List of awards received by Al Gore
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Al Gore has received a number of important awards and honors:
2017 awards and honors
2012 awards and honors
- 2012 Inaugural member of the Internet Hall of Fame given by the Internet Society (Global Connectors: "Recognizing individuals from around the world who have made significant contributions to the global growth and use of the Internet")
- In 2012, a fish species was named after him, Etheostoma gore, for his environmental vision, commitment, and accomplishments throughout decades of public service and his role in educating the public and raising awareness on the issue of global climate change
2011 awards and honors
2010 awards and honors
- 2010 Honorary Doctorate, Tilburg University
- 2010 Honorary Doctorate, University of Tennessee-Knoxville
2009 awards and honors
- 2009 The Berkeley Medal from the University of California, Berkeley.
- 2009 Roger Revelle Prize from the Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of California, San Diego
- 2009 NAACP Image Award - Chairman's Award (with Wangari Maathai) 
- Gore wrote An Inconvenient Truth: The Planetary Emergency of Global Warming and What We Can Do About It, which won a Grammy Award for Best Spoken Word Album.
2008 awards and honors
- 2008 National Civil Rights Museum Freedom Award (Theme: "A Climate of Change"): "The National Civil Rights Museum, located at the Lorraine Motel, assassination site of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., chronicles key episodes of the American civil rights movement and the legacy of this movement to inspire participation in civil and human rights efforts globally, through our collections, exhibitions, and educational programs." Diane Nash will also be honored.
- 2008 Named one of Foreign Policy Magazine's Top 100 Public Intellectuals
- 2008 Honorary Doctorate in Humane Letters, Carnegie Mellon University
- 2008 Doctor honoris causa, École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne
- 2008 Dan David Prize: "Social Responsibility with Particular Emphasis on the Environment"
- 2008 The Gore resolution (HJR712) passed by the Tennessee House of Representatives which honors Gore's "efforts to curb global warming"
2007 awards and honors
- 2007 Nobel Peace Prize with the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) (environment)
- 2007 Time Person of the Year: Runner - Up.
- 2007 Gothenburg Prize for Sustainable Development
- 2007 International Academy of Television Arts and Sciences: Founders Award (Emmy) for Current TV and for work in the area of global warming
- 2007 Quill Awards: History/current events/politics, The Assault on Reason
- 2007 Prince of Asturias Award in Spain (environment)
- 2007 The Sir David Attenborough Award for Excellence in Nature Filmmaking (environment)
- 2007 Honorary Fellow, American Academy of Arts and Sciences
- 2007 Honorary Doctorate, Concordia University
- Gore wrote, and starred in the 2006 documentary An Inconvenient Truth, which won an Academy Award for Best Documentary in 2007.
- 1999 Neutra Medal for Professional Excellence: In recognition for his contributions to the Environmental Design Profession and in honor of Modernist architect Richard Neutra.
- 2006 Quill Awards: History/current events/politics, An Inconvenient Truth
- 2005 Webby Award: Lifetime Achievement Award (interactive technology)
- 1998 The Computerworld Honors Program Honoring Those Who Use Information Technology to Benefit Society: Toshiba America Leadership Award for Education
- 1993 First Annual Cisco Systems Circle Award: "In recognition of his visionary leadership in building global awareness of computer networking through the National Information Highway Initiative"
- 1969 National Defense Service Medal
- 2012 Inductees, Internet Hall of Fame website. Last accessed April 24, 2012
- , Fishbase, 2012.
- Al Gore Praises Blum Center, Students[permanent dead link]
- Scripps to salute centennial of UCSD founder/oceanographer Roger Revelle
- NAACP SETS A DATE FOR IMAGE AWARDS: Nominees to be announced in January; ceremony to be held following month Archived 2009-01-09 at the Wayback Machine.
- "2008 Freedom Award Honors Al Gore and Diane Nash for 'A Climate of Change'". Wall Street Journal. August 19, 2008. Retrieved 2008-08-19.
- Top 100 Public Intellectuals
- Gore tells CMU graduates they can become heroes, AP, May 19, 2008, archived from the original on June 17, 2008
- EPFL Research Day 2008, in the presence of Al Gore, April 15, 2008
- Al Gore and Amos Oz Among 2008 Dan David Prize Winners, February 12, 2008
- "House passes resolution to honor Gore's efforts". knoxnews.com. Retrieved 2008-01-11.
- "All Nobel Laureates". nobelprize.org. Retrieved 2009-01-29.
- Bono (2007-12-19). "TIME Person of the Year 2007 Runners-Up: Al Gore". TIME. Retrieved 2009-01-04.
- "Al Gore To Be Awarded Gothenburg Prize For Sustainability". SR International - Radio Sweden. Archived from the original on 2008-01-19. Retrieved 2008-01-06.
- 2007 Awards for the International Academy of Television Arts and Sciences
- "Al Gore". Prince of Asturias Foundation. Archived from the original on 2007-09-26. Retrieved 2007-07-17.
- Lisa Knox Burns. "Gore to People: It's Up to US" Archived 2008-04-05 at the Wayback Machine. edhat.com.
- Academy Announces 2007 Class of Fellows
- "Hon Doc for Al Gore". Concordia Journal. Retrieved 2007-06-14.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-10-19. Retrieved 2014-10-12.
- A.P. (5 May 2005). "Webby Awards not laughing at Gore's contribution to Net Former Vice President of the United States". USA Today. Retrieved 2008-06-15.
- Carr, David (8 June 2005). "Accepting a Webby? Brevity, Please". American Broadcasting Company. Retrieved 2008-06-15.
- "The Computerworld Honors Program: Honoring Those Who Use Information Technology to Benefit Society". Archived from the original on 2008-02-24. Retrieved 2008-06-15.
- Vice President Albert Gore Accepts Cisco Circle Award, cisco.com, June 23, 1993, archived from the original on February 24, 2007