List of cities and towns in Namibia
Cities and towns in Namibia are distinguished by the status the Government of Namibia has vested in them: Places in Namibia that are governed by a municipality are cities, places with a town council are towns.
As of 2015[update] Namibia has thirteen cities, each of them governed by a municipality council that has between 7 and 15 seats. Compared to towns, cities have the authority to set up facilities like public transport, housing schemes, museums, and libraries without the approval of the Minister of Urban and Rural Development. They may also decide to privatise certain services and to enter into joint ventures with the private sector without asking for explicit approval. The thirteen cities are:
|Cities in Namibia|
|City||Region||Census 1991||Census 2001||Census 2011|
As of 2015[update] Namibia has 26 towns, each of them governed by a town council that has between 7 and 12 seats. Compared to villages, towns have the authority to set up facilities like ambulance and fire fighting services and electricity supply without the approval of the Minister of Urban and Rural Development. They are also responsible for erecting and maintaining community buildings, and they may buy and sell movable property without asking for explicit approval. The 26 towns are:
|Towns in Namibia|
|Town||Region||Census 1991||Census 2001||Census 2011|
|Helao Nafidi||Ohangwena||---||--- (established 2004)||19,375|
- Hartman, Adam (27 Aug 2010). "Town regrading a 'sad move'". The Namibian. Archived from the original on 2012-03-17.
- "Know Your Local Authority". Election Watch (3). Institute for Public Policy Research. 2015. p. 4.
- "Table 4.2.2 Urban population by Census years (2001 and 2011)" (PDF). Namibia 2011 - Population and Housing Census Main Report. Namibia Statistics Agency. p. 40. Retrieved 19 May 2017.
- "Local Authorities". Association of Local Authorities in Namibia (ALAN). Retrieved 1 October 2012.
- "City of Windhoek Cooperations and Partnerships" (PDF). City of Windhoek. Archived from the original (PDF) on 16 February 2012. Retrieved 9 August 2011.
- Cloete, Luqman (3 August 2011). "Oranjemund proclaimed as town after long battle". The Namibian.
- Shaanika, Helvy (7 September 2011). "Ruacana unveils new road, hall". New Era.
- Alliance of Mayors and Municipal Leaders on HIV/AIDS in Africa
- Commonwealth Local Government Forum Country Profile: Namibia
- Government Gazette of the Republic of Namibia, 1 September 2000, No.2402