||Hainan||China||10||10||A group of men armed with knives attacked college students at the Hainan Institute of Science and Technology after disabling a security camera and stabbing a guard. They attacked students at random in a dormitory, injuring nine. Three of the attackers were arrested.|
|October 3, 2010||Elizabeth City, North Carolina||United States||Christopher David Amyx, 23||1||1||Jonathan Schipper, a student at Mid-Atlantic Christian University was shot to death inside Pearl A. Presley Hall, a campus dormitory. Police arrested 23-year-old student Christopher David Amyx after the shooting and charged him with first-degree murder. Amyx had claimed self-defense, saying 23-year-old Schipper came at him with a knife while he was sitting at his computer. Amyx testified he felt he was in danger because he was a gay student at a religious school.|
|February 6, 2011||Youngstown, Ohio||United States||Columbus E. Jones Jr., 22
Braylon L. Rogers, 19
|12||1||11||Two men opened fire inside a fraternity house where a party was taking place at Youngstown State University. Jamail E. Johnson, a 25-year-old student, died and eleven people were injured, including six students. Two men were arrested on charges of aggravated murder.|
|August 8, 2011||Atizapán de Zaragoza||Mexico||2||2||A homemade bomb explodes at Monterrey Institute of Technology and Higher Education, Estado de México Campus in Atizapán de Zaragoza. The bomb was sent to a professor of robotics, who was injured along with a university guard.|
|April 2, 2012||Oakland, California||United States||One L. Goh, 43 (charged)||10||7||3||Oikos University shooting One L. Goh allegedly shot ten people at Oikos University; seven of whom died and another three were injured. He is facing murder and attempted murder charges.|
|June 15, 2012||Edmonton, Alberta||Canada||Travis Brandon Baumgartner, 21||4||3||1||While restocking bank machines at the University of Alberta's HUB Mall, three G4S crew members, Michelle Shegelski, Brian Ilesic, and Eddie Rejano, were shot and killed by another crew member, Travis Brandon Baumgartner. A fourth, Matthew Schuman, was seriously injured, but survived. Baumgartner was arrested on June 16, while attempting to cross into the U.S. at the Aldergrove, British Columbia-Lynden, Washington border. He was sentenced to life in prison. Baumgartner was sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole for 40 years.|
|October 31, 2012||Los Angeles, California||United States||Brandon Spencer, 20 (charged)||4||4||At a Halloween party on the University of Southern California campus, an argument escalated and a man shot Geno Hall seven times with a handgun, critically wounding him. He shot and wounded three other people, who were not students of USC. Brandon Spencer, 20, was arrested for the shooting. He is charged with attempted murder.|
|November 30, 2012||Casper, Wyoming||United States||Christopher Krumm, 25||3||3||Christopher Krumm fatally shot his father with a bow and arrow at Casper College; he stabbed one female professor near her home, and stabbed himself to death at the college.|
|December 20, 2012||Hanoi||Vietnam||1||1||A 20-year-old student was stabbed to death at Ha Noi University of Business and Technology.|
|January 15, 2013||St. Louis, Missouri||United States||Sean Johnson (charged)||2||2||A gunman shot an administrator in his office on the fourth floor of Stevens Institute of Business and Arts, wounding him. The suspected gunman, Sean Johnson, a part-time student, shot and wounded himself on a stairwell. Both the administrator and Johnson were hospitalized in stable conditions. Johnson was charged with three felony charges, including assault.|
|January 15, 2013||Hazard, Kentucky||United States||Dalton Lee Stidham, 21 (charged)||3||3||Two people were shot and killed and a third person was wounded at the parking lot of Hazard Community and Technical College. The third victim, 12-year-old Taylor Cornett, died from her wounds the next day. 21-year-old Dalton Lee Stidham was arrested and charged with three counts of murder.|
|January 16, 2013||Chicago, Illinois||United States||1||1||A 17-year-old boy, Tyrone Lawson, was shot to death in a parking lot of Chicago State University after high school basketball games were being held on the university campus. Police arrested two people after the shooting and recovered a weapon.|
|January 22, 2013||Houston, Texas||United States||3||3||Between the Library and Academic Building outside of Lone Star College–North Harris, two men got into an argument: one shot the other man, a student, injuring him. A maintenance man suffered a gunshot wound to the leg. The gunman accidentally shot himself in the leg. After the shooting, the gunman fled into the woods and was arrested hours later. A man was arrested.|
|April 9, 2013||Cypress, Texas||United States||Dylan Andrew Quick, 20 (charged)||14||14||During a stabbing attack at the campus of Lone Star College-CyFair, 14 students were injured, 2 critically. The suspect, Dylan Quick, a student, was subdued by students and arrested, charged with three counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.|
|April 12, 2013||Christiansburg, Virginia||United States||Neil Allen MacInnis, 19 (charged)||2||2||Two women were wounded during a shooting at the campus of New River Community College. Neil Allen MacInnis was taken into custody.|
|April 16, 2013||Grambling, Louisiana||United States||3||3||Three students were shot and injured on the campus of Grambling State University.|
|June 7, 2013||Santa Monica, California||United States||John S. Zawahri, 23||10||6||4||2013 Santa Monica shooting. Zawahri killed five people and wounded four during a shooting spree throughout the city. He killed his brother and father at their home, then set it on fire. He wounded a female driver while trying to hijack her car, then forced another to drive him to Santa Monica College. Along the way he shot at a city bus, wounding three passengers, and killed a man and his daughter driving in a car toward the campus. He killed a groundskeeper outside the university library, and entered, firing 70 rounds without hitting anyone. He was shot and killed by police.|
|November 2, 2013||Greensboro, North Carolina||United States||1||1||One person was shot and wounded at North Carolina A&T State University. The victim was hospitalized. The university was temporarily locked down that night. No suspects are in custody.|
|January 20, 2014||Chester, Pennsylvania||United States||1||1||One person was shot and critically injured at Widener University in Chester, Pennsylvania. The incident occurred around 10:00 pm outside the university sport's complex and led to an 8-hour university lock-down. The suspect was not immediately found.|
|January 21, 2014||West Lafayette, Indiana||United States||Cody Cousins, 23||1||1||Cody Cousins shot and killed Andrew Boldt, a senior-year undergraduate student at Purdue University. The shooting occurred in a classroom in the university's electrical engineering building. Cousins was taken into custody. He committed suicide in jail in October 2014.|
|January 24, 2014||Orangeburg, South Carolina||United States||Justin Bernard Singleton, 19 (charged)||1||1||Student Brandon Robinson was shot and killed near a dormitory at South Carolina State University. On January 25, police arrested 19-year-old Justin Bernard Singleton and charged him with murder.|
|January 25, 2014||Los Angeles, California||United States||1||1||A man was shot and killed at Los Angeles Valley College. Two suspects were arrested in the fatal shooting.|
|January 28, 2014||Nashville, Tennessee||United States||1||1||One student was shot in the leg in an apparent altercation over a gambling debt at Tennessee State University.|
|January 30, 2014||Palm Bay, Florida||United States||1||1||As three students were fighting in a parking lot of Eastern Florida State College, one shot another. All three student claimed self-defense.|
|February 12, 2014||Los Angeles, California||United States||1||1||A male was shot in the back in a possible gang-related drive-by shooting near the University of Southern California. The suspect fled into the university campus. The victim was last reported in stable condition.|
|February 21, 2014||San Jose, California||United States||1||1||A man wielding a large knife was shot and killed by officers from the San Jose State University police department, across from the campus. Responding officers first tried to taser the man, but this was ineffective.|
|February 22, 2014||Augusta, Georgia||United States||1||1||A male suspect entered a vehicle at a Georgia Regents University dormitory complex and nearly struck a campus police officer, who shot at him in self-defense. The suspect was taken to Georgia Regents Medical Center with injuries that were not believed to be critical.|
|May 4, 2014||Augusta, Georgia||United States||1||1||Two men fired shots inside a dormitory at Paine College, injuring one student in the head. Neither of the suspects was a student at the college.|
|May 5, 2014||Augusta, Georgia||United States||1||1||At Paine College one person was reported to be shot. The suspect was apprehended and in custody. It was the second shooting incident to occur at the college campus in two days.|
|May 8, 2014||Lawrenceville, Georgia||United States||1||1||A man was shot and injured on a student parking lot roof at Georgia Gwinnett College. The specific cause was not identified.|
|May 23, 2014||Isla Vista, California||United States||Elliot Rodger, 22||20||7||13||2014 Isla Vista massacre. 22-year-old Elliot Rodger killed six people in a stabbing and shooting rampage in the city of Isla Vista. He stabbed three men to death in his shared apartment; two of them were his roommates, and the third was a visitor. He shot and killed two women outside a University of California, Santa Barbara sorority house, and wounded a third victim there. Rodger opened fire outside a deli, killing a male student, and then engaged in a gun battle with law enforcement officers. He later died from shooting himself.|
|June 5, 2014||Seattle, Washington||United States||Aaron Ybarra, 26 (charged)||3||1||2||Three people were shot in a hallway at Seattle Pacific University. One person was killed, and another person received life-threatening injuries. The shooter was disarmed by staff members and apprehended at the scene. The suspected shooter is 26-year-old Aaron Ybarra.|
|September 27, 2014||Terre Haute, Indiana||United States||1||1||A 20-year-old Indiana State University (ISU) student was shot by another ISU student inside a residence hall. The injuries were not fatal. The shooter was arrested on the following day.|
|November 20, 2014||Tallahassee, Florida||United States||Myron May, 31||1||3||At around 12:39 a.m. EST, a gunman opened fire in or near the Strozier Library at Florida State University. He shot three people. The gunman, later identified as alumnus Myron May, fired at police officers and was shot and killed by them on the steps of the library.|
|April 13, 2015||Goldsboro, North Carolina||United States||Kenneth Stancil, 20 (charged)||1||1||Ron Lane, a school employee, is shot and killed in the school library of Wayne Community College of Goldsboro, North Carolina. 20-year-old Kenneth Stancil is arrested for the killing early the next day.|
|August 27, 2015||Savannah, Georgia||United States||1||1||Christopher Starks, a junior, was fatally shot in a student union building at Savannah State University. The shooter was not identified.|
|September 3, 2015||Sacramento, California||United States||3||1||2||An argument between at least two men escalated into a physical fight on the parking lot of Sacramento City College. A man opened fire, killing 25-year-old student Roman P. Gonzalez and wounding two others. The shooting suspect was not arrested. One of the injured was arrested on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon.|
|October 1, 2015||Roseburg, Oregon||United States||Chris Harper-Mercer, 26||19||10||9||Umpqua Community College shooting. 26-year-old Chris Harper-Mercer shot and killed nine people and wounded nine others in a classroom at Umpqua Community College. He engaged in a shootout with police, in which he was wounded, and then fatally shot himself.|
|October 9, 2015||Flagstaff, Arizona||United States||Student, 18||4||1||3||One student died and three others were wounded in a shooting at Northern Arizona University. It is unclear what sparked the shooting, which took place near Mountain View Hall, a dormitory that houses most of the campus' students involved in Greek organizations. An 18-year-old student was arrested and charged with murder and aggravated assault.|
|October 22, 2015||Nashville, Tennessee||United States||unknown||4||1||3||One person was killed and three others were wounded in a shooting at an outdoor courtyard at Tennessee State University. The shooting may have stemmed from an argument over a dice game. A suspect has not been identified or arrested.|
|November 1, 2015||Winston-Salem, North Carolina||United States||unknown||2||1||1||One person died and another person was injured after someone opened fire on the campus of Winston-Salem State University. A 21-year-old non-student suspect is sought.|
|November 4, 2015||University of California, Merced||United States||unknown||4, plus 1 attacker||1 attacker||4||2015 University of California, Merced stabbing attack. Terrorist attack by stabbing on campus of University of California, Merced.|
|August 24, 2016||American University of Afghanistan||Afghanistan||3||16-17+, plus 3 attackers||50+ to 53+||American University of Afghanistan attack. An attack by suspected Taliban assailants on a university that had around 700 students in attendance at the time.|
|August 28, 2016||Ithaca, New York||United States||2||1||1||A fight between two groups of students at Cornell University left one student dead and another injured.|
- School bullying
- School shooting
- School violence
- List of school-related attacks
- List of attacks related to primary schools
- List of attacks related to secondary schools
- List of rampage killers: School massacres
- School-Related Deaths, School Shootings, & School Violence Incidents: 2000–2001, National School Safety and Security Services
- School-Related Deaths, School Shootings, & School Violence Incidents: 2002–2003, National School Safety and Security Services
- School-Related Deaths, School Shootings, & School Violence Incidents: 2004–2005, National School Safety and Security Services
- School-Related Deaths, School Shootings, & School Violence Incidents: 2006–2007, National School Safety and Security Services
- School-Related Deaths, School Shootings, & School Violence Incidents: 2007–2008, National School Safety and Security Services
- School-Related Deaths, School Shootings, & School Violence Incidents: 2008–2009, National School Safety and Security Services
- School-Related Deaths, School Shootings, & School Violence Incidents: 2009–2010, National School Safety and Security Services
- Mower County Transcript, Lansing, Minn., April 16, 1874
- San Francisco Call, Volume 72, Number 133, 11 October 1892
- Special to The New York Times. (1925-06-09). "STUDENTS WILL SEEK TEACHER'S MURDERER; Plan to Search Rooms of Class in Louisiana Where Axe Was Used in Slaying". Select.nytimes.com. Retrieved 2011-03-12.
- Victory Scholar, Time Magazine (June 16, 1930)
- New York Times, June 5, 1936. p. 44
- New York Times, November 14, 1949. p. 14
- "Judge Blames Mental Institutions For Releasing Dangerous Maniacs". News.google.com. 1952-07-29. Retrieved 2011-03-12.
- Monday, Jul. 28, 1952 (1952-07-28). "CRIME: Senseless Killings". Time.com. Retrieved 2011-03-12.
- Kahn, Jennifer (2002-04-01). "Notes from Another Universe". Discovermagazine.com. Retrieved 2011-03-12.
- New York Times, May 16, 1954. p. 1
- "Documentary offers insight into the mind of a school shooter". Media.www.thestrand.ca. 2006-09-21. Retrieved 2011-03-12.
- "The Killer Within". Cbc.ca. 2006-09-10. Retrieved 2011-03-12.
- Adams, Sam. "Philadelphia Film Festival: Blood Ties". Citypaper.net. Retrieved 2011-03-12.
- Friday, Nov. 18, 1966 (1966-11-18). "Slaughter in the College of Beauty". Time.com. Retrieved 2011-03-12.
- Grad Student Killed, "The Harvard Crimson" (January 8, 1969),
- Amok teacher kills three in midnight hostel horror, The Straits Times (August 24, 1969)
- Teacher Runs Amok Kills 3 in Malaysia, Chicago Tribune (August 24, 1969)
- "A 39-year mystery: The hunt for a killer". Pennlive.com. Retrieved 2011-03-12.
- Jim Spoerhase (November 12, 1971). "Fatal Rampage Details Studied". Spokane Daily Chronicle. Retrieved December 26, 2012.
- Student amok kills two, The Straits Times (November 15, 1971)
- "A history of violence: Stanford's murderous past". Stanforddaily.com. Retrieved 2011-03-12.
- Berserk Youth Kills 6 at Hostel, Los Angeles Times (December 27, 1974)
- Student runs amok, kills six, Cedar Rapids Gazette (December 27, 1974)
- Former student kills two deans in Beirut. Waycross Journal-Herald (February 17, 1976)
- Fatal shooting disrupts television show filming, Ocala Star-Banner (February 20, 1976)
- One dead, nine injured in school shoot-out, St. Petersburg Times (February 20, 1976)
- Shooting spree leaves one dead, seven injured, Rome News-Tribune (February 20, 1976)
- 1 slain, 8 hurt in shooting spree, Toledo Blade (February 20, 1976)
- "Gun attack on students kills two, wounds five". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. October 7, 1979.
- Compiled FROM College newspapers. "Student Kills Professor in Class | The Harvard Crimson". Thecrimson.com. Retrieved 2013-02-01.
- "Tragedy in Bursley". Michigandaily.com. Retrieved 2011-03-12.
- Daniels, Felicia. "Alums Recall 1983 C.U. Murders|The Cornell Daily Sun". Cornellsun.com. Retrieved 2011-03-12.
- Student charged in killing on campus is called loner, The New York Times (August 14, 1986)
- "Scarred Woman Kills Student She Blamed for Disfigurement". Pqasb.pqarchiver.com. 1986-09-09. Retrieved 2011-03-12.
- "Killed Teacher, Self : More Light Shed on CSUN Gunman Who Took 2 Lives". L.A. Times. February 10, 1987. Retrieved August 2, 2014.
- Mann, Mann (June 7, 1992). "The Physics of Revenge". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2 April 2015.
- "Student Shoots 3 at Hearing In Utah, and Is Then Killed". Nytimes.com. 1993-07-09. Retrieved 2011-03-12.
- "Casualties of frat-related violence in UP". Gmanews.tv. Retrieved 2011-03-12.
- "SATAN GOES TO HARVARD Is "evil" the best explanation for Sinedu Tadesse's savage murder of her college roommate?". Salon.com. Retrieved 2011-03-12.
- SDSU News Release – L3 Memorial Park Honors SDSU Engineering Professors Archived September 12, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- "August 28, 1996". The Victoria Advocate. Retrieved May 10, 2013.
- CNN – Freshman kills dorm counselor, self – Oct. 17, 1996 Archived October 23, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- "A Day in the Life of Tippecanoe County". purdue.edu. Archived from the original on 15 December 2005. Retrieved 8 July 2015.
- Police arrest cadet suspected of shooting dead six at military training college, Interfax (March 9, 1997)
– Курсант расстрелял восемь сослуживцев, Kommersant (March 9, 1997)
- Font size Print E-mail Share (2000-08-30). "U. Arkansas Deaths Murder-Suicide". Cbsnews.com. Retrieved 2011-03-12.
- Ramsland, Katherine. "The Gallaudet Murders". truTV. Time Warner. Retrieved December 29, 2009.
- "Life and art of 'cool' prof remembered ; Homicide detective will stand watch at today's funeral". Pqasb.pqarchiver.com. January 27, 2001. Retrieved 2011-03-12.
- Kahn, Chris (June 11, 2004). "Law school shooting". Associated Press.
The 46-year-old Nigerian native is now the focus of lawsuits that … claim school officials knew Odighizuwa had a history of outbursts and should have realized he was a threat.
- Student stabs 8 classmates, News24 (September 15, 2003)
- University student stabs 8 schoolmates in Guangxi, China Daily (September 15, 2003)
- Estudante que se diz terrorista é acusado de matar dois na Bahia, Folha de S. Paulo (February 5, 2004)
- Student killer an introvert who finally cracks, China Daily (March 17, 2004)
- "Report of the Virginia Tech Review Panel". Commonwealth of Virginia. Retrieved 2008-09-16.
- Johnson, Annie; Thornburgh, Nathan (2007-04-20). "Witness: The Dormitory Murders". Time Magazine.
- "Fact File: Deadliest shootings in the U.S.". MSNBC. Retrieved 2008-09-16.
- La Trobe student repeatedly stabbed – National. theage.com.au (2007-05-09). Retrieved on 2010-08-16.
- Gunman Kills 2 at Missionary Center Near Denver
- "Church shooter wanted to be missionary". denverpost.com. Retrieved 8 July 2015.
- "Colorado gunman scared co-workers 5 years ago, one says". cnn.com. Retrieved 8 July 2015.
- "Woman Kills 2 Students in Louisiana College Classroom, Takes Own Life". Fox News. February 8, 2008. Retrieved 2008-02-08.
- "18 shot, five dead including gunman, at Northern Illinois University". CNN. 2008-02-14. Retrieved 2008-02-14.
- "Gunman Dead; More Than a Dozen Injured at Northern Illinois University". Fox News. 2008-02-14. Retrieved 2008-02-14.
- Meisner, Jason (2008-02-14). "NIU shooting leaves 6 dead". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 2008-02-14.
- "Shooting incident in Kauhajoki". News. Seinäjoki University of Applied Sciences. 2008-09-23. Retrieved 2008-09-23.
Seinäjoki University of Applied Sciences and the Vocational Education Centre Sedu have encountered a tragic shooting incident in their joint premises in Kauhajoki, 60 kilometers from Seinäjoki. A student of the university of applied sciences has killed at least nine other people with gun shots.
- Cser, Attila (2008-09-23). "Gunman kills 10, self in Finnish school shooting". Reuters. Retrieved 2008-09-24.
The killer, 22-year-old Matti Saari, started a fire in the school and then shot himself in the head. He died later in Tampere University Hospital.
- "Four People Facing Charges In Deadly Shooting At University Of Central Arkansas". KOLR. 2008-10-28. Retrieved 2009-04-28.[dead link]
- "Student Accused Of Shooting Homeless Man On Texas College Campus". kwtx.com. Retrieved 8 July 2015.
- "Photos prove students did not commit suicide: Forensics expert". thejarkatapost.com. Retrieved 20 June 2009.
- Two men perhaps involved in April shooting near Radford University
- "Greek gunman dies after shooting". BBC. news.bbc.co.uk. 2009-04-10. Retrieved 2009-04-10.
- Mingxin, Bi (2009-04-10). "4 injured in school shooting in Athens". Xinhua News. Retrieved 2009-04-11.
- Vradelis, Stelios (2009-04-11). Προετοιμασμένος για σφαγή. 19χρονος με 15 σφαίρες, τραυμάτισε 3 και αυτοκτόνησε γιατί "δεν άντεχε την απαξίωση". Ta Nea (in Greek). tanea.gr.
- "Shooting on Hampton University Campus Leaves 3 Injured". Fox News. Associated Press. 2009-04-26. Retrieved 2009-04-27.[dead link]
- "Three shot at Hampton University". Richmond Times-Dispatch. Associated Press. 2009-04-26. Retrieved 2009-04-27.[dead link]
- "Hampton University shooting suspect arraigned". Daily Press. WTKR. 2009-05-01. Retrieved 2009-05-04.
- "HU shooting suspect appears in court". WAVY. 2009-04-29. Retrieved 2009-05-04.
- "Stabbing at Virginia Union University campus". nbc12.com. 28 April 2009. Retrieved 8 July 2015.
- "Azerbaijan gunman kills 12 at university". CNN. 2009-04-30. Retrieved 2009-04-30.
- Yu, Xi (April 13, 2011). "Kirkland trial Day 7: Blayn Jiggetts says it wasn't worth it". Harvard Crimson.
Copney and Aquino, who thought they could better impersonate Harvard students, met Cosby in his car … according to Jiggetts.
- Pratt, Mark (May 22, 2009). "New Edition songwriter pleads not guilty to fatal shooting at Harvard dorm". Associated Press.
- Finucane, Martin; Ellement, John (October 1, 2011). "Student linked to slaying is jailed". Boston Globe.
She pleaded guilty to being an accessory after the fact of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon….
- Szaniszlo, Marie (April 23, 2011). "Harvard shooter gets life". Boston Herald. p. 10.
- Van Derbeken, Jaxon (2009-09-02). "Student shot at Skyline College parking lot". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved 2009-09-02.
- "Campus Shooting: Police Hunt Three Suspects". Sky News. 2009-09-02. Retrieved 2009-09-02.
- "Student Slashed in UCLA Lab Expected to Recover as Police Search for Motive". Fox News. Retrieved 8 July 2015.
- Arrest made in case of University of Connecticut student-athlete Jasper Howard
- "Man charged in murder of UConn Huskies' Jasper Howard". ESPN.com. Retrieved 8 July 2015.
- Shooting at Hungarian university leaves 1 dead
- "One dead, 3 wounded in college shooting". ABC News. Retrieved 8 July 2015.
- Student Held in Killing of Binghamton Professor
- Staff Reports. "Al-Zahrani pleas guilty, sentenced to 15 years". Pipe Dream. Retrieved 8 July 2015.
- Chinese student kills secretary in French stabbing spree, AFP (January 13, 2010)
- "College students stabbed in dorms in south China". Reuters. Retrieved 8 July 2015.
- "9 wounded in latest knife attack in China". cnn.com. Retrieved 8 July 2015.
- WRAL. "Student found shot to death at university in Elizabeth City". WRAL.com. Retrieved 8 July 2015.
- "Autopsy scheduled in Elizabeth City university shooting". The Virginian-Pilot. Retrieved 8 July 2015.
- University shooting suspect arrested
- "Shooting at Ohio frat house kills 1, hurts 11". USATODAY.COM. Retrieved 8 July 2015.
- "El Universal - - Explota paquete en Tec-Edomex; hay dos heridos". eluniversal.com.mx. 13 June 2013. Retrieved 8 July 2015.
- "El Universal EdoMex - 10 datos de la explosión en el Tec Estado de México: Multimedia". eluniversaledomex.mx. Retrieved 8 July 2015.
- "Most Popular E-mail Newsletter". USA Today. April 2, 2012.
- "Border guards stop university murder suspect carrying $334,000 cash". June 17, 2012.
- "Edmonton U of A triple-killer Travis Baumgartner gets life sentence, no chance o". Calgary Sun. Retrieved 8 July 2015.
- Hamilton, Matt; Flexter, Matt (March 12, 2013). "UPDATE: USC Shooting Suspect Heads to Felony Arraignment". Annenberg TV News. Retrieved September 14, 2013.
- Almendrala, Anna (March 12, 2013). "Brandon Spencer, USC Halloween Shooting Suspect, Pleads Not Guilty To Four Counts Of Attempted Murder (UPDATE)". Huffington Post. Retrieved September 14, 2013.
- "Son-kills-father-inside-casper-college-classroom". trib.com.
- School violence, Viet Nam News, 2012.
- Salter, Jim (January 17, 2013). "Suspect in St. Louis school shooting had warrant". Associated Press.
- Campbell, Beth (January 15, 2013). "Gunman wounds man, himself at St. Louis school". Huffington Post. Retrieved January 15, 2013.
- Holmes, Evelyn; Knowles, Jason (January 17, 2013). "Teen fatally shot after CPS basketball game at CSU". ABC News. Retrieved January 15, 2013.
- "Lone Star College Shooting Leaves 3 Injured, 'Persons of Interest' in Custody". ABC News. Retrieved 22 January 2013.
- 14 People Stabbed at Lone Star Community College in Texas, ABC News (April 9, 2013)
- Lone Star Stabbing: Suspect Arrested After Texas Community College Attack, Huffington Post (April 9, 2013)
- Official: 2 women shot at Virginia community college; suspect detained, CNN (April 12, 2013)
- Boyd, Kurt; Russell, Ty (April 16, 2013). "UPDATE:Three students shot at Grambling State University". KNOE 8. Retrieved February 12, 2014.
- Sutton, Joe (November 2, 2013). "1 shot at North Carolina university". CNN. Retrieved November 2, 2013.
- "Campus lockdown lifted, search continues after one person shot on Widener University campus in Chester, Pa.". January 20, 2014. Retrieved January 23, 2014.
- "Purdue shooting suspect Cody Cousins fatally shot Andrew Boldt, cops say". January 21, 2014. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "Purdue University shooter found dead in cell in apparent suicide". news.com.au. 30 October 2014. Retrieved 4 November 2014.
- "1 injured in South Carolina State University shooting". January 24, 2014. Retrieved January 24, 2014.
- "Valley College Murder Leads to 2 Arrests". January 27, 2014. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- "Tennessee State University Shooting: Gunman Opens Fire On Campus, Injuring 1". January 28, 2014. Retrieved February 11, 2014.
- "Three people involved in shooting at Palm Bay college claim self-defense". WFTV. Orlando, Fla. January 30, 2014.
- "Drive-by shooting reported near University of Southern California". Daily News. New York. February 12, 2014. Retrieved February 25, 2014.
- "SJSU Police Fatally Shoot Man Wielding Knife". February 21, 2014. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- "Shooting at Georgia Regents University". February 22, 2014. Retrieved February 26, 2014.
- "1 in custody after shooting at Paine College injures 1 [Article refers to two shootings, the earlier one is at the end of the article]". May 5, 2014. Retrieved May 5, 2014.
- "1 in custody after shooting at Paine College injures 1 [Article refers to two shootings, the later one is at the beginning of the article]". May 5, 2014. Retrieved May 5, 2014.
- "Shooting at Georgia Gwinnett College". May 8, 2014. Retrieved May 8, 2014.
- Hospital: 1 dead, 3 wounded in shooting at Seattle college campus, CNN, June 5, 2014.
- "Indiana State University student arrested in campus shooting". Reuters. September 28, 2014. Retrieved September 28, 2014.
- Sean Rossman & Karl Etters, Tallahassee Democrat (20 November 2014). "Update: TPD: FSU shooter was in emotional, psychological 'crisis'". Tallahassee Democrat. Retrieved 8 July 2015.
- Sean Rossman, Karl Etters and John Bacon, USA TODAY (20 November 2014). "Police identify shooter in Florida State tragedy". USA TODAY. Retrieved 8 July 2015.
- "CITY MANAGER: One person killed in Wayne Community College shooting". WITN News. April 13, 2015. Retrieved April 13, 2015.
- "Savannah State University student dies in campus shooting". CNN. August 28, 2015.
- "1 Jailed, Gunman Still Sought in Sacramento College Shooting". ABC News. September 4, 2015.
- "'I saw him': Eyewitness account of Ore. gunman". MSNBC. October 1, 2015. Retrieved October 1, 2015.
- "Chris Harper Mercer identified as Umpqua Community College shooter". The Washington Times. October 1, 2015. Retrieved October 1, 2015.
- "Deadly Shooting Reported on University Campus in Arizona". ABC News. October 9, 2015. Retrieved October 9, 2015.
- 1 dead in shooting at Tennessee State University in Nashville, CNN, October 23, 2015.
- 1 killed in shooting at Winston-Salem State University in North Carolina, CNN, November 1, 2015.
- Martinez, Michael (4 November 2015). "Student-suspect fatally shot after stabbing 5 at UC Merced". CNN. Retrieved 4 November 2015.
- "Cornell campus 'large fight' ends with student killed". CNN.
- Including death or injury of attacker(s), when applicable.