List of causes of shortness of breath
Many different conditions can lead to the feeling of dyspnea (shortness of breath). DiagnosisPro, an online medical expert system, listed 497 in October 2010. The most common cardiovascular causes are acute myocardial infarction and congestive heart failure while common pulmonary causes include: chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, asthma, pneumothorax, and pneumonia.
- Obstructive lung diseases
- Diseases of lung parenchyma and pleura
- Pulmonary vascular diseases
- Obstruction of the airway
- Immobilization of the diaphragm
- Restriction of the chest volume
- Disorders of the cardiovascular system
- Aortic dissection
- Congenital heart disease
- CREST syndrome
- Heart failure
- Ischaemic heart disease
- Malignant hypertension
- Pericardium disorders, including:
- Pulmonary edema
- Pulmonary embolism
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Valvular heart disease
- Disorders of the blood and metabolism
- Disorders affecting breathing nerves and muscles
- Psychological conditions
- Shiber JR, Santana J (May 2006). "Dyspnea". Med. Clin. North Am. 90 (3): 453–79. doi:10.1016/j.mcna.2005.11.006. PMID 16473100.
- Hwu WL, Suzuki Y, Yang X et al. (February 2000). "Late-onset holocarboxylase synthetase deficiency with homologous R508W mutation". J. Formos. Med. Assoc. 99 (2): 174–7. PMID 10770035.
- Simpson, Kathleen Rice; Patricia A Creehan (2007). Perinatal Nursing (3rd ed.). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. p. 66. ISBN 978-0-7817-6759-0.