List of cities founded by Alexander the Great
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Alexander the Great founded, or substantially re-established, or renamed, several towns or cities.
They are (with present-day locations):
- Alexandropolis Maedica, in Thrace, modern Bulgaria.
- Alexandria in Troas, modern Dalyan in Turkey.
- Alexandria by the Latmus, possibly Alinda, Turkey.
- Alexandria near Issus; İskenderun in Turkey preserves the name, but probably not the exact site.
- Tyre, Lebanon.
- Gaza City, Palestine.
- Alexandria, Egypt.
- Alexandria Ariana, now Herat, Afghanistan.
- Alexandria Prophthasia, perhaps Farah, Afghanistan.
- Alexandria Arachosia, now Kandahar, Afghanistan.
- Alexandria on the Caucasus, now Bagram, Afghanistan.
- Alexandria Eschate, at or close to modern Khujand, Tajikistan.
- Alexandria on the Oxus, probably Ai-Khanoum, Afghanistan.
- Six cities north of the Oxus, one of which may be Termez, Uzbekistan.
- Alexandria in Margiana, formerly Merv, Turkmenistan.
- Arigaeum, modern Nawagai, Bajaur, Pakistan.
- Nicaea and Alexandria Bucephalous (Bucephala), somewhere in modern Punjab, Pakistan.
- Alexandria on the Hyphasis; Hyphasis is the modern Beas River, India.
- Alexandria on the Indus, possibly Uch, Pakistan, and another town on the Indus.
- Patala and Xylinepolis, unknown, possibly near Hyderabad, Sindh, Pakistan.
- Alexandria in Orietai near Rhambacia, possibly Bela, Pakistan.
- Alexandria Carmania, unknown location in Iran.
- Alexandria in Susiana, later Charax Spasinu, Persian Gulf.
- Alexandria in Opiania, Ghazni, Afghanistan.
- "Alexander's City Foundations". Livius.org. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
|This article includes a list of related items that share the same name (or similar names).|