List of aviation shootdowns and accidents during the Saudi Arabian-led intervention in Yemen
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Beginning in 2015, Saudi Arabia led a coalition of forces to intervene in the civil war in Yemen. A number of aircraft, both helicopters and jets, as well as drones have been lost due to accident or enemy action in the course of the campaign.
- 15 April 2015 – At least one Yemen air force fighter jet was destroyed by an airstrike in Yemen's capital Sanaa.
- 26 March 2015 – during the opening strikes, a Saudi F-15S crashed into the Gulf of Aden after circling around over the sea; its two pilots ejected safely and were recovered from the sea by a USAF HH-60G rescue helicopter. Arab coalition reports stated enemy fire did not cause the crash, while Houthi and Iranian sources stated they shot it down.
- 10 May 2015 – at 18:00 local time, one Royal Moroccan Air Force F-16C Block 52, serial number 08-8008, crashed in Saadah, while performing a mission as part of the Saudi-led intervention in Yemen. The pilot of a second F-16 said that he did not see any ejection. Originally missing for several hours, on 11 May, the Shia rebels showed the crash site, located near Nushoor, Sa'ada. They claimed they shot the jet down with anti-aircraft artillery fire, while the pilot was killed in the crash. According to Tom Cooper, the F-16 was shot down by Anti-Aircraft guns or MANPADS.
- May 2015 – A Saudi AH-64 Helicopter was shot down by Houthis.
- (2) August 2015 – Two Saudi AH-64s crashed in Jizan.
- September 2015 – One Saudi Apache helicopter was shot down.
- 30 December 2015 – a Bahraini F-16C crashed in Jizan Region, Saudi Arabia. A military source reported that the pilot ejected and survived the crash. The F-16 was already in flames before hitting the ground as recorded on video. The loss was initially attributed to a technical malfunction, but according to Tom Cooper, the F-16 was instead shot down by Anti-Aircraft guns or MANPADS.
- 14 March 2016 – a UAEAF Dassault Mirage 2000-9D crashed in the southern Yemeni city of Aden during a combat operation in the early morning hours, killing its two pilots. Pilots who died in the crash are Major Zayed Ali Al Kaabi and 1st lieutenant Mohammed Obaid Al Hamoudi. The coalition claimed the Mirage crashed due to a technical fault. Other sources reported that the Mirage 2000-9D was shot down while flying low by Yemeni Al-Qaeda militants using a Strela-2 MANPADS.
- (2) June 2016 – 2 UAEAF helicopters crashed. 2 pilots are reported to be killed in the crash. One of the helicopters crashed is NSA 407MRH. The other helicopter is believed to be an AH-64. Pilots who died in the crash are Ahmed Al Zeyoudi and Abdullah Al Yamahi.
- July 2016 – One Saudi AH-64 crashed in Marib
- 29 January 2017 - during US Raid on Yakla on Al-Qaeda militants a V-22 crash landed and was subsequently destroyed by US fire to avoid falling in enemy hands.
- 24 February 2017 – a Jordanian F-16 crashed in Najran, Saudi Arabia, a military source reported that the pilot survived the crash. Houthis claimed to have shot down the aircraft.
- February 2017 – A US UAV MQ-9 shot down by Houthi anti aircraft missile over Marib province.
- March 2017 – A Saudi AH-64 Apache shoot down by Houthi rebels leaving 2 dead
- April 2017 – Saudi UH-60 downed in Marib (12 dead)
- August 2017 – A UAEAF helicopter crashed in Shabwa, killing 4 soldiers. 3 other soldiers were injured, including Sheikh Zayed bin Hamdan member of the Abu Dhabi royal family.
- 25 August 2017 – The Sikorsky UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter that crashed off the coast of Yemen belonged to an elite Special Operations air regiment.
- 11 September 2017 – A UAE IOMAX AT-802U crashed in Yemen; the pilot (2nd Lieutenant Pilot Sultan Mohammad Ali Al Naqbi) died in the crash.
- 13 September 2017 – a Saudi Eurofighter Typhoon involved in close air support mission against Houthi fighters over Yemen crashed into a mountain in Al Wade’a district, reportedly due to a technical malfunction. The pilot, identified as Mahna al-Biz, died in the crash.
- 2 October 2017 – U.S. Central Command stated that a MQ-9 had been shot down by Houthi air defense systems over Sanaa in western Yemen the previous day. The aircraft took off from Chabelley Airport in Djibouti, and was armed.
- 17 October 2017 – One UAE jet crashed due to technical failure in Yemen resulting in the death of 2 Emirati pilots. The type of aircraft is unknown, the dead in the crash are Major Pilot Ali Al Mesmari and 1st Lieutenant Pilot Badr Al Marasheda.
- 7 January 2018 – Houthi rebels claimed to have shot down a Saudi warplane which was conducting air raids over northern Yemen. According to Saudi reports, the downed aircraft was a Panavia Tornado of the Saudi Royal Air Force which was on a combat mission in the skies over Saada province in northern Yemen. Saudi reports also claimed that it was lost for 'technical reasons' and that both crew were rescued.
- 8 January 2018 a RSAF aircraft was hit by a Houthi surface-to-air missile. A Houthi released video showed a video of an appearing F-15 increasing speed and releasing decoy flares before being struck by a projectile and apparently suffering major damage. The Houthi media, showed the wreck site in Kifrat showing a countermeasures system that was made by Selex EST indicating that the aircraft was possibly a Tornado. Saudi Arabia confirmed a Panavia Tornado aircraft was lost on 8 January but by "technical reasons".
- 21 March 2018 – Damaged – Houthi rebels claimed to have hit or even shot down a Saudi F-15 in Saada province. A video emerged showing a R-27 air to air missile adapted for surface to air use being launched hitting a target in the sky in an explosion. As in the video of a previous similar hit recorded in January, the target, while clearly hit, does not seem to be falling from the sky when the video stops. Saudi forces confirmed the hit, while saying the jet safely landed at a Saudi base. Saudi official sources confirmed the incident reporting that it happened at 3:48 pm local time after a surface-to-air defense missile was launched at the fighter jet from inside Saada airport.
- 11 April 2018 – Saudi air defense system detected at 07:40 am an unidentified body flying towards Abha International Airport and destroyed it. According to Saudi air defense, fragments of object showed it to be a Houthi drone with Iranian specifications that was trying to target the airport.
- 18 April 2018 – A Houthi explosive laden Qasef-1 drone is shot down over Yemen by UAE army anti aircraft defense unit.
- 24 July 2018 – (2) Houthi Qasef-1 drones carrying explosives are shot down by UAE armed forces. One was headed to Al Mokha and the other was to Al Khokha in the Hodeidah province.
- 14 September 2018 – A KSA Ground Army helicopter crashed following technical issues. Both pilots died.
- 23 December – Houthi rebels shoot down a Saudi Arabian CH-4 drone in the country Northwest of Yemen.
- 8 March 2019 – Saudi Arabia’s air defense systems shot down a Houthi drone over the kingdom.
- March 2019 – (4) Houthi drones shot down by pro-government forces, one in Nihm district.
- 3 April 2019 – (2) Houthi drones shot down by Royal Saudi Air Defense over Khamis Mushait, 5 civilians were injured.
- 4 April 2019 – A Houthi drone is shot down over Fazah area west of Tuhayta district in the province of Hudaydah by pro-government forces Giants Brigade.
- 8 April 2019 – Saudi led coalition intercept and shoot down a Houthi drone launched towards Asir region in southern Saudi Arabia.
- 11 April 2019 – Saudi led coalition shoot down a Houthi drone over Seiyun in southeast Yemen.
- 19 April 2019 - The Houthis published a video of the downing and later the crash site of a Wing Loong UCAV acting for Saudi-led intervention over Saada district. Probably it was shot down with a R-73 or R-27T missile.
- 26 May 2019 – Saudi air defense intercept a Houthi drone targeting King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz Airport in Jizan.
- 2 June 2019 – Houthis launch a drone targeting Aden, while Saudi air defenses state they shot down a drone west of Aden.
- 6 June 2019 – Houthis shoot down a US MQ-9 Reaper drone over Yemen. According to United States Central Command the drone was shot down by SA-6 surface-to-air missile that was enabled with Iranian assistance.
- 10 June 2019 – (2) Houthi drones targeting Khamis Mushait were intercepted by Saudi air defenses.
- 14 June 2019 – (5) Saudi air defense intercept and shoot down 5 Houthi drones targeting Abha International Airport and Khamis Mushait.
- 17 June 2019 – (2) Houthi drones were intercepted by Saudi air defenses, one drone was targeting Abha.
- 26 June 2019 - A Houthi drone launched toward Saudi Arabia is intercepted and was shot down.
- 30 June 2019 – (2) Houthi drones were intercepted by Saudi forces. The first drone was targeting Jizan and the second was aimed at a residential area in Asir Province.
- 5 July 2019 – Houthi drones targeting Jizan Regional Airport were intercepted by Saudi forces.
- 6 July 2019 – Houthi Qasef drones targeting Saudi Arabia were intercepted and shot down by Saudi forces.
- 8 July 2019 – Saudi-led coalition shoots down a Houthi drone launched towards Saudi Arabia.
- 15 July 2019 – (2) Houthi drones targeting Jizan and Abha airport in Saudi Arabia are intercepted by the coalition.
|NSA 407MRH||1 (1 )|
|Boeing AH-64 Apache||7 (6 , 1 ))|
|CAIG Wing Loong||1 (1 )|
|CH-A||1 (1 )|
|Mirage 2000||1 (1 )|
|IOMAX AT-802i BPA||1|
|HH-60G Pave Hawk||1 (1 )|
|UH-60 Black Hawkk||1 (1 )|
|Eurofighter Typhoon||1 (1 )|
|F-15||1 (1 )|
|F-16||3 (1 ,1 ,1 )|
|Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey||1 (1 )|
|MQ-9 Reaper Drone||3 (3 )|
|Panavia Tornado||2 (2 )|
|Unknown type of helicopter||2 (1 , 1 )|
|Unknown Jet||1 (1 )|
|Unknown/Various drones||25 (25 )|
- "Saudi-led warplanes pound rebels in south Yemen". AsiaOne. 30 April 2015. Retrieved 12 January 2018.
- Barnes, Julian E. (28 March 2015). "U.S. Rescues Saudi Pilots from Crashed Fighter Jet". Wall Street Journal.
- "U.S. Rescues Two Saudi Fighter Pilots After Splashdown Near Yemen". NBC News. 27 March 2015. Retrieved 27 March 2015.
- "Moroccan F-16 jet from Saudi-led coalition in Yemen crashes". Yahoo News. 11 May 2015. Retrieved 16 February 2016.
- "Yemeni rebels say they shot down Moroccan jet". The Guardian. 11 May 2015. Retrieved 9 January 2018.
- "Moroccan F-16 crashes over Yemen". f-16.net. Retrieved 16 February 2016.
- "The Houthis' Do-It-Yourself Air Defenses".
- Mukhashaf, Mohammed Ghobari and Mohammed. "Moroccan F-16 jet from Saudi-led coalition in Yemen crashes". Retrieved 30 October 2017.
- Editorial, Reuters. "Two pilots killed when helicopter comes down on Saudi-Yemen border – coalition". Retrieved 30 October 2017.
- "Houthis claim responsibility for fall of coalition plane". 21 September 2015. Retrieved 30 October 2017.
- "Amateur video shows Bahraini F-16 already in flames before hitting the ground in Saudi Arabia". 3 January 2016.
- "Bahrain F-16 crashes in Saudi near Yemen border after 'technical issue'". Retrieved 30 October 2017.
- "Bahraini F-16 fighter jet crashes in Saudi Arabia". Gulf News. 30 December 2015. Retrieved 21 January 2018.
- "شهيدا الواجب الكعبي والحمودي... جاران في الدنيا ورفيقان إلى الجنة". sharjah24.com. 14 March 2016.
- Mustafa, Awad (8 August 2017). "UAE Mirage Fighter Jet Crashes Over Yemen".
- "Al-Qaeda 'used surface-to-air missile' to bring down Emirati fighter jet in Yemen". 26 March 2016.
- "UAE plane crashed in Yemen due to technical fault, pilots killed: coalition". Reuters. 14 March 2016. Retrieved 30 October 2017.
- Malyasov, Dylan. "UAE helicopter crash in Yemen kills 2 crew members – Defence blog".
- "Bodies of UAE pilots killed in Yemen arrive in Abu Dhabi". The National. 14 June 2016.
- "ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 188117". aviation-safety.net. 13 June 2016.
- Malyasov, Dylan. "UAE helicopter crash in Yemen kills 2 crew members – Defence Blog". defence-blog.com. Retrieved 30 October 2017.
- "Saudi Arabia says Apache crashed in Yemen". Retrieved 30 October 2017.
- "U.S. Commando Killed in Yemen in Trump's First Counterterror Operation". The New York Times. 29 January 2017.
- News, ABC. "ABC News". ABC News.
- "PressTV-'Yemeni forces shoot down Jordanian F-16'".
- "Jordan warplane crashes in Saudi, pilot survives". 24 February 2017. Retrieved 30 October 2017.
- Malyasov, Dylan. "Houthi Militants Claim to Shut Down MQ-9 Reaper UAV Over Marib in Yemen – Defence Blog". Defence-Blog.com. Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- Arab, The New. "Yemen's Houthi rebels 'shoot down Apache helicopter in Hodeida'". Retrieved 30 October 2017.
- Agencies (18 April 2017). "12 Saudi soldiers martyred in Yemen helicopter crash". Retrieved 30 October 2017.
- "Funerals for four UAE soldiers killed in Yemen helicopter crash held". The National. 11 August 2017.
- "Prayers for the swift recovery of Sheikh Zayed bin Hamdan and other soldiers injured in Yemen helicopter crash". The National. 13 August 2017.
- "Black Hawk helicopter that crashed off Yemen belonged to elite Special Operations air unit". Washington Post. 26 August 2017. Retrieved 17 January 2018.
- "UAE announces death of soldier, pilot in Yemen". Retrieved 30 October 2017.
- "UAE says military pilot killed in crash in Yemen war". ABC News. 11 September 2017. Retrieved 17 January 2018.
- "Two UAE soldiers martyred in line of duty in Yemen". Gulf News. 11 September 2017.
- "Saudi Eurofighter Typhoon Crashes During Combat Mission In Yemen, Killing The Pilot". 14 September 2017.
- Mizokami, Kyle (2 October 2017). "U.S. Reaper Drone Shot Down Over Yemen". Popular Mechanics. Retrieved 3 October 2017.
- Jeremy Binnie and Neil Gibson (5 October 2017). "US Reaper shot down over Sanaa". Jane's Defence Weekly. IHS. Retrieved 11 October 2017.
- Snow, Shawn (2 October 2017). "US MQ-9 drone shot down in Yemen".
- Trevithick, Joseph. "Houthi Rebels Shoot Down U.S. Air Force MQ-9 Reaper Over Yemen". Retrieved 30 October 2017.
- Wam. "Video: Two UAE fighter pilots martyred in Yemen laid to rest". khaleejtimes.com. Retrieved 30 October 2017.
- "Breaking: Houthi rebels shoot down Saudi Tornado warplane in north Yemen – Muraselon". 7 January 2018. Retrieved 7 January 2018.
- "Saudi warplane crashes in Yemen; pilots escape". Al Jazeera. 7 January 2018.
- "Coalition blames 'technical glitch' as Houthi rebels claim downing of Saudi jet in Yemen". 8 January 2018.
- Trevithick, Tyler Rogoway and Joseph. "Houthi Rebels Release FLIR Video Showing Shoot Down of Saudi F-15S Over Yemen (Updated)". The Drive. Retrieved 2018-01-09.
- "Yemen's Houthis Claim Saudi F-15 Kill with SAM Over Capital City of Sanaa". The Aviationist. 2018-01-09. Retrieved 2018-01-09.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 24 March 2018. Retrieved 24 March 2018.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- Saudi warplane crashes in Yemen; pilots escape
- A Royal Saudi Air Force aircraft has been downed in the Sa'da Province in the northwest of war-torn Yemen, rebels said, cited by local news outlets.
- Saudi Military F – 15 fighter jet shot down in Yemen: Report
- "Saudi Royal Air Force shot down a drone at Abha International Airport and on a civilian facility in Jayzan". mod.gov.sa. Retrieved 26 December 2018.
- Anadolu Agency (18 April 2018). "UAE army intercepts Houthi drone in Yemen: News agency".
- "UAE Armed Forces shoot down two Houthi drones in Yemen". The National. 24 July 2018.
- Two Saudi pilots killed in helicopter crash: state media
- Yemeni rebels claim they shot down Saudi-led coalition drone
- Saudi drone shot down in Yemen
- "Saudis shoot down drone aimed at kingdom, Saudi TV reports". Reuters. 8 March 2019.
- Arab News (31 March 2019). "Yemen's army shoots down another Houthi drone".
- Arabian Business (3 April 2019). "Five injured by Houthi drone attack on Saudi city".
- "Yemeni pro-gov't forces shoot down Houthi drone in Hodeidah". Xinhuanet. 4 April 2014.
- The National (8 April 2019). "Arab Coalition destroys Houthi drone targeting Saudi civilians".
- The National (11 April 2019). "Arab Coalition forces shoot down suspected Houthi drone".
- "Saudi Spy Drone Shot Down by Yemeni Forces in Saada (+Video)". Tasnim News Agency. 20 April 2019.
- المشهد اليمني الأول (2019-04-19), صعدة - مشاهد للحظة إسقاط الطائرة التجسسية المقاتلة "wing loong" بصاروخ أرض - جو مناسب, retrieved 2019-04-20
- "Saudi shoots down explosive-laden Houthi drone targeting airport". Khaleej Times. 27 May 2019.
- "Yemen's Houthis launch drone attack on Saudi-led coalition military parade in Aden". Reuters. 2 June 2019.
- "Houthis Say US Reaper Drone Shot Down, Release Video, Pics". Breaking Defense. 14 June 2019.
- "CENTCOM: MQ-9 Reaper shot down over Yemen last week". Military Times. 15 June 2019.
- "Saudi Arabia says it has intercepted two Houthi drones". Al Jazeera. 10 June 2019.
- "KSA intercepts 5 drones launched by Houthis on Abha Airport". Iraq News. 15 June 2019.
- "Saudi Arabia intercepts two Houthi drones". Khaleej Times. 18 June 2019.
- "Saudi-led coalition intercepted a Houthi drone launched toward the kingdom: SPA". Reuters. 26 June 2019.
- "Saudi Arabia intercepts two Houthi drones launched into kingdom". Al Jazeera. 30 June 2019.
- "Saudi air defense forces intercept Houthi drones targeting Jazan airport". Arab News. 5 July 2019.
- "Saudi Arabia intercepts rebel Al Houthi drones". Gulf News. 7 July 2019.
- "Saudi-led coalition intercepted a Yemeni Houthi drone launched at kingdom: SPA". Reuters. 9 July 2019.
- "Coalition intercepts 2 Houthi drones targeting southern Saudi Arabia". Arab News. 15 July 2019.