List of banks in the United Kingdom
Banks incorporated in the UK
There is also a government-run savings bank called National Savings and Investments.
British Retail Banks
These banks provide retail services to the general public. Retail banks are usually known as High street banks because they have multiple branch locations located in the commercial part of cities and towns across the UK. Four British retail banks have no physical branch presence, however.
The retail and commercial banking markets are dominated by five big banks. HSBC, Barclays, Lloyds Banking Group, NatWest Group and Spanish-owned Santander UK who operate more than one banking brand in the UK.
|Headquarters||Total assets (£bn)||Staff||Branches
|Atom Bank||2013||Durham, United Kingdom||2.8||357||Online only|
|Bank of Ireland UK||1783||London, England||1,700|
|HSBC UK||1865||London, England||1,998||511|
|Danske Bank UK||1824||Belfast, Northern Ireland|
|Lloyds Banking Group†[a]||2009||Edinburgh, Scotland, Registered office
|Metro Bank||2010||London, England||21.6||2,831||77|
|Monzo||2015||London, England||0.6||1,600||Online only|
|NatWest Group††[b]||1968||Edinburgh, Scotland||691.0|
|Santander Bank||2010||London, England||231||25,872||857|
|Starling Bank||2014||London, England||1.2||Online only|
|Tandem Bank||2015||London, England||0.5||Online only|
|The Cooperative Bank||1872||Manchester, England||25.5||3,350||152|
|TSB Bank||1810||Edinburgh, Scotland||7,000||536|
|Virgin Money (Clydesdale Bank & Yorkshire Bank)||1995||Newcastle Upon Tyne, England||90.5||79|
- Includes Lloyds Bank and Bank of Scotland (including Halifax, Birmingham Midshires and Intelligent Finance).
- Includes NatWest, the Royal Bank of Scotland and Ulster Bank. The UK government owns a stake of 62% of NatWest Group's ordinary shares, but the bank remains nominally independent of government
Northern Rock which was a building Society before becoming a bank in 1997, failed following the first bank run in the UK in 150 years. It was nationalised by the UK Government on 22 February 2008 and then sold to Virgin Money on 1 January 2012.
On 18 September 2008, Lloyds TSB plc entered into a confirmed agreement to take over HBOS plc, which took effect on 19 January 2009, when HBOS was acquired and folded into Lloyds Banking Group.
Retail Banks owned by Retailers
There are a number of other retail banking businesses owned by retailers including:
- Post Office Money, the trading name used by Post Office Ltd for its branded financial products, most of which are provided by Bank of Ireland UK
- Sainsbury's Bank, owned by British supermarket company Sainsbury's.
- Tesco Bank, owned by British supermarket company Tesco.
- Harrods Bank was acquired by Tandem Money Limited on 11 January 2018
UK banking brands owned by foreign banks
- Allied Irish Bank (GB) and First Trust Bank, owned by AIB Group of the Republic of Ireland
- Al Rayan Bank, owned by Masraf Al Rayan of Qatar
- Axis Bank UK, owned by Axis Bank of India
- Bank of Ceylon (UK), owned by Bank of Ceylon of Sri Lanka
- Bank of Baroda (UK), owned by Bank of Baroda of India
- Bank of China (UK), owned by Bank of China
- Bank of India (UK), owned by Bank of India
- Bank Sepah International plc, owned by Bank Sepah of Iran
- FCMB Bank (UK) Limited, owned by First City Monument Bank of Nigeria
- Zenith Bank (UK), owned by Zenith Bank of Nigeria
- Bank of Ireland UK, owned by Bank of Ireland of the Republic of Ireland; one of the leading banks in Northern Ireland, and present in Great Britain to a lesser extent
- Citibank (UK), owned by Citigroup of the United States
- ICBC (London) plc, by Industrial and Commercial Bank of China
- ICICI Bank (UK), owned by ICICI Bank of India
- Danske Bank (formerly Northern Bank), owned by Danske Bank of Denmark
- Punjab National Bank (International), owned by Punjab National Bank of India
- Santander UK (formerly Abbey, Alliance & Leicester and Bradford & Bingley), owned by Santander Group of Spain
- SEB (UK), owned by Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken, Sweden
- Silicon Valley Bank UK, owned by Silicon Valley Bank of the United States
- State Bank of India (UK), owned by State Bank of India
- Svenska Handelsbanken, UK Branch
- The Bank of East Asia, UK Branch
- TSB Bank, part of Sabadell Group, headquartered in Spain
- Union Bank of India (UK) Ltd, owned by Union Bank of India of India
- United Bank UK, owned by United Bank Limited of Pakistan
Building Societies in the UK
The other main class of consumer financial service organisation in the United Kingdom is the building society. The building society sector has become much smaller with fewer building societies. This was caused, firstly, a number of building societies demutualising in the 1980s and 1990s and subsequently, taken over by banks. Secondly, there has been ongoing consolidation via mergers between societies.
There are 42 building societies in the UK as of 2021 which provide retail banking services to the general public. The five largest as at October 2020 are:
|Nationwide||1846||Swindon, England, UK||208||18,333||1,700|
|Coventry Building Society||1884||Coventry, England, UK||49||2,700||89|
|Yorkshire Building Society||1864||Bradford, West Yorkshire, England||39.6||3,300||231|
|Skipton Building Society||1853||Skipton, England||17.5||1,772||98|
|Leeds Building Society||1875||Leeds, England||20.8||1,426||65|
- 2008 United Kingdom bank rescue package
- 2009 United Kingdom bank rescue package
- Banking in the United Kingdom
- Building society
- List of building societies in the United Kingdom
- Category:Banks of British Overseas Territories
- Category:Defunct banks of the United Kingdom
- "Banks & building societies lists - Bank of England". www.bankofengland.co.uk.
- "Atom Bank: total assets 2019". Statista. Retrieved 2021-06-08.
- "Atom Bank Annual Report 19-20" (PDF).
- "RBS shares plunge on record loss". BBC News. 19 January 2009. Retrieved 8 May 2010.
- "Starling Bank Assets 2019".
- "Tandem Bank: total assets 2018". Statista. Retrieved 2021-06-08.
- "The Cooperative Bank Annual Report for Year ended 2020" (PDF). 8 June 2021.
- "Opening times - The Co-operative Bank. Find your branch". www.bank-opening-times.co.uk. Retrieved 2021-06-08.
- "Lloyds TSB confirms deal to take over HBOS". 18 September 2008. Retrieved 18 September 2008.
- "Recommended acquisition of HBOS plc by Lloyds TSB Group plc" (PDF). Lloyds TSB. 17 September 2008. Archived from the original (PDF) on 23 September 2008. Retrieved 18 September 2008.
- BBC News: HBOS confirms Lloyds merger talks; Guardian: Banking crisis: Lloyds TSB in talks to buy HBOS
- "Sneddon, Hutchison Burt, (17 April 1929–7 Nov. 2009), JP; Lord-Lieutenant of Lanarkshire, 1992–99; former Scottish Divisional Director, Nationwide Anglia Building Society (formerly Nationwide Building Society)", Who Was Who, Oxford University Press, 2007-12-01, retrieved 2021-06-08