List of attacks related to primary schools
This is a list of attacks related to primary schools. These are attacks that have occurred on school property or related primarily to school issues or events. A narrow definition of attack is used for this list to exclude attacks during warfare, robberies, gang violence, political or police attacks (as related to protests),accidents, single suicides, and murder-suicides by rejected spouses or suitors, as they are not the type of mass murder event that is the focus of concern. Incidents that involved only staff who work at the school have been classified as belonging at List of workplace killings. It also excludes events where no injuries take place, if an attack is foiled. Accounts without reliable sources have been deleted.
Primary school and kindergarten incidents
|August 16, 1856||Florence, Alabama, United States||2 dead||2||The school master warned his students not to harm his tame sparrow. One boy stepped on the bird and killed it. Days later when the boy returned to school, the master took him into a private room and strangled him to death. The boy's father went to the school and shot the schoolmaster dead.|
|February 6, 1864||Ashland County, Ohio, United States||George W. Longfelt||1 dead||1||The school teacher of the Pyfer's School House, George W. Longfelt, shot and killed student Alfred Desem, and fled.|
|February 16, 1867||Knights Ferry, California, United States||2 dead||2||Mr. McGinnis threatened his daughter's teacher after the girl was expelled from school. When McGinnis' son learned of the expulsion, he went to the school and killed the teacher.|
|June 8, 1867||New York City, New York, United States||Arthur Day, 13||1 injured||1||At Public School No. 18, 13-year-old Arthur Day brought a loaded pistol, and shot and injured classmate Robert Morton.|
|December 22, 1868||Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States||3 dead||3||A boy who refused to be whipped and left school, returning with his brother and a friend the next day to seek revenge on his teacher. They went to his house and engaged in a gun battle, which resulted in three dead. Only the brother of the first boy survived.|
|February 11, 1873||Wisconsin, United States||1 injured||1||A father shot the school mistress for whipping his son.|
|December 1, 1881||Santa Monica, California, United States||Mr. Williams||1 dead||1||While working late on the program for the children's concert at the school house, the school master O'Donnell, and the father of the Williams boy got into an argument. The Williams parent fatally shot O'Donnell in the back.|
|December 22, 1881||Shelby County, Indiana, United States||Charles J. Gregory||1 injured||1||Charles J. Gregory, a school teacher, shot at a pupil at close range because he refused to write on the a slate. The teacher was arrested.|
|February 28, 1884||Danville, Virginia, United States||Allen Wamack, 15||2 injured||2||As Allen Wamack, a fifteen-year-old boy drove by a "negro" school house, he called out "school butter." The entire school emptied out and attacked him, several shot were fired at him, and he returned fire shooting two students.|
|June 12, 1887||Cleveland, Tennessee, United States||Will Guess||1 dead||1||Will Guess went to the school and fatally shot Miss Irene Fann, teacher of his little sister, for whipping the girl the day before.|
|April 24, 1890||Brazil, Indiana, United States||Ben Corbery||1 injured||1||While the pupils of the Meridian Street School were playing, student Ben Corbery drew a revolver and shot Cora Brubach, aged 10, seriously wounding her in the face. The girl had earlier informed the teacher of Ben's misconduct.|
|March 21, 1891||Liberty, Mississippi, United States||14 injured||14||During a school exhibition and concert given at the Parson Hill schoolhouse, the large, mixed audience had both black and white attendees: teachers, pupils, and spectators. An unknown assailant fired a double barreled shotgun into the crowd, wounding 14 people, some seriously.|
|April 9, 1891||Newburgh, New York, United States||James Foster, 70||5 injured||5||70-year-old James Foster fired a shotgun at a group of male students in the playground of St. Mary's Parochial School, causing minor injuries to several.|
|December 12, 1898||Charleston, West Virginia, United States||6 dead, several injured||6||unknown||During the School exhibition, a group of young men attempted to break up a student performance. The teacher Fisher tried to throw the trouble makers out, but the group turned on him. Several of the audience members jumped up to assist and a free-for-all fight broke out. Harry Flasher was shot in the heart and instantly killed, Henry Carney was fatally shot in the back, Ralph Jones and two others were also fatally shot, and Haz Harding had his skull crushed. George Gibson was shot in the hand, and several others received minor wounds.|
|December 21, 1898||New York City, New York, United States||Samuel Jacobson, 8||1 injured||1||Samuel Jacobson, student at Grammar School 85, stabbed his 8-year-old classmate Hans Pietze with a pocketknife after he fell over the latter's foot. Both students were said to have quarreled often before.|
|October 6, 1902||Droyssig, Austria-Hungary||..., 40||4 dead, 3 injured||4||3||A schoolmaster shot and killed three children and injured another three, before he was lynched by infuriated villagers.|
|September 27, 1904||Mount Ayr, Iowa, United States||Samuel Égly||1 dead||1||Two school directors got into a heated discussion over school business. When Director Samuel Égly threatened Director William Kling with an ax, Kling shot Égly through the heart and killed him.|
|March 23, 1907||Carmi, Illinois, United States||George Nicholson||1 dead||1||George Nicholson shot and killed John Kurd at a schoolhouse outside of Carmi, Illinois during a school rehearsal. Kurd had made a disparaging remark about Nicholson's daughter during her recital.|
|September 11, 1909||Gravette, Arkansas, United States||John Butram||1 dead||1||John Butram, an unruly student at the Bear Hollow School, said that school is canceled. When the teacher, A. T. Kelly, insisted that the day's lesson was not over, Butram drew his knife. The teacher shot him in self-defense.|
|January 12, 1910||New York City, New York, United States||1 dead, 1 injured||1||1||"A black bearded maniac drew an automatic pistol" and fired five shots into a crowd of Harlem School boys who were taunting him. He hit Robert Lomas, aged 6, in the heart and the boy died instantly; Arthur Shively, aged 6, was shot through the left lung and critically wounded.|
|June 20, 1913||Bremen, Germany||Heinz Schmidt, 30||5 dead, 23 injured||5||23||Bremen school shooting. 30-year-old unemployed teacher Heinz Schmidt entered St.-Marien-Schule and indiscriminately shot at students and teachers, killing four students and injuring 23 other people. Another student died from injuries sustained when she fell downstairs while trying to escape the shooting. A furious crowd outside the school eventually subdued Schmidt, and he was arrested by police.|
|September 22, 1916||Bemidji, Minnesota, United States||1 injured||1||Miss Olga Dahl, the 19-year-old teacher at the Round Lake District School, was found tied to a tree near the school, assaulted, and shot twice in the face. She had been working late the night before after all the pupils had left, when a man with a revolver entered the school house and ordered her to keep quiet and obey him. She was not expected to live, and all available men in Ithasca County joined in the hunt for the assailant.|
|December 26, 1916||Danville, Kentucky, United States||Thomas Thornton||1 dead, 3 injured||1||3||During the Christmas tree celebration at the Harris Creek School attended by children and visitors, a fight broke out. William Benedict, Sr. was instantly shot dead; William Benedict, Jr. was shot in the ankle; Bourdon Galloway was shot in the right arm; and Mike Gaddis was shot in the leg. Many others were injured by diving out windows and ducking under seats. Thomas Thornton was reported to have been drinking and been told to calm down Benedict; Thomas' brother George gave him a revolver.|
|October 28, 1917||Chicago, Illinois, United States||William Carter, 16
Ralph Carter, 15
|1 injured||1||Overnight two brothers, William (16) and Ralph Carter (15), broke into the May public school, robbing the phone boxes and teachers' desks. When they were discovered by the Howard Parks, the janitor, and Thomas Conway, a policeman, a gun battle broke out and William Carter was shot. He was taken to the hospital and was not expected to live, and his brother Ralph was taken to jail.|
|November 29, 1917||Manes, Missouri, United States||1 injured||1||At the Perkins school's Thanksgiving night pie supper, teacher Joe Todd, age 21, was mysteriously shot. The bullet passed through his body, but he was expected to recover.|
|October 22, 1920||Chicago, Illinois, United States||Carmila Rindoni||1 injured||1||Mrs. Carmila Rindoni, went to the school and shot Miss Rosalind I. Reynolds, her son's teacher, twice for spanking her son the day before. Mrs. Rindoni was arrested, and Reynolds was expected to recover.|
|February 17, 1922||Valdosta, Georgia, United States||John Glover||2 dead||2||John Glover broke into the school house and shot and killed a school girl and fatally wounded a boy. A mob was formed and tracked and killed Glover 7 miles (11 km) away in Indianola, now Naylor, Georgia.|
|October 19, 1923||Waikino, New Zealand||John Christopher Higgins||2 dead, 8 injured||2||8||John Higgins, a middle-aged firewood dealer from Canada, was seeking revenge for the alleged killing of three of his horses by other Waikino residents. He entered the local public school armed with a revolver, knife and explosives. He shot headmaster Robert Reid, and went to the classroom, where he fatally shot two boys, aged 9 and 13 years, wounding four other pupils by gunshots. Two children were injured while trying to escape. Higgins was arrested after a shoot-out with police in which he wounded a policeman. He was convicted and sentenced to death four months later; his sentence was commuted to life imprisonment, as it was found that he had been insane at the time of the shooting.|
|May 18, 1927||Bath, Michigan,
|Andrew Kehoe, 55||45 dead, 58 injured||45||58||Bath School disaster. School board member Andrew Kehoe set up a series of bombs within the Bath Consolidated School. Before blowing up the school, Kehoe murdered his wife and set fire to his farmhouse. As townspeople responding to the explosions at the school started relief efforts, Kehoe detonated his shrapnel-filled vehicle outside the school and killed himself, injuring more persons. The bombings constituted the deadliest act of mass murder in any type of school setting in U.S. history.|
|April 1936||Inowrocław, Poland||Stefan Bykowski||3 dead, 2 injured||3||2||The day after he had been fired for drinking excessively, teacher Stefan Bykowski returned to his classroom, where he shot and killed the substitute teacher. He killed another teacher and the principal when they came to investigate, then barricaded himself in another room to await police. After gravely wounding one of the officers, he tried to commit suicide by shooting himself with his last round, but survived and was tried.|
|October 25, 1940||Cincinnati, Ohio, United States||Guy Willie Ponder, 27||1 dead||1||10-year-old Clarence Stevens, a third-grade pupil at Holy Name School, was stabbed to death inside a storeroom at the school by 27-year-old Guy Willie Ponder.|
|May 9, 1944||New York City, New York, United States||Madeline Kirkland, 11
Eileen Foster, 13
|1 dead||1||Nine-year-old Margaret Patton was attacked and killed at PS 119 in Harlem by two fellow students. One stabbed her to death. Police arrested 11-year-old Madeline Kirkland, who was charged with murder, and 13-year-old Eileen Foster, who was charged with juvenile delinquency as her accessory.|
|October 10, 1956||Terrazzano, Italy||Arturo Santato, 23
Egidio Santato, 21
|1 dead, 4 injured||1||4||Arturo Santato, a former inmate of an asylum in Aversa, and his brother Egidio went into a school in Terrazzano, near Milan, carrying guns, dynamite and acid. They took 96 children and three teachers hostage for about six hours. They demanded 200 millon lira for the release of their hostages or they would kill them. Using the children as shields, they fired shots at people outside the school, killing one person and injuring another three. The hostage crisis ended when one teacher tackled Egidio, grabbed a knife and stabbed him in the head. The attack distracted the brothers long enough so that police could storm the classroom without endangering the children's lives.|
|September 15, 1959||Houston, Texas,
|Paul Harold Orgeron, 49||6 dead, 19 injured||6||19||After Paul Orgeron's second-grade son was denied enrollment at Poe Elementary School, he detonated an explosive on the playground, killing himself, his son Dusty, a teacher, a custodian and two seven-year-old boys. The school principal and 18 students aged six to ten were injured, many seriously.|
|February 2, 1960||Hartford City, Indiana, United States||Leonard O. Redden, 44||3 dead||3||Principal Leonard Redden shot and killed two teachers with a shotgun at William Reed Elementary School in Hartford City, Indiana, before fleeing into a forest, where he committed suicide.|
|June 7, 1960||Blaine, Minnesota, United States||Lester Betts, 40||1 dead||1||Lester Betts, a 40-year-old mail-carrier, went into the office of 33-year-old principal Carson Hammond and shot him to death with a shotgun.|
|June 11, 1964||Cologne, Germany||Walter Seifert, 42||11 dead, 22 injured||11||22||Cologne school massacre. Armed with an insecticide sprayer converted into a flamethrower, a lance, and a homemade mace, 42-year-old Walter Seifert entered the Katholische Volksschule in Cologne, Germany, and opened fire on female students playing in the courtyard. He knocked in classroom windows and fired inside. Eight children and two teachers died, and twenty children and two teachers suffered injuries of severe burns. After swallowing poisonous insecticide, Seifert died the following day, while in custody.|
|November 8, 1971||Grove, Oklahoma, United States||James Underwood||1 dead||1||Principal T.J. Melton was shot to death by James Underwood, a school custodian. Underwood was charged with first-degree murder but was never tried, as he was ruled mentally unfit for trial. He was committed to a mental hospital, where he died in 1974.|
|January 17, 1974||Chicago, Illinois, United States||Steven Guy, 14||1 dead, 3 injured||1||3||14-year-old Steven Guy, apparently angry about being transferred to a social adjustment center, entered Clara W. Barton Elementary School in Chicago with a revolver and a pistol and killed the principal and wounded three others before being stopped after his guns jammed.|
|October 10, 1977||San Juan, Trinidad and Tobago||5 dead||5||A man running through the halls of El Socorro public school killed four children with a machete; while trying to escape, he killed a woman outside the school. He was later arrested by police.|
|April 26, 1978||Dallas, Texas, United States||..., 56||1 dead||1||Woodrow Porter, 38, a janitor at Paul Dunbar Elementary School, was shot to death by the 56-year-old grandmother of an 8-year-old who was allegedly earlier spanked by Porter.|
|January 29, 1979||San Diego, California, United States||Brenda Ann Spencer, 16||2 dead, 9 injured||2||9||Armed with a rifle, 16-year-old Brenda Ann Spencer opened fire at Cleveland Elementary School, killing two adults and wounding eight children and one police officer. When apprehended after a six-hour stand-off, she said of her motive, "I don't like Mondays. This livens up the day."|
|March 20, 1980||Dallas, Texas, United States||1 dead||1||Rosie Pearson, 49, fifth grade teacher, was shot to death in the hallway of J. Leslie Patton School, by an unknown assailant.|
|June 3, 1982||Shamshuipo, Hong Kong||Li Chihang, 28||5 dead, 43 injured||5||43||Anne Anne Kindergarten stabbing. After stabbing his mother and sister to death and injuring two bystanders, 28-year-old Li Chihang entered Anne Anne Kindergarten and started stabbing people. He killed three children and injured 40 other people in the attack. Li was arrested after being shot by a police officer. He was found to be insane and was sentenced to committal to a mental institution.|
|August 13, 1983||Chiang Rai Province, Thailand||Suthat Wannasarn, 43||3 dead, 3 injured||3||3||43-year-old Suthat Wannasarn attacked children at a nursery school in Chiang Rai Province with a sword and a large stick, killing three and wounded two more. Wannasarn was arrested by police after being shot in the abdomen.|
|February 24, 1984||Los Angeles, California, United States||Tyrone Mitchell, 28||2 dead, 13 injured||2||13||28-year-old Tyrone Mitchell began shooting from a window at students leaving 49th Street Elementary School across the street in Los Angeles; he used a shotgun and a rifle. He killed a 10-year-old girl and wounded 11 other children, in addition to a schoolyard supervisor and a passer-by. When police finally stormed the building, they found Mitchell's body; he had committed suicide with his shotgun. Mitchell had lost his parents, grandmother, brother and four sisters in the Jonestown massacre.|
|May 16, 1986||Cokeville, Wyoming,
|2 dead, 79 injured||2||79||Cokeville Elementary School hostage crisis. David Young, and his wife Doris Young, took 167 children and adults hostage at Cokeville Elementary School. After a two-and-a-half hour standoff, a gasoline bomb the couple was carrying went off prematurely, injuring Doris Young while David was out of the room. Returning to the room, Young shot his wife and himself, killing both. All the hostages escaped; 79 were later hospitalized with burns and injuries.|
|August 31, 1988||Anderson, South Carolina, United States||Kevin Dean Young,
Arthur Ray Jones
|1 dead||1||Principal Dennis Ray Hepler, 35, was accosted by three young men outside West Franklin Elementary School. They robbed him of $67 before shooting him to death. Two of the perpetrators were sentenced to death. The third was sentenced to 35 years in prison. A fourth man was convicted as an accessory for driving them from the scene.|
|September 23, 1988||Chicago, Illinois, United States||Clemmie Henderson, 40||5 dead,
|5||2||Armed with a pistol, 40-year-old Clemmie Henderson shot two people dead at an auto parts store and wounded a garbage man before entering Montefiore Special Elementary School; there he killed a school custodian and a police officer. He wounded another police officer before he was shot and killed.|
|September 26, 1988||Greenwood, South Carolina, United States||James William Wilson, 19||2 dead, 9 injured||2||9||James Wilson, 19, took a pistol to Oakland Elementary School where he shot and killed two students and injured seven other students and two teachers. Wilson was sentenced to death by electric chair.|
|January 17, 1989||Stockton, California, United States||Patrick Purdy, 24||6 dead, 30 injured||6||30||Patrick Purdy shot and killed five schoolchildren, and wounded 29 other schoolchildren and one teacher on the playground of Cleveland Elementary School. The shooting ended with Purdy committing suicide.|
|January 10, 1994||Maradi, Niger||5 dead, 1 injured||5||1||A former psychiatric patient, armed with a club, beat four children to death in a madrasah in Maradi, and also killed a woman trying to stop him. Trying to escape, the man was captured and severely beaten by an angry crowd.|
|April 12, 1994||Butte, Montana, United States||Jason Osmanson, 10||1 dead||1||10-year-old Jason Osmanson, teased because his parents have AIDS, shot and killed an 11-year-old on the playground of Margaret Leary Elementary School. Osmanson was sent to a private residential treatment center.|
|July 10, 1995||Meihekou, China||Dong Chi||2 dead, 16 injured||2||16||An assailant armed with a double-barreled shotgun and garden shears attacked staff and students at a kindergarten in Meihekou, killing a six-year-old girl and wounding 15 other students and a teacher. The assailant, identified as Dong Chi, was shot and killed by police.|
|March 13, 1996||Dunblane, Scotland, United Kingdom||Thomas Hamilton, 44||18 dead, 15 injured *plus the death of Gwen Mayor's unborn baby||18||15||Unemployed former shopkeeper and Scout leader Thomas Hamilton walked into Dunblane Primary School armed with two pistols and two revolvers. He killed sixteen children and a teacher, and wounded 15 others before committing suicide. The legislature banned handguns in Scotland with the Firearms (Amendment) (No. 2) Act 1997.|
|July 8, 1996||Blakenhall, Wolverhampton, England, United Kingdom||Horrett Campbell, 33||7 injured||7||Wolverhampton machete attack. Horrett Campbell, a 33-year-old man with paranoid schizophrenia, invaded a picnic at St Luke's Primary School and slashed three young children and four adults with a machete.|
|October 10, 1996||Cairns, Queensland, Australia||Paul Streeton, 26||1 injured||1||Paul Streeton set six-year-old Tjandamurra O'Shane on fire in the playground of his school, burning over 70% of his body.|
|August 1998||Henan, China||2 dead, 15 injured||2||15||A teacher, an ex-soldier, stabbed two children to death and wounded 15 others.|
|September 3, 1998||Hajdúhadház, Hungary||..., 31||11 injured||11||A 31-year-old female teacher stabbed eight children and three teachers in the canteen of a primary school in Hajdúhadház.|
|September 14, 1998||Hejiang County, China||Lin Peiqing||23 injured||23||Ex-soldier Lin Peiqing stabbed 23 elementary school children during a morning flag-raising ceremony.|
|February 22, 1999||Gulbene, Latvia||Alexander Koryakov, 19||4 dead, 1 injured||4||1||19-year-old Alexander Koryakov entered a Gulbene kindergarten and hacked three girls to death with a meat cleaver. He also killed a teacher and wounded a nurse before trying to escape. After his arrest, he told police that he wanted to become famous. Koryakov was sentenced to life imprisonment in December 1999.|
|May 3, 1999||Costa Mesa, California, United States||Steven Allen Abrams, 39||2 dead, 5 injured||2||5||Steven Allen Abrams purposefully drove his car onto the playground of Southcoast Early Childhood Learning Center. He killed two children and injured four other children and an adult. Abrams later said he thought the murders would silence the voices the US government was beaming into his brain.|
|February 29, 2000||Mount Morris Township, Michigan, United States||Dedrick Owens, 6||1 dead||1||Dedrick Owens took a pistol to Buell Elementary School from his uncle's home and used it to kill 6-year-old Kayla Rolland.|
|February 2, 2001||Red Lion, Pennsylvania,
|William Stankewicz, 55||13 injured||13||William Stankewicz entered North Hopewell Winterstown Elementary School and slashed two teachers and a principal with a machete. He wounded several children in a kindergarten before being subdued by a faculty member.|
|May 7, 2001||Anchorage, Alaska, United States||Jason Pritchard, 33||4 injured||4||33-year-old Jason Pritchard stabbed four young students in the neck at Mountain View Elementary School.|
|June 8, 2001||Ikeda, Osaka,
|Mamoru Takuma, 37||8 dead, 15 injured||8||15||Osaka school massacre. Armed with a kitchen knife, a 37-year-old former janitor Mamoru Takuma went into Ikeda Elementary School, attached to Osaka-Kyoiku University, and stabbed school children and teachers, killing 8 children and wounding 15 wounded, including 13 children and two teachers.|
|September 4, 2002||Seoul, South Korea||Hwang Bom-nae, 53||10 injured||10||10 children were injured at Neung Dong Church Elementary School in Seoul, when Hwang Bom-nae attacked them with kitchen knives. Hwang told police he heard the voice of Kim Il-Sung that commanded him to kill many people or he would be killed.|
|November 26, 2002||Huaiji county, China||Shi Ruoqiu||5 dead, 2 injured||5||2||Shi Ruoqiu stabbed seven children at Shilong Elementary School with a kitchen knife before being arrested. One child died at the scene, while four more died of their wounds in hospital.|
|March 7, 2003||Beihai, China||Xie Zhongcai, 24||8 injured||8||24-year-old Xie Zhongcai stabbed four teachers and four children in a kindergarten in Beihai. He had been rejected by one of the teachers, who had arranged for him to be beaten up. Xie was finally overpowered by staff members and the father of one of the kindergarten children.|
|June 1, 2004||Sasebo, Nagasaki, Japan||Unidentified girl, 11||1 dead||1||An 11-year-old student, identified only as "Girl A", killed a 12-year-old classmate, Satomi Mitarai, by slitting her throat at Okubo Elementary School in Sasebo.|
|September 11, 2004||Suzhou,
|Yang Guozhu, 41||28 injured||28||A man armed with a knife and homemade explosives attacked 28 children at a kindergarten.|
|September 20, 2004||Ying County, China||Jia Qingyou, 36||25 injured||25||36-year-old Jia Qingyou, a bus driver, injured 25 children with a kitchen knife at No. 1 Experimental Primary School in Ying County. He was later sentenced to death and executed.|
|September 30, 2004||Chenzhou, China||Liu Hongwen, 28||4 dead, 12 injured||4||12||Liu Hongwen, a 28-year-old primary school teacher, killed four children with a knife in a first grade class at a school in Chenzhou, wounding nine other children and three teachers. He took 65 students hostage. After negotiations with a county official, he surrendered to police. He was later found not guilty by reason of insanity due to schizophrenia.|
|December 4, 2004||Mingcheng Town, China||Liu Zhigang, 30||12 injured||12||12 students were stabbed by Liu Zhigang, a man suffering from schizophrenia, at the Central Primary School of Mingcheng Town, Panshi City. Liu was found not guilty by reason of insanity.|
|February 14, 2005||Neyagawa, Japan||..., 17||1 dead, 2 injured||1||2||A 17-year-old boy stabbed two teachers and a school nutritionist with a kitchen knife at his former elementary school, killing one of the teachers.|
|October 12, 2005||Guangde County, China||Liu Shibing, 33||18 injured||18||18 people, among them 16 children, were injured when Liu Shibing shot them with six home-made guns at Niutoushan Primary School in Guangde.|
|December 10, 2005||Uji, Japan||Yu Hagino, 23||1 dead||1||23-year-old teacher Yu Hagino stabbed 12-year-old Sayano Horimoto to death at a cram school in Uji, following a verbal dispute. Yu was sentenced to 18 years in prison in March 2007.|
|May 8, 2006||Shiguan, China||Bai Ningyang, 19||12 dead, 5 injured||12||5||Shiguan kindergarten attack. Armed with two knives and petrol 19-year-old Bai Ningyang entered a classroom of a kindergarten in Shiguan, a village near Gongyi. He forced the 21 children and the teacher to the back of the room, sprayed the floor with gasoline, and, before setting it on fire, let one child go, because he knew their parents. Bai locked the door and escaped. 12 of the children died; four others and the teacher were wounded. Bai was arrested the next day and sentenced to death in December 2007.|
|May 24, 2006||Luoying, China||Yang Xinlong, 35||2 dead, 2 injured||2||2||35-year-old farmer Yang Xinlong hacked his aunt to death, set her house on fire and injured another person after an argument; he next went to Luoying Primary School where he stabbed a third-grade child to death and took 18 others hostage for several hours. When Yang refused to let the children go, he was shot and arrested by police.|
|October 2, 2006||Lancaster County, Pennsylvania,
|Charles Carl Roberts, 32||6 dead, 5 injured||6||5||Charles Carl Roberts, a 32-year-old milk-tank truck driver, took hostages and eventually shot ten girls, killing five (aged 7–13), before killing himself at West Nickel Mines School, a one-room Amish schoolhouse.|
|June 13, 2007||Chiling, China||Su Qianxiao, 42||1 dead, 3 injured||1||3||A nine-year-old boy was killed when Su Qianxiao, a 42-year-old villager, stabbed four children with a kitchen knife at Chiling Primary School. He was caught by locals before he could commit suicide.|
|August 4, 2007||Newark, New Jersey,
|José Carranza, 28, and two 15-year-old unidentified boys||3 dead, 1 wounded||3||1||In what is known as the Newark Schoolyard Killings, three Delaware State University students were forced to kneel against an elementary school wall and were shot execution-style by 28-year-old Jose Carranza and two 15-year-old juveniles. A fourth student was found with gunshot wounds to her head.|
|September 13, 2007||Hengyang, China||Kuang Xi, 28||1 dead, 5 injured||1||5||28-year-old Kuang Xi, an allegedly mentally disturbed man, hurled five girls and one boy out of a window on the third floor of Hongqiao Primary School, killing a nine-year-old girl. He was subdued by four men, before he could throw out a seventh child.|
|January 7, 2009||Budapest, Hungary||Unknown||2 dead, 1 injured||2||1||A principal and a teacher were killed by a security guard and an administrator at a private elementary school in the 21 district of Budapest at 6:40 pm. The guard afterwards shot himself in the hand to support claims the deed was the act of an unknown masked gunman. The perpetrators had been fired by the principal on suspicion of embezzling.|
|January 23, 2009||Tromsø, Norway||2 dead||2||A man shot and killed a female trainee teacher and then fatally shot himself in the car park of a kindergarten. The shooting occurred just as children were arriving for school.|
|January 23, 2009||Sint-Gillis-bij-Dendermonde, Dendermonde, Belgium||Kim De Gelder, 20||4 dead, 12 injured||4||12||Kim De Gelder entered a kindergarten in Belgium and started stabbing people. Two babies and a 54-year-old woman were stabbed to death and twelve other people were injured in the attack. De Gelder also stabbed a 73-year-old woman to death in her apartment days earlier.|
|March 3, 2009||Mazhan, China||Xu Ximei, 40||2 dead, 4 injured||2||4||40-year-old Xu Ximei, an allegedly mentally disabled woman, stabbed two boys, aged 4 and 6, to death with a kitchen knife and injured another three children, as well as the 76-year-old grandmother of one of her victims at the primary school of Mazhan village in Guangdong province. She was later found lying in a classroom and arrested.|
|March 23, 2010||Nanping, China||Zheng Minsheng, 41||8 dead, 5 injured||8||5||Nanping school stabbings. Eight children were hacked to death with a machete and five others were injured outside an elementary school in Nanping. The assailant, identified as 41-year-old Zheng Minsheng, was restrained by school security guards and then arrested by police.|
|April 13, 2010||Xichang, China||Yang Jiaqin, 40||2 dead, 5 injured||2||5||An assailant armed with a meat cleaver attacked students and bystanders outside an elementary school, killing a schoolboy and an elderly woman and wounding three other children and two adults before being arrested by police. The assailant, identified as 40-year-old Yang Jiaqin, was reported to be mentally ill.|
|April 28, 2010||Leizhou, China||Chen Kangbing, 33||17 injured||17||Chen Kangbing stabbed and injured 16 students and one teacher at Leicheng First Primary School in Leizhou before being restrained by teachers and arrested by police.|
|April 29, 2010||Taixing, China||Xu Yuyuan, 47||32 injured||32||Xu Yuyuan stabbed 29 children, two teachers and a security guard at the Zhongxin Kindergarten in Taixing. Five of the injured children were reported in critical condition.|
|April 30, 2010||Weifang, China||Wang Yonglai, 45||1 dead, 6 injured||1||6||Wang Yonglai, a 45-year-old farmer, used a motorcycle to break through a gate at Shangzhuang Primary School in Weifang and then attacked several children with a hammer, wounding five of them. A teacher was injured trying to stop Wang. He grabbed two children as hostages and poured gasoline over himself. Teachers pulle the children to safety before Wang set himself on fire, committing suicide.|
|May 12, 2010||Hanzhong, China||Wu Huanming, 48||10 dead, 11 injured||10||11||An assailant used a cleaver to kill seven children and two adults and wounded 11 other children at the Shengshui Temple Kindergarten in Hanzhong. Identified as 48-year-old Wu Huanming, the assailant fled from the school and committed suicide at his house.|
|August 3, 2010||Zibo, China||Fang Jiantang, 26||3 dead, 7 injured||3||7||A knife-wielding man attacked children and staff at a kindergarten in Zibo. He killed three children and wounded three other children and four teachers in the attack. Two of the teachers were reported in critical condition. Assailant 26-year-old Fang Jiantang was arrested by police.|
|October 8, 2010||Carlsbad, California, United States||Brendan Liam O’Rourke, 41||2 injured||2||A middle aged man holding a jack-o-lantern shot at the campus at Kelly Elementary School, his bullets grazing the shoulders of two students, who were ages six and seven, respectively. 41-year-old Brendan Liam O’Rourke was apprehended by police. He was tried and sentenced to life imprisonment.|
|October 22, 2010||Zamboanga City, Philippines||Felin Mateo, 51||4 dead, 6 injured||4||6||A 12-year-old girl, a teacher, and a 64-year-old man were stabbed to death by ex-convict Felin Mateo at Talisayan Elementary School in Talisayan village. He also wounded four other children and two teachers, some of them seriously, before he could be subdued by villagers; they killed him with his knife.|
|February 2, 2011||Placerville, California, United States||John Luebbers, 44||1 dead||1||Principal Sam Lacara, 50, was fatally shot in his office at Louisiana Schnell Elementary School in Placerville and later died at a hospital. John Luebbers, a 44-year-old school custodian, was arrested after the shooting. Luebbers was sentenced to 50 years in prison.|
|April 7, 2011||Realengo, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil||Wellington Menezes de Oliveira, 23||13 dead, 12 injured||13||12||Rio de Janeiro school shooting. A gunman armed with two handguns began shooting at children and school personnel at Escola Municipal Tasso da Silveira, an elementary school. 13 people were killed, including the shooter, a former student. Police shot the suspect in the leg, causing him to fall down a staircase, then the gunman fatally shot himself in the head. The shooter is reported to have left a suicide note.|
|August 29, 2011||Shanghai, China||..., 30||8 injured||8||A 30-year-old woman slashed eight children with a box cutter at a child-care centre in Shanghai, wounding one seriously. The attacker, a day care worker at the kindergarten, was arrested; he was reported to have suffered from psychiatric problems.|
|September 14, 2011||Gongyi, China||Wang Hongbin, 30||4 dead, 2 injured||4||2||A young girl and three adults taking their children to nursery school were killed in Gongyi, Henan with an axe by 30-year-old Wang Hongbin, a local farmer thought to have schizophrenia. Another child and an adult were seriously wounded but survived.|
|September 22, 2011||São Caetano do Sul, Brazil||David Mota Nogueira, 10||1 dead, 1 injured||1||1||David Mota Nogueira, a fourth-grade student at Escola Municipal Alcina Dantas Feijão in São Caetano do Sul, shot and wounded his teacher, 38-year-old Rosileide Queiros de Oliveira, with his father's revolver. He ran out of the classroom and committed suicide by shooting himself in the head.|
|November 15, 2011||Ga-Mmasehlong, South Africa||Happy Shapo, 40||1 dead||1||Gilford Shapo, teacher at Mmasehlong Primary School in Ga-Mmasehlong village, was hacked to death with a machete in front of his class by his brother Happy. The attacker was arrested by police.|
|December 14, 2012||Chenpeng, China||Min Yongjun, 36||24 injured||24||Chenpeng Village Primary School stabbing. An assailant, identified as 36-year-old Min Yongjun, stabbed 24 people, including 23 children and an elderly woman at Chenpeng Village Primary School.|
|December 14, 2012||Newtown, Connecticut, United States||Adam Lanza, 20||28 dead, 2 injured||28||2||Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting. 20-year-old Adam Lanza shot and killed his mother at home, then drove to Sandy Hook Elementary School where he shot and killed 20 students and six adult staff members before killing himself. This event is the second-deadliest school shooting in United States history, after the Virginia Tech massacre.|
|January 7, 2013||Fort Myers, Florida, United States||1 dead||1||Shots were fired at Apostolic Revival Center Christian School, leaving 27-year-old Kristopher Smith dead in what was believed to be a retaliation killing, possibly for talking with police about a previous incident.|
|January 29, 2013||Midland City, Alabama, United States||Jimmy Lee Dykes||2 dead||2||2013 Alabama bunker hostage crisis. A man in his 60's boarded a school bus and shot the bus driver, Charles Albert Poland Jr., 66. Poland was killed. The gunman abducted a 6-year-old child and held him hostage in an underground bunker. The gunman, Jimmy Lee Dykes, was shot to death by police several days later.|
|August 20, 2013||Decatur, Georgia, United States||Michael Brandon Hill, 20 (suspect)||0 injured||0||A gunman with an AK-47 fired six shots inside the front office of Ronald E. McNair Discovery Learning Academy, an elementary school. Next the gunman barricaded himself in the office, and police at the scene returned fire. Nobody was injured. The gunman surrendered and was apprehended. Children were evacuated from the building so parents could pick them up. The alleged gunman is a 20-year-old male named Michael Brandon Hill.|
|September 9, 2013||Guilin, Guangxi province, China||Unknown||2 dead, 44 injured||2 dead||44 injured||Two adults were killed outside Balijie Primary School, and 44 others were injured after a homemade explosive detonated. Most of the injured were schoolchildren. One of those killed is the bomber, who was riding his motorcycle during the explosion.|
|October 4, 2013||Spencer, Massachusetts, United States||7-year-old student||1 injured||1||A 7-year-old student was stabbed by another 7-year-old student at Wire Village School. The victim was hospitalized for serious but non-life-threatening injuries.|
|October 17, 2013||Jacksonville, Arkansas, United States||Nicholas John Miller, 22 (suspect)||No injuries||A man with a knife hijacked a school bus in Jacksonville, taking 11 Pinewood Elementary School students and their bus driver on a detour; police ended it in Cabot after a 10-mile chase and 20 minutes after it began. The suspect, 22-year-old Nicholas John Miller, was charged with a felony count of vehicle piracy, 12 felony counts of kidnapping, and two felony counts of aggravated assault.|
|May 21, 2014||Macheng, Hubei, China||..., 35||8 injured||8||A man armed with a meat-cleaver slashed eight children on a playground. Eight students were injured; one was seriously injured and seven others sustained minor injuries. A 35-year-old man was arrested.|
|May 30, 2014||Oakland, California, United States||Hasseemah Diemi, 39 (charged)||1 injured||1||A 9-year-old girl was attacked with a hammer at Lafayette Elementary School. The girl was hospitalized. A 39-year-old woman, who was a class volunteer at the school, was arrested at the scene and charged with assault with a deadly weapon.|
|September 1, 2014||Shiyan, Hubei province, China||Yanfu Chen, 43||4 dead, 5 injured||4||5||Chen stabbed three children and a teacher to death at a primary school, and wounded 5 others. Chen then committed suicide by jumping off the building.|
|September 26, 2014||Guilin, Guangxi province, China||Suspect, 56||4 dead||4||Four children were stabbed to death as they were walking to their school. A 56-year-old suspect is wanted.|
|March 30, 2015||University City, Missouri, United States||1 injured||1||Police said one person was arrested for a shooting at Pershing Elementary School in University City. The shooting occurred in the parking lot, and a 34-year-old-man was shot in the buttocks.|
|November 25, 2016||Hanzhong, China||Lei Mingyue, 58||9 injured||9||Around 11:40 a.m. 58-year-old Lei Mingyue entered an after-school care center in Hantai District and attacked students lining up for lunch with an axe. After wounding seven female students from Beiguan Primary School he fled the premises, injuring two passersby during his escape. He was later arrested by police and stated he carried out the attack as revenge on society after he was arrested twice for theft.|
|December 13, 2016||Savu, Indonesia||Unknown, 32||7 injured||7||A 32-year-old man stabbed seven children, aged between eight and eleven years, with a knife at a primary school on Savu, an island in East Nusa Tenggara province. The man afterwards tried to flee, but was arrested by police and eventually lynched by a mob of several hundred people in his jail cell.|
- School bullying
- School shooting
- School violence
- List of school-related attacks
- List of attacks related to secondary schools
- List of attacks related to post-secondary schools
- List of rampage killers: School massacres
- School-Related Deaths, School Shootings, & School Violence Incidents: 2000–2001, National School Safety and Security Services
- School-Related Deaths, School Shootings, & School Violence Incidents: 2002–2003, National School Safety and Security Services
- School-Related Deaths, School Shootings, & School Violence Incidents: 2004–2005, National School Safety and Security Services
- School-Related Deaths, School Shootings, & School Violence Incidents: 2006–2007, National School Safety and Security Services
- School-Related Deaths, School Shootings, & School Violence Incidents: 2007–2008, National School Safety and Security Services
- School-Related Deaths, School Shootings, & School Violence Incidents: 2008–2009, National School Safety and Security Services
- School-Related Deaths, School Shootings, & School Violence Incidents: 2009–2010, National School Safety and Security Services
- The Daily Dispatch, Richmond, VA, August 16, 1856
- Cleveland Tri-weekly Leader, February 06, 1864
- Daily Alta California, Volume 19, Number 7084, 17 February 1867
- "A Boy Shot By His Schoolfellow-A Curious Affair". The New York Times. June 9, 1867.
- The New York Times, December 26, 1868
- The Daily Phoenix. Columbia, N.C., February 11, 1873
- Daily Los Angeles Herald, (Los Angeles, Calif.), December 02, 1881
- Daily Evening Bulletin(Maysville, KY.), December 22, 1881
- The Austin Weekly Statesman(Austin, TX), February 28, 1884
- The New York Times, June 13, 1887
- "Shot by Schoolboy". Daily Alta California, Volume 82, Number 115. 25 April 1890.
- Daily Alta California, Volume 84, Number 90, 31 March 1891
- A flagrant outrage, The Southern Herald (March 27, 1891)
- New York Times, April 10, 1891, pg. 2.
- "Virginia [sic] Hoodlums". Los Angeles Herald (Volume 26, Number 4). December 13, 1898. Retrieved July 16, 2016 – via The California Digital Newspaper Collection of the Center for Bibliographical Studies and Research (CBSR) at the University of California, Riverside.
- Stabbed in a schoolroom, The New York Times (December 23, 1898)
- Schoolmaster kills pupils, The New York Times (October 9, 1902)
- San Francisco Call, Volume 96, Number 120, 28 September 1904
- <"School Rehearsal Leads To A Tragedy". News.google.ca. March 23, 1907. Retrieved March 12, 2011.
- Los Angeles Herald, Volume 36, Number 346, 12 September 1909
- Los Angeles Herald, Volume 37, Number 104, 13 January 1910
- Kills 3, wounds 17 in a classroom, The New York Times (June 21, 1913)
- The Oklahoma City Times, September 22, 1916
- The Adair County News (Columbia, Ky.), January 10, 1917
- The Daily Gate City And Constitution-Democrat, (Keokuk, Iowa) October 29, 1917
- Mansfield Mirror (Mansfield, Wright County, Mo.), December 06, 1917
- The Morning Tulsa Daily World (Tulsa, Okla.), October 23, 1920
- The Daily Ardmoreite (Ardmore, Okla.), February 17, 1922
- Waikino trafgedy – Children shot down in school, The Evening Post, (October 20, 1923)
- Higgins to serve for life, The Evening Post (March 4, 1924)
- Massenmord in einer Schulklasse, Altonaer Nachrichten (April 9, 1936)
- "Kills Youth By Stabbing After Mass". News.google.ca. October 25, 1940. Retrieved March 12, 2011.
- "Playmates Fatally Stab New York Pupil". News.google.ca. May 10, 1944. Retrieved March 12, 2011.
- 92 children saved from two madmen, St. Petersburg Times (October 11, 1956)
- la scuola di Terrazzano: 6 ore di terrore, Corriere della Sera (March 15, 1993)
- "Two teachers shot to death before pupils". Ellensburg Daily Record. February 2, 1960. Retrieved April 25, 2009.
- "School principal kills 2 teachers". The New York Times. February 3, 1960. Retrieved April 25, 2009.
- "School Principal Shot to Death". News.google.com. Retrieved March 12, 2011.
- "Grove High School locked down after incident". Tulsaworld.com. January 9, 2010. Retrieved March 12, 2011.
- "40 years later: Elementary principal T. J. Melton remembered". Grand Lake News. November 8, 2011.
- Runs amok, kills 5 in school, Chicago Tribune (October 11, 1977)
- "Janitor Slain After Reportedly Spanking Child". The Evening Independent. April 27, 1978.
- "Teacher Fatally Shot In School". Lakeland Ledger. March 21, 1980.
- "Care versus caution". Thestandard.com.hk. Retrieved March 12, 2011.
- Children hacked to death, The Straits Times (August 16, 1983)
- Mad sniper opens fire on children, Boca Raton News (February 26, 1984)
- Jonestown tormented sniper, Gainesville Sun (February 26, 1984)
- "Mystery sniper sprays LA schoolyard", The Courier (February 26, 1984)
- "Kevin Dean Young from the Office of the Clark County Prosecuting Attorney". Clarkprosecutor.org. Retrieved March 12, 2011.
- "Chicago Man Kills 4 and Wounds 2 Before Dying in a Shootout". Nytimes.com. September 23, 1988. Retrieved March 12, 2011.
- Man Held in School Shooting Is Depicted as Jobless Recluse, The New York Times (September 28, 1988)
- Second Victim Dies After School Shooting Incident, The New York Times (September 30, 1988)
- Investigation continues into fatal school shooting in S.C., The Prescott Courier (September 27, 1988)
- World Briefly, Fort Worth Star-Telegram (January 11, 1994)
- Von Mann erschlagen, Blick (January 12, 1994)
- "Facts about school violence in the U.S.". policeacademyu.com. Retrieved December 12, 2014.
- "Marksmen kill kindergarten murderer". Thestandard.com.hk. Retrieved March 12, 2011.
- "Ex-soldier runs amok in school". Thestandard.com.hk. Retrieved March 12, 2011.
- Teacher runs amok, stabs eight children in Hungary, BBC (September 3, 1998)
- Children not critically wounded in Hungary teacher attack, BBC (September 3, 1998)
- Town in shock after slaying of kindergartners and teacher, Associated Press (February 23, 1999)
- "Once they were children", The Baltic Times (March 25, 1999)
- Killer sentenced in Gulbene deaths, The Baltic Times (December 9, 1999)
- Mehta, Seema (May 6, 1999). "Playground Crash a Murder Case; Courts: Driver Steven Abrams could get death penalty for what he called 'execution' of two children. Judge orders him held without bail". Pqasb.pqarchiver.com. Retrieved March 12, 2011.
- Pfeifer, Stuart (August 12, 2000). "Internal Voices Blamed in Attack at Day-Care Center". Articles.latimes.com. Retrieved March 12, 2011.
- Vernie M. Nichols (February 3, 2001). "Violence in Schools News Article". .cj.msu.edu. Retrieved March 12, 2011.
- 'Something Was Wrong With Him', CBS News (May 8, 2001)
- Children attacked in school, The Daily Telegraph (September 4, 2002)
- 10 children stabbed after 'voice of Kim Il-sung tells man to kill', The Daily Telegraph (September 5, 2002)
- Knife-wielding man kills 4 at Chinese school, ABC News (November 28, 2002)
- 广东肇庆疯子持刀闯进校园砍死5学生被判死缓, news.qq.com (May 17, 2004)
- "Spurned lover stabs eight at Chinese kindergarten". The New Zealand Herald. March 10, 2003. Retrieved October 14, 2011.
- 女教师洒血斗歹徒, ynet.com (March 9, 2003)
- Man wounds 28 in China kindergarten attack swissinfo.ch (September 12, 2004)
- Man hurting 25 pupils arrested, Xinhua (September 20, 2004)
- China executes man who slashed children, China Daily (November 25, 2004
- Chinese children killed in spate of knife attacks, The Age (October 8, 2004)
- Teacher killing 4 students declared schizophrenic, China Daily (November 11, 2004)
- Man assaulting 12 pupils diagnosed to suffer from schizophrenia, English.eastday.com ()
- Teacher killed in knife attack, The Guardian (February 15, 2005)
- 18 people wounded in school shooting in Anhui, Xinhua (October 13, 2005)
- Teacher held over Japan stabbing, BBC (December 10, 2005)
- 河南巩义幼儿园放火案被告终审被判死刑, chinanews.com.cn (December 7, 2007)
- Suspect Held for Fatal Kindergarten Arson Attack, china.org.cn (May 10, 2006)
- Man kidnaps 19 pupils, subdued by police, China Daily (May 26, 2009)
- 校园新闻 河南男子劫持19名学生杀死2人案始末[现场组图], Xinhua (May 26, 2006)
- Class reopens after boy killed, english.eastday.com (June 16, 2007)
- Newark schoolyard killings – NJ.com: Star-Ledger Archives. Blog.nj.com. Retrieved on 2010-08-16.
- Man throws girls, boy from 3rd floor, rednet.cn (September 19, 2007)
- School Tragedy Kills 1 Girl, Injures 5 Others, rednet.cn (September 19, 2007)
- Police detain 2 men in Hungary school killings, AFP (January 8, 2009)
- "Two killed in Norway shooting". Rte.ie. January 23, 2009. Retrieved March 12, 2011.
- Woman hacks two preschoolers to death in China, macaunews.com (March 5, 2009)
- (AFP) – Mar 23, 2010 (March 23, 2010). "Chinese doctor hacks eight schoolchildren to death". Google.com. Retrieved March 12, 2011.
- Man stabs, kills 8 children at Chinese school Archived March 26, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- Man with cleaver rampages near China school, 2 die Archived April 17, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Knifeman strikes at school". Thestandard.com.hk. Retrieved March 12, 2011.
- 17 injured in knife attack at south China primary school Archived June 10, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- Man stabs 28 children at kindergarten in China Archived May 2, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Kids again targeted for mass attacks", Shanghai Daily (May 1, 2010)
- Third Chinese kindergarten attack in a week, The Independent (May 1, 2010)
- 9 killed in latest attack at China school Archived May 16, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Three dead in latest Chinese school attack". Af.reuters.com. August 4, 2010. Retrieved March 12, 2011.
- 3 children killed in kindergarten attack, RTHK, Aug 4, 2010
- "Kelly Elementary School shooting". MSNBC. October 8, 2010. Retrieved March 12, 2011.
- Davis, Kristina. "Man accused in Carlsbad school shooting had troubled past". Signonsandiego.com. Retrieved March 12, 2011.
- Amok kills 3, wounds 6, Sun.Star (October 22, 2010)
- the CNN Wire Staff (February 3, 2011). "Elementary school principal is fatally shot in Northern California". Cnn.com. Retrieved March 12, 2011.
- California: School Principal Killed in His Office
- "Principal fatally shot". Post-gazette.com. February 3, 2011. Retrieved March 12, 2011.
- "Twelve Dead After Gunman Opens Fire at Brazil Elementary School". Fox News. April 7, 2011.
- "Hero officer kept Brazilian school massacre from being even worse". CNN. April 8, 2011.
- "Brazil school shooting: Rio de Janeiro gunman kills 12". BBC News. April 8, 2011.
- Eight kids hurt in China stab spree, 'news.com.au (August 29, 2011)
- 4 die in China ax attack
- Axe-Wielding Man Kills Four on Chinese Street
- Axe-wielding man attacks 2 preschoolers, 4 adults
- Boy, 10, shoots teacher in class before killing himself with policeman dad's revolver, Daily Mail (September 23, 2011)
- Teacher hacked to death in front of pupils, Independent Online (November 17, 2011)
- South African man charged for killing teacher in class, BBC News (November 17, 2011)
- Man stabs 22 Children in China
- "Sandy Hook shooting: What happened?". CNN. Retrieved December 16, 2012.
- Andy Rudd (December 14, 2012). "Connecticut school shooting: Madman kills at least 26, including 20 children, in horrific gun rampage". Daily Mirror. Retrieved December 14, 2012.
- Who would kill children? | Fox News Archived December 15, 2012, at WebCite
- "FMPD identifies victim in shooting near Christian school". WinkNews.com. January 8, 2013. Retrieved January 5, 2014.
- Mungin, Lateef (January 30, 2013). "Alabama bunker suspect faced court date, neighbors say". cnn.com. Retrieved January 30, 2013.
- Barrow, Bill; Brumback, Kate (August 20, 2013). "20-year-old charged in Ga. school shooting". Associated Press. Retrieved August 20, 2013.
- "All students OK after shot fired at Georgia school". CNN. August 20, 2013. Retrieved August 20, 2013.
- "Official: Suspect In Custody In Elementary School Shooting". CBS Atlanta. August 20, 2013. Retrieved August 20, 2013.
- King, Michael (August 20, 2013). "Shooting suspect in custody at Georgia school". USA Today. Retrieved August 20, 2013.
- "China school blast kills two, injures 44: state media". Yahoo! News. September 9, 2013. Retrieved September 13, 2013.
- Wong, Edward (September 9, 2013). "Bomb Kills 2 Outside School in China". New York Times. Retrieved September 13, 2013.
- "Bomb on three-wheeled cycle kills 2, injures 44 outside Chinese school". UPI.com. September 9, 2013. Retrieved September 13, 2013.
- "Officials saying little in Spencer school stabbing". Boston Star. October 29, 2013. Retrieved January 27, 2014.
- Valencia, Nick; Hanna, Jason; Stapleton, AnneClaire (October 17, 2013). "Police: Knife-wielding man arrested, children OK after Arkansas bus hijacking". CNN. Retrieved October 17, 2013.
- "Arrest Made After Arkansas School Bus Hijacked By Knife-Wielding Man". Huffington Post. October 17, 2013. Retrieved October 17, 2013.
- Wagner, Meg. Meat cleaver-wielding attacker slashes 8 children on Chinese playground , New York Daily News, May 21, 2014.
- Man stabs 8 students in C China, Sina News, May 21, 2014.
- Lee, Henry K.; Allday, Erin. Hammer attack on child at Oakland school, San Francisco Chronicle, May 30, 2014.
- Four killed in Chinese school stabbing spree, Yahoo News, September 1, 2014.
- Four children killed in China school stabbing, BBC News, September 26, 2014.
- "Man shot at elementary school in University City; one suspect arrested". KMOV.com. March 30, 2015. Retrieved April 1, 2015.
- Seven children attacked with axe while waiting in lunch queue at primary school in China, The Independent (November 25, 2016)
- Seven Chinese children injured by axe-wielding man who wanted ‘revenge on society’, South China Morning Post (November 25, 2016)
- 9 injured in axe attack in NW China, Shanghai Daily (November 25, 2016)
- Indonesian mob kills man for stabbing children in school knife attack, police say, Malay Mail (December 13, 2016)
- Mob breaks into police station to kill man accused of stabbing kids, CBS News (December 13, 2016)
- Including death or injury of attacker(s), when applicable.