List of basilicas in India
This is the complete list of Basilicas in India. Basilica is a title given to some Roman Catholic churches. By canon law no Catholic church can be honoured with the title of basilica unless by apostolic grant or from immemorial custom. The title is bestowed upon large churches that are important as places of pilgrimage or for a specific devotion such as to a saint. Basilicas in this canonical sense are divided into major ("greater") and minor basilicas. Today only four, all in Rome, are classified as major basilicas: the major basilicas of St John Lateran, St Peter, St Paul outside the Walls, and St Mary Major. The other canonical basilicas, including all the basilicas in India are minor basilicas.
There are 23 basilicas in India, of which 18 are of the Latin rite, 4 are of the Syro-Malabar Catholic Church and 1 is of the Syro-Malankara Catholic Church. The state of Kerala has 9 basilicas, including all 4 non-Roman Catholic basilicas while Tamil Nadu has 5 basilicas and Karnataka has 2. All the remaining basilicas are the only ones in their respective states or union territories. India is the country with the most basilicas in Asia.
List of basilicas
- List of cathedrals in India
- Roman Catholicism in India
- List of Roman Catholic dioceses in India
- List of Catholic bishops of India
- List of Catholic Churches in India
- Robert F. McNamara, Minor Basilicas in the United States
- Syro-Malabar Catholic Church
- Syro-Malankara Catholic Church
- "Pro-cathedral gets basilica status", The Hindu, 11 November 2008
- Staff Reporter "Arthunkal church declared basilica", The Hindu, October 12, 2010, accessed December 27, 2010.
- Staff Reporter "Basilica status for Pallippuram church", The Hindu, August 28, 2012, accessed August 29, 2012