List of choking deaths
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This is a list of notable people who have died by choking.
- 405 BC: Sophocles (91), Diodorus Siculus claims Sophocles choked on a grape-seed in a cup of wine.
- circa 200: Lucius Fabius Cilo, Pliny the Elder claims "Chilo" perished from choking on a single hair in a draught of milk.
- 453: Attila the Hun (47), although cause of death is disputed.
- 1065: Godwin, Earl of Wessex (~55), reported (by Aelred of Rievaulx) to have choked to death at a Winchester banquet with Edward the Confessor after asking God to witness his claimed innocence in the death of Edward's brother.
- 1635 Tom Parr (152)
- 1946: Alexander Alekhine (53), autopsy indicates heart attack, but supposed witness claimed choking.
- 1956: Tommy Dorsey (51)
- 1957: Raymond Griffith (62)
- 1960: Air Marshal Subroto Mukerjee (49), first Chief of the Air Staff of the Indian Air Force (IAF), died on 8 November 1960 at Tokyo by choking on a piece of food lodged in his windpipe.
- 1963: Skinnay Ennis (55)
- 1967: Jimmie Foxx, famous Major League Baseball player, died by choking on a bone on 21 July 1967 aged 59.
- 1970: Jimi Hendrix (27), choked on his aspirated vomit while unconscious with barbituates.
- 1971: T. V. Soong (76), former premier of Republic of China
- 1978: Dingle Foot (72), well known British politician and brother to future Labour Party Leader Michael Foot died in a Hong Kong hotel after choking on bone in a chicken sandwich.
- 1981: Christy Brown (49)
- 1983: Tennessee Williams, playwright, reportedly died after choking on a bottle cap on 25 February 1983 aged 71.
- 2009: Christopher Nolan (43)
- 2015: Praful Bidwai (66), Indian journalist and activist, died by choking on food on 23 June 2015 at a conference in Amsterdam.[circular reference]
- 2017: American rapper Prodigy (42) of Mobb Deep, died by accidental choking.
- Diodorus Siculus, B. xiii. c. 14
- Douglas, David C. (1990) William the Conqueror: The Norman Impact Upon England London: Methuen. ISBN 0-413-24320-6, pp. 412-413.
- "The Saga of a Soaring Legend". www.indianairforce.nic.in. IAF. Retrieved 20 January 2015.
- "Jimmie Foxx Obituary". Retrieved 15 June 2007.
- Brown 1997, pp. 172–174 harvnb error: no target: CITEREFBrown1997 (help): Coroner Gavin Thurston's September 28 inquest Moskowitz 2010, p. 82 harvnb error: no target: CITEREFMoskowitz2010 (help): Hendrix's September 21 autopsy.
- "Biography of Tennessee Williams". IMDB. Retrieved 15 June 2007.
- Praful Bidwai#cite note-4
- "Mobb Deep rapper Prodigy died of accidental choking".