List of cities conquered by the Ottoman Empire
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Part of a series on the
|Military of the
The list of major cities conquered by the Ottoman Empire is below. Since it is impossible to include all cities, only the most populous cities, capitals and the cities with strategical or historical importance are shown.
This following list, the first column shows the year of the conquest.[dn 1] Some of the cities (like Tabriz, Yerevan or Belgrad) had been conquered more than once. In this case, only the first conquest has been shown. The second column shows the name of the city (where necessary, the Ottoman Turkish name and/or the contemporary Turkish name has also been given in parathesis), the third column shows the holder before conquest and the fourth column shows the present country. In the fifth column links to the article in this encyclopedia for the details of the conquest (where applicable).
- List of Ottoman Empire territories
- Battles involving the Ottoman Empire
- List of Ottoman sieges and landings
- Not all cities were conquered by military force. Some were included within Ottoman realm voluntarily.
- Disputed territory
- Fall of the Kingdom of Bosnia
- Faik Reşit Unat: Tarih Atlası, Kanaat yayınları, İstanbul, 1991, p.29 (in Turkish)
- Prof. Dr. Yaşar Yücel-Prof. Dr. Ali Sevim: Türkiye tarihi, AAKTDYK yayınları, İstanbul, 1991,[page needed] (in Turkish)
- Lord Kinross :Osmanlı İmparatorluğun Yükselişi ve Çöküşü (The Ottoman centuries, Trans.Meral Gaspıralı) Altın Kitaplar, İstanbul, 2008, ISBN 978-975-21-0955-1,[page needed] (in Turkish)