List of best-selling Super Nintendo Entertainment System video games
|Part of a series on:|
This is a list of video games for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) video game console, known as the Super Famicom (SFC) in Japan, that have sold or shipped at least one million copies. The best-selling game on the SNES is Super Mario World. First released in Japan on November 21, 1990, it went on to sell over 20 million units worldwide. The second Super Mario game on the SNES, Super Mario All-Stars, is the second-best-selling game on the platform, with sales in excess of 10.5 million units. The console's top five is rounded out by Rare's Donkey Kong Country in third, with sales of 9.3 million units, while its two follow-ups are also in the top ten, Super Mario Kart in fourth, selling over 8.7 million units, and Street Fighter II: The World Warrior in fifth, with 6.3 million units sold.
There are a total of 49 SNES/Super Famicom games on this list which are confirmed to have sold or shipped at least one million units. Of these, twelve were developed by internal Nintendo development divisions. Other developers with the most million-selling games include Capcom and Square, with nine games each in the list of 49. Of the 49 games on this list, 20 were published in one or more regions by Nintendo. Other publishers with multiple million-selling games include Capcom with nine games, Square with eight games, Enix with five games, and Acclaim Entertainment with three games. The most popular franchises on SNES include Super Mario (46.18 million combined units), Donkey Kong (17.96 million combined units), and Street Fighter (12.4 million combined units).
|†||Game was bundled with SNES consoles during its lifetime|
- Only developers and publishers for the original release of each game are listed.
- Only the initial release date on this platform is listed.
- Argonaut Software worked as additional developers on Star Fox.
- O'Malley, James (September 11, 2015). "30 Best-Selling Super Mario Games of All Time on the Plumber's 30th Birthday". Gizmodo. Univision Communications. Retrieved April 23, 2017.
- CESA Games White Papers. Computer Entertainment Supplier's Association.
- "Platinum Titles". Capcom. Archived from the original on December 1, 2016. Retrieved April 22, 2017.
- "March 25, 2004". The Magic Box. Archived from the original on November 26, 2005. Retrieved April 23, 2017.
- Guinness World Records 2016: Gamer's Edition. Vancouver, British Columbia: Jim Pattison Group. September 10, 2015. p. 43. ISBN 978-1-9105610-8-9. Retrieved April 23, 2017.
- "February 2, 2004 - February 4, 2004" (PDF). Square Enix. February 9, 2004. Retrieved April 23, 2017.
- "Ex-RARE emplotees talk Killer Instinct SNES sales, says Killer Instinct 2 for SNES was in the works". Go Nintendo. Go Nintendo. 13 October 2011. Retrieved 10 May 2020.
- "Japan Platinum Game Chart". The Magic Box. Retrieved April 23, 2017.
- "Platinum Titles". Capcom. Archived from the original on January 16, 2008. Retrieved April 23, 2017.
- "US Platinum Game Chart". The Magic Box. Archived from the original on April 21, 2007. Retrieved April 23, 2017.
- "Features: Played in Japan - The next wave of Far Eastern RPGs (Page 5)". Next Generation. Imagine Media. 1996. Archived from the original on 1997-06-06. Retrieved 2020-08-17.
- "Dragon Quest History". Planet Nintendo. Archived from the original on September 27, 2007. Retrieved April 23, 2017.