List of businesses in Omaha
This is a list of businesses that have their headquarters in Omaha, Nebraska.
Although Nebraska's economy is still primarily based on agriculture, Omaha's economy today has diversified to become a national leader in several industries, including banking, insurance, telecommunications, architecture/construction and transportation. Omaha's economy has grown dramatically since the early 1990s. The city has five companies that rank in the Fortune 500. It also is the smallest city to have two major research hospitals, the University of Nebraska Medical Center and Creighton University Medical Center. Omaha's most prominent businessman is Warren Buffett, nicknamed the "Oracle of Omaha", who was ranked by Forbes magazine as the fourth richest man in the world (in 2013). He lives in a relatively modest home in the Dundee neighborhood west of downtown Omaha.
- American Gramaphone—record label for Chip Davis' Mannehim Steamroller group
- Advanced Home Health Care
- Baker's Supermarkets
- Bozell Worldwide—once one of the largest advertising agencies in the world
- Borsheim's Fine Jewelry—the largest independent jewelry story in the country, owned by Berkshire Hathaway
- The Bekins Company—once the largest moving company in the country, no longer based in Omaha
- Berkshire Hathaway — Fortune 500—a large holding company controlled by legendary investor Warren Buffett. Holdings include GEICO, General Re, Dairy Queen and large shares of Coca-Cola, among others.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Nebraska
- C&A Industries, Inc
- Central States Indemnity Company—a wholly owned company of Berkshire Hathaway
- CHI Health
- ConAgra Foods — Fortune 500—one of the country's largest packaged foods makers, based in Omaha
- Film Streams—a nonprofit arts organization dedicated to enhancing the cultural environment of Omaha, Nebraska and the surrounding region through the presentation and discussion of film
- First National of Nebraska— a privately owned banking company
- The Gallup Organization—the large polling and business consulting organization has its headquarters and Gallup University campus on Omaha's Missouri River front
- Godfather's Pizza—pizza franchise chain based in Omaha
- G. D. Searle & Company
- Gratton Warehouse-third party logistics warehouse that is over 125 years old that makes it one of the cornerstone companies in the Omaha area.
- Hayneedle—operator of e-commerce websites
- HDR, Inc.—formerly Henningson, Durham and Richardson, this architecture, planning and engineering firm is the largest healthcare architecture firm in the country. It also focuses on transportation, municipal architecture and other services, and is one of the 10 largest architecture firms in the country. The company is global employee-owned.
- infoUSA—this business information clearinghouse is based in Omaha
- Peter Kiewit and Sons, Inc.Fortune 500—one of the largest construction firms in the world. The company is employee owned.
- Real Estate Agent
- Lauritzen Corporation—the parent company of the First National of Nebraska companies
- MCL Construction
- Methodist Health System
- Midland Scientific — A national, women owned laboratory products distributor.
- Mutual of Omaha Fortune 500 — This insurance company, one of the country's largest, is perhaps best known for its "Wild Kingdom" television series.
- National Indemnity Company
- Nebraska Medical Center
- Nebraska Furniture Mart—the country's largest home furnishings store, owned by Berkshire Hathaway
- No Frills Supermarkets
- NP Dodge Company
- Omaha Lancers
- Omaha Public Power District
- Omaha Steaks
- Offutt Air Force Base — Offutt AFB is located south of Omaha in Bellevue. The United States Strategic Command (USSTRATCOM) is headquartered at Offutt. The Omaha World-Herald reports the economic impact of the base upon the local community amounted to approximately $2 billion annually.
- Omaha World-Herald
- Oriental Trading Company
- Pacific Life Insurance Company - financial services company that domiciled in Omaha from Newport Beach, California in 2010
- Painting and Wallpaper Omaha
- Physicians Mutual Insurance Company - life and health insurance company Founded in 1902.
- The Reader
- Redstone - Advertising, media and public relations services since 1983.
- Right at Home
- River City Star
- TD Ameritrade Fortune 1000—one of the pioneers of the online brokerage house, Ameritrade, which recently merged with Toronto Dominion Bank's online brokerage, is now TDAmeritrade and remains headquartered in Omaha.
- Union Pacific Railroad -- Fortune 500—the country's largest railroad, Union Pacific, and its holding company, Union Pacific Corp., are based in Omaha.
- Union Stock Yards Company of Omaha
- Valmont Industries - Fortune 1000 —the inventor of center-pivot irrigation systems, and now the largest manufacturer of light poles, street signs and other municipal hardware, is based in Omaha.
- Werner Enterprises—one of the largest long-haul, over-the-road trucking companies is based in Omaha
- Willow Springs Distilling Company
- Woodmen of the World
- West — Fortune 1000
- Yahoo!—datacenter scheduled to be online late 2009
- "The World's Billionaires". Retrieved September 9, 2013.