List of cemeteries in Russia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The following is a list of cemeteries in Russia.
- Old Donskoe Cemetery in Moscow is an old necropolis next to the Donskoy Monastery.
- New Donskoy Cemetery is the 20th-century necropolis outside the monastery walls.
- Khovanskoye Cemetery
- Kremlin Wall Necropolis - part of the Kremlin Wall where Soviet governments buried many prominent Communist figures.
- Novodevichy Cemetery at the New Maidens' Convent, Moscow - many famous Russians and citizens of the former Soviet Union buried here including Nikita Khrushchev, Boris Yeltsin, the writers Nikolai Gogol and Anton Chekhov, and composers Sergei Prokofiev and Dmitri Shostakovich.
- Mitinskoe Cemetery
- Pantheon, Moscow - a project in the 1950s to construct a monumental memorial tomb in Moscow, Soviet Union
- Pyatnitskoye cemetery
- Rogozhskoye cemetery in Moscow is the center of Old Believer community in Russia and the world.
- Troyekurovskoye Cemetery - burial site for Anna Politkovskaya, Alexander Yakovlev, and Boris Fyodorov
- Vvedenskoye Cemetery - cemetery of the former German community in Moscow
- Vagankovskoye Cemetery, Moscow, Russia is the burial site for Inga Artamonova, Vladimir Vysotsky, Sergei Grinkov, Sergei Yesenin and others.
- Novodevichy Cemetery is part of the eponymous convent in St. Petersburg.
- Peter and Paul Fortress, Petersburg - all Russian Tsars since Peter the Great are buried in the cathedral.
- Piskarevskoye Memorial Cemetery, Saint Petersburg - burial ground for the victims of the Siege of Leningrad and probably the largest cemetery in the world by the number of people interred.
- Smolensk Cemetery was the traditional place of burial for the professors of the Imperial Academy of Arts and St. Petersburg University
- Tikhvin Cemetery at the Alexander Nevsky Monastery, Saint Petersburg, Russia. Among those interred here is author Fyodor Dostoevsky, scientist Mikhail Lomonosov, and composer Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky.
- Volkovo Cemetery one of the largest non orthodox cemeteries in Saint Petersburg
- The so-called 'Mafia cemetery' where murdered gangsters were buried under elaborately decorated gravestones.
Cemeteries with Polish sections
In Tver Oblast