List of largest biotechnology companies
A biotechnology company is a company whose products or services primarily use biotechnology methods for their production, design or delivery. The United Nations Convention on Biological Diversity defines 'biotechnology' as: "Any technological application that uses biological systems, living organisms, or derivatives thereof, to make or modify products or processes for specific use." In other words, biotechology can be defined as the mere application of technical advances in life science to develop commercial products. Today, no comprehensive global database of biotech companies is available online, despite the fact that a free and open access project was launched in late 2014.
Independent biotechnology companies
- The following is a list of the top 25 independent biotechnology companies listed on a stock exchange ranked by Market Capitalization as of June 2015 (Q3 2015).
- Note that it does not include biotechnology companies that are now owned by, or part of, larger pharmaceutical groups.
|Rank||Change||Company||Country||Highest Market Cap ever (historical)(USD billions)||Market Cap in 2015 (USD billions)||Market Cap in 2014 (USD billions)||Market Cap in 2013 (USD billions)|
|1||Johnson & Johnson||United States||306.4
|6||Gilead Sciences||United States||179.6
|8||Allergan, Plc||United States||122.6
|10||Bristol-Myers Squibb||United States||115.3
|14||Eli Lilly & Co||United States||122.6
|18||Biogen Idec||United States||111.7
|19||Abbott Laboratories||United States||74.8
|20||Regeneron Pharmaceuticals Inc||United States||56.5
|22||Alexion Pharmaceuticals||United States||43.1
- "The Convention on Biological Diversity (Article 2. Use of Terms)." United Nations. 1992. Retrieved on February 6, 2008.
- Carlo Alberto Oppici, Filippo Giancarlo Martinelli. "BioDirecta". Retrieved 22 March 2015.
- BioPharmGuy: Biotech database established in 2008. Sortable by location or business type
- Another List of Biotechnology Companies
- BioDirecta: the most comprehensive free database of biotech and pharma companies