List of largest biotechnology companies
A biotechnology company is a company whose products or services primarily use biotechnology methods for their production, design or delivery. The United Nations Convention on Biological Diversity defines 'biotechnology' as: "Any technological application that uses biological systems, living organisms, or derivatives thereof, to make or modify products or processes for specific use." In other words, biotechology can be defined as the mere application of technical advances in life science to develop commercial products. Today, no comprehensive global database of biotech companies is available online, despite the fact that a free and open access project was launched in late 2014.
Independent biotechnology companies
- The following is a list of the top 25 independent biotechnology companies listed on a stock exchange (as indicated) ranked by Market Capitalization.
- Note that it does not include biotechnology companies that are now owned by, or part of, larger pharmaceutical groups.
- The change is the companies relative position in this list, compared to their relative position in the prior year; i.e, an increase would be moving closer to rank 1 and vice-versa.
|Rank||Chg||Company||Country||Largest Market Cap (USD billions)||Market Cap in 2016 (USD billions)||Market Cap in 2015 (USD billions)||Market Cap in 2014 (USD billions)||Market Cap in 2013 (USD billions)|
|1||Johnson & Johnson
|United States||343.1 (Aug 2016)||314.1||284.2||277.8||258.3|
|United States||310.5 (Jul 2000)||196.3||199.3||205.4||196.0|
|Switzerland||263.6 (Feb 2014)||192.1||234.7||258.5||240.3|
|Switzerland||275.2 (Jul 2015)||170.5||206.1||229.8||195.0|
|5||Merck & Co.
|United States||178.9 (Jan 2015)||164.3||147.6||166.9||146.5|
|United States||133.9 (Jul 2015)||108.9||122.5||93.1||78.7|
|France||151.3 (Sep 2014)||101.8||111.8||138.1||142.0|
|United States||117.9 Jul 2015||100.2||96.8||104.1||83.8|
|United States||128.3 (Jul 2016)||98.2||114.8||97.6||87.2|
|United States||179.6 (Jun 2013)||96.6||145.8||109.0||78.4|
|United States||110.0 Jul 2015||91.4||94.1||89.5||69.2|
|United Kingdom||174.9 (May 2006)||93.3||97.6||128.9||129.6|
|Denmark||159.6 (Aug 2015)||92.6||153.9||125.4||19.6|
|Germany||129.0 (Mar 2015)||85.3||103.2||113.2||117.4|
|15||Eli Lilly & Co
|United States||122.6 (Aug 2000)||80.9||93.4||76.6||57.0|
|Ireland||133.5 (Jul 2015)||72.7||123.3||68.5||29.3|
|United Kingdom||102.9 (Oct 2006)||68.8||85.8||88.9||74.6|
|United States||111.7 (Mar 2015)||61.6||68.3||79.7||66.1|
|United States||76.3 (Jul 2015)||56.4||67.0||67.9||59.3|
|Ireland||62.0 (Sep 2014)||50.1||41.0||42.4||28.1|
|United States||46.0 (Jul 2016)||45.1||34.7||35.7||28.4|
|22||Regeneron Pharmaceuticals Inc
|United States||61.4 (Aug 2015)||39.3||56.5||42.0||27.4|
|Israel||60.4 (Jul 2015)||37.5||55.9||49.0||37.8|
|United States||47.0 (Jul 2015)||28.2||43.0||36.8||26.2|
|United States||26.7 (Oct 2016)||24.2||20.9||21.6||20.5|
- "The Convention on Biological Diversity (Article 2. Use of Terms)." United Nations. 1992. Retrieved on February 6, 2008.
- Carlo Alberto Oppici, Filippo Giancarlo Martinelli. "BioDirecta". Retrieved 22 March 2015.
- "Healthcare – Google Finance".
- "Healthcare – Google Finance".
- "The World's Biggest Public Companies". Forbes.
- "• Top biotech and pharmaceutical companies market value 2015 - Statistic". Statista.
- BioPharmGuy: Biotech database established in 2008. Sortable by location or business type
- Another List of Biotechnology Companies
- BioDirecta: the most comprehensive free database of biotech and pharma companies