List of attractions in Hamilton, Ontario
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (January 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Hamilton, Ontario has a large variety of historical sites and cultural and educational institutions.
See also: List of roads in Hamilton, Ontario
Historical sites and museums
- 31 Service Battalion Museum, accredited military museum, Heritage Museum; dedicated to documenting Combat Service Support in the City of Hamilton; largest collection of the Canadian Women's Army Corps artifacts; located next to HMCS Haida
- Auchmar, historic estate of the Honourable Isaac Buchanan
- Battlefield House Museum, Stoney Creek
- Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum, home of one of the last two remaining operational Lancaster bombers; also in operation Spitfire, Hawker Hurricane, Bristol Bolingbroke
- Dundurn Castle, including the Hamilton Military Museum and Dundurn Park, west end; home of Sir Allan Napier MacNab, former Prime Minister of Upper Canada
- Erland Lee Museum, birthplace of Women's Institutes, Upper Stoney Creek
- Fieldcote Memorial Park & Museum
- Giant's Rib Discovery Centre, for learning about the Niagara Escarpment a UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve
- Green Venture, EcoHouse, east end
- Hamilton Children's Museum, east end; closed, slated to re-open on December 5, 2015
- Hamilton Downtown Arts Centre
- Hamilton Farmer's Market, founded in 1837
- Hamilton Museum of Steam and Technology, east end
- HMCS Haida, National Historic Site, historic naval ship; Canada's most famous warship and the last remaining Tribal Class in the world
- Nash-Jackson House, at Stoney Creek Battlefield Park
- Ottawa Street North, textile district, voted one of Canada's favourite streets in the 2011 'Great Places in Canada' contest; ranked in Top 5 spots for antique shopping in Canada by CAA Magazine
- Royal Hamilton Light Infantry Heritage Museum, downtown
- Whitehern Historic House & Garden, downtown
- Workers Arts & Heritage Centre, in the former Custom House, a National Historic Site, north end
- 270 Sherman
- Arctic Experience McNaught Gallery 
- Art Gallery of Hamilton, downtown; second largest permanent collection in Ontario, and third largest in Canada
- James Street North Art District
- McMaster Museum of Art, west end
- Sunrise Gallery 
- Transit Gallery 
- Bach Elgar Choir
- Boris Brott Summer Festival, Hamilton, Dundas, Ancaster, Burlington
- ChamberWORKS!, music ensemble
- Hamilton Philharmonic Youth Orchestra
- Hess Village, a popular summer patio hangout; many bars, clubs and restaurants feature live music and attractions all year round; Hess Street, downtown
- National Academy Orchestra of Canada, Hamilton, Dundas, Ancaster, Burlington
- Opera Ontario
- Hamilton All Star Jazz Band
- Symphony Hamilton, Hamilton, Burlington
- Hamilton Theatre Inc., musical theatre
- Players' Guild of Hamilton, Inc., plays, Queen Street South
- Ron V. Joyce Centre for the Performing Arts at Hamilton Place, downtown
- Theatre Aquarius, Dofasco Centre for the Performing Arts, downtown
- Westside Concert Theatre, former CHCH TV 11 studios
Other popular attractions
See also: Culture of Hamilton, Ontario
- Festival of Friends, founded in 1975, the largest annual free music event in Canada
- Food & Drink Fest, Hamilton's Festival with Taste!, founded in 2005. This is Hamilton's largest culinary event, with over 150 exhibitors displaying a variety of local and international wines, specialty beers, and culinary samples created by Hamilton, Halton and Niagara restaurants, breweries, and wineries. Food & Drink Fest has moved three times over its ten-year history. Its first four years took place at the Hamilton Convention Centre, the next two years at Hamilton's Copps Coliseum, then took place at the Careport Centre located in the McMaster Innovation Park complex, and moved back to the Hamilton Convention Centre for its tenth anniversary.
- Hamilton Fringe Festival, founded in October 2002, is an 11-day unjuried theatre festival that happens every summer in downtown Hamilton.
- It's Your Festival
- Mustard Festival, in the heart of International Village, Ferguson Avenue
- Supercrawl, an annual art and music festival on James Street North
- Winona Peach Festival
- Around the Bay Road Race, the longest continuously held long distance foot race in North America (since 1894)
- Canadian Football Hall of Fame, downtown
- CANUSA Games, Hamilton is twinned with Flint, Michigan, and its amateur athletes have competed in these games since 1958
- Jukasa Motor Speedway, a 5/8-mile oval auto racing track, Cayuga, Ontario
- Flamboro Downs and Flamboro Slots, horse racing as well as car racing
- Kinsman Parade of Lights
- Spectator Indoor Games
Parks, trails and waterfront
- African Lion Safari, Flamborough
- Ancaster Fairgrounds
- Bayfront Park, Pier 4 Park, Harbour West, Cootes Paradise, waterfront trail
- Beach strip and lighthouse pier, beach trail
- Bruce Trail, Stoney Creek, Hamilton, Dundas, Flamborough
- Christie Conservation Area
- Confederation Park, featuring the largest outdoor wave pool, Wild Waterworks, as well as waterslides, lazy river, batting cages, mini putt, and picnic area
- Dragon Boat Festival Championships
- Dundas Valley Conservation Area, Dundas
- Emerald Lake, quarry, beach, popular with bikers
- Flamboro Valley Camping Resort, Flamborough
- Gage Park, large historical park in the middle of the city
- Gore Park, war memorial and historic tree
- Hamilton Farmers' Market
- Hamilton Harbour Cruises, Hamilton Harbour Queen
- Hamilton Industrial Heritage Trail, 19th century
- Hamilton Industrial Heritage Trail, 20th century
- Hamilton Port Days
- Hamilton to Brantford Rail Trail, Hamilton, Dundas, Ancaster
- Hamilton Waterfront, Hamilton Harbour
- Jungle Jam Indoor Playground, Ancaster
- Pier 4 Park
- Ponderosa Naturist (nudist) Park
- Redhill Valley Trail
- Royal Botanical Gardens, west end
- Tall Ship Regatta
- Trans Canada Trail
- Valen's Conservation Area
- Westdale Aviary
- Westfield Heritage Centre, Flamborough
- Haunted Hamilton, ghost walks and events tour different historical locations around Hamilton, Ancaster and Niagara-on-the-Lake
- "WELCOME TO GREEN VENTURE". Retrieved 13 September 2015.
- "Hamilton Children's Museum". City of Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. 18 August 2015. Retrieved 13 September 2015.
- Hamilton Downtown Arts Centre Archived August 13, 2006, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Hamilton Museum of Steam & Technology National Historic Site". City of Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. 1 September 2015. Retrieved 13 September 2015.
- "The Nash-Jackson House". The War of 1812 Website.
- "Workers Arts and Heritage Centre". Workers Arts and Heritage Centre. Workers Arts and Heritage Centre. Retrieved 13 September 2015.
- "The Cotton Factory - Hamilton's largest creative arts facility, in the heart of lower Hamilton.". The Cotton Factory. Retrieved 13 September 2015.
- "Arctic Experience McNaught Gallery". Retrieved 13 September 2015.
- "McMaster Museum of Art". McMaster University. Retrieved 13 September 2015.
- "Sunrise Gallery is now closed". Retrieved 13 September 2015.
- Transit Gallery Archived August 4, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Brott Music Festival - Keep The Music Alive!". Brott Music Festival. Retrieved 13 September 2015.
- ChamberWORKS! Archived January 12, 2016, at the Wayback Machine.
- "National Academy Orchestra of Canada - Canada's Only Professional Training Orchestra". National Academy Orchestra of Canada. Retrieved 13 September 2015.
- Opera Ontario Archived December 5, 2006, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Hamilton All Star Jazz Bands - Music and Youth Building a Better Community". Hamilton All Star Jazz Bands Inc. Retrieved 13 September 2015.
- "Symphony Hamilton". Symphony Hamilton. 3 August 2015. Retrieved 13 September 2015.
- "Food & Drink Fest ...the Festival with Taste!". Retrieved 13 September 2015.
- "Hamilton Fringe Festival - An 11-day unjuried theatre festival that happens every summer in downtown Hamilton". Retrieved 13 September 2015.
- Mustard Festival Archived August 31, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- "WELCOME to the OFFICIAL Haunted Hamilton Website :: Ghost Tours, Haunted Walks, Paranormal Events, Haunted Bus Trips, Ghost Walks, Halloween CostumeBall and more! :: Ghosts, Hauntings and Historic Buildings Around theWorld :: Ontario, Canada ::". The Official & Original Haunted Hamilton™. Retrieved 13 September 2015.