List of banks in China
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2021)
This is a list of banks in China, including Mainland China, Hong Kong, and Macau.
The central bank of the People's Republic of China is the People's Bank of China, a component of the State Council, the Central Government of China. The People's Bank of China is mainly responsible for issuing the Renminbi and administering its circulation, in addition to formulating and implementing monetary policy in accordance with Chinese law. Its counterparts in the Hong Kong SAR and Macau SAR are the Hong Kong Monetary Authority and the Monetary Authority of Macao respectively, both of which serve as their respective locale's currency board and de facto central bank.
Banks in Mainland China
|Agricultural Development Bank of China||中国农业发展银行||Beijing|
|China Development Bank||国家开发银行||Beijing|
|Exim Bank of China||中国进出口银行||Beijing|
State-owned Commercial Banks
China has six state-owned commercial banks. These banks are ranked by their Tier 1 capital amount[clarification needed] as of 2018. Banks with asterisks (*) are the four major state-owned banks (i.e. the "Big Four Banks").
|Name||Abbreviation||Chinese||Abbr. in Chinese||Headquarters|
|Industrial and Commercial Bank of China*||ICBC||中国工商银行||工行||Beijing|
|China Construction Bank*||CCB||中国建设银行||建行||Beijing|
|Bank of China*||BOC||中国银行||中行||Beijing|
|Agricultural Bank of China*||ABC||中国农业银行||农行||Beijing|
|Bank of Communications||BoCom||交通银行||交行||Shanghai|
|Postal Savings Bank of China||PSBC||中国邮政储蓄银行||邮储银行||Beijing|
|China Merchants Bank||招商银行||Shenzhen|
|Shanghai Pudong Development Bank||上海浦东发展银行||Shanghai|
|China CITIC Bank||中信银行||Beijing|
|China Minsheng Bank||中国民生银行||Beijing|
|China Everbright Bank||中国光大银行||Beijing|
|Ping An Bank||平安银行||Shenzhen|
|China Guangfa Bank||广发银行||Guangzhou|
|China Zheshang Bank||浙商银行||Hangzhou|
|China Bohai Bank||渤海银行||Tianjin|
|Hengfeng Bank / Evergrowing Bank||恒丰银行||Yantai|
City Commercial Banks
- Bank of Beijing
- Bank of Shanghai
- Bank of Jiangsu
- Bank of Ningbo
- Bank of Dalian
- Bank of Taizhou
- Bank of Tianjin
- Xiamen International Bank
- Tai'an Bank
- Shengjing Bank (Shenyang)
- Harbin Bank
- Bank of Jilin
Rural Commercial Banks
Rural commercial banks were converted from rural credit cooperatives and play an important role in rural financial needs. Some rural commercial banks include Beijing Rural Commercial Bank, Shanghai Rural Commercial Bank, and Chongqing Rural Commercial Bank.
Internet Banks and other private banks
- WeBank (China) (Shenzhen) - The first private bank and Internet bank in China, initiated by Tencent.
- MYbank (Hangzhou)[a] - Internet bank in China, established by Ant Financial Services Group
- Shanghai Huarui Bank
- Wenzhou Minshang Bank
- Liaoning Zhenxing Bank
Branches and subsidiaries of foreign banks
The China Banking Regulatory Commission (CBRC) announced its approval for nine foreign-funded banks to start their preparatory work for setting up local corporations in China on 24 December 2006. Following this, additional banks have been able to incorporate locally.
The following is a non-exhaustive list. Asterisks (*) indicate that the bank does not service individuals.
- ABN AMRO (Netherlands) (now RBS China due to de-merging)
- Australia and New Zealand Banking Group
- Banco Santander
- Bank Mandiri
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch
- Bank of Montreal (Canada)
- Bank of New York Mellon
- Barclays Bank
- BBVA Bank
- BNP Paribas
- Citibank (United States)
- Commonwealth Bank of Australia
- Crédit Agricole
- Credit Suisse
- Dah Sing Bank
- Dah Sing Bank (Hong Kong)
- DBS Bank (Singapore)
- Deutsche Bank
- Fubon Bank (Taiwan)
- Hana Bank (South Korea)
- Hang Seng Bank (Hong Kong)
- ING Bank
- Intesa Sanpaolo
- JPMorgan Chase Bank (United States)*
- KASIKORNBANK (开泰银行)
- KBC Bank
- Mizuho Corporate Bank (Japan)*
- National Australia Bank
- Norddeutsche Landesbank
- OCBC Wing Hang Bank (Hong Kong)
- Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation (Singapore)
- Raiffeisen Bank International
- Scotiabank (Canada)
- Shinhan Bank (South Korea)
- Societe Generale (France)
- SPD Silicon Valley Bank
- Standard Chartered Bank (United Kingdom)
- The Bank of East Asia (Hong Kong)
- The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ (Japan)*
- The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation (Hong Kong - see HSBC Bank (China))
- United Overseas Bank (Singapore)
- VTB Bank
- Wells Fargo Bank
- Westpac Bank
- Woori Bank (South Korea)
Banks in the Special Administrative Regions
Part of commercial banks in Hong Kong are listed below.
- Bank of China (Hong Kong) Limited
- Bank of East Asia, Limited (The)
- China Construction Bank (Asia) Corporation Limited
- Chiyu Banking Corporation Limited
- Chong Hing Bank Limited
- Citibank (Hong Kong) Limited
- CITIC Ka Wah Bank Limited
- Columbia Bank Limited
- Dah Sing Bank Limited
- DBS Bank (Hong Kong) Limited
- East Asia Banking Corporation Limited
- Fubon Bank (Hong Kong) Limited
- Hang Seng Bank Ltd.
- Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited (The)
- Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (Asia) Limited
- MEVAS Bank Limited
- Nanyang Commercial Bank, Limited
- OCBC Wing Hang Bank Limited (Banco OCBC Weng Hang, S.A.)
- Public Bank (Hong Kong) Limited
- Shanghai Commercial Bank Ltd.
- Standard Bank Asia Limited
- Standard Chartered Bank (Hong Kong) Limited
- Tai Sang Bank Ltd.
- Tai Yau Bank Ltd.
- Wing Lung Bank Limited
- Bank of East West China
Some commercial banks in Macau are listed below:
- OCBC Wing Hang Bank Limited - Banco Weng Hang, S.A.
- Banco Delta Asia Limited - Banco Delta Ásia, S.A.R.L.
- China Construction Bank (Macau) Corporation Limited - Banco de Construcao da China (Macau), S.A.
- Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (Macau) - Banco Industrial e Comercial da China (Macau), S.A.
- Luso International Banking Limited - Banco Luso Internacional, S.A.
- Banco Comercial de Macau, S.A. - Banco Comercial Português, S.A.
- The Macau Chinese Bank Ltd. - Banco Chinês de Macau, S.A.
- Banco Nacional Ultramarino, S.A. - Banco Nacional Ultramarino, S.A.
- Well Link Bank, S.A. - Well Link Bank, S.A.
- Belt and Road Initiative
- List of banks
- List of companies in China
- People's Bank of China - the central bank of China
- Cross-Border Inter-Bank Payments System
- Ownership is through a Variable Interest Entity (V.I.E.) structure, which was created in 2000, to circumvent Chinese restrictions on investment in certain industries. Buyers were actually purchasing shares in a Cayman Islands shell corporation, not in the Alibaba group, as China forbids foreign ownership of its companies. Direct investment in MYbank or Ant Financial is not possible as of June 2017. A future IPO offering for Ant Financial Services Group, which owns the subsidiary MYbank, is expected in both the domestic Chinese stock exchange and overseas exchanges.
- "People's Bank of China". www.pbc.gov.cn. Retrieved 2019-02-12.
- "China Development Bank". www.cdb.com.cn. Retrieved 2019-02-12.
- "About Post Savings Bank of China".
- Solomon, Steven Davidoff (6 May 2014). "Alibaba Investors Will Buy a Risky Corporate Structure". New York Times (Dealbook blog). Retrieved 12 Jun 2017.
- Wu, Kane (26 Apr 2016), 5 Things to Know About China's Ant Financial, Wall Street Journal, retrieved 12 Jun 2017
- Dou, Eva; Carew, Rick (4 Jan 2016), Alibaba Affiliate Ant Financial Begins Second Round of Financing: Major force in China's electronic-finance sector takes another step toward a public listing, Wall Street Journal, retrieved 12 Jun 2017
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2018-07-20. Retrieved 2018-07-25.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Chinese central bank fines Bank of Lanzhou for breach of settlement rules". www.spglobal.com. Retrieved 2021-01-28.
- "Bank of Lanzhou - CB Insights". www.cbinsights.com. Retrieved 2021-01-28.
- "甘肃银行（2139.HK）IPO点评：港股2018银行IPO第一股，区域领先的国有城商行". Archived from the original on 5 January 2018.
- CBRC Archived 2007-10-07 at the Wayback Machine
- Xinhua Archived 2007-09-27 at the Wayback Machine Xinhua Archived 2007-09-29 at the Wayback Machine
- Wen Wei Po