List of bottling incidents by year
- Metallic K.O. is an infamous live recording by The Stooges. During much of the performance, Iggy Pop sings while pieces of ice, eggs, beer bottles and jelly beans, among other things, are thrown at him in response to his audience-baiting. In the essay "Iggy Pop: Blowtorch in Bondage" critic Lester Bangs calls the album a "documentation of the Iggy holocaust at its most nihilistically out of control." He describes the Stooges concert he attended that immediately preceded the Metallic K.O. performances:
|“||The audience, which consisted largely of bikers, was unusually hostile, and Iggy, as usual, fed on that hostility, soaked it up and gave it back and absorbed it all over again in an eerie, frightening symbiosis. "All right," he finally said, stopping a song in the middle, "you assholes wanta hear 'Louie, Louie,' we'll give you 'Louie, Louie.'" So the Stooges played a forty-five-minute version of "Louie Louie," including new lyrics improvised by the Pop on the spot consisting of "You can suck my ass / You biker faggot sissies," etc.
By now the hatred in the room is one huge livid wave, and Iggy singles out one heckler who has been particularly abusive: "Listen, asshole, you heckle me one more time and I'm gonna come down there and kick your ass." "Fuck you, you little punk," responds the biker. So Iggy jumps off the stage, runs through the middle of the crowd, and the guy beats the shit out of him, ending the evening's musical festivities by sending the lead singer back to his motel room and a doctor. I walk into the dressing room, where I encounter the manager of the club offering to punch out anybody in the band who will take him on. The next day the bike gang, who call themselves the Scorpions, will phone WABX-FM and promise to kill Iggy and the Stooges if they play the Michigan Palace on Thursday night. They do (play, that is), and nobody gets killed, but Metallic K.O. is the only rock album I know where you can actually hear hurled beer bottles breaking against guitar strings.
- On June 3, 1977, restless fans threw rocks and bottles at Led Zeppelin when a concert in Tampa, Florida ended early due to a thunderstorm, even though the tickets said "rain or shine", resulting in a small riot that left over 100 injured due to crowd crushing.
- In 1978, AC/DC were bottled on stage at the Seattle Center Coliseum, in which Angus Young got onto Bon Scott's shoulders and walked into the audience, but the band continued playing after this incident.
- Various objects, including sandwiches and bottles were thrown at The Ramones at the Canadian World Music Festival in Toronto in July 1979, ending with Johnny Ramone "flipping them off" 5 or 6 songs into the set.
- At a Jethro Tull concert in Madison Square Garden on October 12, 1979, a fan threw a rose onstage, and it hit Ian Anderson, wounding his eye with a thorn. The band was forced to cancel the next two shows while Anderson recovered. He appeared at subsequent concert dates wearing protective goggles.
- Peter and the Test Tube Babies were repeatedly spat on during the recording of Pissed and Proud. On the album, the lead singer can be heard asking the audience to "Leave out the gob, we had a shower this morning, you cunts."
- Steel Pulse were heavily bottled by fans waiting for punk rock group The Stranglers' act at the Reading Festival in 1983, starting the festival's trend.
- Dutch legends Claw Boys Claw were pelted at Pinkpop 1986 with everything from mud to food to bottles after singer Peter te Bos started throwing objects into the audience, ranging from his half-eaten apple to test pressings of their new album to his own shoe.
- The spoof heavy metal band Bad News were bottled extensively in 1986 at Monsters of Rock, prior to the band's musical performance beginning, with Rik Mayall trying to bat some missiles back at the audience with his guitar.
- The Communards were bottled at Pinkpop in 1987. Jimmy Sommerville briefly left the stage but returned to finish the set.
- Meat Loaf and Bonnie Tyler were bottled at the 1988 Reading Festival.
- In 1989 a very young Texas were opening for Simple Minds in Cardiff Arms Park. The band temporarily halted the show due to being continually pelted by a sea of plastic bottles. Lead singer Sharleen Spiteri angrily chastised the crowd who stopped throwing in response: "Do you think it is alright to throw bottles at a wee lassie up here on stage?" at which point a lone bottle was thrown, it arched through the air towards the band and as was clearly seen on the large stage monitors hit Spiteri directly on the head. A huge cheer went up and a deluge of bottles followed, not letting up until Spiteri and Texas had stormed off stage.
- Pavement were bottled during a Lollapalooza event in West Virginia in 1995 with mud. A rock hit Stephen Malkmus in the chest, causing Malkmus to storm off stage, abruptly ending their set. The incident is featured in the documentary Slow Century.
- Everclear front man Art Alexakis was pegged in the mouth with a full water bottle at some point during the So Much for the Afterglow tour. The bottle knocked loose one of his front teeth.
- The Sex Pistols were bottled off stage at Denmark's Roskilde Festival in 1996. The band left the stage briefly after only two songs but returned to play another three. Johnny Rotten asked the crowd to stop; however, bottling continued and the band ended their set with Rotten criticising the crowd for failing to "police themselves".
- On June 17, 1997 at an Ozzfest event, concert goers began throwing bottles at the bands on stage, smashed box office windows, started fires, and overturned cars after the announcement that Ozzy Osbourne would not perform.
- During her performance at Pinkpop 1998, some people in the audience threw a couple of eggs at Dutch singer Anouk. In response, she took off her shirt and finished her performance in a red bra, as was shown on Dutch television.
- Silverchair's Daniel Johns had a bottle thrown at him during a performance in early 1995 at Santa Monica Pier when he was 15 years old. He received multiple stitches to his eyebrow, which he later turned into an eyebrow piercing.
- The Manic Street Preachers were heavily bottled at the Swansea Heineken Festival in 1993. After a bottle hit Nicky Wire in the head, James Dean Bradfield led the band off stage. The band eventually came back onstage and finished their set.
- In 1999, Kevin Rowland was bottled at Reading Festival, after appearing wearing a dress and stockings and being accompanied by two female dancers in stockings.
- Daphne and Celeste were heavily bottled at the Reading Festival, and left the stage at the start of their last song. Pop punk favorites Blink-182 were scheduled to follow them later that day. The duo accused the crowd of "Wasting so much food", which was one of the items thrown at them. The duo themselves have differing opinions if this incident was the beginning of the end of their time together.
- Roger Daltrey was hit in the arm with a bottle while performing with The Who at Madison Square Garden. Daltrey was less than pleased, though Pete Townshend was more jovial, joking with the audience that they should throw watches, cameras, credit cards, and their girlfriends up on the stage. Townshend subsequently collected $25 in thrown cash, declaring it would be donated to "Roger's hospital bill".
- Good Charlotte were bottled at the Reading Festival. They encouraged the crowd to "Boo, hiss and throw some more" on a count of three only to storm off the stage afterwards.
- Justin Timberlake was bottled at the Toronto Rocks concert while playing on the same bill as AC/DC and The Rolling Stones.
- Kelly Osbourne was bottled at the Game On festival. She left the stage 10 minutes into her half-hour set.
- Limp Bizkit were bottled while opening for Metallica before 40,000 spectators at Hawthorne Race Course in Chicago.
- At Reading Festival, rapper 50 Cent was pelted with bottles, many of which were filled with urine. One audience member threw a deckchair onto the stage. 50 Cent lasted nearly 20 minutes before finally throwing his microphone into the crowd in anger. The Rasmus were also bottled off following one song.
- At the Sydney Big Day Out in 2004, restless Metallica fans waiting for the band to play threw bottles at The Strokes during their set on the adjacent stage. One bottle struck lead singer Julian Casablancas in the face, which prompted him to taunt the Metallica fans. After more bottles were thrown, Casablancas jumped down from his stage and confronted the hyped crowd face to face.
- Iron Maiden were egged at their final performance at Ozzfest in 2005. Frontman Bruce Dickinson reportedly urged audience members to "break the arms" of members who were throwing objects on the stage. Other objects such as bottle caps and pieces of ice were thrown on stage as well.
- Blue Blood guitarist Goh Ikeda was bottled at the Prince of Whales in August 2005.
- Simple Plan were bottled at the Ovation Music Festival. This caused some major problems as lead singer Pierre Bouvier was rushed to a hospital shortly after.
- My Chemical Romance and Panic! at the Disco were both bottled at the Reading Festival. Both bands finished their set and the former claimed it as a 'victory.' The incident with Panic! at the Disco was heavily reported by many websites, as singer Brendon Urie was knocked unconscious.
- The Mars Volta had bottles full of urine thrown at them at Endfest. This combined with various sound problems resulted in the band walking off the stage.
- Intricate Unit was bottled by thousands at the Gathering of the Juggalos in Ohio while opening for Dark Lotus and Insane Clown Posse.
- The Veronicas were bottled at the Coke Live 'n' Local in Adelaide. Lisa was hit in the face, and the band threatened to end their set early, screaming abuse.
- Lee Harding was bottled off during a performance at the 2006 Bassinthegrass in Darwin. During the performance then Chief Minister Clare Martin tried to convince Harding to continue playing, but after only one more song he received a bottle to the face, yelled to the crowd "you guys are shit" and stormed off stage.
- My Chemical Romance were heavily bottled during their headline spot at Download 2007.
- Comedian Lewis Black was bottled at the Bonnaroo Music Festival while sitting in on a performance by the band Gov't Mule 
- On June 24, 2007, Jeffree Star was banned from Toronto's Gay Pride Parade for punching a female fan in the face after spectators standing near her threw bottles onstage.
- As I Lay Dying was bottled at the Soundwave festival in Sydney in February. The set was cut short as guitarist Nick Hipa was injured.
- Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age was bottled at the Norwegian Wood concert on June 13. This prompted Josh to call him out and say, "you miserable fucking cunt, go back to your mom's house you 12-year-old dickless fucking turd. And his friends you wanna throw something too - or all you cool, are you all good?"
- Relatively unknown band The FF'ers were bottled heavily at the Reading Festival after rumours circulated that their set was in fact a Foo Fighters secret show. According to their bassist, items thrown included "not just bottles but shoes, clumps of earth, phones, a full packet of cigarettes (exactly what we needed after the gig)".
- Bring Me the Horizon were bottled at the 2008 Reading Festival when appearing as a last-minute replacement for Slipknot, after drummer Joey Jordison broke his ankle. The band were heavily bottled which caused singer Oliver Sykes, to respond to the abuse by saying "It looks a right mess up here on this stage, you obviously don't like our band but that's okay". Other items thrown were crisps and woodchips from the floor. A year later the band appeared at the festival again, but as an official act rather than a replacement albeit three stages down to the Festival Republic Stage.
- Later on in the day, American alternative rock band The Plain White T's were bottled during the early stages of their set. The abuse was put down to the demographic their music was aimed at, as Metallica were that day's headliners.
- Lethal Bizzle was assaulted by bottle during his set at the 2008 Download Festival as he was the only act on the bill not associated with rock or heavy metal. Other items thrown included hundreds of pots of Müller Rice which were being given free by a vendor on site.
- Rapper Lil' Wayne was bottled in Stratford, London due to his inactivity on stage, where he reacted by telling the audience the show was over. As a response, he received more bottling.
- Andrew W.K. was bottled at the Gathering of the Juggalos. In spite of this, he continued performing, shouting "To anybody, you can do whatever you want to do! I love you, no matter what you think of me!"
- Morrissey was bottled at Liverpool Echo Arena in November 2009. He said "goodbye" and left the stage in the middle of his second song.
- Justin Bieber was bottled at the Jingle Ball concert in Sacramento, California in December 2009. After being struck in the head, Bieber said "Ow! That didn't feel good! I don't know why she just threw that at me." He finished the show.
- On September 1, 2010, Guns and Roses was bottled after appearing on stage an hour late at The O2 (now 3Arena) in Dublin.
- In August 2010, Tila Tequila was bottled off stage at the Gathering of the Juggalos. She vowed to take legal action against the organizers and promoters for the event.
- Scottish rock band Glasvegas was bottled at the V Festival in August 2011. They ended their set after four songs, then attempted to restart, but left again after the audience continued to throw objects at them.
- Several bottles of urine were thrown at Cher Lloyd at the V Festival in August 2012. During her second song she fled the stage to compose herself. Although Cher's management advised her to halt the gig for her safety she decided to return and resume her performance. When she returned she told the crowd "It's hard enough being up here, but it's not nice having bottles of piss chucked at you." She ultimately had to end her set early after more bottles were thrown.
- Black Veil Brides suffered bottling abuse from metal fans at June 2012's Download Festival. The lead singer, Andy Biersack, responded to this by "mooning" the crowd. On the Download 2012 Sky Arts highlights, Biersack can clearly be seen in the Black Veil Brides video narrowly avoiding a launched bottle during "Fallen Angels". The band also endured bottling incidents throughout other songs as well as numerous offensive gestures from members of the crowd and verbal satisfaction from the crowd upon leaving the stage at the end of their set.
- Red Hot Chili Peppers front-man Anthony Kiedis was struck with a bottle during the band's performance of Can't Stop in Dallas, Texas.
- A bottle was thrown at and hit Jeff Mills on the head during a live set at Atlantico, Rome on April 24, 2013
- A vodka bottle was thrown at Toots Hibbert during a performance at the River Rock Festival in Richmond, Virginia on May 18, 2013. The 71-year-old musician suffered a concussion and the wound required six staples. All planned shows were immediately cancelled. The official website of the band, Toots & the Maytals, states that "all future performances of Toots & the Maytals have regrettably been cancelled". In a letter to the judge, Toots Hibbert wrote "I continue to suffer from extreme anxiety, memory loss, headaches, dizziness and most sadly of all, a fear of crowds and performing. I am not able to write songs as I did before or remember the lyrics of songs that I wrote and have performed for decades." 
- A fan threw bottles of beer during a Van Halen concert in August 2015 after finishing "In A Simple Rhyme". David Lee Roth then signaled the fans to start their next song, while adding: "Next time, you save the beer for me, you slime.", giving the finger afterwards.
- A bottle was thrown at Harry Styles during a concert with One Direction in September 2015, hitting him in the groin.
- "June 3, 1977". Led Zeppelin official site. Retrieved 24 September 2015.
- "1978 "Powerage" US Tour". AC/DC.net. Retrieved 21 September 2015.
- "Ramones "Flipping The Bird" After Getting Booed Off The Stage". Feelnumb.com. 6 April 2014. Retrieved 20 September 2015.
- Robert Fontenot. "Today in Oldies Music History - October 12 - This Day in Oldies History - October 12 in Music". About.com Entertainment.
- Percival, George. "Bottled Off: 10 Bands Who Suffered Worse Fate Than Macaulay Culkin's Pizza Underground". Contactmusic. Retrieved 16 March 2015.
- "Reading Diary 3: Daphne and Celeste's battle". BBC News. August 28, 2000. Retrieved 2008-05-30.
- http://www.repeatfanzine.co.uk/archive/manics%20swansea.htm. Missing or empty
- "I was nuts", The Guardian, 19 September 2003
- "Good Charlotte: This Year's Daphne & Celeste". Drowned in Sound. August 24, 2006. Retrieved 2008-06-19.
- "Justin Timberlake Bottled at Concert". The Democratic Reporter. Retrieved 2008-05-30.
- http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/kelly-osbourne-bottled-off-stage-at-london-gig. Missing or empty
- "Limp Bizkit Walk Offstage After Chicago Crowd Gets Hostile". MTV News. Retrieved 2009-07-23.
- Harris, Chris (22 August 2005). "Iron Maiden Pelted With Eggs At Final Ozzfest Performance". MTV News. Retrieved 4 April 2015.
- "SIMPLE PLAN - SIMPLE PLAN SINGER BOTTLED ONSTAGE". Contact Music. September 13, 2005. Retrieved 2008-06-19.
- "Concertgoer Throws Bottle at Panic! At The Disco Singer". Starpulse. Retrieved 2008-05-30.
- "My Chemical Romance Bottled At Reading". Ultimate Guitar. August 28, 2006. Retrieved 2008-05-30.
- "Panic! At The Disco speak after bottling". NME. August 25, 2006. Retrieved 2008-06-19.
- "Panic at the Disco Bottled at Festival". Aversion. August 27, 2007. Retrieved 2008-06-19.
- "Concertgoer Throws Bottle at Panic! At The Disco Singer". Star Pulse. August 26, 2006. Retrieved 2008-06-19.
- "Panic! At The Disco Frontman Doing Well After Missile Attack". GIGWISE. August 26, 2006. Retrieved 2008-06-19.
- "The Mars Volta bottled offstage at festival". NME. August 16, 2006. Retrieved 2008-06-19.
- "YouTube: Lowie interviews The Veronicas". YouTube. Retrieved 2008-06-19.
- "My Chemical Romance get bottled again at Download '07". My Chemical Toilet. June 18, 2008. Archived from the original on October 25, 2007. Retrieved 2008-05-30.
- Ryan Couldrey, Don't Eff with Jeffree Star, BlogTO. June 24, 2007. URL accessed June 30, 2007.
- Ryan Couldrey, Jeffree Star Covers Up, BlogTO. June 29, 2007 URL accessed June 30, 2007.
- "AS I LAY DYING STAR BOTTLED + BLOODIED AT CONCERT". Contact Music. February 25, 2008. Retrieved 2008-05-30.
- "YouTube: Queens of the Stone Age angry at guy in Norway". YouTube. Retrieved 2008-06-20.
- NME.COM. "NME News 'Foo Fighters secret gig' chaos at Reading Festival - NME.COM". NME.COM.
- Lil' Wayne Gets Hit With A Bottle!!! (London, Stratford Rex). YouTube. March 17, 2008.
- Andrew WK rocks Gathering of the Juggalos 08. YouTube. August 18, 2008.
- "Morrissey abandons Liverpool show after being hit on head". NME. November 7, 2009. Retrieved 2015-03-21.
- ""Ow!": Justin Bieber Hit with Bottle - on Tape". CBS News. August 10, 2010. Retrieved 2010-080-10. Check date values in:
- Michaels, Sean (September 3, 2010). "Guns N' Roses bottled off stage in Dublin". The Guardian. London: Guardian Media Group. Retrieved 2011-05-05.
- Duke, Alan (August 15, 2010). "Tila Tequila suffers cuts, but escapes juggalos attack". CNN. Retrieved 2010-08-15.
- Anderson, Kyle (August 16, 2010). "Tila Tequila's Juggalo Disaster Joins The List Of Wildest Stage Attacks". MTV. Retrieved 2010-08-16.
- "Glasvegas walk off after bottle attack at V Festival". The Daily Telegraph. London: Telegraph Media Group. August 22, 2011. Retrieved 2012-04-29.
- Sheridan, Emily (August 19, 2012). "Cher Lloyd walks off stage at V Festival after reveller throws bottle of urine at singerCher Lloyd walks off stage at V Festival after reveller throws bottle of urine at singer". Daily Mail. London. Retrieved August 20, 2012.
- Red Hot Chili Peppers-Can't Stop-Water Bottle Incident-Live-Dallas-2012.MOV. YouTube. October 5, 2012.
- "Jeff Mills @ Atlantico Live 24.04.2013 Video 3". YouTube. April 24, 2013. Retrieved 2013-05-01.
- "Man gets jail time despite "Toots" Hibbert's plea". Richmond Times-Dispatch.
- "Toots and the Maytals". tootsandthemaytals.com.
- "Man gets jail time despite "Toots" Hibbert's plea". Richmond Times-Dispatch.
- "Video: VAN HALEN's DAVID LEE ROTH Berates Beer-Throwing Fan". Blabbermouth.net. 29 August 2015. Retrieved 21 September 2015.
- Greenwood, Carl (12 September 2015). "Wincing Harry Styles bottled in his special place by One Direction fans at concert". Daily Mirror. Retrieved 20 September 2015.