List of best-selling Super Nintendo Entertainment System video games
The best-selling video game of all-time on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) console, known as the Super Famicom (SFC) in Japan, is Super Mario World. First released in Japan on November 21, 1990, it went on to sell over 20 million units worldwide. The second Super Mario game on the SNES, Super Mario All-Stars (which features enhanced remakes of the four Super Mario games originally released for the Nintendo Entertainment System), is the platform's second best-selling game, with sales in excess of 10.5 million copies. Rare's Donkey Kong Country is the third best-selling game on the SNES, while its two follow-ups are also in the top ten.
A total of 48 SNES/Super Famicom games have sold over a million units. Of those, twelve were developed by internal Nintendo development divisions. Aside from these, the developers with the most million-selling games are Capcom and Square, with nine games each in the list of 48. Nintendo published 20 of these 48 games. Other publishers with multiple million-selling titles include Capcom (nine titles), Square (eight titles), Enix (four titles) and Acclaim Entertainment (three titles). The most popular franchises on SNES include Super Mario (46.18 million combined units), Donkey Kong (17.96 million combined units) and Street Fighter (12.4 million combined units).
|Game was shipped with SNES consoles during its lifetime|
- Only developers and publishers for the original release of each game are listed.
- Argonaut Software worked as additional developers on Star Fox.
- O'Malley, James (September 11, 2015). "30 Best-Selling Super Mario Games of All Time on the Plumber's 30th Birthday". Gizmodo. Univision Communications. Retrieved April 23, 2017.
- CESA Games White Papers. Computer Entertainment Supplier's Association.
- "Platinum Titles". Capcom. Retrieved April 22, 2017.
- "March 25, 2004". The Magic Box. Archived from the original on November 26, 2005. Retrieved April 23, 2017.
- Guinness World Records 2016: Gamer's Edition. Vancouver, British Columbia: Jim Pattison Group. September 10, 2015. p. 43. ISBN 978-1-9105610-8-9. Retrieved April 23, 2017.
- Guinness World Records 2016: Gamer's Edition. Vancouver, British Columbia: Jim Pattison Group. September 10, 2015. p. 51. ISBN 978-1-9105610-8-9.
- "Killer Instinct – Behind The Scenes". NowGamer. Imagine Publishing. March 12, 2009. Retrieved April 23, 2017.
- "February 2, 2004 - February 4, 2004" (PDF). Square Enix. February 9, 2004. Retrieved April 23, 2017.
- "Japan Platinum Game Chart". The Magic Box. Retrieved April 23, 2017.
- "Platinum Titles". Capcom. Archived from the original on January 16, 2008. Retrieved April 23, 2017.
- "US Platinum Game Chart". The Magic Box. Retrieved April 23, 2017.
- "Dragon Quest History". Planet Nintendo. Archived from the original on September 27, 2007. Retrieved April 23, 2017.