List of castles in Hamburg
This is a list of castles and manor houses in the German city-state of Hamburg. The list encompasses castles referred to in German as Burg (castle or fortification), Schloss (manor house, castle or palace), and Herrenhaus (manor house or mansion); existing, ruined or completely vanished.
The oldest known structures in Hamburg are or were early Medieval fortifications built between the 9th and 11th centuries, e.g. Hammaburg, Bischofsturm, Domburg, Alsterburg and Neue Burg. They were all purpose-built and are located in Hamburg's Altstadt (old town). Remains of the Bischofsturm (Bishop's tower) can be visited in close vicinity of St. Petrikirche.
Later buildings were rarely fortifications. From the 13th century onwards, Hamburg had a complete ring of defensive structures, and as one of Europe's oldest city-republics there were no royal or princely estates (notable exceptions are structures in the boroughs of Bergedorf and Harburg which date from a time prior to becoming part of Hamburg). In the 17th through 19th century wealthy grand burghers had their country estates built as mansions or manor houses in the former outskirts, notably along Elbe and Elbchaussee in Othmarschen, Nienstedten and Blankenese, but also along Alster and the Alster Valley.
|Bergedorf Castle||Schloss Bergedorf||Bergedorf||Museum|
|Hammaburg||Hammaburg||appr. 825||Location unknown||No remains||Fortification|
|Harburg Castle||Harburger Schloss||1137||Harburg||Tenement|||
|Jenisch House||Jenisch Haus||1831 – 1834||Othmarschen||Museum|||
|Neuwerk lighthouse||Leuchtturm Neuwerk||1300 –1310||Neuwerk||Hotel and lighthouse||Fortification, build from 1300 to 1310.
Since 1815, lighthouse.
|Stillhorn Castle||Schloss Stillhorn||16th century||Wilhelmsburg||No remains|||
|Wandsbek Castle||Wandsbeker Schloss||1772 – 1778||Wandsbek||Ruins not accessible||Demolished in 1861|
|Wellingsbüttel Manor||Herrenhaus Wellingsbüttel||1750||Wellingsbüttel||Private nursing home and restaurant|
- ^ Construction date or first mentioned on record.
- ^ Borough or quarter of current political location.
- "Helms-Museum Die Bischofsburg" (in German). Helms Museum. Retrieved 2009-08-27.
- "Schauraum Bischofsturm" (in German). Retrieved 2009-08-26.
- "Über das Jenisch Haus" (in German). Museum für Kunst und Kultur an der Elbe. Retrieved 2009-08-26.
- "Hammaburg – der große Irrtum". Hamburger Abendblatt (in German). 2007-12-12. Retrieved 2009-03-16.
- "1137 erstmals erwähnt, 1972 abgerissen: Die Geschichte des Harburger Schlosses" (in German). Hamburger Abendblatt. 2006-07-01. Retrieved 2009-08-26.
- Reinhard Bosse. "Der Stillhorner Rezsess von 1672" (in German). Museum Elbinsel Wilhelmsburg. Retrieved 2009-08-26.
- "City Wandsbek Das Wandsbeker Schloss" (in German). Retrieved 2009-03-16.