List of cities in Chhattisgarh by population
In the census of India 2011, an Urban Agglomeration has been defined as follows:
“An urban agglomeration is a continuous urban spread constituting a town and its adjoining outgrowths (OGs), or two or more physically contiguous towns together with or without outgrowths of such towns. An Urban Agglomeration must consist of at least a statutory town and its total population (i.e. all the constituents put together) should not be less than 20,000 as per the 2001 Census. In varying local conditions, there were similar other combinations which have been treated as urban agglomerations satisfying the basic condition of contiguity.”
Constituents of Urban Agglomerations in Chhattisgarh
The constituents of Urban Agglomerations in Chhattisgarh, with a population of 1 lakh or above, are noted below:
- Raipur Urban Agglomeration includes Raipur (M Corp.), Deopuri (OG), Boriakhurd (OG) and Birgaon (M).
- Bilaspur Urban Agglomeration includes Bilaspur (M Corp.), Ameri (OG), Uslapur (OG), Mangla (OG), Khamtrai (Partly OG), Behtrai (Partly OG), Mopka (Partly OG), Tifra (NP), Sirgiti (NP), Lingiyadih (CT) and Deori (CT)
- Durg-Bhilainagar Urban Agglomeration includes: Durg (M Corp.), Bhilai Nagar (M Corp.), Dumardih (part) (OG), Bhilai Charoda (M), Jamul (M), Kumhari (M) and Utai (NP).
- Korba Urban Agglomeration includes: Korba (M Corp.) and Dondro (partly OG).
- Raigarh Urban Agglomeration includes Raigarh (M Corp.), Boirdadar (OG), Benderchua (OG), Bade Attarmuda (OG), Amlibhauna (OG), Kalmi (partly OG), Bhagwanpur (OG) and Kishanpur (partly OG).
- Ambikapur Urban Agglomeration includes Ambikapur (M Corp.), Nawagarh (OG), Bhagawanpur Khurd (OG) and Shubhashnagar (OG).
- Dhamtari Urban Agglomeration includes: Dhamtari (M), Ratna Bandha (OG), Rudri (OG), Shyamatarai (OG) and Arjuni (OG).
- Mahasamund Urban Agglomeration includes : Mahasamund (M), Bemcha(OG), Kharora(OG), Machewa(OG), Khaira(OG), Baronda(OG), Labhra(OG), Parsada(OG).
Urban Agglomeration constituents
Urban Agglomerations constituents with a population above 100,000 as per 2011 census are shown in the table below.
|Urban Agglomeration||Name of Constituent||District||Type*||Population 2011||Male||Female||Population
below 5 yrs
|Raipur||Raipur||Raipur district||M Corp.||1,010,087||519,286||490,801||124,471||72.90|
|Durg - Bhilai||Durg - Bhilai||Durg district||M Corp.||894376||458791||435585||82175||91.17|
|Bilaspur||Bilaspur||Bilaspur district||M Corp.||330,106||169,738||160,368||36,448||50.76|
|Korba||Korba||Korba district||M Corp.||363,210||188,514||174,606||45,354||84.28|
|Rajnandgaon||Rajnandgaon district||Rajnandgaon district||M Corp.||263122||131,249||131,873||45000||95.94|
|Raigarh||Raigarh||Raigarh district||M Corp.||100,097||70,234||66,863||16,576||87.55|
|Jagdalpur||Jagdalpur||Bastar district||M Corp.||125,345||63,910||61,435||13,804||85.44|
|Ambikapur||Ambikapur||Surguja district||M Corp.||114,575||59,673||54,902||12,995||88,20|
|Chirmiri||Chirmiri||Koriya district||M Corp.||103,575||52,673||54,902||12,995||88,80|
- "Urban Agglomerations and Cities" (PDF). Provisional Population Totals, Census of India 2011. Retrieved 2012-04-16.
- "Constituents of urban Agglomerations Having Population 1 Lakh & above" (PDF). Provisional Population Totals, Census of India 2011. Retrieved 2012-04-16.
- "Cities having population 1 lakh and above" (PDF). Provisional Population Totals, Census of India 2011. Retrieved 2012-04-16.