List of largest biotechnology companies
A biotechnology company is a company whose products or services primarily use biotechnology methods for their production, design or delivery. The United Nations Convention on Biological Diversity defines 'biotechnology' as: "Any technological application that uses biological systems, living organisms, or derivatives thereof, to make or modify products or processes for specific use." In other words, biotechology can be defined as the mere application of technical advances in life science to develop commercial products. Today, no comprehensive global database of biotech companies is available online, despite the fact that a free and open access project was launched in late 2014.
Independent biotechnology companies
- The following is a list of the top 25 independent biotechnology companies listed on a stock exchange ranked by Market Capitalization as of June 2015 (Q3 2015).
- Note that it does not include biotechnology companies that are now owned by, or part of, larger pharmaceutical groups.
|Rank||Change||Company||Country||Highest Market Cap ever (historical)(USD billions)||Market Cap in Q2 2016 (USD billions)||Market Cap in 2015 (USD billions)||Market Cap in 2014 (USD billions)||Market Cap in 2013 (USD billions)|
|1||Johnson & Johnson||United States||338.8 (July 2016)||333.7||284.2||277.8||258.3|
|2||Roche||Switzerland||263.6 (February 2014)||224.6||234.7||258.5||240.3|
|3||Pfizer||United States||310.5 (July 2000)||213.5||199.3||205.4||196.0|
|4||Novartis||Switzerland||275.2 (July 2015)||196.5||206.1||229.8||195.0|
|5||Merck & Co.||United States||178.9 (January 2015)||159.5||147.6||166.9||146.5|
|6||Novo Nordisk||Denmark||153.8 (June 2015)||139.8||153.9||125.4||19.6|
|7||Bristol-Myers Squibb||United States||115.3 (May 2015)||122.8||114.8||97.6||87.2|
|8||Amgen||United States||130.6 (December 2014)||114.3||122.5||93.1||78.7|
|9||Gilead Sciences||United States||179.6 (June 2013)||111.1||145.8||109.0||78.4|
|10||Sanofi||France||151.3 (September 2014)||109.3||111.8||138.1||142.0|
|11||GlaxoSmithKline||United Kingdom||174.9 (May 2006)||105.5||97.6||128.9||129.6|
|12||AbbVie||United States||112.2 June 2015||100.1||96.8||104.1||83.8|
|13||Allergan||Ireland||133.5 July 2015||91.4||123.3||68.5||29.3|
|14||Eli Lilly & Co||United States||122.6 August 2000||86.9||93.4||76.6||57.0|
|15||Bayer||Germany||129 March 2015||83.2||103.2||113.2||117.4|
|16||Celgene||United States||102.9 March 2015||76.4||94.1||89.5||69.2|
|17||AstraZeneca||United Kingdom||102.9 October 2006||76.4||85.8||88.9||74.6|
|18||Abbott Laboratories||United States||74.8 July 2015||57.8||67.0||67.9||59.3|
|19||Biogen||United States||111.7 March 2015||53.0||68.3||79.7||66.1|
|20||Teva Pharmaceutical||Israel||58.9 April 2010||45.9||55.9||49.0||37.8|
|21||Stryker Corporation||United States||40.2 March 2016||44.8||34.7||35.7||28.4|
|22||Regeneron Pharmaceuticals Inc||United States||56.5 December 2015||36.7||56.5||42.0||27.4|
|23||Shire Pharmaceuticals||Ireland||52.4 October 2014||36.3||41.0||42.4||28.1|
|24||Alexion Pharmaceuticals||United States||43.1 June 2015||26.1||43.0||36.8||26.2|
|25||Baxter International||United States||23.0 August 2015||25.0||20.9||21.6||20.5|
- Q1 2016
- Valeant exits the top-25 list with a decrease in market cap of $25 billion.
- Allergan, plc exits the list due to its merger with Pfizer.
- Stryker & Baxalta enter the top-25
- Q2 2016
- "The Convention on Biological Diversity (Article 2. Use of Terms)." United Nations. 1992. Retrieved on February 6, 2008.
- Carlo Alberto Oppici, Filippo Giancarlo Martinelli. "BioDirecta". Retrieved 22 March 2015.
- "Healthcare – Google Finance".
- "Healthcare – Google Finance".
- "The World’s Biggest Public Companies". Forbes.
- "• Top biotech and pharmaceutical companies market value 2015 - Statistic". Statista.
- BioPharmGuy: Biotech database established in 2008. Sortable by location or business type
- Another List of Biotechnology Companies
- BioDirecta: the most comprehensive free database of biotech and pharma companies