List of banks in China
This is a list of banks in China, including Mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan.
The central bank of the People's Republic of China is the People's Bank of China, a component of the State Council, the Central Government of China. The People's Bank of China is mainly responsible for issuing the Renminbi and administering its circulation, formulating and implementing monetary policy in accordance with law and etc.. And its counterparts in Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR and Taiwan region (Taiwan, Penghu, Kinmen and Matsu) are Hong Kong Monetary Authority (currency board and de facto central bank), Monetary Authority of Macao (currency board and de facto central bank) and Central Bank of the ROC (Taiwan) respectively.
- 1 Banks in Mainland China
- 2 Banks in the Special Administrative Regions and Taiwan region
- 3 See also
- 4 Notes
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Banks in Mainland China
All banks, except the People's Bank of China, are under the supervision of China Banking and Insurance Regulatory Commission, an agency of the People's Republic of China (PRC) authorised by the State Council.
It is commonly known that there are three policy banks in China as the chart below. Among them, China Development Bank was incorporated as China Development Bank Corporation in December 2008, and officially defined by the State Council as a development finance institution in March 2015.
|Agricultural Development Bank of China||中国农业发展银行||Beijing|
|China Development Bank||国家开发银行||Beijing|
|Exim Bank of China||中国进出口银行||Beijing|
Commercial Banks (State-owned)
There are six state-owned commercial banks in China as the chart below. These banks are listed by their Tier 1 capital amount in 2018.
The banks below with asterisks (*) are the four major state-owned banks or BIG FOUR BANKS in China. These four banks are the four biggest banks around world in 2018, as the statistic result made by The Banker.
Bank of Communications was established in 1908 and restructured and re-commenced operations on 1 April 1987, which is one of the banks with the longest history in China. Moreover, it is the first state-owned incorporated bank in the PRC. So it is always regarded as the fifth major state-owned bank in China.
Postal Savings Bank of China is a leading large retail bank in China with most outlets, up to about 40,000, covering rural areas to a large extent. Over 80% of all its outlets are set along with post office of China Post.
|Name||Abbreviation||Chinese||Abbr. in Chinese||Headquarter|
|Industrial and Commercial Bank of China *||ICBC||中国工商银行||工行||Beijing|
|China Construction Bank *||CCB||中国建设银行||建行||Beijing|
|Bank of China *||BOC||中国银行||中行||Beijing|
|Agricultural Bank of China *||ABC||中国农业银行||农行||Beijing|
|Bank of Communications||BoCom||交通银行||交行||Shanghai|
|Postal Savings Bank of China||PSBC||中国邮政储蓄银行||邮储银行||Beijing|
Commercial Banks (12 Nationwide Incorporated)
There are 12 nationwide incorporated commercial banks in China as the chart below. These banks are listed by their Tier 1 capital amount in 2018.
|China Merchants Bank||招商银行||Shenzhen|
|Shanghai Pudong Development Bank||上海浦东发展银行||Shanghai|
|China CITIC Bank||中信银行||Beijing|
|China Minsheng Bank||中国民生银行||Beijing|
|China Everbright Bank||中国光大银行||Beijing|
|Ping An Bank||平安银行||Shenzhen|
|China Guangfa Bank||广发银行||Guangzhou|
|China Zheshang Bank||浙商银行||Hangzhou|
|China Bohai Bank||渤海银行||Tianjin|
|Hengfeng Bank / Evergrowing Bank||恒丰银行||Yantai|
Commercial Banks (City and regional)
City commercial banks and regional commercial banks were transferred from urban credit cooperatives established in 1980s and 1990s. They have been important components of banks in China. This is an incomplete list of city banks and regional banks.
- Bank of Beijing
- Bank of Shanghai
- Bank of Jiangsu
- Bank of Ningbo
- Bank of Dalian
- Bank of Taizhou
- Bank of Tianjin
- Xiamen International Bank
- Tai'an Bank
- Shengjing Bank (Shenyang)
- Harbin Bank
- Bank of Jilin
Commercial Banks (Rural)
Rural commercial banks were transferred from rural credit cooperatives established in early years. They play irreplaceable role in rural financial service.
There are 30 rural commercial banks complete The Banker TOP1000 bank around the world like Beijing Rural Commercial Bank, Shanghai Rural Commercial Bank, Chongqing Rural Commercial Bank and etc..
Internet Banks and other private banks
This is an incomplete list.
- WeBank (China) (Shenzhen) - The first private bank and Internet bank in China, initiated by Tencent.
- MYbank (Hangzhou)[a] - Internet bank in China, established by ANT FINANCIAL SERVICES GROUP.
- Shanghai Huarui Bank
- Wenzhou Minshang Bank
Branches and subsidiaries of foreign banks
The China Banking Regulatory Commission (CBRC) announced its approval for nine foreign-funded banks to start their preparatory work for setting up local corporations in China on 24 December 2006. Currently, even more banks have been able to incorporate locally in China.
The list below is incomplete.
* - Does not service individuals
- ABN AMRO (Netherlands) (now RBS China due to de-merging)
- Australia and New Zealand Banking Group
- The Bank of East Asia (Hong Kong)
- The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ (Japan) *
- Citibank (United States)
- DBS Bank (Singapore)
- Hang Seng Bank (Hong Kong)
- The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation (Hong Kong - see HSBC Bank (China))
- JPMorgan Chase Bank (United States) *
- Mizuho Corporate Bank (Japan) *
- Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation (Singapore)
- United Overseas Bank (Singapore)
- Standard Chartered Bank (United Kingdom)
- OCBC Wing Hang Bank (Hong Kong)
- Dah Sing Bank (Hong Kong)
- Woori Bank (South Korea)
- Shinhan Bank (South Korea)
- Hana Bank (South Korea)
- Societe Generale (France)
- Bank of Montreal (Canada)
- Fubon Bank (Taiwan)
- Australia and New Zealand Bank
- Banco Santander
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch
- Bank of Montreal (Canada)
- Scotiabank (Canada)
- Bank of New York Mellon
- Bank Mandiri
- Barclays Bank
- BBVA Bank
- BNP Paribas
- Citibank China
- Commonwealth Bank of Australia
- Crédit Agricole
- Credit Suisse
- Dah Sing Bank
- DBS Bank
- Deutsche Bank
- ING Bank
- Intesa Sanpaolo
- JPMorgan Chase Bank
- KBC Bank
- Mizuho Corporate Bank
- National Australia Bank
- Norddeutsche Landes Bank
- Raiffeisen Bank International
- SPD Silicon Valley Bank
- United Overseas Bank
- VTB Bank
- Wells Fargo Bank
- Westpac Bank
Banks in the Special Administrative Regions and Taiwan region
Part of commercial banks in Hong Kong are listed below.
- Bank of China (Hong Kong) Limited
- Bank of East Asia, Limited (The)
- China Construction Bank (Asia) Corporation Limited
- Chiyu Banking Corporation Limited
- Chong Hing Bank Limited
- Citibank (Hong Kong) Limited
- CITIC Ka Wah Bank Limited
- Columbia Bank Limited
- Dah Sing Bank Limited
- DBS Bank (Hong Kong) Limited
- East Asia Banking Corporation Limited
- Fubon Bank (Hong Kong) Limited
- Hang Seng Bank Ltd.
- Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited (The)
- Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (Asia) Limited
- MEVAS Bank Limited
- Nanyang Commercial Bank, Limited
- OCBC Wing Hang Bank Limited (Banco OCBC Weng Hang, S.A.)
- Public Bank (Hong Kong) Limited
- Shanghai Commercial Bank Ltd.
- Standard Bank Asia Limited
- Standard Chartered Bank (Hong Kong) Limited
- Tai Sang Bank Ltd.
- Tai Yau Bank Ltd.
- Wing Lung Bank Limited
- Bank of East West China
Part of commercial banks in Macau are listed below.
- OCBC Wing Hang Bank Limited - Banco Weng Hang, S.A.
- Banco Delta Asia Limited - Banco Delta Ásia, S.A.R.L.
- China Construction Bank (Macau) Corporation Limited - Banco de Construcao da China (Macau), S.A.
- Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (Macau) - Banco Industrial e Comercial da China (Macau), S.A.
- Luso International Banking Limited - Banco Luso Internacional, S.A.
- Banco Comercial de Macau, S.A. - Banco Comercial Português, S.A.
- The Macau Chinese Bank Ltd. - Banco Chinês de Macau, S.A.
- Banco Nacional Ultramarino, S.A. - Banco Nacional Ultramarino, S.A.
- Novo Banco Asia, S.A. - Novo Banco Ásia, S.A.
Part of commercial banks in Taiwan are listed below.
- China Trust Commercial Bank (CTBC Bank)
- Bank of Taiwan
- Union Bank of Taiwan
- Cathay United Bank
- Bank of Kaohsiung
- Shanghai Commercial and Savings Bank
- Ownership is through a Variable Interest Entity (V.I.E.) structure, which was created in 2000, to circumvent Chinese restrictions on investment in certain industries. Buyers were actually purchasing shares in a Cayman Islands shell corporation, not in the Alibaba group, as China forbids foreign ownership of its companies. Direct investment in MYbank or Ant Financial is not possible as of June 2017. A future IPO offering for Ant Financial Services Group, which owns the subsidiary MYbank, is expected in both the domestic Chinese stock exchange and overseas exchanges.
- "People's Bank of China". www.pbc.gov.cn. Retrieved 2019-02-12.
- "China Development Bank". www.cdb.com.cn. Retrieved 2019-02-12.
- "About Post Savings Bank of China".
- Solomon, Steven Davidoff (6 May 2014). "Alibaba Investors Will Buy a Risky Corporate Structure". New York Times (Dealbook blog). Retrieved 12 Jun 2017.
- Wu, Kane (26 Apr 2016), 5 Things to Know About China’s Ant Financial, Wall Street Journal, retrieved 12 Jun 2017
- Dou, Eva; Carew, Rick (4 Jan 2016), Alibaba Affiliate Ant Financial Begins Second Round of Financing: Major force in China’s electronic-finance sector takes another step toward a public listing, Wall Street Journal, retrieved 12 Jun 2017
- CBRC Archived 2007-10-07 at the Wayback Machine
- Xinhua Xinhua Archived 2007-09-29 at the Wayback Machine
- Wen Wei Po